• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no first-party PlayStation exclusive games until april 2025 (at the earliest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Sad The Office GIF

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Topher

Gold Member

Oh wait......this is the exact same info Sony already announced.

lol....close thread

We already knew no "major ips" would be released.

But still PS5 is getting games left and right. Literally FFVII Rebirth is right there. Rise of the Ronin releases in March, Helldivers 2 just released. Stellar Blade in April. A new MLB game is releasing as well.

It's not like games need to be released from their studios. At least Helldivers 2 and FFVII Rebirth are 5 star quality games...i don't get the obsession which studios does what as long the games are good lol.

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
Isn't that expected? How many first party studios does Sony have, 20-30? Out of them, how many release heavy hitters, 5-6? Most of those released a game in this decade, and since developing AAA games takes 4-5 years if we're optimistic, this news is ... expected?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Close thread..just especulation on old news... its not even "leaked" stuff

And I agree with the reddit post.. we wont see anything meaningful from Sonys 1st party until april next year. But then again their last 03 games I only bought one (FW) and couldn't play more than a few hours with that insufferable protagonist. Ragnarok and Spider Man after what I saw i'll only play if they come to psplus or deep deep discount. Storytelling has gone to shit in sony hq.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is a major failure from Sony management, they just had an incredible year sales-wise that completely buried Xbox and could have built off the momentum but have nothing. We're in the fourth full year of PS5, for comparison year 4 of PS4 was 2017 and saw Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity Rush 2, WipeOut Omega Collection, and Uncharted Lost Legacy. This is when they should be firing on all cylinders. Very bizarre.

Killjoy-NL

On the flip-side, this indicates that Playstation will most likely end this gen with major release after major release, rolling into next-gen.

Similar to PS3.

Edit:

And let's be honest, there is no competition for PS5 anymore, so Sony has some breathing room to reorganize and adjust their planning accordingly.

Last edited:

Senua

On the flip-side, this indicates that Playstation will most likely end this gen with major release after major release, rolling into next-gen.

Similar to PS3.

Edit:

And let's be honest, there is no competition for PS5 anymore, so Sony has some breathing room to reorganize and adjust their planning accordingly.
mr burns GIF

BbMajor7th

Lots of mismanagement behind the scenes. Right now, that's being obscured by strong commercial performance and the pay-offs of legacy decision-making. PlayStation Studios' reliance on remakes, sequels, spins-offs and remasters suggests that current leadership are hoping to leverage historic successes, rather than forge their own. The lack of confidence in Helldivers 2 suggests they didn't see the obvious potential in the game's fresh format. Meanwhile, half the live service games they greenlit themselves already seem to have been cancelled, with others hit by delays. The numbers might say 'winning', but a closer look suggests the coming years could be tough.

StereoVsn

I guess next game I am personally looking toward is Ghost of Tsushima 2.

Spider-Man 2 and God of War 2 I haven’t played yet but don’t have much interest, maybe if I pick them up for $20. Horizon 2 was meh. I disliked TLOU 2.

Well, lol, I guess I won’t be getting PS5 Pro as the only Sony exclusive this year that I am looking to get is FFVII Rebirth. Maybe Rise of Ronin if that is not going to get a PC release.

Elios83

Old news and inaccurate.
They won't release sequels to existing major franchises.
New IPs (like Concord) and other stuff will be launched.

Isn't that expected? How many first party studios does Sony have, 20-30? Out of them, how many release heavy hitters, 5-6? Most of those released a game in this decade, and since developing AAA games takes 4-5 years if we're optimistic, this news is ... expected?
Sony has 20 studios and yet still can't get a game out the door. Microsoft in other hands has 40+ studios if they get the act together they could pump out double the digits sony would able to offer

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

People can laugh all they want, but it's pretty clear what Sony's plan is atm.

Besides, the ones laughing are probably also part of the group that thought MS had gold in their hands with GP and that they would make a comeback this gen.

Elios83

It’s amazing the hardware sales they’re having with the games they’re offering.

There's nothing weird given that tons of great games are released and are exclusives.
See Helldivers 2, FF7 Rebirth, Rise of Ronin and Stellar Blade all in a few months.
Gamers don't look at who's making the games and under which contract.
Sony is offering a great flow of games anyway, competition just not.

Helldivers 2
FFVII: Rebirth
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Concord

Fairgames might get pushed to next year, considering this is Sony first big foray into live service games, and fearing anything more than 2 games a year might backfire.

I’m fine with it , since has been nonestop with exclusives all these yrs as much as it suck’s they eventually have to slow down . Also competition doesn’t put pressure on them like they should. Even Sony needs a break.

This sucks but can’t blame them other consoles have been dry in this department for yrs

Roxkis_ii

Are games still coming out? Then I don't see the issue. Thrid parties devs treat Playstation gamers pretty well imo.

killatopak

2024 seems like it's going to be pretty dire for games in general, not just Xbox and Playstation.
I'm sorry?

Just take your mind off of 1st party games for second and you'll recognize 2024 will be another big year like 2023.

Maybe they don't exactly align with your taste but imo it's a great year. So many games from the start of the year until June.

Ozzie666

Never mind the hardware not holding up, the developers can’t keep up with current hardware on reasonable budgets or time lines. Worts gen ever, the tail end better be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom