• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no first-party PlayStation exclusive games until april 2025 (at the earliest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2024 seems like it's going to be pretty dire for games in general, not just Xbox and Playstation.
I mean, we've had Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Like a Dragon, Persona 3 Remake, Helldivers 2, POP Lost Crown, we're getting Dragon's Dogma 2, Elden Ring expansion, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, etc. It's pretty amazing so far.
I'll never be able to play all these games and I won't finish my backlog, so whatever. I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

No major franchises. This could mean Concord or Astrobot can still come.

Either way, its time Hermen leaves, fired or whatever way you want to put. Jim is going, Hermen should join him. Apart from the new Kojima IP exclusive for PS, he’s done awful for PS studios

Kokoloko85

I mean, we've had Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Like a Dragon, Persona 3 Remake, Helldivers 2, POP Lost Crown, we're getting Dragon's Dogma 2, Elden Ring expansion, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, etc. It's pretty amazing so far.
I'll never be able to play all these games and I won't finish my backlog, so whatever. I'm fine with it.

Games are great.
But thats no reason for PS studio games to be absent. They should be aiming for 2+ games a year, like always

Games are great.
But thats no reason for PS studio games to be absent. They should be aiming for 2+ games a year, like always
I agree with you, PS Studios should be delivering regularly.
But you specifically said , "2024 seems like it's going to be pretty dire for games in general," which I don't think it is, and it's what I responded to.

Last edited:
So when will that be?
Who Knows Idk GIF

Why ask me?

makaveli60

Hahaha. We thought if the last batch of crossgen games come out we will finally see some ps5 exclusives. Awesome. Maybe we will finally see what the ps5 can do once the ps6 releases

Bond007

I'm good- I mean, Helldivers, FF Rebirth, and all the usual steady stream of 3rd party games throughout the year. Its not like we are gonna have some sort of good game drought on the PS front.
The narrative doesnt change on the PS front- they been feeding us great exclusives for years. They probably earned the lull of a few months.

Last edited:

Duchess

See, what'll probably end up happening is that Sony will then deluge PS5 gamers with first party exclusives throughout 2025, at which point we'll be hearing about how Sony is releasing too many titles, too quickly, and gamers' wallets can't keep up.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If no first party Sony games are coming out this year then might Sony look to offset that revenue loss by porting more games to PC this year?

killatopak

If no first party Sony games are coming out this year then might Sony look to offset that revenue loss by porting more games to PC this year?
That would actually require them to plan ahead and foresee they don’t have anything huge to release this year. I’m inching more that they got caught with their pants down with so many cancelled games like Factions and Twisted Metal. Look at all their cancelled games and those that are releasing this year. It seems they’re all gaas.

Last edited:
No major franchises. This could mean Concord or Astrobot can still come.

Either way, its time Hermen leaves, fired or whatever way you want to put. Jim is going, Hermen should join him. Apart from the new Kojima IP exclusive for PS, he’s done awful for PS studios
All of Sony's premiere studios are seemingly on schedule for a 2026 or 2027 release. Those years will certainly be packed. It would obviously be better if their studios had staggered releases but sadly that is not the case

I still think things are going OK at Playstation. They mostly got rid of PSVR2 and gaas personnel. Their big single player studios got left alone, besides Naughty Dog and Insomniac. Both of which certainly over hired for cancelled gass games in recent years. Guerilla layoffs is the only one that is somewhat concerning

If Sony can get 2 big GAAS hits I think they would chalk that up as a win. Helldivers 2 is obviously 1. If Concord, Fairgame, and Horizon online can be a similar hit, then I think most people would characterize their gaas strategy a success

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
First party?
Right. PS2 was nowhere close to the 1st Party behemoths that the PS3 and 4 were. Not saying it had nothing, but Sony got much better with later PlayStations.

What’s crazy to me is that people reduce what PS5 has already offered. I did a comparison a few months ago that showed the gap between 4 & 5 was hardly some major difference. And it’s not just “people not wanting to lose their libraries”. PS5 has provided a good mix of everything between 1st and 3rd Party. It’s selling so well because people KNOW what to expect from a PlayStation. 2024 has started with three bangers, for example.

They have that Nintendo effect to a large degree and it works.

Last edited:
First party, son.
FF7 Rebirth? I forgot about this first party PlayStation game. You can also list Ronin and Stellar Blade too.
Where in this post (in which my response was to) was mention of first party?

It’s amazing the hardware sales they’re having with the games they’re offering.

Pretty obvious "games they're offering" is a key component to their hardware success. Hence why your comment is ironic sandwiched between two such games.

MiguelItUp

Which is so weird for me to digest when we're "approaching the PS5 Pro era." I guess it is a good window for them to focus more on remasters, PC ports, etc.

Sony will be more than just fine, it's just odd. So many odd things going on in the industry the past few weeks/months.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Sony need more studios asap or they will be in a bad situation on the long term. 1-2 games every 2 years doesn't justify a console.

With this situation i bet there will be no showcase this year since they have nothing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sony need to get its shit together.

I'm not for rushing games but gimme something to get hyped for, a 10 min vertical slice for a couple of games or something.

Last edited:
Where in this post (in which my response was to) was mention of first party?

Pretty obvious "games they're offering" is a key component to their hardware success. Hence why your comment is ironic sandwiched between two such games.

The thread is literally about PS studios. Not going to reply anymore, who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom