• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

Conezays

After an hour or two fumbling around would appreciate a hint regarding end-game (?) area:

I can't seem to touch the thimbleweed plants in the forest with any character. I certainly don't have any gloves on me and items like the wrench, etc. do not work. Any subtle hints would be appreciated. I assume I have to complete this portion before dealing with Franklin in Chuck's tomb; correct me if I'm wrong.

Granjinha

After an hour or two fumbling around would appreciate a hint regarding end-game (?) area:

I can't seem to touch the thimbleweed plants in the forest with any character. I certainly don't have any gloves on me and items like the wrench, etc. do not work. Any subtle hints would be appreciated. I assume I have to complete this portion before dealing with Franklin in Chuck's tomb; correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you remember who actually made the Thimbleweed Pies? That could help

yeah, but how do I "pick it up"?

Dolores may have something (if you picked it up in the first place)

Give a look at all your items in her inventory.

To make a thimble pie?

Who used to own a cake shop?

lol

Someone did the George Costanza answering machine message in the B index of the phone book.

Going through every phone number. There's some pretty good ones in here.

mekakitsune

Neo Member
Dump it in the puddle at the trailhead, then leave and come back

Now i know what happened - other characters kept walking by and it didn't allow me to dump the waste in the puddle! "Better not do this while other people are watching". I didn't take the hint from the dialogue... now it works. ugh! thank you

halfbeast

Banned
finished it. man, went full idiot when trying to
cool the pillowtron thingy by chilling chuck's sarcophagus as franklin. yeah...

Corpekata

Banned
Stuck early chapter 6. Not really sure what to go forward with:

Factory key seems obvious route, but I have no clue how to get it from the bank. Presumably something to do with stopping the annoying phone calls?

I know the solution to helping Reyes get Willie to repair his watch, but I don't have the record of the music he likes to play.

I got the wrench from the Pigeon Brothers after getting them called to the hotel. Seems like something I solved early.

Got the red gel decoder and the hint book, but seems like that will be something later.

Granjinha

Stuck early chapter 6. Not really sure what to go forward with:

Factory key seems obvious route, but I have no clue how to get it from the bank. Presumably something to do with stopping the annoying phone calls?

I know the solution to helping Reyes get Willie to repair his watch, but I don't have the record of the music he likes to play.

I got the wrench from the Pigeon Brothers after getting them called to the hotel. Seems like something I solved early.

Got the red gel decoder and the hint book, but seems like that will be something later.

About the key:
The banker complains about moans and stuff on the phone, right? Hmm, i wonder who can do sounds like that, someone you could use..

About the record:
Check the thimblecon.

Erekiddo

This missing
tube for the factory
is still plaguing me.

I spoke with the
bakery turned tube woman, and she said no one had ever seen it in person, but if I had the plans, she could create one
. All I want to know at this time is,
is it behind Chuck's safe?

Granjinha

This missing
tube for the factory
is still plaguing me.

I spoke with the
bakery turned tube woman, and she said no one had ever seen it in person, but if I had the plans, she could create one
. All I want to know at this time is,
is it behind Chuck's safe?

Did you already do the part where
you guys read the will?

mekakitsune

Neo Member
You gain something with the will, right? That could help.

Hmm, maybe check Dolores computer?

did that, said it needs a more powerful programming language... tried to see if the library in the house had something on it, running into dead ends

EDIT: UGH... SO OBVIOUS I FIGURED IT OUT NOW! I am literally kicking myself.

Erekiddo

did that, said it needs a more powerful programming language... tried to see if the library in the house had something on it, running into dead ends

EDIT: UGH... SO OBVIOUS I FIGURED IT OUT NOW! I am literally kicking myself.

I literally solved this just now as well. Didn't realize it could be picked up.

Stating the obvious here, but this game is just so freaking good.
I love it.
Really hope that with Kickstarter, Steam and GOG etc... Ron and Co. have managed to make enough money to start another project!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is the
buried treasure
in the woods something I need, or just a callback?

Hmm who's this throwing up guy I don't remember him?

I just found the watch tools while wandering through the rooms as the ghost. I guess I hadn't opened the con up or something.

The guy with bottled ships, there's a puzzle where you find out what room he's in. Most people wouldn't go in 80 rooms to find them lol.

mekakitsune

Neo Member
now i'm stumped at the tomb. decoded the will. got the thimbleberry pie. can't figure out how to open the darn tomb.. hints?

sorry about the questions - got a busy job and i know if i don't get a little deeper into thimbleweed i won't have time for a number of weeks to come back to it after tonight =(

halfbeast

Banned
now i'm stumped at the tomb. decoded the will. got the thimbleberry pie. can't figure out how to open the darn tomb.. hints?

sorry about the questions - got a busy job and i know if i don't get a little deeper into thimbleweed i won't have time for a number of weeks to come back to it after tonight =(

doesn't the
lawyer open i
t? if not, do you got access to the
penthouse
? because this is one of the longer puzzles.

Erekiddo

This is definitely done by a long series of puzzles.
1. Get the ghost out of the elevator. You need to pick up ghost cake from the Con area, blow on it, and give it to her. Then you need to go to floor 10 and zap the TV to turn the cat show, then open the elevator doors to get her out.
2. Now with the ghost gone, send someone up to the penthouse to open up the door with glyphs on it. Place down the book of the dead and flowers on top of the altar.
3. Use the book as the ghost, and you'll be teleported to the cemetery.
4. Float through the grating, zap the switch

I might have missed some stuff, but that's the bulk of it.

All of the puzzles have been logical so far, but a few small ones definitely have tripped me up. Not overthinking it has helped, like the damn check stub one.

I'm on chapter 7 at the moment. It's funny how one puzzle solving leads to a bunch of dominoes falling.

Some small hints for those stuck on ones I was.

How do I find Chuck's lucky number?
When a big lottery win happens, where would information normally be found for the drawing results / winner?

How do I traverse the spooky forest path?
There's three parts to this forest. One leads to thimbleberries, the second leads to an easter egg, and the third leads to a Pizza Fan that is story related. For this, you'll need to utilize the puddle found in the beginning of the forest. What could you mix into the water that would show footsteps? Additionally, what do you have in someone's inventory that could hold such mixing material?

How can I show proof of payment to the lawyer?
If you needed to trace a check, where could you take a stub to determine its status?

Giving the flat-out solution to this one, as I can see it easily being missed.

How do I get Thimbleberries?
Once the story asks for Thimbleberry Pie, ask the pie-turned-bulb-lady and she'll give you berry picking mitts. The bush itself can be found in the spooky forest path.

mekakitsune

Neo Member
1. Get the ghost out of the elevator. You need to pick up ghost cake from the Con area, blow on it, and give it to her. Then you need to go to floor 10 and zap the TV to turn the cat show, then open the elevator doors to get her out.
2. Now with the ghost gone, send someone up to the penthouse to open up the door with glyphs on it. Place down the book of the dead and flowers on top of the altar.

All of the puzzles have been logical so far, but a few small ones definitely have tripped me up. Not overthinking it has helped, like the damn check stub one.

I'm on chapter 7 at the moment. It's funny how one puzzle solving leads to a bunch of dominoes falling.

When a big lottery win happens, where would information normally be found for the drawing results / winner?

There's three parts to this forest. One leads to thimbleberries, the second leads to an easter egg, and the third leads to a Pizza Fan that is story related. For this, you'll need to utilize the puddle found in the beginning of the forest. What could you mix into the water that would show footsteps? Additionally, what do you have in someone's inventory that could hold such mixing material?

If you needed to trace a check, where could you take a stub to determine its status?

Once the story asks for Thimbleberry Pie, ask the pie-turned-bulb-lady and she'll give you berry picking mitts. The bush itself can be found in the spooky forest path.

i must be missing something
i've given clara the cake and zapped the TV on the 10th floor to the cat channel but she won't leave the elevator

EDIT: figured it out... strange it was bugged for a bit

mekakitsune

Neo Member

No kidding about the dominoes - i jumped from part 5 to 6 in the same cutscene because of the out of order puzzle solving lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How do you even get in the tomb?

mattiewheels

See my list above. It'll apply to you too.

Also, just finished it. Amazing game. Post mortem later.
Ok, I guess I'm not at the right point yet. There are so many dead ends right now that it's hard to explain where I'm at right now. Dead ends: Ghost stuck in hotel, gate key nowhere to be found, tomb locked, no brush to use for fingerprint dust to complete investigation...I'm sure there's more.

Ok, I guess I'm not at the right point yet. There are so many dead ends right now that it's hard to explain where I'm at right now. Dead ends: Ghost stuck in hotel, gate key nowhere to be found, tomb locked, no brush to use for fingerprint dust to complete investigation...I'm sure there's more.

What act are you in? The act name tells you which thread needs progressing generally.

So does this suck balls like The Cave did?

Puzzle wise I think it's the best p&c ever. Perfectly straddles the two goals of being logic while remaining somewhat difficult.
Storywise it's pretty good I think, but I can see people not liking the ending - I'm not sure how I feel about it myself.

Only real downsides for me were not being able to use "look at" on people and the general lack of interaction between the main characters.

duckroll

Well I know WHY it sucked, I mean I played it. Which is why I'm asking if this sucks like it did. I'm wondering how he shat out a boring turd like The Cave if he is still capable of making a non-crap game! I find it hard to believe!

Top Bottom