• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This generaton has been a let down so far..

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I am not saying there has not been great games. What I am saying there is a ton of bullshit that stinks this generaton. Most of this is exempt for Nintendo. They are a company that still values quality.

-Releasing unfinished/broken games have become acceptable. It is to the point AAA games are releasing with problems.

-These consoles are not powerful enough. Framerate issues and exteme drop in resolution are common. 4k/60 is not realistic this generaton.

- Prices have gone up while the Quality has dropped. As a psn subscriber, I haven't played one of the ps+ free games in ages. The games are either really old or just shit. For that they are raising the price by almost 1/3? Insane! Game prices also increased while many are not finished at launch.

-The pandemic, scalpers, and shortages held the Series X and PS5 back. Developers stuck with the ps4/x1 userbase. Developing for lesser hardware as a factor has limitations. Everything cannot be scaled.

- The upsell is just ridiculous. From the 3 or more costly editions of every game to the season pass and cosmetic dlc.

I have a theory on this. The goal of any company is to make profits. There is also some companies that put pride and love in their products.

I believe the industry has shifted from passionate developers who generally wanted to make great games to corporate shills who care about nothing but profit.

It is not all doom and gloom. There are still a handful of companies that still make great games. It's the industry as a whole that is turning into a toilet.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Fear not.

Nintendo will save this gen as well. Brace for next week.

Super Mario Dancing GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What this gen delivered to me so far:

Favorite controller ever with dual sense
The amazing value of gamepass on PC
DLSS allowing for better performance in many titles

As far as games the list is so massive it’s not worth listing. Literally look at this year alone and no matter what device you play on, even mobile, you’ve been gifted amazing games to play.

If you’re so caught up in the negative that’s on you. Games got a lot better this year than in like a decade dude.

StereoVsn

All I know there are way too many games and way too little time. Hell, XSX and PS5 performance improvements for Xbox/PS4 games alone were worth it (to be fair mainly on PS side to start) early on.

Since then while peformance has been kind of dodgy on many games, there have been so many gems over last couple of years it's kind of crazy. Between various consoles and OC there have been literally dozens of great games.

kikkis

The consoles should have released in 2021. Releasing in 2020 in the middle of Covid was stupid and forced.
It's excuse really. Cod has released games just in time and most studios can't just delay games because of covid since they would run out of funding.

China will save us. I am waiting for the console with stolen Nvidia tech, Three times the memory and power for 1/3 the price.
plays all games From all developers whether they want you to or not.
Game companies will crash and burn all around the world and soon it will be Gatcha games out the wazoo.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I know what the implications are when I say that I hope for another video game crash. There simply is too many big fish being greedy and everyone trying to take every last dollar from you in every slimy way that they can. The market is saturated, its overwhelming. Let it crash. Let it die. From the ashes indies will thrive. The art form will survive, just not in its current form and I am more than okay with that.

PS Generations are always slow to deliver, aside of U4, the PS4 started delivering in 2017 onwards with HZD, GOW, Spider-Man 2, Days Gone, GoT, TLOU part II and others.

And then Covid happened which impacted the pipeline even more, but it’s good to see that more devs are opting for developing on current gent only.

Roni

Gold Member
The first next gen games are just starting to hit. COVID affected the development side of gaming a lot more than the manufacturing side. It's just one of those things: the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing.

Console manufacturers scrambled to start a new gen and make some cash with overpriced consoles, while developers were not ready to deliver the goods and still relied heavily on the last gen install base.

If anything, manufacturers should cooperate with developers a lot more and only release a new console when they're sure they can make it affordable, so the install base is not an issue, and devs have games ready to go. Otherwise, we'll just have more of this going forward.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Consoles are whisper quiet and games have very short load times, I’m fucking happy. Most performance issues this gen are due to Unreal Engine just like last gen. Stop blaming the hardware and start blaming the devs. Epic can’t even figure out how to add HDR properly to their engine leaving less capable devs releasing modern AAA without HDR. Games prices do however, very much suck.

Madflavor

New games for our favorite IPs taking 5-7 years to develop, has got to be the biggest kick in the fucking nuts imo. It was only a couple of generations ago we were getting new games every two years. Now it's double or triple that, for such diminishing return on graphics.

Some companies seem to have it figured out, like Capcom with Resident Evil, who seem to have two separate teams on rotation, so they can get new games out every 1-2 years.

This gen is just starting to roll, and it's almost half way through already. Also been really barren as far as quality, new gen titles go. In the AAA arena it looks really bleak as well. Thank God for indie and AA titles.

Metalman96

I’m a bit let down too so far. There’s definitely been some good ones like FF16 that I’ve enjoyed, but I expected a bit more coming up on the 3 year mark.

The consoles should have released in 2021. Releasing in 2020 in the middle of Covid was stupid and forced.
Really? Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Sackboy, Miles Morales, etc...Ratchet and Returnal a few months later...i really enjoyed the beginning of this generation.

That said, i still await for that moment that makes me think "yeah...this is next gen" and somehow it's been almost 3 years.

I saw a friend replaying The Last of Us 2 a few days ago and i couldn't stop thinking how most of this current gen hasn't impressed in many things that this last gen game does.

Bethesda has been releasing games left and right and i still feel like their engine(s) is/are stuck during the Xbox 360 / PS3 gen.

Spider-Man 2 which is a next-gen title looks good but from a level design point of view and mission design it's still the same old "crap".
Ragnarok released and you could have that "cross-gen" feeling at every single corner even if i enjoyed the game. We all know it's true.

The obsession with services is honestly the biggest change this gen and it's something i'm hating already.

I have a PS5, and i went back to a PS4 a few days ago and i'd never go back to that Dual Shock 4, that slow as fuck OS, that HDD, etc... I'm loving the PS5 OS, how fast everything is, the store is much better, i like the Dual Sense, etc...but i really think this gen will get here by 2025 at this point and we'll be getting those last 3 years of great games (from 2025 to 2028). For a gen that started in 2020 this is terrible.

One thing i know for sure: I won't be buying a new console this soon next gen.

There’s truth in the OP’s post. I feel the biggest reason it seems like game quality, quality control, creativity and polish went down is because of the talent and less passionate people or “suit-and-ties” running most of these corporations that only care about profit.

What I really don’t like about this generation is game prices going up, the huge push for GAAS titles, lack of exclusives, less risk taking, broken/unfinished games, remakes/remasters over new IP’s, talk of Pro versions because the consoles are apparently underpowered, overpriced season passes, mandatory DLC and subscriptions increasing in prices, etc.

There’s definitely been good in this generation as well, but I see things getting worst as time goes on as greed seemingly overtakes all with these corporations.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
You mean the Nintendo that ships shoddy ass joycons, hands out a handful of roms now and then and refuses to sell them outside a subscription, and charges full price for archaic six years old hardware?
Yea i can't this thread seriously complains about graphics, and frame rate and excludes Nintendo when they should have released a pro model years ago lmao. oh yea and no matter how old the games are still 60$, and i see companies are starting to follow in Nintendo shoes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
this is a gen with most complete games and 60fps releases. I don’t understand.
Just because a patch is out, doesn’t mean the disc 1.0 version is unplayable. Most likely you wouldn’t tell the difference in most cases.

2023 has been an amazing year for software, but I do agree the prior few years have not been as good, with a few exceptions like Elden Ring. The next couple years I’d expect to be a lot better, like 2017 to 2019 for the PS4 when things really started to take off after a slow start. Devs are still recovering from COVID’s impact on their game pipeline.

Lupin25

The live-service initiate (mobile games for consoles) has done some damage on this gen as well.

Too many devs trying to compete like titans Rockstar & Take-Two in a field they’re not suited. Which in the end, only served to ruin their original vision for the games.

Other than that, by year 3, last-gen we only had games like Bloodborne, The Witcher & Uncharted 4 that were really worth buying a new console for. Returnal, Hi-Fi Rush, BG3, Starfield & Spider-Man 2 should hopefully start a good trend of ng only games going forward.

Looots of shitty trends as of late though. I agree with that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nintendo will save us and corporate that's can only win for so long. I agree it has been a very poor generation for the big consoles which is crazy because, like you said we have received some great games. It feels like you have to wait 6 months from every games release for them to be at a reasonable place.

I think the tide will turn but we are deep in the friction period.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I just find myself gravitating more towards Nintendo these days, FromSoftware aside.
Same. Those 2 are GOATed. Once in a while you also get a fantastic indie game like Hades and Tinykin.

The other major AAA devs and publishers have been phoning it in for years at this stage.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have a theory on this. The goal of any company is to make profits. There is also some companies that put pride and love in their products.

I believe the industry has shifted from passionate developers who generally wanted to make great games to corporal shills who care about nothing but profit

There's no way to release a console, a AAA, AA or even most indie games without taking business seriously. The numbers involved are just too big.

Also, sorry but I Lol'd at both Corporal and that you paired it with Shills.

GymWolf

Lol sorry i don't see it, i'm always full of games to play at any given moment, maybe you should take a pause if you feel the need to open a topic like in such a year full choke of great games like 2023.

Unironically, nintendo is the only publisher that i give no fucks about except for maybe a game every couple of years.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We've already gotten the Sony 1st party GOTG for PS5; it's called Returnal.

This is so true and it shows what state the industry is in. Let's think about this. Smaller studios or sections of studios release the genuine best games of the generation for originality and design on their hardware.

Ps5 : Returnal
XBOX: Hi Fi Rush

Both those titles are the best games for originality and pushing design imo and they are smaller projects.

Mainstream games are a mess.

Returnal genuinely is amazing. Loved that game.

Top Bottom