• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This generaton has been a let down so far..

supernova8

Banned
Devs are still recovering from COVID’s impact on their game pipeline.
I dunno, some games were already planned to be minimally modified versions of their last-gen predecessors long before COVID happened.

Miles Morales was cross-gen and, if we're being honest, is nowhere near a generational leap compared to Spiderman PS4.
Spiderman 2 (coming out soon) doesn't really look a whole lot better than Miles Morales (judging by the threads back when that longer trailer was released, most agree) despite being PS5 only

Gran Turismo 7 was cross-gen and, if we're being honest, is nowhere near a generational leap compared to GT Sport.
Forza Motorsport is coming out soon, more than a year after Gran Turismo 7 and yet doesn't seem to look much different from GT7 despite being Xbox Series (console) exclusive.

The next-gen only games not looking that much better than the stop-gap cross-gen launch stuff is more worrying because it makes me think the priority is "just get something out" as opposed to "let's really make the most of this hardware".

Basically the first time I can remember that the new gen's first party launch lineup was almost all cross-gen.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I’ve enjoyed the hell out of the Switch, but this is the first time I haven’t owned a PlayStation. I’m sure im missing some great games, but I just can’t seem to care enough to buy one.
I'm in the same boat. I was a die-hard PlayStation fan. Ever since leadership changed and it dropped Japan Studios, the brand felt really different. I think Nintendo has picked up some of the pieces for me.

Ozzie666

Longer development times, more bugs and unfinished titles, more cash grabs and micro transactions and ways to screw the customer, increasing subscriptions costs with no added value whilst making record profits, $70 games.

This generation hasn’t been great.

cireza

This generation has been boring for 12 years, and after that ?

As far as I am concerned, I have been gaming a lot on Xbox and I am quite happy with the games we have. I don't care if they are BC, One or Series games.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I will probably skip a gen entirely since 1986 when I've bought my first console, an Atari 2600.
I fear even Switch 2 will be a let down, since Nintendo decided to release TotK and SMBW and SM RPG on the old Switch, we would not see real nextgen games even on the next platform. People are so user to play (and like) old gen games on new platforms.

Ozriel

M$FT
China will save us. I am waiting for the console with stolen Nvidia tech, Three times the memory and power for 1/3 the price.
plays all games From all developers whether they want you to or not.

And yet the Chinese PC gaming handhelds launch at double the price of the Steamdeck.

Don’t hold your breath. Without a walled garden to enable subsidized hardware, you’ll never see that happen.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Sackboy, Miles Morales, etc...Ratchet and Returnal a few months later
A lot of those games are really just launch fodder... yeah i said it. Games like Sackboy, Astrobot and ratchet are really only material people will remember when going over the launch cycle of a console. the good shit has a while to come. Demons Souls, Miles Morales and Returnal are exceptions, though.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
and yeah the nintendo exceptions piss me off. They do similar shit. The sports titles they make for instance are complete dogwater. Many of their fan favorite franchises like Chibi Robo, Wario Land, Rhythm Heaven, F-Zero, Star Fox etc... are missing in action. Rare sales on any of their 60 dollar games and have the gall to charge 70 for TOTK. A complete lack of quality control and disregard for recent Pokemon titles. Constant persecution of fan projects and just fans in general. The terrible online that they have for Switch. And of course... Milking the same IPs that had their first release 40 years ago. Splatoon and Xenoblade are among the few games in their rotation that aren't 40 years old and counting.

Last edited:
I will probably skip a gen entirely since 1986 when I've bought my first console, an Atari 2600.
I fear even Switch 2 will be a let down, since Nintendo decided to release TotK and SMBW and SM RPG on the old Switch, we would not see real nextgen games even on the next platform. People are so user to play (and like) old gen games on new platforms.
Because of the install base, that why

Like how PS2 got God of War 2, months after PS3 launch even when it was extremely outdated by 2007

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
OP is absolutely correct. The best games this gen have been formulaic games with better production values. We have yet to truly see anything unique. I suspect that's going to change in 2024.

Roxkis_ii

The complaints in OP are retarded to me.
It seems like your just looking for reasons to be upset with gaming. If you no longer have an appreciation for gaming, maybe take a break.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I am not saying there has not been great games. What I am saying there is a ton of bullshit that stinks this generaton. Most of this is exempt for Nintendo. They are a company that still values quality.

-Releasing unfinished/broken games have become acceptable. It is to the point AAA games are releasing with problems.

-These consoles are not powerful enough. Framerate issues and exteme drop in resolution are common. 4k/60 is not realistic this generaton.

- Prices have gone up while the Quality has dropped. As a psn subscriber, I haven't played one of the ps+ free games in ages. The games are either really old or just shit. For that they are raising the price by almost 1/3? Insane! Game prices also increased while many are not finished at launch.

-The pandemic, scalpers, and shortages held the Series X and PS5 back. Developers stuck with the ps4/x1 userbase. Developing for lesser hardware as a factor has limitations. Everything cannot be scaled.

- The upsell is just ridiculous. From the 3 or more costly editions of every game to the season pass and cosmetic dlc.

I have a theory on this. The goal of any company is to make profits. There is also some companies that put pride and love in their products.

I believe the industry has shifted from passionate developers who generally wanted to make great games to corporal shills who care about nothing but profit.

It is not all doom and gloom. There is still a handful of companies that still make great games. It's the industry as a whole that is turning into a toilet.
Well Nintendo have been the sequel kings (and ports/remasters):

Metroid Prime Remaster
Advance Wars 1&2 Remaster
Pikmin 1&2 Remaster
Bayonetta 3
Octopath Traveler 2
Fire Emblem Engage
Zelda:TOTK
Etrian Odyssey Origins
Baten Kaitos 1&2 Remaster
Grim Grimoire Remastered
Pikmin 4
Super Mario RPG Remaster
Super Mario Bros Wonder

A lot of good games but I am sequel/remaster/ported out. Not one new IP. I don't recall any new IP's this year from Nintendo.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Look beyond AAA

PC is a haven for indies and shit that isn't made for popcorn munchers
AAA has been good this year. BG3, Street Fighter 6, Resi 4 Remake, Armored Core 6, and a lot of other good shit this year. Even Jedi Survivor for how much of a broken mess that game is in optimization... it's still ultimately a sequel to Jedi Fallen Order which was a great platformer game, and it seems to improve on fallen order in many aspects.

The list of great shit extends when you include AA and Indie but we've got some gold here that the OP and many people in this thread seem to ignore despite being showered with good shit for the past 9 months.

Last edited:
It certainly isn't the 2006 to 2010 PS3 era that's for sure haha.

It really isn't 2015 to to 2018 era either, though Starfield coming out definitely feels similar to the Fallout 4 craze that happened.

But after Spiderman 2 releases hopefully the Playstation devs especially will kick it into high gear. Since all of the studios have unnancounced games we may get back to back bangers alost every year after Spiderman 2.

Things will sure get interesting. I also can't wait to see actual gameplay of Hellblade 2 that isn't Senua crying in a cave lmao.

SenkiDala

no

it is again a pathetic immature thread from people having no idea what they are talking about :(

the generation is great, many great games, just play

Metnut

Seems like every month there’s another great game being released. RE4, FF16, Zelda TOTK, Starfield, BG3. That’s like 400+ hours of great gaming. What more do you want OP?

Stay off gaming forums and digital foundry if they are ruining games for you. Spend more time gaming and less time reading about games. This gen is kicking ass and it’s not even halfway over.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This generation has been great in my opinion. The hardware is excellent. Devs will always push the hardware to it's limits no matter what you provide them.

I am not saying there has not been great games. What I am saying there is a ton of bullshit that stinks this generaton. Most of this is exempt for Nintendo. They are a company that still values quality.
Many games from them and their partners have shitty resolutions and shitty performance. So everything is shit. You're welcome.

Valkyria

Banned
Every year a new batch of former teenagers turn 20 something and realize that the have became jaded and they no longer feel the amaze of novelty in gaming.
And thus we have this thread every year.

The same advice as ever. Walk away from gaming for a while. Maybe you will return, maybe not.

Aces High

There simply is too many big fish being greedy and everyone trying to take every last dollar from you in every slimy way that they can.
Agreed. Perfect example is GT7: The best Gran Turismo in ages and a brilliant racing game with a super addictive gameplay loop completely ruined by stupid microtransactions that suck out every bit of fun if you're not willing to spend real money on stupid virtual cars.

I have no problem with microtransactions if a game is free to play. But adding de facto inevitable microtransactions to a $70 game is an insult to me as a customer.

PeteBull

-These consoles are not powerful enough. Framerate issues and exteme drop in resolution are common. 4k/60 is not realistic this generaton.
Ps4 is 1,8tf gpu, ps5 is about 5,5x faster gpu(hell make it even 6x, if we count in architectural imrpovements) and about 3x faster cpu, that is extremly tiny jump vs for example ps1 to ps2 or ps2 to ps3.
Very obvious consequence of that is- games wont have that "next gen" look for the most part, simply coz going from 1080p30 on ps4 to 4k60 on ps5, on same game, so same assets, thats x8 pixel increase, so 7-8x gpu power is needed and 3x faster cpu is needed too.

Best we can get, graphics wise, on consoles is the matrix demo, but that dips under 20fps under heavy load, and isnt even running in 1440p, so if we only got as much(or rather: as lil) power as with ps5 or xsx- something gotta give, be it resolution, 60 fps, or graphics fidely, usually u will need to give up on 2 of the 3, As seen in the matrix demo or best looking "next gen" games aka demons souls, fh5, ratchet, horizon FW and its dlc, dunno what else we can put in there, lets not count in trailers of not realeased games coz those often(to not say always) are heavily downgraded at launch, especially if they look impressive before :)

Chronicle

I agree. Gow ragnarok was great but so far not amazing. I think this gen needs a stand out mp with great gameplay and graphics.

I don't agree that the consoles aren't powerful enough. They are orders of magnitude vastly superior to last-gen consoles. I think the issue is people want everything to run at native 4k/60 fps, and so what you see visually won't be impressive, because all the work being done is hitting those performance targets vs the traditional model of a large leap in fidelity from one console to the next.

I think this generation of consoles has been disappointing on the software side, because everyone has wanted everything to also run on last-gen, and combine that with the fact that some games are taking an entire console generation just to make, the wait time before we get into that phase of "every game coming out is made from scratch for this generation" has just barely started, and we're already three years in.

On the positive side, I do think that SSDs becoming the standard has been a huge improvement just on it's own, and will influence game design significantly in the long-term. Not having to make arbitrary paths or doors just so the rest of the level can load out-of-site from a slow ass HDD, etc.

PeteBull

I don't agree that the consoles aren't powerful enough. They are orders of magnitude vastly superior to last-gen consoles. I think the issue is people want everything to run at native 4k/60 fps, and so what you see visually won't be impressive, because all the work being done is hitting those performance targets vs the traditional model of a large leap in fidelity from one console to the next.
I even checked the meaning of what u said "orders of magnitude" which means at least 2x 10 faster(1 order of magnitude is 10x faster), which is lack of knowledge or if u got the knowledge a simple lie, ps5/xsx are smallest jump we had, powerwise, compared to ps1 to ps2 to ps3 to ps4, especially gpu wise, cpu wise that 3x increase is solid if we forget about 30 to 60fps but stick with 30.

Edit: If those current gen consoles(lets skip xss but focus on ps5 and xsx) were in reality "orders of magnitude" faster vs old gen, so at least 20x, not 6x, we would have matrix demo stable in 1800p 60fps, yet its not the case obviously

Watch it again, focus on performance and resolution info.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

Most of this is exempt for Nintendo. They are a company that still values quality.
You can't be serious. Talking about weak consoles but then praise Nintendo? They are the most prideful company (aka arrogant). I am really disappointed in Nintendo. Their inhouse games are great, no doubt. But everything else sucks. The Switch is such a bad platform and the way they are monetizing it is insulting to me. I never use the store on my Switch because the experience is so shitty, so laggy, so many years behind.
I remember how i could buy their classics for the 3DS and wiiu and then own them. Now i have to pay a monthly/yearly fee to access the Classics library and they take it away if i stop subbing - and the selection is really bad too. What kind of bullshit is that?

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Stop blaming the hardware and start blaming the devs.
Indeed. Absolutely nothing wrong with this gen's hardware. And people can't make up their minds! One minute — "waaaah, I'm so disappointed that they're not taking advantage of the hardware"! Then? "waaaah, the hardware sucks"!

Consider that this gen launched during a ONCE-IN-A-GENERATION fuckin' pandemic and maybe you won't be so jaded.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ONCE-IN-A-GENERATION fuckin' pandemic
Joe Biden Smile GIF

Humdinger

I feel the same, but I know it's me. My interest in games has been declining for years, so it's not about this generation specifically. I haven't played most of the outstanding recent games (e.g., Baldurs Gate 3, Elden Ring, TotK), and what I have played (e.g., HFW and Rift Apart) has been disappointing. So, it's down to my choices and an overall decline in my interest. I know that most people see this year in gaming as a real high-water mark.

PeteBull

Another proof how weak those current gen consoles are , u got top tier dev(Sony Santa Monica) who can squeeze out max out of ps4, and compare how lil upgrades u get on ps5, u dont even get 4k60, but 4k30 with some(but not crazy big) improvements over base ps4(fricken 1,8tf gpu comboed with tabled gpu).
ps4= flat 1080p30
ps4pr0= 2 modes, res= 1440-1656p dynamic res 30fps , perf mode=1080p-1656p(almost always 1080p tho, according to DF)- 35lowest, 60 only if u look at the bare sky, mostly 40-55fps.

ps5 got 4 modes
1)60fps 1440-4k dynamic, on avg spends most of the time in 1872p range, holds 60 well
2)30fps 4k flat, additional detail vs 60fps mode, better fur rendering, better shadows
3)high fps 1440p 80-90fps on avg, can dip below and rise above sometimes, basically works as 1440p flat with 60fps cap removed
4)40fps 1800-4k drs, locked 40.

Now if ps5(and xsx) would be trully amazing jump from last gen, we would get quality as in 4k30 mode but at least in stable 60fps or in that high fps mode with removed cap, that is 1440p- u would get stable 120fps, not 80-90 avg with dips to 70.

Robbinhood

Banned
Nintendo :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They ain't better than anyone else, in fact most of their games do nothing for me, nor would I buy overpriced 12 year old hardware to play those games. Games that never go on sale btw, worse than anything you can say about the other 2.

I'm swimming in games, I also avoid any sports game, Gaas, F2P garbo. And I would never pay more to play day 1. Avoid those scams and they will fail over time.

Wildebeest

Hardware stagnation meets an industry that relies on advances in hardware to make them look good, rather than making new types of game that surprise people or making content that stands out in other ways.

Ogbert

I think gaming, across the board, is waiting for the next big ‘thing’. The battle royale stuff is tired. Technology like VR hasn’t captured the mainstream.

Games look better, but they’re fundamentally the same.

Salz01

Sony has let me personally down this gen. Ratchet for me is still the best ps5 only game. Everything else mostly is cross gen outside of returnal and demon souls remake. And that’s been years ago. Spider-Man 2 is great, but after that its just seems GAAS everywhere and that bores me. Still waiting for Little Devil and Ass Blade. Microsoft is no better, but at least I know there are some big games to look forward to at some point. Nintendo is the most consistent. The hardware from Sony and Xbox kind of sucks and they over promised and underdelivered. I hate fiddling with PC though, but it’s like I’m forced to do it because of the raw power, free Internet, and great steam deals.

Sybrix

It's a question of scale.

I think if you experienced the PS2 > PS3 / Xbox > 360 generation, you aint seeing a jump like that again.

That was a true generational leap and nothing has come close since.

SD to HD is leaps and bounds ahead of HD to 4k/60/120fps etc. There is a clear jump in quality but it's no where as big as SD to HD was.

Temper your expectations in new generations.

AI will be the next be leap in games and how it's implemented but this wont be at the release of a new console, it'll be whatever the new game is at the time that adopts AI in a unique way.

MiguelItUp

Start of PS4 and XBone generation was so much worse.
I can't help but agree with this. Especially at the time there was nothing going on in the world. XSS & XSX and PS5 dropping while we were balls deep in COVID is at least an excuse for some issues here and there. I feel like PS4 and XB1 had no excuse to be in the position they were in at the time, it felt like forever too.

I think that was the first generation that felt like consoles pushed me away to be on PC more. I still dabbled, but hardly. I feel like I've dabbled with consoles more this gen than that one for sure. Though PC is where I primarily reside.

Indyblue

It is kinda funny how this gen was hyped as basically eliminate loading times and yet the two big games just released have pretty substantial loading times.

I even checked the meaning of what u said "orders of magnitude" which means at least 2x 10 faster(1 order of magnitude is 10x faster), which is lack of knowledge or if u got the knowledge a simple lie, ps5/xsx are smallest jump we had, powerwise, compared to ps1 to ps2 to ps3 to ps4, especially gpu wise, cpu wise that 3x increase is solid if we forget about 30 to 60fps but stick with 30.

Edit: If those current gen consoles(lets skip xss but focus on ps5 and xsx) were in reality "orders of magnitude" faster vs old gen, so at least 20x, not 6x, we would have matrix demo stable in 1800p 60fps, yet its not the case obviously

Watch it again, focus on performance and resolution info.

Hey dont question the Doctor!!

Top Bottom