• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This generaton has been a let down so far..

Fbh

I'm of two minds.
On the one hand I think the gen itself is disappointing in that it basically just feels like an extension of last gen. Nothing feels particularly new, everyone blamed it on "cross gen" but we are finally moving away from it and the vast majority of current gen only games are just more of the same with slightly better graphics and worse performance.

On the other hand I think the software output has been pretty solid. I don't know if my taste in games is too broad but I honestly don't get how some people keep up with all new releases without playing for like 4 hours a day.
Also while 3 years in all of my favourite Ps5 games are also on Ps4, I've still enjoyed playing them with far better performance than I would have gotten on my Ps4.

-These consoles are not powerful enough. Framerate issues and exteme drop in resolution are common. 4k/60 is not realistic this generaton.

This argument has never made much sense to me. Unless you want consoles to be 3-4X more expensive you won't get something that will run the newest engines at the highest possible setting.
It's up to devs to decide, we could get a gen with games that look like God of War Ragnarok, TLOU2, Forbidden West, RDR2, Battlefront2, etc all running at like 1440p (or more) and 60fps. We could get open worlds with fun interactive physics like Tears of the Kingdom and way nicer visuals.

But devs have decided that marginally better graphics and ray tracing are worth going back to 720p 45fps.

I don't know man...

- Almost instant load times thanks to SSDs
- Huge diversity of games
- God of War Ragnarok
- Returnal
- Demon's Souls
- Elden Ring
- Diablo 4
- Starfield
- Zelda TOTK
- FF16
- Baldur's Gate 3
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Dead Space Remake
- Resident Evil 4 Remake
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Game Pass
- Halo Infinite
- Forza Horizon 5
- Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
- Street Fighter 6
- Callisto Protocol
- Sea of Stars
- Blasphemous 2
- Armored Core 6
- Grounded
- Hi-Fi Rush
- Cyberpunk 2077

I am sorry I cannot hear or see what you are saying right over the awesome list of games that have been already released. This is not even including the rest of the releases for the rest of the year. This generation despite the pandemic already has far better and more games than the first 3 years of the PS4/X1 did. There is no argument here, that's just a fact.

With more coming this year

- Mortal Kombat 1
- Forza Motorsport Reboot
- Assassin's Creed Mirage
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
- Spiderman 2
- Alan Wake 2
- Payday 3
- Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2
- Super Mario Wonder
- Super Mario RPG Remake

-

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Fast loading and 60fps perf mode is all I asked for, and got it from most games I played. I'm happy.
I Love You Hug GIF

Caio

I agree with the OP : in 3 years, only crappy games like Demon's Souls Remake, TLOU Part I Remake, Dead Space Remake, RE 8, RE4 Remake, Elden Ring, GOW Ragnarok, Zelda TOTK, BG3, Starfield, GT7, Returnal, HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST, Microsoft Flight Simulator, FH5, RATCHET AND CLANK RIFT APART, Diablo IV, Street Fighter 6, Armored Core 6(yes, a blast to play), Sea of Stars, Spiderman2 coming very soon, and many other games coming, and so many other games I didn't even mention; but wait, we also got the annoying pandemic for 2 years in the middle. A very disappointing Gen, yeah yeah.

I agree with the OP : in 3 years, only crappy games like Demon's Souls Remake, TLOU Part I Remake, Dead Space Remake, RE 8, RE4 Remake, Elden Ring, GOW Ragnarok, Zelda TOTK, BG3, Starfield, GT7, Returnal, HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST, Microsoft Flight Simulator, FH5, RATCHET AND CLANK RIFT APART, Diablo IV, Street Fighter 6, Armored Core 6(yes, a blast to play), Sea of Stars, Spiderman2 coming very soon, and many other games coming, and so many other games I didn't even mention; but wait, we also got the annoying pandemic for 2 years in the middle. A very disappointing Gen, yeah yeah.
I see what you did there and I like it.

Jadsey

I don't know man...

- Almost instant load times thanks to SSDs
- Huge diversity of games
- God of War Ragnarok
- Returnal
- Demon's Souls
- Elden Ring
- Diablo 4
- Starfield
- Zelda TOTK
- FF16
- Baldur's Gate 3
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Dead Space Remake
- Resident Evil 4 Remake
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Game Pass
- Halo Infinite
- Forza Horizon 5
- Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
- Street Fighter 6
- Callisto Protocol
- Sea of Stars
- Blasphemous 2
- Armored Core 6
- Grounded
- Hi-Fi Rush
- Cyberpunk 2077

I am sorry I cannot hear or see what you are saying right over the awesome list of games that have been already released. This is not even including the rest of the releases for the rest of the year. This generation despite the pandemic already has far better and more games than the first 3 years of the PS4/X1 did. There is no argument here, that's just a fact.

With more coming this year

- Mortal Kombat 1
- Forza Motorsport Reboot
- Assassin's Creed Mirage
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
- Spiderman 2
- Alan Wake 2
- Payday 3
- Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2
- Super Mario Wonder
- Super Mario RPG Remake

-

Ironically, I looked at that list and thought ‘actually, the OP has a point…’

I don't see how fans of all different kinds of games aren't all getting buried with great games to play at the moment. And October will likely be the best month for releases of the year too, insane.

The only thing that has gotten worse since last gen is online discourse.

thief183

Lol sorry i don't see it, i'm always full of games to play at any given moment, maybe you should take a pause if you feel the need to open a topic like in such a year full choke of great games like 2023.

Unironically, nintendo is the only publisher that i give no fucks about except for maybe a game every couple of years.

This must be the first time I totally agree with you :))

I don't see how fans of all different kinds of games aren't all getting buried with great games to play at the moment. And October will likely be the best month for releases of the year too, insane.

The only thing that has gotten worse since last gen is online discourse.

I think a distinction should be made. It's not the games that are a problem. It's all the industry bullshit and greed

I think a distinction should be made. It's not the games that are a problem. It's all the industry bullshit and greed
Fair enough, but that is also not new. The first few years of last gen was the 900p v 1080p garbage, struggling to hit even 30FPS, terribly optimized, unfinished, bad games, etc.

Industry bullshit and greed is the only thing that we know will always carry over across all generations.

Crayon

I may be a manchild but when it comes to gaming I can take care of myself. It gets better all the time. I'm not a victim of $70 games for example. If the game is worth $70 I'll buy it and if it isn't I won't. I've been playing games for a minute now and fuck me if greedy companies are going to slow me down.

Nobody is forcing me to buy a $600 gpu. PSN prices going up? If the deal is so bad that means my money is better spent elsewhere. No problem. PS5 a glorified PS4? Save a grip and keep my PS4. Old games were better? Then play them and stfu.

I don't agree that the consoles aren't powerful enough. They are orders of magnitude vastly superior to last-gen consoles. I think the issue is people want everything to run at native 4k/60 fps, and so what you see visually won't be impressive, because all the work being done is hitting those performance targets vs the traditional model of a large leap in fidelity from one console to the next.

I think this generation of consoles has been disappointing on the software side, because everyone has wanted everything to also run on last-gen, and combine that with the fact that some games are taking an entire console generation just to make, the wait time before we get into that phase of "every game coming out is made from scratch for this generation" has just barely started, and we're already three years in.

On the positive side, I do think that SSDs becoming the standard has been a huge improvement just on it's own, and will influence game design significantly in the long-term. Not having to make arbitrary paths or doors just so the rest of the level can load out-of-site from a slow ass HDD, etc.
Compared Original Xbox to Xbox 360, its a bigger leap in specs in 4 years:

Original Xbox specs(2001):
-CPU: 32-bit 733 MHz Pentium 3
-GPU: Geforce 3, 233 MHz, 20 GFLOPS
-RAM: 64MBs DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz

Xbox 360 specs(2005):
-CPU: triple-core 3.2 GHz Xenon
-GPU: Between Radeon X1800 XT and X1900 XT, 500 MHz, 240 GFLOPS
-RAM: 512MBs GDDR3 RAM at 700 MHz + 10MBs of EDRAM at 500 MHz

What this gen delivered to me so far:

Favorite controller ever with dual sense
The amazing value of gamepass on PC
DLSS allowing for better performance in many titles

As far as games the list is so massive it’s not worth listing. Literally look at this year alone and no matter what device you play on, even mobile, you’ve been gifted amazing games to play.

If you’re so caught up in the negative that’s on you. Games got a lot better this year than in like a decade dude.
DLSS was last gen (2018) that's the year Spiderman (1) and God of War (1) launched.

SHA

The right plan for this nonsense,
-Buy a ryzen 7950 rig with a mid range gpu, and a switch 2
-Buy the base version of all your games and then consider the season pass "Don't lie to yourself, you won't need it eventually".

King Dazzar

First generation since PS1, where by the PlayStation became my primary platform again. So they must be doing something good. Or the other platforms aren't doing enough... Certainly love the haptics and adaptive triggers and the Edge is my favourite controller. I thought XSX started off well with its back compat and Auto HDR, but since then its rarely used unfortunately. Maybe that'll change as the generation continues.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
DLSS was last gen (2018) that's the year Spiderman (1) and God of War (1) launched.
I didn’t say it was introduced this gen, only that it’s allowing for more and more better performance . Games would look a lot different right now with DLSS 2.0 and 3.0 implementations.

I know many just want 4k native 60fps with Ray tracing and the works but it doesn’t seem feasible without DLSS.

This gen has allowed more devs to let different machines get better performance because of it. It’s become a standard for that or FSR to be launched with it.

This has to be the shittest gen I can remember. No reason to buy a Playstation or Xbox. Well I do have a PC so if I didn't have that I'd buy Xbox lol

Last edited:
I don't agree that the consoles aren't powerful enough. They are orders of magnitude vastly superior to last-gen consoles. I think the issue is people want everything to run at native 4k/60 fps, and so what you see visually won't be impressive, because all the work being done is hitting those performance targets vs the traditional model of a large leap in fidelity from one console to the next.

I think this generation of consoles has been disappointing on the software side, because everyone has wanted everything to also run on last-gen, and combine that with the fact that some games are taking an entire console generation just to make, the wait time before we get into that phase of "every game coming out is made from scratch for this generation" has just barely started, and we're already three years in.

On the positive side, I do think that SSDs becoming the standard has been a huge improvement just on it's own, and will influence game design significantly in the long-term. Not having to make arbitrary paths or doors just so the rest of the level can load out-of-site from a slow ass HDD, etc.
They certainly aren't powerful, they are strong compared to the 2012 hw in the PS4 but they are weak with all the modern technologies (UE5, RT, path tracing, AI upscaling, Frame Generation). The consoles do last generation tech well but once that standard is raised they struggle.

Wildebeest

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has plenty to play, but doesn't really have anything like the excitement I used to have for new games. After the summer hype fest, many, including me, were hoping that Starfield might help spark the old flames, but the result was something that was a let-down. The problem with negativity here is that people allowed themselves to have an unrealistic level of optimism.

PS Generations are always slow to deliver, aside of U4, the PS4 started delivering in 2017 onwards with HZD, GOW, Spider-Man 2, Days Gone, GoT, TLOU part II and others.

And then Covid happened which impacted the pipeline even more, but it’s good to see that more devs are opting for developing on current gent only.
2017 was 3 years after the PS4 launched. 2023 is 3 years after the PS5 launched.

mrcroket

For me this generation is great unless you're a pixel counter bitch (which is more absurd than ever) . We have almost totally silent consoles, with a lot of 60fps games, very fast to no load screens, totally backward compatibility with more stable performance and some games patches to the new gen. The people that complaint are mostly pc gamers that don't care or even don't have a console, or people that will complaint anyway no matter of good the consoles are.

b0uncyfr0

There's also this ; noone's pushing boundaries anymore cause people keep buying the same shitty games. Dev's are comfortable repeat rinsing aged mechanics cause gamers will still buy it. Why change if it's selling?

Heck, look at Starfield - its regressed in many ways (Loading screens everywhere) compared to Skyrim but its got 6 milion players. Like wtf..

RDR2 was the last game that wowed me. Hi Fi Rush was pretty up there too. I cant think of any games that've done something different?

Last edited:

Luipadre

It has its fair share of problems with unfinished game releases, shit ports, bad image quality and performances, but also incredibly game releases and this year is the best in like a decade so 🤷‍♂️

Luipadre

There's also this ; noone's pushing boundaries anymore cause people keep buying the same shitty games. Dev's are comfortable repeat rinsing aged mechanics cause gamers will still buy it. Why change if it's selling?

Heck, look at Starfield - its regressed in many ways (Loading screens everywhere) compared to Skytm but its got 6 milion players. Like wtf..

RDR2 was the last game that wowed me. Hi Fi Rush was pretty up there too. I cant think of any games that've done something different?

BG3 just came out

Alan Wake

It started very slow. Xbox had nothing at launch and Sony were just doing cross-gen titles. The pandemic certainly caused some problems overall. Three years in I think we're alright. Still haven't had that next-gen "wow" feeling but I think that when more and more games made in UE5 launches we'll get there. 2023 is a really great year with tons of amazing games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You mean the Nintendo that ships shoddy ass joycons, hands out a handful of roms now and then and refuses to sell them outside a subscription, and charges full price for archaic six years old hardware?
Switch 2 game line up.

3D Mario game #40
Mario Kart #15
Super Smash Bro #18
Zelda #12
Mario Party #20
Mario Sports or Tennis or Soccer #7

(Joycons were $100 in Canada. My nieces and nephews said they started getting drift a year in. But the Pro gamepad they bought is rock solid and was cheaper than the Joycon)

Last edited:

SHA

First generation since PS1, where by the PlayStation became my primary platform again. So they must be doing something good. Or the other platforms aren't doing enough... Certainly love the haptics and adaptive triggers and the Edge is my favourite controller. I thought XSX started off well with its back compat and Auto HDR, but since then its rarely used unfortunately. Maybe that'll change as the generation continues.
With all the money they make, they still don't make any sense, unless the cost of development has nothing to do with how much they make, which is probably the case for c.

I dunno, some games were already planned to be minimally modified versions of their last-gen predecessors long before COVID happened.

Miles Morales was cross-gen and, if we're being honest, is nowhere near a generational leap compared to Spiderman PS4.
Spiderman 2 (coming out soon) doesn't really look a whole lot better than Miles Morales (judging by the threads back when that longer trailer was released, most agree) despite being PS5 only

Gran Turismo 7 was cross-gen and, if we're being honest, is nowhere near a generational leap compared to GT Sport.
Forza Motorsport is coming out soon, more than a year after Gran Turismo 7 and yet doesn't seem to look much different from GT7 despite being Xbox Series (console) exclusive.

The next-gen only games not looking that much better than the stop-gap cross-gen launch stuff is more worrying because it makes me think the priority is "just get something out" as opposed to "let's really make the most of this hardware".

Basically the first time I can remember that the PS5 first party launch lineup was almost all cross-gen.

You're not wrong but I guess I am saying there's a sampling bias. The games that were cross-gen or not making the most of the hardware are easier to develop and that's why they are out. Anything really testing the limits of the system is taking longer, which is why we haven't seen those games yet. I still expect this gen to play out similar to the PS4 where a few tentpole games buoyed the console until the true influx of hits later on in its life-cycle.

RCU005

Releasing unfinished/broken games have become acceptable. It is to the point AAA games are releasing with problems.

hese consoles are not powerful enough. Framerate issues and exteme drop in resolution are common. 4k/60 is not realistic this generaton.

-The pandemic, scalpers, and shortages held the Series X and PS5 back. Developers stuck with the ps4/x1 userbase. Developing for lesser hardware as a factor has limitations. Everything cannot be scaled.

These three are related. Developers keep trying to squeeze the games on last-get consoles, instead of moving on and focusing on making a game optimized for PS5 and Series X. With that said, the obsession for 4K/60 is ridiculous. 4K shouldn't even exist yet, we should be at 2K at most, and not every game has to be 60 fps.

Lorianus

Neo Member
I didn’t say it was introduced this gen, only that it’s allowing for more and more better performance . Games would look a lot different right now with DLSS 2.0 and 3.0 implementations.

I know many just want 4k native 60fps with Ray tracing and the works but it doesn’t seem feasible without DLSS.

This gen has allowed more devs to let different machines get better performance because of it. It’s become a standard for that or FSR to be launched with it.

I think its the opposite honestly, DLSS/FSR being a thing in todays games made it easy for developers to just dont care about performance anymore.
Some of the more recent games play like absolut garbage when played in native resolution without an upscaler, even on good hardware.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

Diminishing returns started like 16 years ago
PS2 and Xbox games looked like they came from the 25th century through a wormhole compared to PS1.

PS3 and 360 games looked miles better than PS2 and OG Xbox.

Generally speaking, PS5 and XSX games look marginally better than PS4 and Xbone games. Marginally better and that's it.

Diminishing returns isn't something that just suddenly kicks in one day. It starts at the beginning, and it gradually becomes more and more noticeable over time.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Yea i can't this thread seriously complains about graphics, and frame rate and excludes Nintendo when they should have released a pro model years ago lmao. oh yea and no matter how old the games are still 60$, and i see companies are starting to follow in Nintendo shoes.
Do you know why Nintendo keeps their game prices high? Because they can get it.

You don't think COD, Madden, or any of the other Cookie cutter games would keep their prices high if they could? They can't because the demand drops off.
If you are implying that other companies beside Nintendo drop their prices for good will and charity, you are delusional.

I Got this bridge up in NY I would love to sell you.

These three are related. Developers keep trying to squeeze the games on last-get consoles, instead of moving on and focusing on making a game optimized for PS5 and Series X. With that said, the obsession for 4K/60 is ridiculous. 4K shouldn't even exist yet, we should be at 2K at most, and not every game has to be 60 fps.

Sony and Microsoft have screwed over console gamers when it comes to next gem games. By becoming multiplatform with PC, we no longer get games designed solely around the console api and i/o system, which Sony spent so much time demonstrating for us how it would allow Unreal Engine 5 to excell on the console.

Now, when Insomniac and Naughty Dog make games, it's being designed to run well on a MYRIAD OF PC's too, none of which have the same architecture as PS5 (with its specialized i/o). This is just a cold hard fact now.

Consoles used to have that "secret sauce" which was really just that devs had ONE architecture to worry about. You combine this with the fact that Ps5 and Series X are not powerful aside from the i/o and you have a recipe for what we've got this gen. Without Sony and Microsoft redesigning their engines use the SSD in the way UE5's Matrix demo does, we're not going to be wowed. Look at Spiderman 2, LoU Part 1 which are from 2 premiere studio built for PS5. Why aren't these games easily looking way better than their previous entries in the series? Lack of new engines and being made to run well on a myriad of devices. Console gamers should feel like we've gotten the short end of that stick a bit while PC gamers should be filled with glee.

IAmRei

Nintendo still great, they might did something not good for some, but mostly they did good, and there are lot of peoples who agree with that.
I dont close my eyes from faulty product such as last pokemon. but we also cannot close our eyes, there are other games which still can be considered as quality

I think there is still great games in Nintendo as well, such as xenoblades, ToTK, Pikmin, splatoons. and by the looks of them, the devs are enjoyed working on that.
smaller studios also produce great games these days. Recently I'm playing Labyrinth of Galleria, not for all players tho, but still rock.

If you mean that sometimes industry is not good enough
maybe you should looking maybe bit far enough, there are still great games out there that needs to be found.

Solidus_T

The biggest issue that I have with this gen is the creep in the price of consoles and hardware in general vs the power you get. Remember when a high end gpu only cost around 200 dollars?

In addition to this, but more minor, we have big budget games releasing to disappointment at best, and total messes at worse with the average being an unfinished big budget mess, while smaller studios are able to pump out games with more ambition in scope and execute them very well, only to be underappreciated in the end. Other posters here have examples of the latter, HiFi Rush and Returnal (SUPER underappreciated banger game BTW). It's only rare occasions like with Larian and Baldur's Gate 3 that they really get major recognition. I usually ignore most of the big AAA releases for a while until they are patched proper like that Jedi Survivor game - it should have been pushed back to last week.

This being said, Nintendo is here to keep the pace running and they give no fucks. They can sell another version of Mario Kart 8 to keep funding their passion projects.

The biggest issue that I have with this gen is the creep in the price of consoles and hardware in general vs the power you get. Remember when a high end gpu only cost around 200 dollars?

In addition to this, but more minor, we have big budget games releasing to disappointment at best, and total messes at worse with the average being an unfinished big budget mess, while smaller studios are able to pump out games with more ambition in scope and execute them very well, only to be underappreciated in the end. Other posters here have examples of the latter, HiFi Rush and Returnal (SUPER underappreciated banger game BTW). It's only rare occasions like with Larian and Baldur's Gate 3 that they really get major recognition. I usually ignore most of the big AAA releases for a while until they are patched proper like that Jedi Survivor game - it should have been pushed back to last week.

This being said, Nintendo is here to keep the pace running and they give no fucks. They can sell another version of Mario Kart 8 to keep funding their passion projects.

The Xbox 360 costed $526 to make in 2005
While PS5 only costed $450 in 2020

Not an issue at all, besides in 1990s, PCs were so expensive

MayauMiao

I don't care much about this generation consoles and can pretty much skip it seeing the lackluster game originality, how it all feels the same, and pretty much broken from Day 1 release. It seems everything this generation everyone is talking about are frame rates, ray tracing, and 4k resolution. Tired of all that and I found myself going back to old consoles, like buying used PS2, restoring OG Xbox, saving up to upgrade PCs just to enjoy older games where gaming are plenty.

The only console I'm looking forward to is the Switch 2.

Top Bottom