• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding Ant-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
No better crow-eating feast than when Avatar arrived.

I don't think Pheonix Dark will ever live that down. That avatar he had to wear for a year was golden.

I lost the battle but won the war. Today no one remembers Avatar. It might as well have made less than $250 million.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ah, you're talking about Pym.

EDIT: You're talking about two different people in the same statement. Pym does not have his own series. Hasn't had one in a while.

pretty much. so its no biggie for him to go missing for a while.

Agreed, It's kind of pathetic honestly. I still remember a dude who tried really hard to get others to "eat crow" when Myself and others said Splatoon wouldn't do too well. He ultimately didn't get to post the thread because while it did make a million sales it's by no means a console seller or a defining title. But he kept bringing up this list he had made of comments until people started shutting him down.

Never really understood the desire to shame others.

Ant-Man was a really dangerous move for marvel and I think it's done as good as they could have hoped to be honest. It's not the biggest movie but it's very well put together and while some characters are underdeveloped it was a joy to watch had some legitimate funny moments and was a really refreshing movie.

They don't have an easy road ahead.

• Captain America Civil War could upset lots of people
    especially if Cap dies so bucky can take the role
  • Doctor Strange is going to be a real departure, magic and supernatural elements might be a bridge to far but the fandom does love bumblebee cobblepot
  • Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is a fairly safe movie, introducing new important characters is the biggest risk but I have no doubts
  • Spiderman is a ticket seller but the actors age is cause for a slight pause
  • Thor Ragnarok isn't going to shatter records the movies are always rated fairly average
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 1, I have doubts many of the current avengers will even star in this, a weaker roster could put people off
  • Black Panther Between his character being lesser known and the difficulty of setting a movie in a location like Wakanda this doesn't have a lot of draw for some
  • Captain Marvel, Female lead could put (dumb) people off
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 2, Safe movie, Thanos is beat
  • Inhumans Will people still care? This is 2019, I'll be teleporting to work and busy playing Final Fantasy 52 on my XStation Revolution.
The only thing I'd change on here is Thor. They gave it to the guys behind Winter Soldier. They turned Cap around after a mediocre first showing.
I liked Cap 1, though...

BumRush

Antman is at 64 in Metacritic, Most would agree that Ant-Man is most unremarkable Marvel movie to come out and theirs a chance that Pixels the most hated movie on Gaf to have a chance against a big Marvel Movie ? OP maybe just wait, right ?

I REALLY doubt most would agree to that

Dead

well not really...yet
"solid" opening weekend

middling, mediocre to ok reviews

Geez. The bar for Crow eating sure has gone down

MDSLKTR

What a waste of a thread, now when BvS comes out that's where the real fun will be at ;)

ngaf3iponq.png

After Guardians, I'm not going to doubt Marvel's ability to make a great and popular movie out of an obscure franchise. Seeing Ant-Man tomorrow.

Pop

Different kind of crow eating for me.

I thought some really good writing would hold up the zany ideas up to a pedestal but i was wrong. This is by far Marvel Studios worst

You gotta be delusional to think this. No Marvel movie is worse than Thor and IM3.

Ant-Man is easily in the top half of the better films.

zeemumu

Antman is at 64 in Metacritic, Most would agree that Ant-Man is most unremarkable Marvel movie to come out and theirs a chance that Pixels the most hated movie on Gaf to have a chance against a big Marvel Movie ? OP maybe just wait, right ?

Those people clearly don't remember pre-Iron Man Marvel. I feel like that title goes to Thor 2 or Iron Man 2.

hahaha, what is even funnier is that they are both banned
KuGsj.gif

KuGsj.gif

Also, I had no idea BvS is a two part movie...

It's not. BvS is one movie. It will then lead into Justice League. There was some grumblings that BvS and JL could be shot back to back, or at least parts of JL could be shot simultaneously, but I haven't heard much of that in a while.

Nibel

Humiliate yourself when you fight for a multi billion dollar corporation on the internet brehs.

gsTTAos.gif

Preach; no idea why OP thought this was a good idea.
KuGsj.gif

Like I never was under the impression that Ant-Man had to fight against tons of criticisms or anything. It just exists.

I know we're only supposed to talk in hyperbole so excuse this -

Ant Man is a pretty decent comedy, but a mediocre movie overall. I enjoyed (don't want to spoil) the most obvious comic relief character, he was great. And Rudd delivered so many of his lines like the baller comedic actor he is. So glad they got him for the most comedy focused Marvel movie I have come across.
My issues are with the dramatic elements. Everything was wildly melodramatic (especially the ridiculous bouts of audience informing exposition) and Evangeline Lilly's acting was the worst I have seen from her. No clue why they felt the need to leave the camera close up on her face so long SO many times while she made horrible choices. And the deus ex-machina-nonsense solution to beating the big bad guy (who had 0 development) was atrocious.

Again, the movie made me laugh, but it was at times a real cringer. Just needed a bit of polish and it could have been great.
Just my opinion of course. I'm glad the movie appears to be doing well critically and commercially. The more comic-hero love the better.

THIS WAS NEVER JUST A HEIST

marrec

Banned
No one remembers Avatar? The most successful movie of all time? LMAO

That's the one with the ship sinking and Leo Dicaprio right?

Wait sorry no, it's the one with the guy stranded with the indians and he has to make friends with them to fight against his former allies.

linsivvi

These threads are so dumb.

"ant man sounds like the most rediculous name/superhero ever."
"I can't believe this is actually being turned into a movie."
"Who the fuck is Ant Man?"
"Looks incredibly generic and soulless."

And I could go on. Where is the crow? Does the OP even know what crow means?

It's like, somebody never heard of Ant Man....movie opened to a decent but nothing to write home about $58M. Crow!

Hagi

Movie was awesome but there's really no need for this kinda petty shit. Least you got a funny tag though.

Toxi

Banned
Man, I wonder when I'll do something stupid enough to get a ridiculous tag.

Hopefully not any time in the near future.

jackal27

Banned
I'll gladly eat my crow.

Thought the movie looked like hot garbage and was expecting a disaster, but I throughly enjoyed it and I'd even go as far as to say that it's better than Avengers 2 and definitely one of my favorite Marvel movies.

This movie isn't exactly setting the world on fire critically or commercially. People who were adamant it would be awful and flop terribly look foolish, but this has to be one of the weakest examples of crow serving I've ever seen.

Save the crow for big ticket items like Avatar and Jurassic World. Even Guardians qualified because it was a smashing success. This? This is just... sort of sad, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom