• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding Ant-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLH0

Banned
WTF why am I in the OP? I didn't even follow this movie! I merely just thought the concept was bizarre, I never said it was going to flop and I didn't really care.

I wanted to watch it this weekend but no one wanted to go with me cause they thought it looked dumb.

Enjoy your crow BIIIITTTCCCCHHHH

iMax

Doctor Strange is going to burn the box office down. Black Panther will bomb. I'm calling it right now.

giphy.gif

Agreed, It's kind of pathetic honestly. I still remember a dude who tried really hard to get others to "eat crow" when Myself and others said Splatoon wouldn't do too well. He ultimately didn't get to post the thread because while it did make a million sales it's by no means a console seller or a defining title. But he kept bringing up this list he had made of comments until people started shutting him down.

Never really understood the desire to shame others.

Ant-Man was a really dangerous move for marvel and I think it's done as good as they could have hoped to be honest. It's not the biggest movie but it's very well put together and while some characters are underdeveloped it was a joy to watch had some legitimate funny moments and was a really refreshing movie.

They don't have an easy road ahead.

• Captain America Civil War could upset lots of people
    especially if Cap dies so bucky can take the role
  • Doctor Strange is going to be a real departure, magic and supernatural elements might be a bridge to far but the fandom does love bumblebee cobblepot
  • Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is a fairly safe movie, introducing new important characters is the biggest risk but I have no doubts
  • Spiderman is a ticket seller but the actors age is cause for a slight pause
  • Thor Ragnarok isn't going to shatter records the movies are always rated fairly average
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 1, I have doubts many of the current avengers will even star in this, a weaker roster could put people off
  • Black Panther Between his character being lesser known and the difficulty of setting a movie in a location like Wakanda this doesn't have a lot of draw for some
  • Captain Marvel, Female lead could put (dumb) people off
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 2, Safe movie, Thanos is beat
  • Inhumans Will people still care? This is 2019, I'll be teleporting to work and busy playing Final Fantasy 52 on my XStation Revolution.

Would be WB's luck for the bubble to burst just as their shared universe is getting going. lol.

StoopKid

Got to love people who attack others on Gaf for spending too much time on Gaf.

So the OP spent some time one here to make this thread? How much time do you guys spend here? And if you think the thread is dumb, why are you in the thread?

As far as the topic goes, if people are going to post things it is fair for them to be brought up later. Welcome to the internet. Deal with it or don't post.

Slayven

Agreed, It's kind of pathetic honestly. I still remember a dude who tried really hard to get others to "eat crow" when Myself and others said Splatoon wouldn't do too well. He ultimately didn't get to post the thread because while it did make a million sales it's by no means a console seller or a defining title. But he kept bringing up this list he had made of comments until people started shutting him down.

Never really understood the desire to shame others.

Ant-Man was a really dangerous move for marvel and I think it's done as good as they could have hoped to be honest. It's not the biggest movie but it's very well put together and while some characters are underdeveloped it was a joy to watch had some legitimate funny moments and was a really refreshing movie.

They don't have an easy road ahead.

• Captain America Civil War could upset lots of people
    especially if Cap dies so bucky can take the role
  • Doctor Strange is going to be a real departure, magic and supernatural elements might be a bridge to far but the fandom does love bumblebee cobblepot
  • Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is a fairly safe movie, introducing new important characters is the biggest risk but I have no doubts
  • Spiderman is a ticket seller but the actors age is cause for a slight pause
  • Thor Ragnarok isn't going to shatter records the movies are always rated fairly average
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 1, I have doubts many of the current avengers will even star in this, a weaker roster could put people off
    [*]Black Panther Between his character being lesser known and the difficulty of setting a movie in a location like Wakanda this doesn't have a lot of draw for some
  • Captain Marvel, Female lead could put (dumb) people off
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 2, Safe movie, Thanos is beat
  • Inhumans Will people still care? This is 2019, I'll be teleporting to work and busy playing Final Fantasy 52 on my XStation Revolution.
Black people not being beholden to western white people will have the salt flowing.

Why are crow threads all of sudden a bad thing or embarrassing ?

It's the equivalent of a police officer neglecting his greater purpose and job to follow one particular case obsessively that he was never even personally assigned to.

How much do you have to care for one film's success or failure (which doesn't effect you personally or financially regardless) that you need to keep tabs on negative thoughts about it just so in the event that it lives up to financial standards (which, it didn't based on Marvel's projections) and your personal standards that you can rub it in the face of someone who didn't believe like you did.

It's childish and pathetic to the umpteenth degree.

Why are crow threads all of sudden a bad thing or embarrassing ?

Can't you say this about any film?

People are being more deffensive towards this particular thread because there is really no crow to eat, since the movie did poor to uneventful numbers. GoG and Avengers 1 crow eating fests were deserved, this one aint.

And dude you are taking this way too personal, chill with the replies.

It has a 79% on RT if we're going to play this game. Also that's how the box office works certain movies have good legs. Doesn't mean it's a failure. Ala inside out it opened up at number 2.

If every critic gave the same movie a C on RT it would have a 100%. RT just tells you what percentage of people thought a film was some version of "good," not taking into account what level of "good" that is. You can use RT, but there's a reason it always has a higher percentage than metacritic.

And I never said Ant-Man was a failure. I just said that if you're going to call people out on "eating crow" for saying a Marvel film is gonna bomb, you should probably use a film that did better than $58 million in its opening weekend. And yeah, Inside Out opened at number 2... with $93 million dollars. The only reason it wasn't #1 was because Jurassic World was still doing killer numbers. Again, Ant-Man had no stiff competition this weekend. They aren't comparable whatsoever.

If you love the film that's fine. I don't care either way. And hopefully it has good legs. But OP would have been better served making this thread after it showed Kingsman-like legs instead of on the Sunday of its opening weekend to numbers that no one really finds that impressive.

StoopKid

If every critic gave the same movie a C on RT it would have a 100%. RT just tells you what percentage of people thought a film was some version of "good," not taking into account what level of "good" that is. You can use RT, but there's a reason it always has a higher percentage than metacritic.

And I never said Ant-Man was a failure. I just said that if you're going to call people out on "eating crow" for saying a Marvel film is gonna bomb, you should probably use a film that did better than $58 million in its opening weekend. And yeah, Inside Out opened at number 2... with $93 million dollars. The only reason it wasn't #1 was because Jurassic World was still doing killer numbers. Again, Ant-Man had no stiff competition this weekend. They aren't comparable whatsoever.
how is minions not stiff competition?
They're competing for some of the same audience.

Gartooth

Ant-Man rocked the box office, Marvel can do no wrong! Line up and eat crow anyone that felt skepticism under their greatness! /s

Truthfully, I did enjoy the movie. I wasn't floored by it or anything, but given the circumstances it did turn out better than expected. No need for a crow thread though given the very low opening.

I expected iron man 2 level struggling with tons of talking and zzzzz sections but I loved it
Really surprised me and someone took a huge L and that lasts forever :p

3N16MA

Banned
It has a 79% on RT if we're going to play this game. Also that's how the box office works certain movies have good legs. Doesn't mean it's a failure. Ala inside out it opened up at number 2.

Inside Out debuted to 90M which is the largest 2nd place debut ever. That only happend because it was faced with JW which just crushed the OW BO record and had the largest 2nd weekend on record.

No one considered that a failure because it was still huge.

how is minions not stiff competition?
They're competing for some of the same audience.

In your analogy, Inside Out opened at $93 million to JW's $103 (or something). Even with genuinely stiff competition, it still carved out nearly $100 million in its opening weekend. If Ant-Man opened last weekend (as I mentioned in my hypothetical), then I could maybe see your point. But in its second weekend, I'm a bit incredulous that Ant-Man's lack of overwhelming success this weekend was due to Minions. There's enough money on the table for both films to have pulled even higher numbers, especially with the only other film being released being an R-rated rom com.

And I feel like we're veering off track/changing goal posts. Again, I don't personally care how Ant-Man does in the long haul. My point is that you can't dish out "crow" when Ant-Man pulled in the numbers that it did this weekend. You can chalk it up to whatever factor that caused it, but ultimately $58 million isn't an overwhelming success.

BadAss2961

Phase 3 will ultimately bankrupt the studio, and Disney will be forced to sell the rights to Warner Bros for spare change and a couple Rope Guy t-shirts. Write this down, OP.

Wasn't this quite a bit cheaper than their usual fair? I'd imagine they're mildly disappointed at worst.

Granted, if Edgar Wright stayed on, I bet they'd have gotten an extra 40 bucks.

I say this as someone who loves Edgar Wright.

(Honestly, I think had Edgar Wright directed it, the reviews would have been better and they'd have pulled in a few more skeptics through that alone)

I honestly don't know what the budget was like. It seemed to have a decent marketing push though. However, the problem isn't whether it made its money back, it's whether they could have made more of a return on their investment. Especially considering their next few films beyond Civil War are even lesser known entities than this movie was and those movies will be competing against DCs cinematic universe attempts.

It was a good film nonetheless though. Had some really Edgar Wright-esque moments.

In your analogy, Inside Out opened at $93 million to JW's $103 (or something). Even with genuinely stiff competition, it still carved out nearly $100 million in its opening weekend. If Ant-Man opened last weekend (as I mentioned in my hypothetical), then I could maybe see your point. But in its second weekend, I'm a bit incredulous that Ant-Man's lack of overwhelming success this weekend was due to Minions. There's enough money on the table for both films to have pulled even higher numbers, especially with the only other film being released being an R-rated rom com.

And I feel like we're veering off track/changing goal posts. Again, I don't personally care how Ant-Man does in the long haul. My point is that you can't dish out "crow" when Ant-Man pulled in the numbers that it did this weekend. You can chalk it up to whatever factor that caused it, but ultimately $58 million isn't an overwhelming success.

I'd give up if I were you. This is going nowhere fast.

Hope Ant-Man has good legs lads, Marvel are amazing! They won't do no wrong! I'm trying hard to not be sarcastic as I do believe such things. Just hard to support things when rabid fanboys tend to ruin it for no particular reasons. Especially something as petty as this.

Best wishes.

iMax

I have a question, inspired a bit from the crow quotes.

What is Marvel's worst superhero that could actually feasibly end up in Phase 4—and consequently get a horrible pre-reaction from everyone like Ant-Man did?

When I saw the title I wasn't sure if it was for people who said Ant-Man would bomb or for people who said Ant-Man would be a box office hit.

The results were slightly disappointing, at best.

I have a question, inspired a bit from the crow quotes.

What is Marvel's worst superhero that could actually feasibly end up in Phase 4—and consequently get a horrible pre-reaction from everyone like Ant-Man did?
Howard the Duck, maybe?

No better crow-eating feast than when Avatar arrived.

I don't think Pheonix Dark will ever live that down. That avatar he had to wear for a year was golden.

wildfire

Banned
I hope a seagull thread is actually made in the future.

As for this thread, whatever. ANt Man did fine and the people saying it would bomb deserve their crow. There were those who were more mad at the director being changed or simply had no clue about the comic who didn't need to be lumped in with the others.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dalek
I spent a year systematically cataloguing everyone who said they weren't looking forward to Marvel's latest cinematic masterpiece. Boy, they look petty and stupid now!
(Today, 04:33 PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom