• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titillation Or Temperance? - Sexual & Modest Character Designs

Having been a member on NeoGAF for an extended period of time has afforded me many valuable observations and some of these are incredibly thought provoking. That PlayStation and Xbox fanatics will never stop crapping on each other, nobody reads longwinded opening posts (including this one) and that everybody is always horny and in the mood for some good old-fashioned T&A, plus some steaks and beers for prosperity's sake. A person has simply look at the "NSFW" threads in the off-topic and gaming discussion forums to know that these will never leave the front page, and that's a undeniable fact. Not that I'm condemning this of course as I too enjoy the occasional debauchery, but it does make one ponder whether or not the grass is sometimes more greener on the side...

Historically the motion picture industry has been most responsible for the sexualisation of female characters, but I think video games studios are also notable participants. There's usually much less restrictions and governing bodies in gaming and this allows for extremely provocative and sensual character designs ranging from physical appearance and bodily proportions, clothing and accessories, not to mention voice lines and personality. It's become the norm to have curvaceous and voluptuous characters when in reality this was once the exception and now modesty is highlighted and often discussed by feminists about whether or not it needs to make a return and should be the prevalent ideology. Regardless of whether you enjoy the sexualisation or are more critical on the matter are both valid arguments. I want to explore both sides of the spectrum and appreciate the aesthetic beauty within each representation and their character designs.

Rules:
  • You can choose either/both sexualisation or modesty.
  • 5 answers per each category, start a new post for more.
  • Male characters welcome, though the focus is on female.
  • Official images only, no manipulated artwork or cosplay.
Mine:

Sexualisation

Ivy Valentine - Soulcalibur
0GHPcVS.jpeg

sc6-ivy-valentine.jpg
Probably the first character I thought of when making this thread. Ivy's chest is a little overblown and her outfit is silly, but she has extremely sexy legs and British accent.
Lara Croft - Tomb Raider
fb61fff049a5daa3a0009b0e4b463747.jpg

tra-lara-croft2.jpg
This thread would be incomplete without Lara Croft. Her impact on sexualizing females in gaming history is unrivalled and is probably the most famous example out there.
Catherine - Catherine
th

cat-venus-mode-cover.jpg
Catherine to me is the most attractive one here and marriage material. Her body is modest, but she oozes sexiness with soft milky skin, pale blue eyes and blonde locks.
Chun-Li - Street Fighter
Chun-Li-Street-Fighters-c.jpg
Chun-Li is a classic of example of "it's what you don't see is what you're interested in" and boy it's a lot of interest. Absolutely sexy legs and thunder thighs to boot (pun int).
Elexis Sinclaire - SiN
elexis.jpg
Elexis is clearly sexualized within the first game and looks like a sex doll, but I don't like her design very much as they tried way too hard to make her look appealing.

Modesty

Elizabeth - BioShock Infinite
83ea9cfca10c3c0dfb57b4b103c6beaf2ee77fa7.jpg
Appropriate I've been playing BioShock Infinite on it's 10th anniversary. Elizabeth is the image of purity and innocence at the start, but grows into a mature woman later.
Jade - Beyond Good And Evil
jade4.jpg
I've only played a little of this game and Jade is a standout modestly designed character. Fitting as she's a journalist, always on the move with appropriate attire and tools.
Ayame - Tenchu
1917b80b8f2b3a7c8b6f42111341c3a4.jpg
One of the most surprising in terms of modesty. Ayame unlike another ninja *cough* Mai is dressed appropriate for espionage/assassination duties and is slender built.
Trip - Enslaved Odyssey To The West
dc8b16139b4b336b23cb11e7925dc245.jpg

ens-trip-render.jpg
All of Ninja Theory's female characters are modestly designed, but this doesn't make them unattractive. Great characterization and design make up for lack of curvature.
Amanda Ripley - Alien Isolation
file_739233_alien-isolation-hero-shot.jpg
Appropriately dressed and likeable in personality. Amanda like her mother is the strong well-written character that shows sexiness through action instead of bust.

Last edited:

Comandr

I really appreciate when media- particularly games- attempt to show some restraint when it comes to female designs. Amanda Ripley is a great example. Our first shot of her is of her working. I think she's welding IIRC. We see that while strong and capable, she's also scared and vulnerable. She's a complete person with her own motivations.

Reminds me of some old concept art for Cindy from FFXV.

33ae6d6e982f43217eaee5b2ede3af89.jpg

I love this design. Its toned down and still very sexy, without her defining characteristic being her cleavage.

To me, that is far sexier than the caricatures of the female form that Elder Legend Elder Legend submitted to lower the bar of discussion. There could not be more disappointing of a first post.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I really appreciate when media- particularly games- attempt to show some restraint when it comes to female designs. Amanda Ripley is a great example. Our first shot of her is of her working. I think she's welding IIRC. We see that while strong and capable, she's also scared and vulnerable. She's a complete person with her own motivations.

I love this design. Its toned down and still very sexy, without her defining characteristic being her cleavage.

To me, that is far sexier than the caricatures of the female form that Elder Legend Elder Legend submitted to lower the bar of discussion. There could not be more disappointing of a first post.

This isn't ResetEra. You don't have to act like a soy boy here for points.

OT: People like looking at sexy things. What is sexy depends on the person. Some like big boobs, some like small. Some like no boobs and some like man boobs. Nobody wants to look at ugly, horrific, disgusting creatures unless the point of the game is to show how ugly, horrific, disgusting they are.

Hoe much soy did you eat today? Yes. :p

Last edited:

Fredrik

Tease and femininity is the way to go. Hint at what’s there but never fully show anything. And don’t be afraid of curves.

And don’t dress a woman without curves and toned down femininity like a man. At that point you can just create a male character instead, there needs to be something there to hint that it’s a woman, hair, makeup, clothes or the only difference is a head swap and different voice recording.

Last edited:

Comandr

OT: People like looking at sexy things. What is sexy depends on the person. Some like big boobs, some like small. Some like no boobs and some like man boobs. Nobody wants to look at ugly, horrific, disgusting creatures unless the point of the game is to show how ugly, horrific, disgusting they are.
I’m not looking for points or internet fame or whatever. Who gives a shit. But if you think or could even imply that any of the aforementioned examples are anything even close to “ugly, horrific, disgusting,” you are the problem.

We have a developer in this mother and it's somebody who worked on a game I mentioned. I bet that smile was wide as the Grinch as soon as you saw Amanda in the opening post. One thing I like about Ripley's design is her facial features, she doesn't have that small nose female characters often have which makes you wonder how they breathe out of that thing.
I've never thought about it that way. I don't find video game characters titillating no matter how sexualized they are.
Really? There are multiple characters with enormous and exaggerated bodily features and they don't affect you one way or another? You must be asexual or something man.

That's all well a good, but I haven't seen any examples on your part within this thread. Share some of those that you enjoy or go full Anita Sarkeesian to highlight the vast differences between the two and all they entail.
Tease and femininity is the way to go. Hint at what’s there but never fully show anything. And don’t be afraid of curves.

And don’t dress a woman without curves and toned down femininity like a man. At that point you can just create a male character instead, there needs to be something there to hint that it’s a woman, hair, makeup, clothes or the only difference is a head swap and different voice recording.
That's exactly the same thing I said with Chun-Li "it's what you don't see is what you're interested in" because she's covered from head to toe and yet her figure is striking and attractive.
I personally want both....

pqVooP6.png
oAQMXvA.png
So choose both options and display the ones which you find attractive or unattractive if you'd like.
Another vote for Trip, I knew a character from Ninja Theory would make an appearance and I was right.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Really? There are multiple characters with enormous and exaggerated bodily features and they don't affect you one way or another? You must be asexual or something man.
I'm not asexual. I just don't see what are essentially cartoon characters, that I could never have any actual real life interactions with, as sexually desirable. If other people use their penis as their joystick then more power to them.

I don't discriminate. Give me all of them.
giphy.gif

I'm not asexual. I just don't see what are essentially cartoon characters, that I could never have any actual real life interactions with, as sexually desirable. If other people use their penis as their joystick then more power to them.
The fact that they're fictitious doesn't mean they can't evoke an emotional response dude, that's the cornerstone of every romance of all time. Besides, a lot of these characters are starting to become modelled on real people, so don't knock it till you've tried it.
Amanda Ripley is goat , good choice
There's a developer in this thread Comandr Comandr so show him some love too for designing her.

Last edited:

Fredrik

That's exactly the same thing I said with Chun-Li "it's what you don't see is what you're interested in" because she's covered from head to toe and yet her figure is striking and attractive.
Yup I agree on that. Capcom knows what they’re doing, probably one of the most skilled devs when it comes to designs tbh.

As a sidenote on that, what made RE8 Lady D a thing wasn’t actually the giant dominatrix thing. It was the curves combined with the dress, plus the size. She would’ve been a complete meh character with no curves at all in the usual western dev pants and leather jacket style even at 10 feet. But would’ve been appealing even as a small 5 feet girl with the curves and dress even when completely ignoring the dominatrix angle. A dress flowing over womanly curves always look appealing.

Yup I agree on that. Capcom knows what they’re doing, probably one of the most skilled devs when it comes to designs tbh.

As a sidenote on that, what made RE8 Lady D a thing wasn’t actually the giant dominatrix thing. It was the curves combined with the dress, plus the size. She would’ve been a complete meh character with no curves at all in the usual western dev pants and leather jacket style even at 10 feet. But would’ve been appealing even as a small 5 feet girl with the curves and dress even when completely ignoring the dominatrix angle. A dress flowing over womanly curves always look appealing.
The voice is also an important part and they did good work with that too.

StueyDuck

I've never thought about it that way. I don't find video game characters titillating no matter how sexualized they are.
100%. Like sure when you are a kid things are confusing and so on.

But being a grown adult getting all hot and bothered over something that's not real is kind of creepy.

Then again I am someone who thinks sex and nudity in movies and film is fucking stupid as well 🤷‍♂️.

Like if you wanna see tits it couldn't be more free than ever currently hahaha even better go and meet a real woman.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

It's interesting how modern cultural critics embrace sexual freedom, sleeping around, "polyamory", "sex positivity" , support "sex workers" etc..

... And at the same time demand sexualization be kept out of video games aimed at adults.

It's like they want to be both puritans and whores.

100%. Like sure when you are a kid things are confusing and so on.

But being a grown adult getting all hot and bothered over something that's not real is kind of creepy.

Then again I am something who thinks sex and nudity in movies and film is fucking stupid as well 🤷‍♂️.

Like if you wanna see tits it couldn't be more free than ever currently hahaha even better go and meet a real woman.
It's not about being all hot and bothered dude, it's simply acknowledging and appreciating it somewhat. Unless of course you live in Japan where people have been known to marry anime characters. Besides, variety is the spice of life, so people in relationships can have a certain leeway without actually cheating, that's why sex often sells.
It's interesting how modern cultural critics embrace sexual freedom, sleeping around, "polyamory", "sex positivity" , support "sex workers" etc..

... And at the same time demand sexualization be kept out of video games aimed at adults.

It's like they want to be both puritans and whores.
It's a neverending circle that's gone on for ages. People cannot help themselves complaining about something they often have little vested interested within or simply for the fact that they can. Besides, if you don't complain you're often seen a pervert.
giphy.gif

That's only a couple of them man. I'm somewhat disappointed you only showed three lol, but the first one is blue is very nice (blue is my favourite colour).

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I’m not looking for points or internet fame or whatever. Who gives a shit. But if you think or could even imply that any of the aforementioned examples are anything even close to “ugly, horrific, disgusting,” you are the problem.

Never suggested that. But please, do continue to talk out your ass and make assumptions. You do realize this isn't ResetEra, right?

I was expecting a lot of people from the NSFW threads to come pouring into this thread and booty overloading it lol. The butt thread has been going on for 3 years straight.

Humdinger

I have the same taste with videogame character art as I do with women in real life. I like women to be modestly dressed. That is attractive to me. I don't mean all buttoned up, just not hanging out everywhere. If a woman is showing all sorts of t & a, that is a turn off to me. It comes across as slutty. I don't find that attractive. As in life, so in videogames.

It's not just modest dress, though. She has to look feminine and have an attractive female form. For instance, I don't find Jade from BG&E or the military chick in your OP attractive. I do like Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, though. I'm also thinking of Aloy from Horizon ZD (the first game) and Liara T'Soni from Mass Effect.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There are also set of character designs that are not"sexy" or "elegant" but instead they are wholesome and charming which I also enjoy.

Ochette from Octopath 2 and Kat from Gravity Rush.
1ZoAph3.png
KgQy13F.png

Allow this thread to rest people as my other tiddy one serves the same purpose. I created this one as an attempt to create discussion regarding these character designs, but it simply devolved into a tiddy display.

4sNsT1S.gif
d8g5nCL.gif
bu9pJSF.gif

Still the best look they went with

Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria
James Franco Flirt GIF
Nicolas Cage Wink GIF
community abed GIF

Female character designs already had plenty of diversity before the whole facade of "diversity and inclusivity".

They can bitch and moan all they want, but this trite is not genuine. It's just a bunch of spaghetti marxist bullshit to force the industry, whether it's the West or the East, into falling inline with an insidiously hateful and divisive ideology.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Female character designs already had plenty of diversity before the whole facade of "diversity and inclusivity".

They can bitch and moan all they want, but this trite is not genuine. It's just a bunch of spaghetti marxist bullshit to force the industry, whether it's the West or the East, into falling inline with an insidiously hateful and divisive ideology.

Welcome to 2017. We all know they are shitty scumbags.

Top Bottom