• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Claw or not to Claw?

To claw or not to claw

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 93.8%

• Total voters

22:22:22

Banned
Hi. And welcome.

I'm moderately curious which one of you use the claw grip when playing games with a free camera adjustable with the right thumbstick.

For those unaware, this is the infamous claw grip:

(For some reason the add image button isn't working so I'll post a YouTube vid instead, sorry.)

I do claw because i like to look around while walking/running. Elden Ring and now Zelda are recent examples.

Even with cameras that follows you and tries to keep your line of sight straight or w/e I prefer to just claw...

So GAF; Come in and tell us your preferred manner.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

Bartski

Gold Member
I do and I hate it. But I got used to it as I can't imagine playing soulslikes without simultainous control over movement, camera and run/dodge.
Happy now in the process of unlearning it thanks to elite pro 2 and dual sense edge back buttons.

Banned
No claw, i prefer to pay a pro controller for paddles instead of destroying my fingering joints

I can see that. I personally have no sense of pain or strain whatsoever. I do remember not liking it when i started using THE CLAW lol. But that was 2 decades ago so yeah

Last edited:

Banned
Looks ridiculous. Especially the uncomfortable and poor positioning of the pointer finger.

Nothing personal but what does the aesthetic aspect matter? It's the second time it's mentioned.

Just curious as to why that would hold you back from using it sans your latter reason ofcourse.

Which objectively depends on ones hand/finger size/flexibility.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nothing personal but what does the aesthetic aspect matter? It's the second time it's mentioned.

Just curious as to why that would hold you back from using it sans your latter reason ofcourse.

Which objectively depends on ones hand/finger size/flexibility.

I wasn’t referring to aesthetics at all.

Looks very uncomfortable with a contorted index finger that’s somehow supposed to work the face buttons.

Nah, my thumb gets the job done just fine. If I really need to move a camera while pulling off moves, I could always use my mouse/keyboard.

PSYGN

Some of the best FPS controller players use claw even though back paddles exist. I think you can have better/more accurate range of motion in claw when you get used to that, but paddles/back buttons are more easier to transition to.

Last edited:

Banned
I wasn’t referring to aesthetics at all.

Looks very uncomfortable with a contorted index finger that’s somehow supposed to work the face buttons.

Nah, my thumb gets the job done just fine. If I really need to move a camera while pulling off moves, I could always use my mouse/keyboard.

Well you said it looks ridiculous. Maybe aesthetics was the wrong word in the context. English isn't my native language.

So let me rephrase; who cares how it looks if it has a practical use.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well you said it looks ridiculous. Maybe aesthetics was the wrong word in the context. English isn't my native language.

So let me rephrase; who cares how it looks if it has a practical use.

It doesn’t look practical at all. If you like contorting your fingers in such a mess just to work a camera go for it.

If anything this shows that these users would save their hands by buying a better controller with back buttons.

Banned
It doesn’t look practical at all. If you like contorting your fingers in such a mess just to work a camera go for it.

If anything this shows that these users would save their hands by buying a better controller with back buttons.

Your first paragraph seems like their just your assumptions.

I've played BotW and Elden Ring both over 200+ hours. No discomfort whatsoever. So it shows nothing for me personally.

With that said, I most definitely agree back buttons are the way to go if you have any discomfort.

Soodanim

I temporarily transition to claw if I ever need to, e.g. Dark Souls camera, but for the most part I don't. It's nowhere near a permanent thing, just for face and right stick because there's no reasonably priced viable PS controller with touchpad and back buttons.

As I use a DS4 on PC, I often to my best to make use of the touchpad to minimise awkward inputs. Sometimes that's a toggle turbo, sometimes it's a timed sequence input, sometimes it's a swipe. None of that really helps with needing to claw in Souls, but when you're using claw and want to pick up drops a turbo certainly helps keep it to the bare essentials.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I did this back on PS1 with Tekken 3. You could just map 1+2, 3+4, 1+3, and 2+4 to the shoulder buttons. Doing something like King’s throws where tapping X + R1 or something was weird. It was just easier to spider grip or claw grip the controller. It still is if you played in the arcade. I only do it when the situation warrants it. With SF6 and even GG, I would prefer something like the DS4 controller. I want a stick. Now a days fighting games use more than 6 buttons or they have a combination of buttons that they hotkey.

If I’m in a boss fight or something where I’m managing one set of buttons and my movements. I’ll use a finger digit to move the camera or shuffle my inventory.

Last edited:
Hi. And welcome.

I'm moderately curious which one of you use the claw grip when playing games with a free camera adjustable with the right thumbstick.

For those unaware, this is the infamous claw grip:

(For some reason the add image button isn't working so I'll post a YouTube vid instead, sorry.)

I do claw because i like to look around while walking/running. Elden Ring and now Zelda are recent examples.

Even with cameras that follows you and tries to keep your line of sight straight or w/e I prefer to just claw...

So GAF; Come in and tell us your preferred manner.

Dude, no. Just buy a pro controller. You can seriously mess up your hand by doing this:

Banned
I temporarily transition to claw if I ever need to, e.g. Dark Souls camera, but for the most part I don't. It's nowhere near a permanent thing, just for face and right stick because there's no reasonably priced viable PS controller with touchpad and back buttons.

As I use a DS4 on PC, I often to my best to make use of the touchpad to minimise awkward inputs. Sometimes that's a toggle turbo, sometimes it's a timed sequence input, sometimes it's a swipe. None of that really helps with needing to claw in Souls, but when you're using claw and want to pick up drops a turbo certainly helps keep it to the bare essentials.

Yeah same here, i use it more or less only for when I need to run and look around at the same time.

Think a lot of posters here think I claw grip from start to end or something..

I'll stick with a mouse.

Go Away GIF

🤭

Soodanim

Yeah same here, i use it more or less only for when I need to run and look around at the same time.

Think a lot of posters here think I claw grip from start to end or something..

Go Away GIF

🤭
It's not something I ever tried to do, either. I always want camera control so I was doing it before I knew it had a name, and I had the "Oh, I suppose I do that" moment because I never consciously did it.

My Souls claw is more just an index finger on ⭕️ while I do camera control and maybe a middle finger for R1 just in case, do you adopt a full claw?

Banned
It's not something I ever tried to do, either. I always want camera control so I was doing it before I knew it had a name, and I had the "Oh, I suppose I do that" moment because I never consciously did it.

My Souls claw is more just an index finger on ⭕️ while I do camera control and maybe a middle finger for R1 just in case, do you adopt a full claw?

Just index finger when it's needed. Running uphill and be able to scout etc

Top Bottom