• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My review for now is 1/10.
I don't think there's a way to use headphones with this game since the gamepad doesn't let you listen to the game audio. There's also no way to play to play off tv.
Considereing it's a game about music, this is a pretty baffling design choice ( expect if I am wrong and there is a way but I didn't find it yet).
Since I don't have a Tv with sound, this game became kinda unplayable for me.

Sounds like your shitty setup is a 1/10. Not the game =P

Solid reviews. I look forward to playing it when my copy arrives. It might not be the crossover I was hoping for and originally expected, but it still is an Atlus developed console JRPG and that's enough to get me excited.

Is this the first game that is about show business the way that like, most musicals about show business are?

I know that some of the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games had "story modes" but those were usually nothing more than excuse for a few bits of lovingly rendered animation between sets.

I don't want to call it the first musical game but... maybe the first musical RPG? Or rather, the first RPG that is like a traditional musical, maybe?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is there any reason why it doesn't support widely advertised function of Wii U? Sounds to me like it's 100% the game's problem.

it is not a problem. it could be seen as a issue (I love offtv), but it's not a mandatory function, so you can't really blame the game for having a tv with no sound/speaker...

when review uses the word "cringe-worthy" i think that the best you could do is ignore it, lol

with "it" you mean the game or the article? lol :p

aBarreras

it is not a problem. it could be seen as a issue (I love offtv), but it's not a mandatory function, so you can't really blame the game for having a tv with no sound/speaker...

with "it" you mean the game or the article? lol :p

the article obviously ahha

StereoVsn

The score wasn't really serious. I am just annoyed since I play all of my games with headphones on and a game not giving you the option is unacceptable
I use a monitor
I am not certain but doesn't WiiU have an option to break out audio?

_h8bit

Banned
My experience with either franchise in this mashup is pretty limited but the game looks so colorful and nice that I pre-ordered on a total whim early this week. I kind of don't know what to expect but it will be nice to dust off the Wii U and jump into another RPG.

nintendonews - 3.5/5

Ultimately, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a fine game with an engaging story, but it’s hard to identify it as a crossover — it’s more like another Shin Megami Tensei spin-off in the same vein as Persona with a number of Fire Emblem elements shoehorned in. That’s certainly not a bad thing, and I’m sure TMS #FE will fill a gap until Persona 5 launches next year, but don’t come here off the back of Fire Emblem: Awakening or Fates expecting more of that.

My Limited Edition copy from Best Buy just shipped! :D

Despite my intense hatred for idols, I can't wait to play this

So glad it's the summer so I can play this alone at home for the majority of the day and no one has to hear all the weeb music.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
when review uses the word "cringe-worthy" i think that the best you could do is ignore it, lol
Oh Jesus dude, please don't start with the "here's why the negative reviews don't really count!" stuff.

It's okay to disagree with someone else's opinion.

Litri

Good reviews, as I said in another thread I may jump on this on Friday (no special edition of course) and give it a try. There's simply no game like it on the Wii U now.

Is this the first game that is about show business the way that like, most musicals about show business are?

I know that some of the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games had "story modes" but those were usually nothing more than excuse for a few bits of lovingly rendered animation between sets.

I don't want to call it the first musical game but... maybe the first musical RPG? Or rather, the first RPG that is like a traditional musical, maybe?

Nah, there's this.

Rhapsody_Box_Art.jpg

UberTag

Seems actualy a pretty decent game from the review, better than I expected.
Localization concerns notwithstanding there's a solid game beneath the surface here.
I've been expecting the reviews to come out ahead of Star Ocean 5 for a while now.

Galang

Banned
Ya, some people don't know how to have a little fun with a silly spin-off title. Music can't be as bad as Persona 3 anyway.

Persona 3 has one of the best gaming OSTs of all-time. Don't even. The game's redundant structure is irrelevant to the actual musical content. Hearing Mass Destruction a million times doesn't mean it's bad even if you're sick of it

Actually cool to see some good reviews for this because I was kind of iffy after they showed what "SMT/FE" became.

I got reminded of that one thread about the "summer drought" but I notice spring and summer tend to be the times of the year I try to dive into one or two hefty RPGs, which currently include XCX and Dark Souls 3, but might try to make room for this if I can.

Cleve

Glad to see this is reviewing well. I can't wait for Friday!

Look good! I'm pleasantly surprised there aren't more publications jumping on the hate bandwagon. Can't wait for Friday!

What hate bandwagon? The only shade I see getting thrown at the game are the people upset over the localization changes, and stuff like that rarely makes an impact at the critic level.

bigkrev

If this had come out Tuesday I'd probably have bought it, but because ZTD is out next Tuesday and I won't be able to play this weekend, looks like I'm waiting for a sale on this

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Seem better received than I would expect

especially if you look how the "critics" seems to explicity be related to the lack of "pure FE elements".
And I can understand that, I simply found the game able to be...an engaging JRPG. Glorious looking too (in terms of style)

Skulldead

Does the game feature difficulty setting, i saw a review that said the game was enough challenging but more like, kill the enemies in one turn or he will kill me the next turn. This is really that polarize ?

Kid Ying

I agree about the music in this game. It's really mundane and not that good at all, which is crazy since the characters songs are so good.

I just got to read a couple of the reviews. I completely disagree with my Nintendo News review about lack of challeng. Maybe at the beginning, but the game gets pretty challenging with time. Also, the part about lack of sex appeal. Not that it's not lacking, but why that matters at all?

What hate bandwagon? The only shade I see getting thrown at the game are the people upset over the localization changes, and stuff like that rarely makes an impact at the critic level.

Did you miss everyone complaining about the idol aspect of the game and saying they were mislead by the original trailer? The localization changes and time have drowned out those complaints some, but they still exist.

Cleve

My review for now is 1/10.
I don't think there's a way to use headphones with this game since the gamepad doesn't let you listen to the game audio. There's also no way to play to play off tv.
Considereing it's a game about music, this is a pretty baffling design choice ( expect if I am wrong and there is a way but I didn't find it yet).
Since I don't have a Tv with sound, this game became kinda unplayable for me.

Your monitor has HDMI in but no headphone jack on it?

Still surprising that it doesn't allow audio through the gamepad, but you can solve your issue with fairly cheap adapters.

Did you miss everyone complaining about the idol aspect of the game and saying they were mislead by the original trailer? The localization changes and time have drowned out those complaints some, but they still exist.

On GAF and the SMT subreddit sure, but I didn't see that really get picked up by major critics. I feel like people accepted this wasn't actually SMT x FE a long time ago.

Gu4n

Does the game feature difficulty setting, i saw a review that said the game was enough challenging but more like, kill the enemies in one turn or he will kill me the next turn. This is really that polarize ?
Yep. Since both your party and the opponents have follow-up Session attacks, losing a first turn or have enemies launch a string of Session attacks at you and it's over.

Jeffrey

Yep. Since both your party and the opponents have follow-up Session attacks, losing a first turn or have enemies launch a string of Session attacks at you and it's over.

Oh so its like modern SMT games. Still triggered from randomly getting wrecked in Persona 4 due to unlucky crit chains.

Shun

Oh I was gonna make the review thread cuz the embargo wasn't supposed to end for another 50 minutes and cuz I was sleeping.

Thanks for making it instead iris comeback.

Here are member reviews and impressions for the Japanese copy from the import OT if it will help make your decision on the game.

I will probably do another one to compare the English and Japanese versions of the game later down the line.

Yes there is no Off TV Play in this game.

Member Impressions and Reviews

I am unable to fit every single impression on this page due to how much each of us has written. I will make these links that you can access by clicking on them, if you can try to read all the impressions!

Kanaan
InternHertz
Sakura
Shun
kunkun
ranmafan
Waji
Jiraiza
Dengeki Online Award 2015 Reveiw
Billinguist Video Review

Top Bottom