• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

RPGSite - 9/10
Bringing together a stellar soundtrack, a standard yet charming story, and one of the best turn-based battle systems in recent memory, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is both a highly competent swan song for the Wii U and a fantastic JRPG in general. While long load times and jarring localization decisions hold it back slightly, #FE is still a unique cross-over that Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei fans and newcomers alike won't want to miss.
Game Informer - 8.25/10
Crossover games have a tendency to be silly in order to make two disparate universes collide. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is no exception, combining the worlds of Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem into one heavy dose of Japanese popular culture, ranging from pop stars and actors to fashion and anime. This unique experience merges the two long-running franchises together in interesting ways, since anything goes; you fight by performing songs to damage enemies, wearing elaborate costumes on a vibrant stage. With a colorful cast, fun upgrade system, and challenging battles, Tokyo Mirage Sessions provides an entertaining performance through and through.

Ridley327

Gamespot - 8

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #Fe is gorgeous, fun, and a smart collaboration all around. Backtracking through dungeons and running up against tedious bosses can bring the momentum down, but overall the game is something worth exploring. After a few dozen hours the semi-ludicrous story and systems set in front of you feel so comfortable together that this mashup of developer Atlus' most popular franchise and Intelligent Systems' beloved strategy RPG seems like it was destined to be.

Gamesradar - 4/5

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is basically the JRPG equivalent of a nightclub foam party - an absurd fun premise, great tunes, and surprisingly deep combat. Wait...

KLoWn

I expected it to hover around the 8/10 mark so these scores pleases me
Stoneded.png

Anyone feel like giving me a brief tl;dr on the 6/10 ones? Mainly what they didn't like. I can't read them in full atm.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Had to cancel my special edition temporarily but gonna reorder it since i got money, been waiting a long time for this.

Wow, reviews are great! Honestly surprised, didn't expect this game to fair well critically over here (I'm pretty excited for it either way).

sora87

SO5 will be on bargain bin as fast as light speed, so #FE first is good choice.

Yes.

Thankfully SO5 won't be a major time investmentso there's that.

Do IT! I have this coming in Friday and SO5 next week. It's going to be a good next couple of months for me.

Ok you convinced me everyone, time to dust off the Wii U after I rage quit XBCX :p

Oh that's easy just by the actually good game! :p

Although I hope they're both good!

Shun

I've noticed that no one really mentions the content edits in any of the reviews I've read so far. Was there any directive not to talk about it? It seems weird because so much online discussion amongst the free who care about the game has been focused on it for reviews not to even in passing assuage or acknowledge it.

Likely because most of the english reviewers did not play the game in Japanese.

You'll see those impressions within the next couple days from myself and from others from the import OT who pick up the english release.

If there is a review that compares the English and Japanese one, I'll let you know but in the mean time it's just the handful who have already played it and were not given a copy to review to make comparisons.

Judging from the reviews so far, I don't think the changes were large enough or substantial enough to detract from the game or make the game any worse, but I'll give a more in-depth comparison later when the OT is up and I have my hands on the game if you are willing to wait.

The best thing you can maybe do is compare the Japanese reviews to the English ones to see how different or similar they are in how they received the game.

MrDaravon

Legitimately shocked at Polygon's score lol.

I canceled the LE edition of the game since it was kinda not doing it for me and I'm still really on the fence on the game itself, but I'll probably grab the regular edition off Amazon when I get paid to get the 20% off and secure a physical copy just in case. This seems like a game that is going to be hard to find at a point for sure.

Nyoro SF

Polygon - "TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS FEELS AS MUCH LIKE A MAGICAL GIRL ANIME AS ANYTHING ELSE"

Well, at least the author was serviced then. lol

Wait you're Mike Williams from the Axe of the Blood God podcast?

k8DQE_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Cool review!

I am indeed!

I've noticed that no one really mentions the content edits in any of the reviews I've read so far. Was there any directive not to talk about it? It seems weird because so much online discussion has been focused on it for reviews not to even in passing assuage or acknowledge it.

I did not play the game in Japanese. I got the NA version of the game and reviewed it.

I'd expect someone will do a hard comparison at some point, but none of the changes have drastically altered the story from what I have seen. But again, that's up to someone who's played both.

EDIT: I realize this didn't quite answer your question. No, there's no review stipulations here. In fact, there's no content guidelines at all, which is rather odd, because many games say "Don't spoil stuff past X." #FE? None of that. "All content may be discussed." Any reviewer could spoil the game if they felt like it.

EU embargo was more than 2 hours ago.

That explains it.

Choomp

Banned
Oh yas sweet, the good reviews for this game add to my excitement. Probably will get it sooner rather than later too

Shun

The game's out later this week, is someone making a OT for the NA release?

I am, since I'm reusing assets from the import OT. I already have it ready to post and the street date's been open with a few people enough to discuss the game.

I'll post it later tonight, or whenever you let me open the floodgates.

Legitimately shocked at Polygon's score lol.

I canceled the LE edition of the game since it was kinda not doing it for me and I'm still really on the fence on the game itself, but I'll probably grab the regular edition off Amazon when I get paid to get the 20% off and secure a physical copy just in case. This seems like a game that is going to be hard to find at a point for sure.

Considering you also get 20% of the $20 extra limited edition cost you would be paying only $16 more.

It comes with $10 of DLC so you're basically paying $6 for the rest of the stuff.

MrDaravon

Considering you also get 20% of the $20 extra limited edition cost you would be paying only $16 more.

It comes with $10 of DLC so you're basically paying $6 for the rest of the stuff.

From what I could find on the DLC contents in JP I wasn't really interested in the DLC, especially since the US LE isn't going to include one DLC they're cutting for the west. I honestly still don't even know that I want the game itself, but I'm willing to drop ~$48 on Amazon for a physical copy of the standard edition just in case basically.

Memory

Read a few of the lower reviews, they mostly seem to be "its not the FE X SMT we wanted".

Seems abit unfair to have this as a main criticism when Nintendo nor Atlus ever sold it as being so. All we ever got was an announcement trailer that had slides from Awakening and SMTIV.

In anycase I was already sold on the import impressions, hoping this gets delivered early so I can make up my own mind on it.

Not surprised. It's a good game, and a lot of the things people had issues with during the reveal (OMG IT'S ALL ABOUT IDOLS UGH) were entirely overblown. Playing it makes that very clear.

Top Bottom