• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Chick: The Man Who Hated Deus Ex

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Everyone has their opinions, but when he goes on to say blatantly incorrect statements...

That was before console systems came along and saved us all from poorly optimized engines.

...I just shrug and place him the corner with the rest of the gaming journos.

_Bro

Banned
He said it's less than average and he's pretty much right. You can have as many great ideas as you want in a game, you pull them off as well as Deus Ex did, and you can still have shitty gameplay that's highest points are based around how you get past doors.

BuddhaRockstar said:
I just visited his site, people take this guy seriously? Check out his top 10 overrated games of 2008, if that's not trolling for hits I don't know what is.

http://fidgit.com/archives/2008/12/10_most_overrated_games_of_200.php
Are you serious?

Aselith

dralla said:
i really don't understand the point of the article. some guy gives deus ex a low score and now interview him 10 years later? great.

From the article said:
I felt I couldn’t finish our looking-backwards at Deus Ex without talking to Tom about his infamous running-joke provoking review…

U read?

DeBurgo said:
you know you look at game rankings right now and deus ex has near universal praise, but I could've sworn there were a lot of fairly prominent 8 out of 10 reviews for the game when it came out. The big one being gamespot's which was like 8.2 out of 10, but I thought there were more.

That isn't surprising, by many scales of scoring Deus Ex is an 8/10 game despite being one of the best games ever made. Review scores come in two major categories; those that attempt to score the game itself, and those which attempt to rate the enjoyment that the reviewer got from it. Deus Ex would lose marks for graphics and voice-acting, for example, when the first approach is used. However, if a reviewer takes the latter approach they might score it higher because those deficiencies weren't important to them, and didn't detract from their enjoyment of the game.

BuddhaRockstar said:
I just visited his site, people take this guy seriously? Check out his top 10 overrated games of 2008, if that's not trolling for hits I don't know what is.

Reading:

Tom Chick said:
Many of the following ten games are great. A few came close to being on my top ten list (to be posted tomorrow). I would call a couple of them works of genius. But I think they're the most overrated games of the year for the simple fact that I'm surprised at how well received they were. I wouldn't recommend any of these without a few important caveats.

It's fundamental.

Zeliard

Tom Chick said:
When Deus Ex was released, the Unreal engine struggled mightily with the level design. That was before console systems came along and saved us all from poorly optimized engines.

This is why you don't task a console gamer with something like a Deus Ex review.

This guy can write some good stuff... I miss Computer Games magazine. I have no idea why so much of his stuff since then has been mostly just annoying.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dear god, you people think that comment about consoles saving us from poorly optimized engines is serious? Talk about blatant sarcasm missed. I mean this article was posted on fucking RPS, a site dedicated to PC games.

Stallion Free said:
Dear god, you people think that comment about consoles saving us from poorly optimized engines is serious? Talk about blatant sarcasm missed. I mean this article was posted on fucking RPS, a site dedicated to PC games.
I was going to say this, but I wanted to let it go on a bit longer.

Zeliard

Gravijah said:
do you even know who the man is

Someone who played Dragon Age on the 360 while trying to claim that the differences between it and the PC version were negligible and amounted mostly to graphics whoreness?

Or maybe there's another Tom Chick out there.

Aselith

jim-jam bongs said:
That isn't surprising, by many scales of scoring Deus Ex is an 8/10 game despite being one of the best games ever made. Review scores come in two major categories; those that attempt to score the game itself, and those which attempt to rate the enjoyment that the reviewer got from it. Deus Ex would lose marks for graphics and voice-acting, for example, when the first approach is used. However, if a reviewer takes the latter approach they might score it higher because those deficiencies weren't important to them, and didn't detract from their enjoyment of the game.

Reading:

It's fundamental.

It's interesting that he feels that way about Colonization. I've never won a game either and I still love playing it. It's a great game but super complex and tough as nails. I have no problems losing everytime out. :D

I thought I just sucked at it though. Kinda surprised that a big strategy gamer like Chick had the same problems.

Gravijah

Zeliard said:
Someone who played Dragon Age on the 360 while trying to claim that the differences between it and the PC version were negligible and amounted mostly to graphics whoreness?

Or maybe there's another Tom Chick out there.

To the average gamer, that... honestly is the major difference, graphics.

Timber

this guy just seriously did an interview about not liking some game. as if he wasn't insufferable enough already.

Sqorgar

Banned
I was one of those he was arguing with back in the usenet days. I remember getting in a very long, very heated discussion on the nature of crates and sewers in Deus Ex and (I think) Half-Life. Thinking back, it was a particularly stupid thing to argue about, but thousands of very sincere words were traded. To this day, I think he is a fool because of it. As wrong as his opinions were, at least he was willing to get up and defend them.

Timber

i feel like my internet fame is on the rise and i need something to ramp up the momentum. someone care to interview me about final fantasy 10?

Gravijah

Timber said:
i feel like my internet fame is on the rise and i need something to ramp up the momentum. someone care to interview me about final fantasy 10?

who the fuck are you and can you give good head

Kraut

Tom Chick could hate rainbows, puppy dogs, and ponies for all I care. He's still a better and more humourous writer than most game reviewers.

John

Timber said:
GAF: So. How was it?

jim-jam bongs said:
Reading:

It's fundamental.

Of course I read the first fucking paragraph you dipshits. Are you honestly defending journalism that consists of-

6) Wii Fit
Wii fad.

There's making a case for a game being overrated and then there's just listing names of popular games to make people mad and get hits.

Speaking of hits, is it just me or does his site auto-refresh? Wtf is up with that?

John

BuddhaRockstar said:
Of course I read the first fucking paragraph you dipshits. Are you honestly defending journalism that consists of-

There's making a case for a game being overrated and then there's just listing names of popular games to make people mad and get hits.

Speaking of hits, is it just me or does his site auto-refresh? Wtf is up with that?
Did he really need to say more there?

Zeliard

Gravijah said:
To the average gamer, that... honestly is the major difference, graphics.

:lol

Please.

Tom Chick said:
But mostly I'm happy to be playing on the 360 because this is a long game with a lot of down time where I really don't need a mouse and keyboard. Time spent in dialogue trees. Time spent poring over character sheets. Time spent considering the detailed descriptions of skills and equipment. Time spent checking the map. Time spent watching cutscenes. For every minute I might have wished I had a mouse, there have been ten minutes I'm glad I can sprawl out on the couch.

He even busted out the comfy couch rationale. Tom Chick, PC gamer extraordinaire.

With critics, it isn't really important whether or not you agree with the review. That isn't what makes a good critic. When you read a review by a good critic, you should be able to tell if you would like the game, even if he didn't, and vice versa.

That's why Roger Ebert is still my go-to movie critic. I agree with him on most movies, and even when I don't, I can usually understand why. His reviews are so good that I can know what to expect, even if I don't agree with his conclusion.

This may not be terribly relevant, but I was inspired to write it after reading some of the comments about what makes a "good review."

Gravijah

BuddhaRockstar said:

It's a post on what is basically a blog. It's not journalism. And are you really complaining about a website auto-refreshing?

Timber

Gravijah said:
who the fuck are you and can you give good head
i go by the name of timber and i will talk at length about my head-giving theories, technique and experience as long as my opinions are published on kotaku dot com.

John said:
GAF: So. How was it?
if you like final fantasy 10, you hate gaming and giving head. do you work for destructoid?

Dead Man

I read that, and all i hear is someone bitching about technical limitations of the time, and the issues inherent in being one of the first iterations of a new sub genre, and bagging the game for that.

Tom Chick is still a dick, confirmed.

Gravijah said:
It's a post on what is basically a blog. It's not journalism. And are you really complaining about a website auto-refreshing?

Oh, well I just assumed when the article in the OP cited him as-

Tom Chick, now one of the most respected American games journalists currently writing about the medium

That articles written by him would be, you know, well written, blog or not.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Whether he likes trolling for attention or just has opinions most people don't agree with(or a little bit of both), the fact remains that this is a dumb thing to be mad about. He'll write his reviews and you guys will read somebody else's reviews. Everybody's happy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Stallion Free said:

Sarcasm isn't easily detected in an interview like this. Just because the site is PC gaming based, doesn't mean he still didn't mean the comment. He states the engine ran poorly on release, said it was nice to see it finally running smoothly upon playing it much later than made the console comment.

What was the last PC game Tom has covered on his site anyway? Seems few and far between these days.

Slavik81

Gravijah said:
It could be written on a scrap of toilet paper. Journalism is about the message, not the medium.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i imagine in a decade we'll have an article titled, "jeff gerstmann: the man who thought twilight princess was just 'really pretty damn good'"

JesseZao

This guy, 8.8., and 7-9 scales are reasons I hate that reviews give games numbers. If reviewers really want people to discuss why they didn't like a game, don't attach a number.

Edit Reply: This guy wants people to talk about why he didn't like the game. Great. Leave a number off the review then. I hate 8.8 because acting like you can be that precise objectively is silly. Hating 7-9 scales is just part of my hate for lack of consistency of different ratings from different publications (assuming we are stuck with numbers on reviews). This guy may have scored the game using a 1-10 scale, but it's not consistent across the board so it just draws more attention to the score. Movies are consistent with 0-4 star reviews that make it easy to compare trends if you actually have to put a number on it.

soldat7

Dead Man said:
Tom Chick is still a dick, confirmed.

Good grief GAF. :lol

wikipedia said:
Tom W. Chick (birthday August 14, 1966) is an American television and movie actor, and independent journalist. His most prolific TV roles were as Oscar's lover Gil in the US version of The Office, and the hard-hitting reporter Gordon in The West Wing. As a writer, Tom has contributed to many current and past video game publications. He currently functions as editor-in-chief for the Fidgit gaming blog.

Very interesting. I did not know this.

JesseZao said:
This guy, 8.8., and 7-9 scales are reasons I hate that reviews give games numbers. If reviewers really want people to discuss why they didn't like a game, don't attach a number.

Wait a second...

wikipedia said:
Chick's reviews are no stranger to controversy as he has been an outspoken critic of what he calls the "7-9 rating scale" at some game review sites[10], and due to occasional game reviews which were widely considered to be different from the main, such as his harshly critical review of Deus Ex of which he said "I'd say it's only 90% bad." in a June 2000 review

You have something in common!

Dead Man

soldat7 said:
Good grief GAF. :lol

Very interesting. I did not know this.
Meh, I don't know the guy, but I reserve my right to call him an insult that rhymes with his last name! If he didn't want that, he should have picked different parents!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
BuddhaRockstar said:

When you are talking about things being overrated that's kind of an auto-troll.

edit: I actually played a game of Demigod with Tom Chick. Kind of cool. I was really into The Office at the time, and I understand that he was in a couple episodes.

Gravijah

Slavik81 said:
It could be written on a scrap of toilet paper. Journalism is about the message, not the medium.

But what you say changes based on who you're talking to. On a blog, to be read by fans, people you know, etc, you might be sarcastic, with in jokes, with less... journalyismish.

stupei

jim-jam bongs said:
Reading:

It's fundamental.

Wait, wait. So he thinks these games are fun and some of the best games of the year and yet is surprised that other people also thought they were fun and some of the best games of the year, which makes them overhyped and that's a worthwhile topic for a list as article... and this is the defense of his writing as a reviewer? That he is shocked that people find similar things fun?

Really?

IrishNinja

Gravijah said:
Person gives game low score, people attack persons opinion, in turn wonder why review system is corrupt and meaningless.

yup.

Some games have built-in fans who like to vent. And that’s cool. I’ve run into that a fair bit when I’ve been critical of Playstation exclusives like Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2. Nintendo has its defenders, but they don’t have that siege mentality. I wrote a negative review of Metal Gear Solid 4, but began with the premise that the game was mostly fan service, which might have deflected the death threats to your buddy who gave it an 8.

However, I think it’s important to look at that sort of anger as a sort of immaturity, a fundamental insecurity about your own opinion, about being unable to express it without simply being emphatic. It’s a defensive measure more than anything else. If reviewers want to address this – and I feel we should since it permeates the way people talk about videogames – the best we can do is explain ourselves in such a way as to work around that defensiveness. It’s important that we’re articulate, that we give context, that we talk specifics as much as we can, that we avoid lazy comments and clichés and hyperbole, that we’re willing to have conversations.

lotta truth in these 2 paragraphs. im with the other guy who was on about Ebert & even when you dont agree with a reviewer of choice, you understand why they dont like something.

Zeliard said:
He even busted out the comfy couch rationale. Tom Chick, PC gamer extraordinaire.

....but you didn't establish anything about his core point, that being the big difference he saw between PC/console DAO was graphics, and why he found other differences negligible.

BobsRevenge said:
When you are talking about things being overrated that's kind of an auto-troll.

...how, though? this mentality leads to sacred cow status, which does no good towards the problems inherent in 7-9 system.

stupei

IrishNinja said:
...how, though? this mentality leads to sacred cow status, which does no good towards the problems inherent in 7-9 system.

When you describe admittedly fun games as "overrated" simply because they have flaws, you are not really using language appropriately. I would think most gamers -- having played games and all -- know that there is no such thing as a perfect game. That every 10/10 has some kind of flaw.

If all he wants to do is discuss the flaws or lodge criticism against what he admits are great games, you would think "what's not working in some of the best games of 2008" is a more appropriate and less flame baity title. "Overrated" just screams "this title is here to get clicks." It's lazy and not at all accurate to describe some of the best games in any given year as "overrated" just because other people enjoyed playing them also.

Top Bottom