• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Remake and Factions are nearly finished, could release in the second half of this year

onQ123

Hold up! What they mean by remake? And whoa can't believe 2 new generations have launched since The Last Of Us I can still remember the weird teasers with the zombie ants like it was yesterday

Msamy

This expected,TLOU remake is built in TLOU 2 engine and under development since 2018 in vsag before fully handled to ND also fictions is under development since 2019 given the facts that TLOU 2 engine have next gen futures disabled it will be easy to remake the TLOU , develop fictions and upgrade TLOU2 with director cut removed parts( which removed due to hardware limits) , I really think right now majority of ND works in Future New title

I wonder how they will space out these TLOU related titles, if that is their aim at all to begin with? Perhaps will they launch a TLOU Parts I & II (Remake for the first, Director's Cut for the second) box set at $70-$80? But then, what about Factions? No idea...

HTK

Banned
Really bummed out that the TLOU MP wont come out until 2nd half of the year if the reports are true. Was really hoping to see it release in Q1 latest Q2.

Lognor

Banned
This expected,TLOU remake is built in TLOU 2 engine and under development since 2018 in vsag before fully handled to ND also fictions is under development since 2019 given the facts that TLOU 2 engine have next gen futures disabled it will be easy to remake the TLOU , develop fictions and upgrade TLOU2 with director cut removed parts( which removed due to hardware limits) , I really think right now majority of ND works in Future New title
So it'll release on ps4 as well then?

Skifi28

ce4E4nM.jpg

@gkTH

The way too early thoughs likely because its impressive quality of the original on PS3, the 2006 hardware. The total look of the remake could be insane on the 15 years later spec.

Lognor

Banned
They're 2 different games.
I thought it was supposed to be a part of tlou2 but was pushed back because it wasn't ready. Was that not the case? Or did they decide after to make it standalone?

It's still supposed to be free to play, right?

Really bummed out that the TLOU MP wont come out until 2nd half of the year if the reports are true. Was really hoping to see it release in Q1 latest Q2.
You thought they were going to drop TLOU MP in the next few months when it hasn't been officially announced, detailed, or shown? Seems like you should've gotten your expectations straight. Sony doesn't stealth drop their games especially Naughty Dog ones

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Factions will be cool but I find it hard to believe that anyone is really interested in a Last of us remake. I’m glad if people are but it just seems like overkill to do that.

I recently played the remastered version to grab the platinum on PS5 again through back compat and it’s a pretty solid 60fps and not a bad looking game. Sure it could have updated textures yada yada but I cannot support this practice financially. I think it’s a really silly idea in all honesty but I’m sure a lot of people will pay for it and enjoy it.

kyliethicc

Please don’t retcon bullshit, please don’t retcon bullshit, please don’t retcon bullshit 🙏

Watch them make Joel look like Pedro and Ellie look like a middle aged crazy cat lady.
Nah man its a normal tech remake using the Part II assets.

We've already seen the Joel & Ellie remake models in the Part II prologue.

The idea is to make Parts I + II feel like 1 big story. Similar fidelity etc.

6bxAPi5.jpg
wzI6eIx.jpg
Y6yRpFc.jpg

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So multiplayer will come two years after the release of the single player game? Jesus. Can't believe it's taken them that long to get this thing done!

I think this has the potential to be one of their biggest multiplayer titles ever, so I can see why they would want to expand on it.

I never got into Battle Royal games, but the style of play is pretty much tailored to Battle Royal. I just hope they don't abandon the 4v4 survivor mode that made the original multiplayer fun.

Lognor

Banned
Maybe there is a big chance of that ,remember the game built in TLOU2 engine after all
Yeah, that's why I asked because you mentioned it. Is that confirmed or is that speculation? I would think nd would go nuts with a remake and go ps5 only to make it look as good as possible.

Does tlou on ps4 look that much better than tlou2? If not, what's the point of a remake if it'll be on the old console?

kyliethicc

HTK

Banned
You thought they were going to drop TLOU MP in the next few months when it hasn't been officially announced, detailed, or shown? Seems like you should've gotten your expectations straight. Sony doesn't stealth drop their games especially Naughty Dog ones
Yes that's right. I'm very well aware of ND as I've played most of their games.

Nothing wrong with my expectations as the MP was in development along with TLOU 2 at some point until they prioritized the Single Player. Since the launch of TLOU 2 it's been what 2 years now?

So yes I was expecting a reveal sometime in Q1 at least, with a launch day latest Q2.

I may be bummed out about it, but I still rather wait and have a more of a complete game than what Battlefield 2042 and Vanguard released like a broken mess, still to this day.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Pretty obvious the reason for the remake is cater to the TV Show, pretty smart from business perspective.

mortal

Gold Member
Hard to believe they're actually remaking TLOU when it hasn't even been a decade.
Genuinely curious in seeing what they could possibly do to dramatically improve the experience.

If it's current-gen only, then I'd imagine it could look even better than TLOU Part 2.

kyliethicc

Oh And who are you? Not a random person on the internet?

I'm going with free to play. One random guy on the internet to another
I never said it was supposed to be free or not.

You asked if 2 questions - if its standalone and if its free to play?

I answered.

Naughty Dog have said its standalone.

They have not said anything on price.

Msamy

Yeah, that's why I asked because you mentioned it. Is that confirmed or is that speculation? I would think nd would go nuts with a remake and go ps5 only to make it look as good as possible.

Does tlou on ps4 look that much better than tlou2? If not, what's the point of a remake if it'll be on the old console?

There is nothing confirmed other than what Jason said about game engine which is the same TLOU2 engine and that's give big possiblity that TLOU remake will be cross gen and I really don't like that if happened. I hope they upgrade TLOU2 engine for ps5 to point which it can't be used in ps4

Last edited:
No? Is that confirmed? I just Googled it:

Seems it could be free to play...
Its not officially confirmed but I think it will be free to play.

PS is lacking in exclusive multiplayer games and this game is a big opportunity to at least have one big multiplayer exclusive.

Charging for this would be stupid because the goal should be to get as much players in and they can make more in the backend on microtransactions. I also think this will be a cross gen game for the same reason.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I mean put me down for that remake. Hell yeah. TLOU is one of my favorite games ever.

Yes, it's definitely not terribly far from the original release and the Remaster is even newer but at the same time...

- TLOU is a masterpiece and I'll take more any day (2 is at least nearly as good, arguably better)
- tech has increased dramatically since the PS3 original and even the PS4 Remaster, the game is sure to look dramatically different
- as solid as the first game is, assuming they don't fuck this up somehow, improvements can be made
- they can add stuff, as I hope they will

Just don't go and somehow fuck it up. Don't race or gender swap any characters. Leave them be.

Last edited:
So multiplayer will come two years after the release of the single player game? Jesus. Can't believe it's taken them that long to get this thing done!
The multiplayer has nothing to do with TLOU2. They told us almost a year before TLOU2 released that it would be something separate.

2 months or 3 years... it's 2 distinct products.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was a F2P game with some in game currency, season passes, etc releasing on PS4 and PS5 tbh

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not sure if the first one needs a remake this soon, especially as there's a very good 4K/60 enhanced remaster of the first game already available, which looks pretty good even today.

Last edited:

Larxia

I hope Druckmann didn't "improve" the game with even more of his "diversity" nonsense. Cautiously looking forward to it.
I'm confused about Naughty Dog / Druckmann working on something related to Joel again since they hate that character now, so it just feels weird. I'm too wondering if they will make changes. I've been thinking the same thing about the TV show too, working on a TV show with a main character you hate is strange.

kyliethicc

I'm confused about Naughty Dog / Druckmann working on something related to Joel again since they hate that character now, so it just feels weird. I'm too wondering if they will make changes. I've been thinking the same thing about the TV show too, working on a TV show with a main character you hate is strange.
No one loves Joel more than Druckmann. Other than maybe Troy Baker.

Top Bottom