• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: XSS specs (20CU at 1.55Ghz ≈ 3.97TF, similar CPU to XSX, PCIe4 SSD ,, >250W, 10GB of ram and no disk drive)

K.N.W.

I was hoping for more RAM: it is true that RAM consumption scales down nicely with graphics settings, but other parts of the game don't. For example animations may take a lot of RAM and not scale with resoultion/settings, only with framerate. Let's see how this pans out 🧐

cudiye

The way these different iteration of consoles are named is so dumb. I legit lost track nor do I know which is the latest. And that is coming from a guy that browses gaming forums.

Your typical soccer moms and dads wont be able to differentiate these consoles when they’re looking to buy gifts for their kids and instead wind up dissapointing them with.

xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox one
Xbox one x
Xbox series x
Xbox series S or xbox S
??

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It would be a hilarious turn of events of this is the console which the SSD secret sauce ends up benefiting most.
If those slides is something to believe, then this is probably how it ended up being.

LarknThe4th

That series X exclusive thing, by it's very existence is worrying

Hopefully when they reveal the Series S they clarify everything

Besides that its looking good

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The way these different iteration of consoles are named is so dumb. I legit lost track nor do I know which is the latest. And that is coming from a guy that browses gaming forums.

Your typical soccer moms and dads wont be able to differentiate these consoles when they’re looking to buy gifts for their kids and instead wind up dissapointing them with.

xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox one
Xbox one x
Xbox series x
Xbox series S or xbox S
??

They should have gone with something entirely new. The XBox Alpha - or similar. Something that would have suggested lots of power, and being the best. Series X/S means nothing.

THE:MILKMAN

1. This is not official Microsoft spec sheet.
2. Yes, if you own FH2 or FH3 digitally, you can still play them on Lockhart :messenger_winking: ...It's like bitching that you won't be able to play PS4 discs on PS5 DE

The same argument applies to the PS5 DE. I don't think the DE PS5 is aimed directly at the budget conscious though unlike Series S but some still might feel they're being "forced" to pay extra for a disc drive, disc-based BC and game sharing.

Personally I don't trust either Sony or Microsoft on the digital side and some of their practices leave a bad taste and so I will stick with a disc-based system.

FireFly

You realize that you are talking about games develped for console hardware then ported to PC and upscaled from there? And even PC only games are never targeting the high end hardware...they can just be scaled up.
Which was exactly my point......
You usually don`t develop high end=>low end but the other way around. Baseline is always the defining factor in scope.
Right, but my point is the cost of "scaling up" to 4K from 1080p is a third of the performance, across a range of benchmarks. So you can have the same quality level at 4K and 1080p, with hardware that differs by a factor of 3x.

Or in other words, resolution already eats up a huge chunk of the extra hardware resources on the XSX.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
That is neither how render pipelines work nor how software development works.
Tooling, staffing, QA, certification.....all those efforts just doubled.
And since downscaling is usually a lot harder than upscaling ...well you can fill in the rest.

So suddenly, cheap quick ports don't exist.

I guess it costed Rockstar the same to port Red Dead Redemption 2 for the PS4 Pro than make the game itself in the first place, am I right?

The only XBox on sale right now is the One S, and that is about to be replaced.

By Fall, there will probably just be two: Series S and Series X. So there won't be that much confusion.
Ms will not leave 199 market to ps4 only

So
X1s
Xss
Xsx

Will be sold for aNorher 2 years or so

saintjules

Might suck for people wanting a cheaper entry hardware, to not have a disc drive on it if they collected discs in the past.

Last edited:

makaveli60

67b.jpg

Right, but my point is the cost of "scaling up" to 4K from 1080p is a third of the performance, across a range of benchmarks. So you can have the same quality level at 4K and 1080p, with hardware that differs by a factor of 3x.

Or in other words, resolution already eats up a huge chunk of the extra hardware resources on the XSX.
uuuh---yes?
Have I ever doubted that?
but 12tf for native 4k + rt over 7 years......that`s not gonna work. You don´t have to look further than current pc hardware to see what "next gen" visuals cost in performance.
Both the XSX and the PS5 will have to abandon that render target...and what about the XSS then? Sub 1080p or abandon the visual parity by dialing everything down besides just the resolution?

I guess it costed Rockstar the same to port Red Dead Redemption 2 for the PS4 Pro than make the game itself in the first place, am I right?
Since RS actually implemented a special resolution and other "pro" specific features and development time is costly....no that indeed wasn`t cheap for a project of this size. Nothing in software development is ever "cheap and quick" the moment it also has to be good.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Since RS actually implemented a special resolution and other "pro" specific features and development time is costly....no that indeed wasn`t cheap for a project of this size. Nothing in software development is ever "cheap and quick" the moment it also has to be good.

Yes, in software development there is such a thing as cheap and quick ports. There has been trillion of cheap and quick ports in the console and PC world. They don't cost 5 dollars, that's for sure, but relatively for what a game costs to make and develop, they are cheap and quick.

But it's okay, the concern trolling by the Sony fans was a given.

You mean the dolphin game? No AAA games will be 1440p/60fps.

I see some Remasters and some not demanding games doing it.

You wanna bet?

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I mentioned it in another thread, and this isn't meant to suck the wind out of the sails from this rumor, but what happens when a very demanding game releases for the XSX that forces it to reduce its resolution below 4k? Wouldn't that mean that the XSS version goes sub-1080?

I think the idea of a console that can hit next gen looks at 1080p is pretty novel. Statistically I think most people still have 1080p TVs. But it does present some interesting wrinkles.

Another interesting twist: MS ML/checkerboarding/A.I. upscaling.

Last edited:

vdopey

if this is priced around 150 - 199 I might pick one up, but considering it has no ssd built-in i'm guessing it might require 1 of those custom ssd expansion cards:

3644166-external.png

It all comes down to the price of this and if this costs $150 and the xss is $200 that's $350, if the xss is anything more than $199 then whats the point ? ideally that ssd storage should be $50 (for 512GB) and the console $150 at that price point I will bite and get one just to play some of the xbox exclusives.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am telling you man, series S has so much potential and Microsoft despite not having major games at launch, has the potential to outsell PS5 because of Series S pricing. I don't see Sony pricing their PS5 DE anywhere as low as Series S.

😂😂 Never in a lifetime with Sony's mindshare would any Xbox sku outsell Sony hardware globally consistently. We already have a case study when Sony wasnt even at their best with ps3 at hundreds more on release outselling way cheaper 360 globally almost every month. Mind you this was when Xbox had exclusives to go toe to toe with Sony, a better online, better performing multiplats and Sony's online services going down for months which should have been disastrous. Let's stop acting like ps3/Xbox 360 scenario never happened.

History has spoken and tht was when Xbox was on top of their game, now ppl don't even care about Xbox like tht and Halo is a shadow of itself.

Only price point that will make this sell good is 150-200 tops. This shit doa and I know Microsoft are trying to decide to announce it or pull plug, best bet is pull plug and focus on next box.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I mentioned it in another thread, and this isn't meant to suck the wind out of the sails from this rumor, but what happens when a very demanding game releases for the XSX that forces it to reduce its resolution below 4k? Wouldn't that mean that the XSS version goes sub-1080?

I think the idea of a console that can hit next gen looks at 1080p is pretty novel. Statistically I think most people still have 1080p TVs. But it does present some interesting wrinkles.

You can go 900p and upscale. No buyer of the console is ever going to pick the difference anyway.

Especially when upscaling is becoming better and better by the minute.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just 10 GB of RAM? Fuck that shit.
You know it's shared memory pool so VRAM and RAM in one package and it's true that VRAM portion scale with resolution used. Many times vendors scam people by shitty GPUs with lots of VRAM, I think it's a non issue IF there is enough space for data which then is going to be calculated. However this tells only part of the story, bandwidth is also important and we don't know how that would be gimped.

FireFly

uuuh---yes?
Have I ever doubted that?
but 12tf for native 4k + rt over 7 years......that`s not gonna work. You don´t have to look further than current pc hardware to see what "next gen" visuals cost in performance.
Both the XSX and the PS5 will have to abandon that render target...and what about the XSS then? Sub 1080p or abandon the visual parity by dialing everything down besides just the resolution.
It probably will be sub HD with reconstruction.

if this is priced around 150 - 199 I might pick one up, but considering it has no ssd built-in i'm guessing it might require 1 of those custom ssd expansion cards:

3644166-external.png

It all comes down to the price of this and if this costs $150 and the xss is $200 that's $350, if the xss is anything more than $199 then whats the point ? ideally that ssd storage should be $50 (for 512GB) and the console $150 at that price point I will bite and get one just to play some of the xbox exclusives.
Who said it has no ssd ? It has identical hard drive as xsx

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yuck Digital only went out the window for me when they started to raise prices a couple months ago in my country and i can find the physical versions cheaper in many cases.its giving too much control to companies and government imho.

Healthy digital + physical library mix

Last edited:
Top Bottom