• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: XSS specs (20CU at 1.55Ghz ≈ 3.97TF, similar CPU to XSX, PCIe4 SSD ,, >250W, 10GB of ram and no disk drive)

DavidGzz

The way these different iteration of consoles are named is so dumb. I legit lost track nor do I know which is the latest. And that is coming from a guy that browses gaming forums.

Your typical soccer moms and dads wont be able to differentiate these consoles when they’re looking to buy gifts for their kids and instead wind up dissapointing them with.

xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox one
Xbox one x
Xbox series x
Xbox series S or xbox S
??

1. Not available in stores
2. Not available in stores
3. Not available in stores
4. New premium Xbox
5. Also a 'Series' model but a cheaper entry to next gen
6. Xbox One S=old Xbox.

So 3 models and if she simply asks, she will get an easy answer. Not sure what the big deal is.

Klayzer

Gold Member
And that´s why you have a certification process by the platform holders on consoles.....

Guess that´s your usual answer when you don`t like facts?
Always. When in doubt blame Sony fanbois. Only Xbros can comment on any topic with Microsoft in it. That's the usual play to deflect any possible criticism at their favorite box. They get very emotional/pissy when someone dares not swallow up everything green.

Iced Arcade

This could be an interesting gen. If Priced right Xbox is actually going to "jump in"

Most powerful console priced the same as competition, budget console to grab casual/cheap consumers/secondary console, gamepass, xcloud, bought dozens of studios to ramp up 1st party output.

Big potential of monster eating BUT definitely could fuck it all up with price tags.

Last edited:
That;s true but it's still going to be a major headache for devs. A lot more than graphics will have to be adjusted to fit lower ram in most cases. Its going to be troubleshoot fest.
It also means a greater percentage of the total ram pool is taken up by the OS.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't go with 4GB DDR4 and 8GB GDDR6 or something to at least mean everything would work in the same way the XSX does things, just scaled down.

llien

So, XSeS to XSeX is like today's Madonna to 25 years old Madonna.

On a serious note, 4k is 4 times 1080p, at one third of the power of the bigger console, it might work... well?

Last edited:

vdopey

Who said it has no ssd ? It has identical hard drive as xsx
oops my bad, no disk drive and in the table it showed no storage amount for ssd so I assumed that meant no ssd - forgot about optical disc, but the table doesn't have ssd capacity, hopefully it has at-least 512G built in storage - I dont think its identical to xsx either.

tillbot8

Banned
Pardon my ignorance but why would the base tpd be the same? 199-250 bucks this could be a real notch in xboxs belt. Any higher and ehhhhhhh could be in trouble. (Well 299 might be ok...ISH,) any higher and DOA in my humble opinion!

oops my bad, no disk drive and in the table it showed no storage amount for ssd so I assumed that meant no ssd - forgot about optical disc, but the table doesn't have ssd capacity, hopefully it has at-least 512G built in storage - I dont think its identical to xsx either.
That would be really bad if it had lower speed as devs would just target that. Let's hope that's not the case

I feel MS has good configuration of consoles, one for 4k, one for 1080p, if true.

PS5 seems like will fall between powerwise and will need to upscale to hit 4k. And likely no benefit for 1080p owners either as they wish to push 4k displays.

I feel MS has good configuration of consoles, one for 4k, one for 1080p, if true.

PS5 seems like will fall between powerwise and will need to upscale to hit 4k. And likely no benefit for 1080p owners either as they wish to push 4k displays.
Or u could see it another way . Base for xbox next gen is 4tf and 10 gig ram (devs need to always consider this)and for ps5 is 10tf. Imagine what sony first party will do with that base 👀👌😌

For 199$, after taking a substantial loss, Series S would be the most popular next-gen console. The cheapest way the experience new games in 1080p/1440p with still stellar IQ.

Just imagine Microsoft flooding the market with its 199$ console and gaining Game Pass subscribers like crazy. The would lost a shitton of money year after year, but in the long term it would be totally worth it.

Can people please stop it with the $199 BS? That just is not going to happen so there is no point going on about it.

Or u could see it another way . Base for xbox next gen is 4tf and 10 gig ram (devs need to always consider this)and for ps5 is 10tf. Imagine what sony first party will do with that base 👀👌😌

Sony first party will deliver what they have been doing regardless.

They could keep making stuff for PS4 and still would look good against next gen.

A

Anal Wake

Unconfirmed Member
Can people please stop it with the $199 BS? That just is not going to happen so there is no point going on about it.
You’re right, it won’t happen. But IF it would, the marketshare growth with such a cheap, “almost” next-gen console would be insane for Microsoft.

Tschumi

I'm just anticipating the post mortems a few years from now. PS5? XSX/S? whichever fails, it'll be a great story.

I believe in PS5 but.. in the end i think, come the end of the generation, both consoles will have taken gaming to new places. Hope Microsoft gets out of the console game after this attempt, though~

mckmas8808

Banned
I am telling you man, series S has so much potential and Microsoft despite not having major games at launch, has the potential to outsell PS5 because of Series S pricing. I don't see Sony pricing their PS5 DE anywhere as low as Series S.

XSS kills Xbox's whole "most powerful console" message though. Not sure how MS thinks they'll be able to message both things successfully (i.e. cheapest and most powerful)

Sony first party will deliver what they have been doing regardless.

They could keep making stuff for PS4 and still would look good against next gen.
You´ll eat those words once you see actual next gen productions.
Not to say that games like GoW and LoU don`t look fantastic, especially considering the crap hardware they are running on, but the limitations are obvious if you know what to look for. The most obvious being the baked lighting, forced traversial areas limited area size with complex geometry etc etc etc.
Can`t wait for whatever ND and SSM are doing next.....

Last edited:

TTOOLL

I bet it outsells the X and will thus be the primary focus for developers. Anyone who believes this won't hold X games back, is lying to themselves.

I thought about this already, one of the SKUs will vastly outsell the other one, it's a problem either way.

You´ll eat those words once you see actual next gen productions.
Not to say that games like GoW and LoU don`t look facntastic, especially considering the crap hardware they are running on, but the limitations are obvious if you know what to look for. The most obvious being the baked lighting, forced traversial areas limited area size with complex geometry etc etc etc.

This was supposed to be a compliment.

What, you can't praise someone for doing a good job?

mckmas8808

Banned
I guarantee you these mistakes that MS is making (Lockhart, forced 1st party on Xbox One for 2 years, Halo delay, every 1st party game on GamePass Day One, etc) will be used as excuses as to why the PS5 succeeded 6 years from now. It's funny, because in the moment "certain" people are using these exact same mistakes from MS and calling them positives.

You’re right, it won’t happen. But IF it would, the marketshare growth with such a cheap, “almost” next-gen console would be insane for Microsoft.
Similar ideas existed for both Xbox 1X and Xbox SAD launch. Basically, the Warchest argument in disguise. Microsoft is not going to let Xbox Division throw money into a fire pit.

It's stronger than the Xbox One X, and therefore much more stronger than the PS4 Pro.
Gpu wise, its really not stronger than the X. Its stronger than the pro though. It's the Cpu that gives it the leg up. The GPU in the Series S is weaker than the GTX 1660 Super by at least 20%.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's easy to forget with the recent underwhelming showings, that Microsoft has some very smart strategy in place. Series S is interesting in that it could be a complete game-changer for how consoles go forward, or a technical mess that makes things difficult for developers/isn't suited to keep up with the Series X.

If it works though, I can see consoles being like some smartphones and tablets and offering a high-end and a low-end model from now on.

mckmas8808

Banned
Console war aside, can a technical guru confirm/explain if these specs are really impressive, considering current tech?

It's slightly better than an Xbox One X due to the CPU and SSD.

It's easy to forget with the recent underwhelming showings, that Microsoft has some very smart strategy in place. Series S is interesting in that it could be a complete game-changer for how consoles go forward, or a technical mess that makes things difficult for developers/isn't suited to keep up with the Series X.

If it works though, I can see consoles being like some smartphones and tablets and offering a high-end and a low-end model from now on.

At this point, who do you trust more to guide the advancement of console gaming strategy for the next 10 to 15 years? Nintendo and Sony? Or Microsoft?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
XSS kills Xbox's whole "most powerful console" message though. Not sure how MS thinks they'll be able to message both things successfully (i.e. cheapest and most powerful)
Most affordable

Because if those $++ prices are real, then XSS looks vastly more appealing then previously thought

onQ123

I guarantee you these mistakes that MS is making (Lockhart, forced 1st party on Xbox One for 2 years, Halo delay, every 1st party game on GamePass Day One, etc) will be used as excuses as to why the PS5 succeeded 6 years from now. It's funny, because in the moment "certain" people are using these exact same mistakes from MS and calling them positives.

Lockhart isn't a mistake though it's actually the smartest thing that they are doing in all this.

The 4K market is still smaller than then HD market & there is also a big market of people who don't really care about specs they just want the new console. parents & grandparents buying gifts for their kids will go for the Lockhart .

Series S will most likely sell better than Series X

BeardGawd

Banned

PS5 is 10tf variable and Sony won't be targeting 1080p (hopefully) so whatever Sony can do on the PS5 can be done on XSS at lower resolution.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Oh my god, if this really has 6GB less RAM than XSX, MS has dropped the ball big time. This was supposed to be the 1080p version, that would play the same games at a lower resolution -- that dream might be a little naive because it assumes certain targets on the XSX, but now they've gone and fucked it up by placing this huge development burden on devs to make the games work in a drastically reduced memory footprint.

This is basically ensuring a lot of games get developed for a lowest common denominator and won't fully exploit XSX.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Oh my god, if this really has 6GB less RAM than XSX, MS has dropped the ball big time. This was supposed to be the 1080p version, that would play the same games at a lower resolution -- that dream might be a little naive because it assumes certain targets on the XSX, but now they've gone and fucked it up by placing this huge development burden on devs to make the games work in a drastically reduced memory footprint.

This is basically ensuring a lot of games get developed for a lowest common denominator and won't fully exploit XSX.
Not true, this has shared memory VRAM and RAM protion, you don't need so much VRAM here...

DavidGzz

The amount of DOA comments are making me lmao. This will sell like hotcakes given a good price. I will buy one as a secondary console for my 1080p monitor if it's $300 or less.

Arkam

So I’m sticking with my One X
That’s my current thought too. I got the X1X as my BC console.... but then realized I can’t play most of the 360 games I wanted to... not making that mistake again. And w/o a disc unit It will never fill my BC needs. For new Xbox games I have a PC.

PS5 is 10tf variable and Sony won't be targeting 1080p (hopefully) so whatever Sony can do on the PS5 can be done on XSS at lower resolution.
10.3 variable with 2 to 3% drop in frequency meaning its a 10.08 to 10.28 tf console .

And sony studios are very talented( we can see what they achieve on 1.8tf machine ) so giving them this machine as base will be a sight to see next gen

This may have been discussed earlier but the lack of a disc drive is somewhat shocking tbh. I mean, this my assumption and I could be wrong but, i feel like price conscious consumers would also be price conscious with regards to game purchases? Removing the disc drive seems like a huge own goal to me especially looking at the failure that is the Xbox One SAD edition. I can't believe they would make that mistake again. Also, seeing as the US is by far Xbox's biggest market, the lack of a disc drive seems like a bigger own goal especially when you consider the internet infrastructure in the states.

Apart from that, it's also very evident that this is a 1080p machine at best. In no way is this a 1440p machine at least judging by the specs. Yes, if we're playing current gen games, sure but next gen games? Not a chance.

Finally, what's the storage size of the SSD on the Series S? No disc drive means its at least 1TB? At least I hope so or that would be another own goal.

This may have been discussed earlier but the lack of a disc drive is somewhat shocking tbh. I mean, this my assumption and I could be wrong but, i feel like price conscious consumers would also be price conscious with regards to game purchases? Removing the disc drive seems like a huge own goal to me especially looking at the failure that is the Xbox One SAD edition. I can't believe they would make that mistake again. Also, seeing as the US is by far Xbox's biggest market, the lack of a disc drive seems like a bigger own goal especially when you consider the internet infrastructure in the states.

Apart from that, it's also very evident that this is a 1080p machine at best. In no way is this a 1440p machine at least judging by the specs. Yes, if we're playing current gen games, sure but next gen games? Not a chance.

Finally, what's the storage size of the SSD on the Series S? No disc drive means its at least 1TB? At least I hope so or that would be another own goal.
Especially outside places with good Internet around the world .

Top Bottom