• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Writer Wants Lara to Evolve Past Her Father

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking at the 2022 BAFTA awards, narrative writer Rhianna Pratchett spoke about the evolution of Lara Croft and how the story of Tomb Raider has changed following the reboot of the franchise. Pratchett discussed that she'd like to see more in terms of Lara's growth, with her character development relying less on her father. For some fans, Lara's discovery of her father's past was a negative point for the story, as it meant the focus was taken from Lara and placed upon the mystery of her father.

Pratchett would love to see Lara move on from this relationship with her father, instead working on becoming the Tomb Raider fans have known for decades. Speaking on where the character could go in future entries, Pratchett said that she "would like to see probably less father issues... [W]hen we wrote the reboot game, she was really on her way to becoming a Tomb Raider." Pratchett then went on to say that she hopes in the future fans see Lara as an independent Tomb Raider, free of her father's past. With an upcoming Tomb Raider title being announced recently, there's hope these changes will come sooner rather than later.

You and me both.
The fact that during the first Crystal Dynamics trilogy it was all about "where's my mother" and the second trilogy (and reboot) was all about daddy is honestly annoying.

That said...i wonder how the series will evolve? Having Lara Croft going god knows where to shoot near-extinct animals won't be done in 2022. Hopefully they will focus on puzzles like Shadow and leave the shooting for games like Uncharted. Tomb Raider doesn't need that to be good.

Some people said Shadow was "boring" but this IP was never about action setpieces and scripted events of Lara falling and nearly dying every step of the way....it was always much better when it was about puzzle solving and i hope they follow that direction.

VN1X

Banned
How about Lara gets a son? Name him Leroy/Larry or some shit (maybe mixed race for good measure so everyone can be happy). And he'll be the next playable character for the next-next game. 🤯

"SUBVERT THE EXPECTATIONS" and all that.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
That's cool. Let's just hope she doesn't "evolve" much more than that cause we all know where that leads. Lol.

ddj98do-03bc2a7e-e047-44d8-b4f8-ac03fc4680a6.png

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The problem with that is Lara’s most important part (looks) are a big part of the appeal to tomb raider even if you give Lara grey hair I think it’ll sell.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Genuine question...name me 2 or 3 huge AAA titles where a main character is transgender or has transgender siblings. Since that would happen to "keep up" with modern games i'm sure it's been done to death.
Be triggered elsewhere please......oh they have to be AAA? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Anyways, my point isn't about representation, it's about when it's forced and unnatural. Why can't games just be games anymore?

Raven117

Gold Member
Its a bit hard to believe that after a trilogy, we didn't get to the gun-slingin badass...

Who knows what direction they will go, but I hope they lean into her being the badass (and can more subtly show different sides to give her), rather than being so on the nose.

They wont do this (because I'm having a hard time naming a game that does...other than AC:Syndicate),.....but them giving her a romantic interest (and because of her badassery, have that not work out---im not talking friendzone here), would be an interesting story arc.

On a more general note, I think its about time to give more complex relationships to female protagonists (specifically, heterosexual). We get them all the time with male protagonists, but it seems many developers make their female protagonists homosexual (maybe because they are concerned to what a hetrosexual relationship will effect how male players view the character?). (This isn't trying to be a political comment, just something I noticed).

I don't know. Would be cool to me.

Xevo

Speaking at the 2022 BAFTA awards, narrative writer Rhianna Pratchett spoke about the evolution of Lara Croft and how the story of Tomb Raider has changed following the reboot of the franchise. Pratchett discussed that she'd like to see more in terms of Lara's growth, with her character development relying less on her father. For some fans, Lara's discovery of her father's past was a negative point for the story, as it meant the focus was taken from Lara and placed upon the mystery of her father.

Pratchett would love to see Lara move on from this relationship with her father, instead working on becoming the Tomb Raider fans have known for decades. Speaking on where the character could go in future entries, Pratchett said that she "would like to see probably less father issues... [W]hen we wrote the reboot game, she was really on her way to becoming a Tomb Raider." Pratchett then went on to say that she hopes in the future fans see Lara as an independent Tomb Raider, free of her father's past. With an upcoming Tomb Raider title being announced recently, there's hope these changes will come sooner rather than later.

Didn't she get canned as a writer after "Rise"? I mean what she wants to see in a franchise, isn't really that relevant when she isn't actually working on that franchise anymore.

Doom85

LMAO, I read that as Rihanna at first, and thought, “wait, she stopped making music to focus on writing video games? Da fuck?”

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Tomb raider more like the evolution of dude raider. seriously her cheeks and booba keep getting flatter and flatter every game. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
The story is pretty much irrelevant and really shouldn't be the focus. The more it can be stripped down, the better.

All you have to do is let players explore 3D dungeons that have great level design. Get back to basics. Everyone knows who Lara is, and her character is not interesting. It's not going to get interesting either.

ethomaz

Banned
I mean why they created a father thing at all :unsure:

I don't remember she having these father issues in the original trilogy.
She was pretty badass before.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I mean if they want to keep reboot Lara's "personality" they could at least throw people a bone and give her dual wield pistols.

I'd much prefer a return to Tomb exploration with Busty Booty Shorts Lara being a Rooty Tooty Mcshooty with an open world on par with say BotW and you have a barebones story to find the greatest treasure there is to find while also exploring and finding hundreds of tombs with puzzles that make you think showcasing amazing set pieces and structures illustrating ancient civilizations.

Instead of "waaah muh insecurity how can I ever be like daddy".

Zeroing

Banned
Next up: Lara's grandfather issues
For those who didn’t played all the other games, I’m sure she will have mom issues… who will somehow still be alive and she must investigate!

Now being serious! Can’t they just make Lara go into a place and investigate things just by pure curiosity? Cut the backstory!!! It’s the weakest points of the recent trilogy!

ssringo

If they insist on trying to tell a story then just evolving would be good. The wheels have been spinning since a few hours into the reboot.

tommib

What if we just explore some tombs instead? Maybe shoot a few guys along the way. Thx.
You’re in for a rough awakening. They’ll double down on the open world. New Tomb Raider will be a copycat of Horizon. Massive open world with hundreds of characters to talk to for quests, endless skill trees, some kind of mount, small villages with bad guys to conquer. It’s going to be a nightmare.

Will sell millions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom