• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki strikes again

Gattsu25

Banned
Itagaki said:
Itagaki explained during an interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu that, after seeing other Japanese Xbox 360 games at E3, he came away disappointed with his contemporaries' efforts.
dead-or-alive-4-20050518103730018.jpg

olimario

Banned
"They are supposed to be software makers that represent Japan," Itagaki proclaimed. "I wonder if they have any pride? Given the world's strongest console, I was hoping to see some amazing graphics [from other Japanese developers], but I saw nothing.

:lol :lol
Lost Odyssey looks better than DOA4

Elios83

He was totally owned by Gears of Wars graphically and he talks like that :lol :lol :lol
Also he should be used to the fact that the other japanese developers work on other platforms.

He even calls the Xbox360 the most powerful game machine ever. This guy really is just a PR tool for Microsoft, and nothing more.

Ronin

typhonsentra said:
Coming from the guy who made Dead or Alive 4? :lol :lol :lol
Exactly. :lol

"Some developers may be wondering what in the world I am saying, but they should bring something that's better than what I've made."
That shouldn't be too hard.

thorns

Banned
Kutaragi and Itagaki should have a 1 vs 1 fight for the most arrogant prick title :lol
Itagaki is at least funnier though ;)

Laurent

Itagaki said:
Itagaki explained during an interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu that, after seeing other Japanese Xbox 360 games at E3, he came away disappointed with his contemporaries' efforts.
And people were calling me stupid for thinking that the guy wasn't impressed by Xbox 360... It could have been a personnal issue, not an hardware one...

If Japanese developers start beating him on the same platform he works on he starts bashing them nonstop, just look at how he treats NAMCO now.

I agree with him, at least as far as ultra impressive-looking Japanese X360 titles that I've seen covered that were at E3...which is what he talks about. Dead Rising was the only Japanese title shown there that looked as flashy as DOA4 and that's only because it had a shit-load of zombies on-screen. I don't see what's so fucked up about his opinion on it. Western developed X360 titles simply outclassed their Japanese counterparts. Granted, there weren't a whole lot of them shown, either.

123rl

Exactly. Itagaki is a total tit...he's the graphics whore icon for all the graphics whores and shallow gamers out there.

Graphically 99 Nights pissed all over DOA4 from an all new height anyway :lol

123rl said:
Graphically 99 Nights pissed all over DOA4 from an all new height anyway :lol

I'd like to agree, but from accounts that viewed the footage, only the close-up scene of the unnamed woman was real-time, where everything else was pre-rendered target footage.

quetz67

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
I don't see what's so fucked up about his opinion on it. Western developed X360 titles simply outclassed their Japanese counterparts.
yes, they outclassed most of the japanese games including his game. And with X360 being the most powerful console in the world DOA4 should have outclassed everything on Xbox360 AND PS3

quetz67 said:
yes, they outclassed most of the japanese games including his game.

I agree. It'll change a bit by the time the titles are finished, I'm sure. However, his statement is completely reasonable, IMO.

And with X360 being the most powerful console in the world DOA4 should have outclassed everything on Xbox360 AND PS3

Uhhh...what? His opinion of the power of the console is his opinion. As for something that should've looked better than everything else on the system and PS3, it's not hard to outclass the PS3, since no games were shown at E3...only footage...most of it being prerendered target footage. From all of the footage and whatnot, I think Gears of War was the most impressive X360 title shown, IMO.

Redbeard

Banned
He said he was disappointed with his contemporaries' efforts. Between FFXII, Frame City Killer, and Dead Rising I would've said the same.

Redbeard said:
He said he was disappointed with his contemporaries' efforts. Between FFXII, Frame City Killer, and Dead Rising I would've said the same.

Exactly. I know a lot of people have this ridiculous hatred for the guy and all that shit, but read the fucking article and think about what it says. He was talking about Japanese X360 titles shown at E3.

bloke

I still think Team Ninja will own all these fools with their 5 minutes of fame (Epic & co.) once it comes to final hardware. DOA and NG are best looking fighting/action games on current hardware, so Itagaki pretty much still have credit to shit on whoever he wants.

PG2G

Didn't they say DOA4 was only 10-15% complete? It isn't entirely out of the question that they could have turned off a bunch of effects to make the game run at a suitable frame rate on alpha kits.

123rl

bloke said:
I still think Team Ninja will own all these fools with their 5 minutes of fame (Epic & co.) once it comes to final hardware. DOA and NG are best looking fighting/action games on current hardware, so Itagaki pretty much still have credit to shit on whoever he wants.

Best looking, possibly. But they play like crap compared to other games. All this guy cares about is graphics and so do most of his supporters. That's why people have such a problem with this guy

123rl said:
Best looking, possibly. But they play like crap compared to other games. All this guy cares about is graphics and so do most of his supporters. That's why people have such a problem with this guy

I've no doubts to the final quality of DOA4...it'll be fantastic-looking and playing. I know people like to rag on the series for being scrubs-ville...but I like it for the same reason I like Smash Bros.... it's a fun multiplayer title that doesn't involve a shit-load of prior knowledge to play and have fun with. Both SSB and DOA are supposed to be fun and usable a lot more quickly than Tekken and VF. I also love VF and Tekken...well, more VF than Tekken. Those are hardcore fighting titles...but I'm not always in the mood to play one of those or not able to get people who know how to play those types of games around all the time. So, I'll go with DOA or SSB, which are a lot easier to have fun with.

As for the generalization about fans of DOA being more into the graphics than the gameplay...fuck off. It's a fun series for the reasons I've stated above. Tekken and VF players can be just as obsessed with the graphic quality of the games. Everyone wants nice looking games...what the fuck is wrong with that? Anyway, I'm done with this stupid thread.

PG2G said:
Didn't they say DOA4 was only 10-15% complete? It isn't entirely out of the question that they could have turned off a bunch of effects to make the game run at a suitable frame rate on alpha kits.

And show it to people at that state, so they can see how ugly it is! Yeah that's a good idea.

MightyHedgehog said:
Both SSB and DOA are supposed to be fun and usable a lot more quickly than Tekken and VF. I also love VF and Tekken...well, more VF than Tekken. Those are hardcore fighting titles...but I'm not always in the mood to play one of those or not able to get people who know how to play those types of games around all the time. So, I'll go with DOA or SSB, which are a lot easier to have fun with.

Itagaki puts DoA in the same category as Tekken and VG though, especially when he's bashing Tekken (he tries to shy away from bashing VF directly). Although I still think a big reason as to why he hates Tekken is because he's released a DoA against Tekken twice on a PS platform and both times Tekken not only sold better but it looked better too.

Shinobi

bloke said:

Heh, yep...if DOA4 looks no different after he's received his final kits, then I'll bust his balls along with the rest of the herd. Until that time comes, he's got more room then damn near anyone to talk about visual quality, or lack thereof.

123rl said:

:lol Graphics was all anybody cared about when E3 kicked off ("OMG KILLZONE 2 LOOKS SO AWESOME GAME OF THE SHOW I'M BUYING IT WHO CARES THAT THE FIRST GAME ATE SHIT!!!!111"), so don't kid yourself.

SolidSnakex said:
Itagaki puts DoA in the same category as Tekken and VG though, especially when he's bashing Tekken (he tries to shy away from bashing VF directly). Although I still think a big reason as to why he hates Tekken is because he's released a DoA against Tekken twice on a PS platform and both times Tekken not only sold better but it looked better too.

Anyway, doesn't matter what Itagaki thinks. We, as gamers, know that DOA sits below those games, in terms of complexity and overall depth. DOA is like Soul Calibur, not massively deep, but deep enough for most. And the reason he hate Tekken is because people at Namco made direct comments about DOA/Tecmo/Team Ninja. That's why he doesn't care for the Tekken series. He doesn't dis the VF series because he's admitted that DOA is very much inspired by Yu Suzuki/AM2's shit. And I'm really out of this shitty thread.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MightyHedgehog said:
Anyway, doesn't matter what Itagaki thinks. We, as gamers, know that DOA sits below those games, in terms of complexity and overall depth. DOA is like Soul Calibur, not massively deep, but deep enough for most. And the reason he hate Tekken is because people at Namco made direct comments about DOA/Tecmo/Team Ninja. That's why he doesn't care for the Tekken series. He doesn't dis the VF series because he's admitted that DOA is very much inspired by Yu Suzuki/AM2's shit. And I'm really out of this shitty thread.

I'm curious, how long ago were those comments made by Namco?

Alcibiades

I have to agree w/ him...

with the exception of Sonic, Sega's next-gen showcase of that car game and mature-gory game duo they have for launch of 360 didn't seem impressive at all to me. I was completely bored during the whole presentation. The graphics were completely underwhelming after all the buzz about "high-def" gaming Microsoft had hyped up...

The games didn't seem like trash technically, as I'm sure the 360 cpu was doing tons of complex stuff, but the look of Sega's two games was so uninteresting and seemed lame...

I'm not all that impressed with DOA4, but along w/ the Gears game, it's the only game that stands out among that pack of 360 stuff I've seen on the net...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well he's right about the japanese stuff, but there wasnt exactly a lot for him to be disapointed in...actually was anything developed in Japan (for 360) actually at the show?

Gattsu25

Banned
Shinobi said:
:lol Graphics was all anybody cared about when E3 kicked off ("OMG KILLZONE 2 LOOKS SO AWESOME GAME OF THE SHOW I'M BUYING IT WHO CARES THAT THE FIRST GAME ATE SHIT!!!!111"), so don't kid yourself.
The first killzone can be seen as a game that aspired well past the hardware's capabilities...the 'footage' mimicing an extremly hectic and overwhelming FPS experience also helped out with that. DOA4, on the other hand, wasn't the huge shift in performance that people would have expected from the team that is typically seen as one to push the XBox near its limit. Dead or Alive 4, while looking above what the XBox can do, doesn't look that different from the previous titles from either a graphical or gameplay perspective. There are some environmental interactions that are new and the environments are improved, but both are more of a gradual evolutionary shift as opposed to the radical evolution that Killzone and Gears of War displayed. Regardless of Killzone's footage being faked, the damage was done...Team Ninja should have thought twice before exhibiting footage of a 10-15% complete game.

Mrbob

What did he say which is wrong?

Watch the high resolution direct feed video of Dead or Alive 4. When I first saw the original pics, I thought it looked like a hi res DoA:U at first, too. Watching the hi res video is pretty damn impressive. You can see some details you can't see in the pics. It also gives you a scope of how massive some of these enviroments will be. It's funny how everything I read online from journalists say how great the DoA4 trailer looks. Download the hi res video and you can see how good it looks, too. Yet you gotta whiners complaining because they saw a handful of screenshots or watched some lo-res trailer from the ms conference where you can't see shit.

quetz67

Banned
Mrbob said:
What did he say which is wrong?
Even if he is right it doesnt make him less arrogant. The fact is not many japanese developers care about xbox360 because not many japanese gamers care about it.

The developers that care about it probably mostly care about the money shoved up their a$$es. So much about pride.

Shinobi

Gattsu25 said:
The first killzone can be seen as a game that aspired well past the hardware's capabilities...the 'footage' mimicing an extremly hectic and overwhelming FPS experience also helped out with that. DOA4, on the other hand, wasn't the huge shift in performance that people would have expected from the team that is typically seen as one to push the XBox near its limit. Dead or Alive 4, while looking above what the XBox can do, doesn't look that different from the previous titles from either a graphical or gameplay perspective. There are some environmental interactions that are new and the environments are improved, but both are more of a gradual evolutionary shift as opposed to the radical evolution that Killzone and Gears of War displayed. Regardless of Killzone's footage being faked, the damage was done...Team Ninja should have thought twice before exhibiting footage of a 10-15% complete game.

People can see things however they want. I saw people who a month before swore they never put graphics over gameplay participating in the biggest visual circle jerk since the debut of VF3, for a game to a sequel that underwhelmed many. It isn't like I don't see the reason for the excitement either...I was simply blown away by the sickening hypocrisy. Marty Chinn's infamous E3 thread would've been on point for this one. :lol

Meanwhile 360 games don't look that impressive, because we're still at least a month away from final kits. If their showing stuff in September that still looks like XBox Plus, then MS has some issues. But does anyone really believe that'll be the case? Or are some people just hoping for that (in much the same way some believe PS3 will be weaker then 360 cause of the Blu-Ray, or will cost 600 bucks at launch)?

Though in saying that, I've yet to see a hi-def vid for DOA4...but most who have seem to think it looks a lot better then the lower level vids and shots indicate. Not that certain people would keep that in mind.

Anyway, whatever...we'll see how the cards fall before too long.

People like to bash Itagaki because of his arrogance and DOA, but Team Ninja has become a damn good video game developer in recent years. Not only have they made some of the best looking games of this generation, but they have been good at pushing game design as well. Ninja Gaiden was probably the first action game with the deep combat system and enemy AI to force players to approach the game like a fighting game, and DOAU probably has the best online implementation of any fighting game out there in addition to being one of the first online 3d fighting games availible. Team Ninja has also done a good job of pioneering new ways of integrating online into single player games (throught the hurricane packs and the master ninja tournament), which is impressive considering how few Japanese developers even try to integrate online features into their games.

Hate all you want, but Itagaki is not the fool some of you portray him to be. Even if DOA4 fails to push the series forward or has bad graphics, Ninja Gaiden and even DOAU prove that Team Ninja is a solid developer. I don't think anyone can really dispute his idea that Japanese game developers are in danger of being eclipsed by western developers in terms of financial success, and he's right that they need to really go all out and try to hold their ground against western developers.

DarienA

Sathsquatch said:
People like to bash Itagaki because of his arrogance and DOA, but Team Ninja has become a damn good video game developer in recent years. Not only have they made some of the best looking games of this generation, but they have been good at pushing game design as well. Ninja Gaiden was probably the first action game with the deep combat system and enemy AI to force players to approach the game like a fighting game, and DOAU probably has the best online implementation of any fighting game out there in addition to being one of the first online 3d fighting games availible. Team Ninja has also done a good job of pioneering new ways of integrating online into single player games (throught the hurricane packs and the master ninja tournament), which is impressive considering how few Japanese developers even try to integrate online features into their games.

How are the above two examples of "pushing" game design? NG is a great looking game that requires you to LEARN the multiple techniques your character has instead of just being able to hack your way through the game. That's fine... but that's not pushing game design.

DoAU is a good online fighter... but again how is that pushing game design?

And hurricane packs? Downloadable levels and harder AI aren't pushing game design.

I don't really have any feelings either way about Team Ninja vs. Namco vs. whomever... I just don't see how Team Ninja is pushing game design anymore than some other developer.

Uh, I explained that in my first post. No other action game requires the same kind fighting game mentality and the virtual arcade is a new way of having online fighting games that replicates the old arcade experience. Not everything needs to be as out of left field as something like Katamari Damacy or Odama to push some area of game design in an important way.

DarienA

Sathsquatch said:
Uh, I explained that in my first post.

Actually no you didn't... then again maybe you just have a different definition of "pushing" game design... cause I sure as hell haven't seen it.

Sathsquatch said:
I don't think anyone can really dispute his idea that Japanese game developers are in danger of being eclipsed by western developers in terms of financial success, and he's right that they need to really go all out and try to hold their ground against western developers.

That wasn't his point in this interview atleast, he's upset that they aren't up to his level in terms of graphics. But what does he really expect? He's not working on the console that most Japanese developers will be supporting.

DarienA said:
Actually no you didn't... then again maybe you just have a different definition of "pushing" game design... cause I sure as hell haven't seen it.
What would you consider "pushing game design then"? Is incorporating fighting game elements into action games and improving enemy AI to the extent that you have to approach it differently than most action games not pushing game design? Is actually bringing 3d fighters online and structuring the online so that it changes the social experience of it not "pushing game design"?

SolidSnakex said:
That wasn't his point in this interview atleast, he's upset that they aren't up to his level in terms of graphics. But what does he really expect? He's not working on the console that most Japanese developers will be supporting.
Oh sorry, I am thinking of another recent interview with Itagaki where he expresses similar disappointment with Japanese developers but also ties it in with the fear that the west will eclipse Japanese developers.

DarienA

Sathsquatch said:
What would you consider "pushing game design then"? Is incorporating fighting game elements into action games and improving enemy AI to the extent that you have to approach it differently than most action games not pushing game design? Is actually bringing 3d fighters online and structuring the online so that it changes the social experience of it not "pushing game design"?

I'm not sure I've ever really bought the incorporating fight game elements bit that folks drop... NG looks like the natural evolution of a game style that DMC brought in to vogue, and since when is improving AI considered pushing game design?

Wait a minute.... changes the social experience are you talking about the "virtual arcade" as it's termed? You know what... I'll give Itagki credit for getting the spectator mode up and running in his title first... but he sure as hell didn't come up with that idea, MS has been trying to work that in to Xbox titles for awhile now... it never happened, but they are moving forward with it X360 titles.

Again.... we seemingly have different ideas on what exactly "pushing" game design is.

None of the above comments are a reflection on how good either game is. That's not what this is about. I simply don't see what he's done that should have us worshipping him so.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
DOA4 looks like its on Xbox 180 he has no room to brag like that, bottom line. I don't care what sort of bump, normal mapping, bloom, dynamic, filters, AA he has going on the end result just isn't tha amazing mainly the character models.

Top Bottom