• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki strikes again

Any1

It's funny, everyone is jumping on Itagaki's ass for just stating the obvious. What's really so wrong about what he said?

To me, it sounded like he was actually saying that his own game doesn't look all that impressive right now, (which gives me alot of hope that DOA4 may end up truly looking next gen when he's through with it). And he was just stating that almoost all of the other Japanes developed X360 games didn't even look as good as his game, which is actually right on the money.

He's stating that he's concerned that the Japanese developers, as far as graphics on the 360 are concerned, are getting their asses kicked by American developers. Whis is absolutely true.

So let me see, in this article, he basically insults himself twice while praising the efforts of his American contemporaries for being superior than his own. Yep, he sure is an arrogant bastard.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Any1 said:
So let me see, in this article, he basically insults himself twice while praising the efforts of his American contemporaries for being superior than his own. Yep, he sure is an arrogant bastard.

They have a word for that. Hypocrite. The good ol "Do as I say not as I do". :lol

olimario

Banned
I think LO looks better.
I like this way more than I like DOA4, visually.

lo1jc.jpg

jimbo

Banned
Actually guys I downloaded the low res trailer for DOA4, since I could never watch the HD version, and I was finally able to see this movie. It's by far one of the most impressive 360 games shown. The environments are unreal, and the way the clothing moves and reacts is superb, especially with the girl with the long dress.

There's still a lot they can do with it, especially the character models, but everything else in this game, is just superb.

This shot doesn't even do this stage justice. It is HUGE. And I'm sorry Lost Odyssey doesn't compare to this. It's missing a lot of the new effects(shadows, reflections, etc) but as far as crispness, design, geometry and color, I've yet to see anything on the 360that comes close.
928260_20050516_screen002.jpg

If you don't think that looks good, you're going to have a hard time explaining to me why you think anything else on the 360 DOES look good.

He's completely right. Don't get your panties in a bunch of folks when someone says the truth. Even getting beyond how early DoA4 was when it was shown. It looks smooth at high resolution. You can't say that about the other Japanese games at E3 for the Xbox 360.

everyone bagging on doa4's looks needs to go download and watch that 450mb hd trailer and then tell me that game doesn't look impressive. does it stack up to gears of war? no. but it still looks amazing, particularly the backgrounds

Soundwave 2k4 said:
everyone bagging on doa4's looks needs to go download and watch that 450mb hd trailer and then tell me that game doesn't look impressive. does it stack up to gears of war? no. but it still looks amazing, particularly the backgrounds

It does look good, but for alot of people its not what they were expecting. Especially for a fighting game, since they typically look better than an action game.

SolidSnakex said:
It does look good, but for alot of people its not what they were expecting. Especially for a fighting game, since they typically look better than an action game.

thats understandable but comparing gears of war with doa4 doesnt really work due to how different their styles are. doa4 could definately look better, not saying it couldnt. but what it looks like now is still next-gen, just going by how amazing the levels look. like i mentioned earlier, in case you haven't yet seen that hd video check it out, it's pretty impressive.

jett

D-Member
jimbo said:
Actually guys I downloaded the low res trailer for DOA4, since I could never watch the HD version, and I was finally able to see this movie. It's by far one of the most impressive 360 games shown. The environments are unreal, and the way the clothing moves and reacts is superb, especially with the girl with the long dress.

There's still a lot they can do with it, especially the character models, but everything else in this game, is just superb.

This shot doesn't even do this stage justice. It is HUGE. And I'm sorry Lost Odyssey doesn't compare to this. It's missing a lot of the new effects(shadows, reflections, etc) but as far as crispness, design, geometry and color, I've yet to see anything on the 360that comes close.
928260_20050516_screen002.jpg

If you don't think that looks good, you're going to have a hard time explaining to me why you think anything else on the 360 DOES look good.

Where did you do get a low res version of the DoA4 trailer?

Mrbob

DarienA, how much of Ninja Gaiden have you played? It doesn't sound like you went that far. The hurricane packs is the best single player download ever made for a console game. New enemies, new techniques, new moves, new weapons, refinement by adding a user controllable camera (The biggest complaint about the game! Itagaki may be stubborn but he listens to fans). It practically makes the game a whole new experience. Much tougher but a new experience. :lol

I wouldn't even call Ninja gaiden a straight out action game, either. Ninja Gaiden is a 20 hour adventure game with action elements included. Some of the puzzle designs are definitely unique (One puzzle starts at about hour four and finishes up towards the end around hour 16). I truly hate the comparisons to DMC3 because they are two different games. DMC3 is more mission based old school kick some ass. DMC3 is an action game with some adventure elements. Ninja Gaiden is an adventure game with a ton of action. Ninja Gaiden takes the ass kicking but offers a much bigger world with multiple enviroments to go through. Ryu does some crazy platforming moves later in the game that even the Prince would be scared to do! Ninja Gaiden is like God of War but 10 times better (I love God of War too I've finished it multiple times but it isn't as good as Gaiden) with a longer quest, better bosses, more places to visit, more moves, better enemy AI. Ninja Gaiden is THE action/adventure game of this generation so far, with God of War in second. I'd compare Ninja Gaiden against the upcoming Zelda Twilight Princess. Not DMC3.

pj

Banned
I think part of the "doa4 looks exactly like doa3/u" talk stems from the fact that we've seen turbo high res blown up screenshots of these games for years, but we all know the games won't actually look like that so we've become desensitized. DOA4 WILL look like it does in screenshots.

Amir0x

Banned
Just wanted to chime in and say that after watching the 450MB DOA4 trailer, it does indeed look much better than the Xbox DOA games. It's still definitely not the leap it should be, imho, as there is noteworthy clipping and the hair is very much last-gen (heh, I hate to comment on something that would probably be considered 'minor', but it is a discussion about visuals), but the level detail is just breathtaking at times and everything has this sort of super clarity that is just a level above the Xbox games.

It DOES look much better, don't judge by images alone in this case.

KingJ2002

^^^exactly... this generation... to truly see how beautiful a game is you will need to watch a trailer than a screenshot. What makes DOA 4 stand out from DOA: U is the attention to detail. Like the market area were all the fruit and environments are fully rendered and animated so well. I said before that the fruit stand looked interesting when the DOA 4 screens were leaked... and seeing all that fruit fly, with the chickens and what not in the background moving around... it looked amazing. The level of detail definitely went up and with all the new interactivity with the enviroments that itagaki mentions... DOA 4 will turn out to be a amazing looking game. I dont think it will be on the level of GOW because of the art direction team ninja takes... but it will be a great looking title.

as for itagaki's comments... i disagree.

square enix showing... definitely

but ninety nine nights...

ninety-nine-nights-e3-20050512074743999.jpg

^^ and this screen definitely dont do it justice because in motion... my jaw dropped (i kind of think it's CG).

Rhindle

Going by what was shown on the floor at E3, he has every right to make those comments about Japanese developers. The only Japanese next-gen games that showed an appreciable amount of real-time footage were Frame City Killers, Dead Rising and Fifth Phantom. None of which was exactly impressive.

Solid

Shompola said:
He has made the best action game ever. He has all rights to be arrogant.
*makes a fast visit at gamerankings*

i see 19 better action-adventure games (including prince of persia!!!) :D

yes lame post

Any1

pj325is said:
I think part of the "doa4 looks exactly like doa3/u" talk stems from the fact that we've seen turbo high res blown up screenshots of these games for years, but we all know the games won't actually look like that so we've become desensitized. DOA4 WILL look like it does in screenshots.

Actually, i think you hit the nail right on the head. While the new game does look good, i could never really put my finger on why it just didn't look next gen to me. Having never really played the game before, all my views of games like DOA3 and DOA:U have been through screenshots and the like which have been blown up in high res and aliased and stuff. And they look basically just like the screenshots and videos of DOA4.

Regardless, even though i realize that DOA4 really is an awesome looking game, it just doesn't stand up well when put next to games like Gears of War. And considering that DOA pushed the very limits of what the Xbox could do, i guess i was expecting the 360's DOA to floor me like its predecessors had.

But hopefully,like Itagaki is hinting in this article, DOA4 will improve greatly before it is released. After all, i would put Team Ninja right up there with Rare (in the past at least) as far as being one of the most graphically talented developers out there. So if anyone can do it, it would be them.

Master Z

Why is Itagaki talking shit about about Japanese X360 games that are nowhere near done? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't DOA4 the only Japanese game coming out for launch? Of course the other Japanese games aren't gonna look as good right now, they're not even close to being finished. If the finished product from these Japanese developers look signifigantly worse than the western developed games then he has a point, until then Itagaki needs to STFU. He's usually funny but these comments are just annoying, its like he's riding the western developer's dicks.

SolidSnakex said:
If Japanese developers start beating him on the same platform he works on he starts bashing them nonstop, just look at how he treats NAMCO now.

Nah, he'll just run away to another console, like the Rev where his games don't have competition and the cycle begins anew.

Zer0

Banned
Blaster1X said:
Itagaki is only speaking what others are afraid to say
buttrock.gif

yeah.a lot of ppl will think that doa 2 doa 3 and doa 4 are the same game with better gfx,a lot of innovation ,sure

Monk

Banned
I thought to myself when seeing those DOA screen shots, what's wrong with it? After a long while I realised it is the at the textures aren't as high res as they should be. I have seen better texture work on the PC!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
His actual comment aside (he was obviously talking about Japanese developers), what are the western developed Xbox 360 games that you guys think look better than DOA4?

After seeing/playing bunch of them at E3, and seeing videos, I can think of only two - Alan Wake and Gears of War, both of which are not scheduled for launch, and both were basically demonstrated on a PC. Also, you could almost bet your newborn that either will be happy to run at unsteady 30FPS, while DOA4 will almost certainly be locked at 60FPS.

Redbeard

Banned
Monk said:
I thought to myself when seeing those DOA screen shots, what's wrong with it? After a long while I realised it is the at the textures aren't as high res as they should be. I have seen better texture work on the PC!

Needs some real lighting and shadowing.

m0dus said:
I'd suggest you turn off the gamecube, go to your friend's house, turn ON his xbox, and pop in one of those games just so you can understand how stupid that statement sounds. Yeah, DOA4 doesn't look to be a leap ahead of DOA:U and 3, but claiming it somehow looks exactly like those? Motherfucker, please :lol

haha..and while youre at it tell him to take his copy of Super Smash Brothers with him to show his a friend a game worth playing. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Redbeard said:
Needs some real lighting and shadowing.

Pretty much.

The stages look great and all, but the main problem with the DoA4 shots are that the character models don't look much better than DoAU models. The arms, the faces, the legs are still too smooth and lacking detail. For a fighting game that's only rendering 2-4 people on screen, I expect all the models to be up there with UT2007 level of detail in the faces/bodies, or say the Final Fantasy movie level of detail.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it looks like doa:u with really heavy depth-of-field blur. now...am i the only one who finds dof effects completely undesirable in gameplay? they're fine when used in cutscenes to simulate the effect of a physical camera. but why would you want see gameplay as if through a camera? in-game depth of field seems as misguided to me as lens flare. i like the hyperreal effect of perfect clarity all the way to the horizon.

edit: i should clarify: i don't remember whether doa4 uses those depth of field effects in-game. but i'll object if it does.

I dunno. I draw the line at visual effect having a negative impact on my ability to, 1: See what's going on on the screen (Jinpachi in Tekken 5), 2. Poorly used dof effects (The Bouncer).

I don't know much of the science behind it, but if it's possible; I'd rather see dof used in the place of N64 Fog™ to obscure objects in the distance. Like I said, I don't know if this would require more processing power than is available.

As for DOA4, I don't think it's really required. What's the point in putting in these gorgeous backgrounds if you're going to blur the shit out of it?

As for the characters - Team Ninja is all about Real Dolls. Don't expect them to change the appearance of the characters any time soon. Itagaki loves the plastic white people! :lol

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
The Take Out Bandit said:
As for the characters - Team Ninja is all about Real Dolls. Don't expect them to change the appearance of the characters any time soon. Itagaki loves the plastic white people! :lol

You know, if people could just realise this it would make DOA discussions less annoying. Its about as retarded as people hating on ID when they use the Doom art style, you know .... they created it :lol

Speevy

Banned
He's an ass, but if he can make another Ninja Gaiden-caliber action title, he's also right about his contemporaries.

haha,

Virtua Fighter owns Dead or Alive
DMC3 owns Ninja Gaiden

poor Itagaki, shit talking is all that he can do now. :lol :lol

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
C- Warrior said:
haha,

Virtua Fighter owns Dead or Alive
DMC3 owns Ninja Gaiden

poor Itagaki, shit talking is all that he can do now. :lol :lol

I thought you were a Ninja Gaiden fan?