• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki strikes again

Shompola said:
He has made the best action game ever. He has all rights to be arrogant.

Like others in this thread, I beg to ask...

since when did Itagaki make Devil May Cry 3?

at least ninja gaiden is better than god of war though *cues in mr. bob) :lol :lol

Speevy

Banned
Apples to oranges for NG vs. DMC3.

If you're a fan, you'll feel that way no matter what.

Ninja Gaiden certainly looks better, but that's all I can say since I haven't played Devil May Cry 3.

I'm a big fan of Ninja Gaiden, I love it.

But DMC3 is better.

More moves
Harder
Longer
More combat
More bosses
an actual story
1 hour of shimomura directed cutscenes
MANUAL combat system, none of that YXXY XYXY XYXY XYXXY dead or alive bullshit that NG does

having said that, i'll be the first to get ninja gaiden 2, but dmc3 fuckin whipped its ass. Some of you need to get off of the reviewers nut sack who bitched and moaned saying dmc3 is "too hard" blah blah, it's balanced. It's the few games out there thats actually balanced. I'm sick of playing games where my character is strong as hell, and the enemies and bosses are mindless morons, what the fuck is a point of a combat sytem if you don't even NEED it. dmc3, the enemies are hard, ruthless, a few mistakes and you're done. but you also have to realize that dante is a beast himself. 6 gameplay styles, 90+special moves, manual combat system, 4 instant weapon switching. dante is a fuckin war machine, and when you realize that and stop button mashing ala god of war style, you'll have no trouble with dmc3. also, remember the mindset of a reviewer is different than of a person who buys a 50 dollar game. one person sees difficulty as an obstacle to put out the review before deadline, the other sees it as a reason to get better...

ps: Im not a big fan of DMC1 though, which is another reason I loved NG so damn much, but DMC3 just has it beat, in my opinion sure, but, i just liked dmc3 more...

..okay

i mean, you really need to play both games before i can really attest to what you're saying though...and I assure, if you aren't a moron when you play video games, you shouldnt die too much in dmc3, and having said that you'll have a lot of fun with that game as well...having the deepest and most varied combat system around you know...sorta does that to a game.... :D

Speevy

Banned
You don't have to attest to what I'm saying. I think it's fun. You think it's fun. And once I have a PS2, I'll be sure to play Devil May Cry 3 and compare the two.

Sounds like you got a plan other action fans can agree with. Although again, I stress don't play the game running and gunning, or you'll end up like some of the reviewers bitching about the game's difficulty and how it's "impossibly hard"

As in all Capcom games (mostly in RE4) if you can't beat something, you're obviously doing something wrong. That applies in DMC3, but mostly in a sense of mentality. DMC3 is more mental than "having super fast Shinobi like reflexes." Watch a veteran who can do a no-hit runthrough on DMC3 dante must die mode compared to a n00bk, the vet is barely pressing any buttons, pure strategy :D

swordsman

Banned
You bunch of whores whose dare to critic the footage of DOA 4..
Did you you know that the footage was not in HD and the game is just 10 to 15 %done (Itagaki has mentioned somewhere in his interview).

The final game will you smash hard in your faces!! Just wait and see.
Itagaki is a cool guy whose dare to give the critics and not like the others ...just run behind Sony as Ass kissers!!

I piss over the PS3 and it's brand.

olimario

Banned
swordsman said:
Did you you know that the footage was not in HD and the game is just 10 to 15 %done (Itagaki has mentioned somewhere in his interview).

Itagaki is a cool guy whose dare to give the critics and not like the others ...just run behind Sony as Ass kissers!!

angryxbox7ss.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
swordsman said:

Requesting, not-so-funny_joke-character deletion.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Itagaki has some respect for VF because he realizes it started 3D fighting and on top of that Yu Suzuki and his team were very supportive in the development of the first two DOAs. As far as Tekken goes, even though it's a great game, development wise there's just very little worth respecting about that series, so it's an easier target for Itagaki but he also said bad things VF, but he also said VF4 shits all over T4 in the same interview, which is true.

sly

Banned
C- Warrior said:
I'm a big fan of Ninja Gaiden, I love it.

But DMC3 is better.

More moves
Harder
Longer
More combat
More bosses
an actual story
1 hour of shimomura directed cutscenes
MANUAL combat system, none of that YXXY XYXY XYXY XYXXY dead or alive bullshit that NG does

having said that, i'll be the first to get ninja gaiden 2, but dmc3 fuckin whipped its ass. Some of you need to get off of the reviewers nut sack who bitched and moaned saying dmc3 is "too hard" blah blah, it's balanced. It's the few games out there thats actually balanced. I'm sick of playing games where my character is strong as hell, and the enemies and bosses are mindless morons, what the fuck is a point of a combat sytem if you don't even NEED it. dmc3, the enemies are hard, ruthless, a few mistakes and you're done. but you also have to realize that dante is a beast himself. 6 gameplay styles, 90+special moves, manual combat system, 4 instant weapon switching. dante is a fuckin war machine, and when you realize that and stop button mashing ala god of war style, you'll have no trouble with dmc3. also, remember the mindset of a reviewer is different than of a person who buys a 50 dollar game. one person sees difficulty as an obstacle to put out the review before deadline, the other sees it as a reason to get better...

ps: Im not a big fan of DMC1 though, which is another reason I loved NG so damn much, but DMC3 just has it beat, in my opinion sure, but, i just liked dmc3 more...

I <3 C- Warrior! We both know that Ninja Gaiden was neva da best!!!! :D

bloke

You DMC fanboys are some trully frustrated silly fucks, this was topic about Itagaki bashing his japanese colleagues for not showing off enough Xbox360 graphical goodness on E3 and yet you come again with that NG vs DMC3 bollocks. For fucks sake. Not to mention regular DOA bashers. The most annoying bunch ever. :lol

Back on topic, DOA4 will be shown again in TGS2005 in Sept. probably running on final hardware, if the graphics is not significantly improved by then well then either TN have problems programming on the new machine, or 360 is just not as powerful as ppl say. Let's just wait and see. For now at least DOF is pretty impressive in those alphakit shots.

bloke said:
You DMC fanboys are some trully frustrated silly fucks, this was topic about Itagaki bashing his japanese colleagues for not showing off enough Xbox360 graphical goodness on E3 and yet you come again with that NG vs DMC3 bollocks.

Its just really not a fair comparison for him to make since the 360 isn't getting stuff from the real top Japanese developers. TGS should be really interesting this year though, especially with the PS3 really being shown off. Tekken 6 should be shown there too which will be fun. :p

Amir0x

Banned
bloke said:
Not to mention regular DOA bashers. The most annoying bunch ever. :lol

To be fair, DOA is a completely shit fighting series that pales in comparrison to most of its competition.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
To be fair, DOA is a completely shit fighting series that pales in comparrison to most of its competition.

The only fighter that's better than DoA is VF4. I don't see how that's "most" of the competition. Tekken is and always will be shit.

Zaptruder

Banned
duckroll said:
The only fighter that's better than DoA is VF4. I don't see how that's "most" of the competition. Tekken is and always will be shit.

ignoring your opinion is law attitude, the general consensus among fighting fan seems to be that

VF4 EVo > SC2 > VF4 > Tekken 5 > TTT > DOA3 > T4

I haven't garnered enough opinions on DOA:U.

But I personally enjoy SC2 the most, though have no comments on VF4 evo... although I think it's a pretty sure wager that I'll end up liking SC3 best this gen when all is said and done.

Zaptruder

Banned
duckroll said:
How is my comment any worse than the one I was replying to? :p

It's about 15 times worse, because Soul Calibur 2 is a game heads and shoulders above DOA.

It has the frenetic button mash friendliness of DOA, belieing a relatively deep and complex fighting system, including great characters, great visuals, and is defined by its weapon based combat.

Your comment precludes the relative fact that SC is indeed the better fighting series than DOA, while his stops short of calling DOA the worst.

You'd be hard pressed to find many fighting game fans that consider DOA3 to be a better game than SC2, making it a 'relative fact' (of opinion).

Zaptruder

Banned
thorns said:
Both NG and DMC 3 are great. It's just silly to compare them to each other.

I think the point is, tomonobu is a cockface and hypocrite for berating his japanese counterparts, while the games that he make himself aren't necessarily the best of genre. Ninja Gaiden is pretty up there, but the genre doesn't have a huge deal of competition; and Capcom makes stellar games and thus competition for the genre. Even worse when his fighting game, his pride and joy is on the bottom end of the big name 3D fighting games.

HokieJoe

123rl said:
Best looking, possibly. But they play like crap compared to other games. All this guy cares about is graphics and so do most of his supporters. That's why people have such a problem with this guy

It may sound like that from his comments, but Ninja Gaiden was anything but paltry in the game play department. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

It's amazing how in these forums the best playing, best looking games end up being labeled as "paltry" or sub par.

Itigaki is on the cutting egde of gameplay and graphics. Does he have the best fighter ever made, imo, no. Is it in the top three? Certainly. Any suggestion that Ninja Gaiden could be considered anything other then a AAA title is the calling card of the ignorant.

I think the point is, tomonobu is a cockface and hypocrite for berating his japanese counterparts, while the games that he make himself aren't necessarily the best of genre. Ninja Gaiden is pretty up there, but the genre doesn't have a huge deal of competition; and Capcom makes stellar games and thus competition for the genre. Even worse when his fighting game, his pride and joy is on the bottom end of the big name 3D fighting games.

I :lol @ U

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Pseudo judo said:
Itigaki is on the cutting egde of gameplay and graphics. Does he have the best fighter ever made, imo, no. Is it in the top three? Certainly. Any suggestion that Ninja Gaiden could be considered anything other then a AAA title is the calling card of the ignorant.

That's not saying alot... fighter-wise we've only got what:

VF
Tekken
Soul Calibur
DOA
MK

Zaptruder

Banned
Pseudo judo said:
It's amazing how in these forums the best playing, best looking games end up being labeled as "paltry" or sub par.

I :lol @ U

Upthere, right next to DMC3. Both great games, that I personally enjoyed. From a technical graphics standpoint, NG has DMC3 soundly beat. There's so much aliasing going on in DMC3 it's not funny... but from a gameplay POV, it falls a bit short of DMC3; but is impressive in its own right. If you like the genre, you'd do well to find a way to play through both games.

And on the bottom end of big name 3D fighters, VF, SC >>>> DOA/Tekken...

DOA isn't a best playing game by a long shot.

As for the original comments, considering that most people can see that Myst Walker is better looking at this stage then DOA4, he doesn't have any leg to stand on.

So take your pissy substanceless :lol and jam it up your ass.

DarienA said:
That's not saying alot... fighter-wise we've only got what:

VF
Tekken
Soul Calibur
DOA
MK

That's basically how the list should rank too (although some would swap SC and Tekken). Throw in 2D fighters and DoA and MK are off.

DSN2K

beside the visuals DOA series is just shallow in every way compared to the likes of Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtual Fighter.

Zaptruder

Banned
DSN2K said:
beside the visuals DOA series is just shallow in every way compared to the likes of Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtual Fighter.

And considering that the visuals on those games are pretty damn sharp in their own right, DOA is called out for the steaming pile of fanservicing trash that it is.

He has done 2 really good things for 3D fighters though, the huge stages and online play are steps forward for the genre. But at some point you need stop adding and start tweaking the gameplay. That's basically what AM2 and NAMCO did with T5 and VF4. They might've removed the uneven terrain but they refined the existing gameplay models alot in both games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy shit @ C- Warrior... That guys used to write essays why the Ninja Gaiden was best action game evar - his name on this forum actually was "Ninja Gaiden is da Best" before mods changed it to a mocking version of it.
I think his username has to be re-evaluated again :lol

sly

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Upthere, right next to DMC3. Both great games, that I personally enjoyed. From a technical graphics standpoint, NG has DMC3 soundly beat. There's so much aliasing going on in DMC3 it's not funny... but from a gameplay POV, it falls a bit short of DMC3; but is impressive in its own right. If you like the genre, you'd do well to find a way to play through both games.

And on the bottom end of big name 3D fighters, VF, SC >>>> DOA/Tekken...

DOA isn't a best playing game by a long shot.

As for the original comments, considering that most people can see that Myst Walker is better looking at this stage then DOA4, he doesn't have any leg to stand on.

So take your pissy substanceless :lol and jam it up your ass.

Did you just put DOA and Tekken on the same side???

[Tyra voice] I was rooting for you, we were all rooting for you! How dare you! Learn something from this![/Tyra voice] :p :lol

VF, Tekken, SC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DOA

Marconelly said:
Holy shit @ C- Warrior... That guys used to write essays why the Ninja Gaiden was best action game evar - his name on this forum actually was "Ninja Gaiden is da Best" before mods changed it to a mocking version of it.
I think his username has to be re-evaluated again :lol

I know! :lol I made him see the light. Now he knows Ninja Gaiden was neva da best!

Zaptruder

Banned
online play is just logical. Or at least it damned well should be...

there's not much point in making a deep game if 90% of the people playing can't get competition that can exploit that level of depth.

Sly: Tekken 5, might be on the left side, but Tekken 4 is on the right side. So law of averages and all.

sly

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Sly: Tekken 5, might be on the left side, but Tekken 4 is on the right side. So law of averages and all.

I can live with that. :D Tekken 4 sucked. Be that as it may, the Tekken games still have more depth than any DOA title.

duckroll

Zaptruder said:
It's about 15 times worse, because Soul Calibur 2 is a game heads and shoulders above DOA.

Zaptruder said:
ignoring your opinion is law attitude, the general consensus among fighting fan seems to be that

Pot....Kettle....... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

(I guess this would be 3 wrongs don't make a right? :D)

Zer0

Banned
duckroll said:

in your alternate universe.yes

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
duckroll said:

Everything else in this thread (re: fighting games) from you will now be ignored...

SolidSnakex said:
That's basically how the list should rank too (although some would swap SC and Tekken). Throw in 2D fighters and DoA and MK are off.

Yup that's why I put it that particular way. ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
duckroll said:
Pot....Kettle....... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

(I guess this would be 3 wrongs don't make a right? :D)

The difference between my opinion and your opinion is consensus.

Otherwise I'm clearly aware of the irony of such a statement, but behind opinion lies a certain amount of objective truth, and when it comes down to it, that objective truth is only really decided via clear reasoning and consensus (between individuals that have thought about the subject matter with some deal of significance).

Pachinko

I don't know why any team ninja fans even bother coming out of the woodworks to defend our favorite games. I'm one myself but I think I've realized its a lost cost , none of the folks that enjoy bashing them seem willing to grow half a brain and realize what the games are and aren't. Instead they simply say becuase it doesnt have VF4' movelist and tekkens shittiness that its a much worse game. Bringing soul calibur up is even worse, that game simply isn't fun to play and it never has been, sure its simple to pick up almost too much so. It's one of those games were a master player can still lose against someone who mashes 1 button and as far as I'm concerned that's not a good sign, in DOA if you mash one button repetadly you'll get countered and lose.

As for the Ninja Gaiden VS every other action game arguement- Ninja gaiden is an enjoyable and fantastic looking game that has perfect difficulty balance and a fun combat system that is mostly based on sticking and moving - you block , dodge and strike.

Devil may cry 3 is a button mashing masochists fantasy come to life, the faster you can smash the triangle and X buttons the better you'll do , if you can't button mash and try to play the game like Ninja gaiden you'll die , lots. Dieing is a stupidly unforgiving process in devil may cry 3 as well, whatever difficulty you play on you'll get stuck redoing entire levels over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Proud you got an S ranking on that group of 10 enemies in room X ? well too bad becuase you died in room Y and now your wrist is sore from button mashing and you have to do the whole fucking thing AGAIN. It's just not a fair game , it looks pretty, the combat has simple has it is can be enjoyable when you aren't getting the shit beaten out of you and I like the soundtrack but its just too damn hard. Some folks in this forum suggested that you farm red orbs by saving after clearing a room of enemies, I shouldn't have to do that to get somewhere in the game, everyone bitches about Ninja Gaiden being too hard and the only time I "farmed " in that game was by choice not by neccesity. Hopefully with the 4th game capcom can finally get that difficulty issue down pat, the first game was pretty good on normal, the second game was WAYY too easy and the 3rd game was too hard even on easy. 4th times the charm guys, come on.

For the record, I beat Ninja gaiden about a month after it came out , devil may cry sits forever on stage 7. The room with the 3 trials.

Sumasshu

Pachinko said:
I don't know why any team ninja fans even bother coming out of the woodworks to defend our favorite games. I'm one myself but I think I've realized its a lost cost , none of the folks that enjoy bashing them seem willing to grow half a brain and realize what the games are and aren't. Instead they simply say becuase it doesnt have VF4' movelist and tekkens shittiness that its a much worse game. Bringing soul calibur up is even worse, that game simply isn't fun to play and it never has been, sure its simple to pick up almost too much so. It's one of those games were a master player can still lose against someone who mashes 1 button and as far as I'm concerned that's not a good sign, in DOA if you mash one button repetadly you'll get countered and lose.

As for the Ninja Gaiden VS every other action game arguement- Ninja gaiden is an enjoyable and fantastic looking game that has perfect difficulty balance and a fun combat system that is mostly based on sticking and moving - you block , dodge and strike.

Devil may cry 3 is a button mashing masochists fantasy come to life, the faster you can smash the triangle and X buttons the better you'll do , if you can't button mash and try to play the game like Ninja gaiden you'll die , lots. Dieing is a stupidly unforgiving process in devil may cry 3 as well, whatever difficulty you play on you'll get stuck redoing entire levels over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Proud you got an S ranking on that group of 10 enemies in room X ? well too bad becuase you died in room Y and now your wrist is sore from button mashing and you have to do the whole fucking thing AGAIN. It's just not a fair game , it looks pretty, the combat has simple has it is can be enjoyable when you aren't getting the shit beaten out of you and I like the soundtrack but its just too damn hard. Some folks in this forum suggested that you farm red orbs by saving after clearing a room of enemies, I shouldn't have to do that to get somewhere in the game, everyone bitches about Ninja Gaiden being too hard and the only time I "farmed " in that game was by choice not by neccesity. Hopefully with the 4th game capcom can finally get that difficulty issue down pat, the first game was pretty good on normal, the second game was WAYY too easy and the 3rd game was too hard even on easy. 4th times the charm guys, come on.

For the record, I beat Ninja gaiden about a month after it came out , devil may cry sits forever on stage 7. The room with the 3 trials.
Hey, I didn't know Itagaki had an account here! Cool.

Pachinko said:
... Instead they simply say becuase it doesnt have VF4' movelist and tekkens shittiness that its a much worse game...

IAWTP

most of the bashers fail to see what audience the game was designed for. I know of casual players that really like DOA's graphics and simplicity. It makes it relatively easy for pickup and play. I believe as far as sales goes the DOA games sold quite a bit on Xbox, US and Japan. Its geared towards mass appeal you won't see VF style movelist or crazy 1 frame moves.

I wouldn't really hold it against itagaki that he holds a grudge against Namco, an insult is an insult.

Pachinko said:

Wow. That may be the single most ignorant bash of a game I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Devil May Cry is actually a fair bit easier than Ninja Gaiden once you take the time to figure out what the fuck you're doing, which you clearly didn't. So you got killed over and over and found it frustrating? Ever wonder why...maybe it had to do with all that button mashing. The combat is not simple...it seems simple at first because there aren't as many moves as NG, but there is a reason for that. You can link things together with different weapons. Noticed that? That's right you can build your own combos. It's integral to playing the game. I can quite easily take on any normal bad guy on normal difficulty and smoke them without being touched almost every time. It's really not hard. The bosses are harder, but on normal I NEVER...EVER have to use more than one healing item. Many of them I can beat without being touched. Why is it so easy for me? Because I know how to play the damn game. It's clear by what you posted you have no idea how to choose weapons strategically, decide which weapons to use with which others, and use weapons to their strengths. Much less actually create "on the fly" combos which is where the beauty of the game shines through. The lack of a block button means you need to learn how to MOVE, not just keep hitting buttons and hope you hit them before they hit you.

The game is not hard, it's challenging. Once you know what you're doing, it's actually pretty easy. And the game is more fair than even Ninja Gaiden. I can't think of a single hit I took through the entire game that was anything but my fault.

IAWTP

most of the bashers fail to see what audience the game was designed for. I know of casual players that really like DOA's graphics and simplicity. It makes it relatively easy for pickup and play. I believe as far as sales goes the DOA games sold quite a bit on Xbox, US and Japan. Its geared towards mass appeal you won't see VF style movelist or crazy 1 frame moves.

Let me start by saying I very much enjoy DoA, and have bought all the fighting games since the dreamcast one.

But there are many aspects to the game that are just flawed. The 3d movement is useless for evasion and command throws cannot be broken, to be specific. There's really no reason for either of these. It would not make the game any less accessible, but it would make it a lot more rewarding in terms of defensive strategy and mind games. I agree that the game is designed to be accessible. But there are some problems with it that really DO need to be adressed, and still have not.

Master Z

Pachinko said:
Devil may cry 3 is a button mashing masochists fantasy come to life, the faster you can smash the triangle and X buttons the better you'll do

The hell? DMC3 has a crazy amount of combo moves to learn. Take the time to learn a few and you'll make it past stage 7...

Zaptruder

Banned
You say that, but Soul Calibur 2 also caters to the casual crowd, without compromising the hardcore elements.

It's just a deep game that's easily accessible and it gets deeper.

Tekken also caters to the casual crowd to an extent, so again, DOA loses out heavily when you compare it to what it doesn't have.

Pachinko

You guys make all this fancy talk of linking combos and shit but still fail to remember that it amounts to rapidly mashing triangle and X , fine you can throw in a weapon switch here and there. I was capable while playing of getting A's and S's during fights with enemies when I still had the difficulty on normal but it'd wear out my wrists in about 10 minutes so when I got the next enemies I simply couldn't keep up. I will admit killing that first enemy with an A and mantaining an S throughout the remainder of a fight is where this games entertainment lies I 'm just no longer physically capable of keeping up with it. Even the first game come to think of it had this problem I could never play more then 1 stage every 2 days or so becuase I'd get awful carpal tunnel and thumb pain. Sure it's my own perogitive to want to mash X to fire my guns instead of holding it down and that's the leading cuase but still...

I'm still in shock and awe that people think DMC3 is a better game than Ninja Gaiden :lol .

I'll admit that DoA isn't nearly as good as VF4 if you're really into fighters. But I don't really see how Tekken or SC are so much better.

Top Bottom