• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between building a new gaming PC or a PS4.

TheD

The Detective
Yeah because GTX780 has something that Nvidia calls "Hyper-Q". It increases GPGPU efficiency greatly.

AMD has the same tech. A HD7970 doesn't use it, but PS4 and AMD's upcoming GPUs will use it. It's the asynchronous fine-grain compute stuff Mark Cerny talked about. By the way: A Geforce Titan has 32 compute queues for Hyper-Q, PS4 will have 64.

Uhh, if you looked at some compute benchmarks you would see that it is the GTX 780 that loses to the HD7970 a lot in compute loads, not the other way around!

Sentenza

Just asking the PC people here again though: How well do you think a GTX760 will hold up over the next couple years?
Can't say for certain but i would consider a safe bet saying that if you are eventually willing to compromise a bit on settings you should be able to go through the next two years just fine.
At the moment you can even count yourself essentially in the high-end range.

If you have the money, the correct answer is always PC. Always.

The PS4 is an affordable alternative to a PC, but won't have the flexibility and openness of a proper PC.

TheD

The Detective
GTX780 dominates DirectCompute. HD7970 only wins OpenCL GPGPU benchmarks.

The difference between GTX680 and GTX780 is in some cases an increase of GPGPU performance by 100%.

Speak for yourself.

Can you link to said DirectCompute benchmarks?

Again: That's bullshit and only true if you value graphics above everything else.

No. Your response is bullshit.

See how easy it is to play this game?

Grow up and define what "everything else" is on a PS4 that trumps a PC. Because I can't think of anything that can compare to Steam, the upgrade route, freedom provided by an operating system that can run games better than the PS4 AND do a million other things, etc.

Of course you won't answer that.

TheD

The Detective
If you've got the cash I would almost always go PC.

The sheer volume of games available and general versatility makes it a much better investment in my opinion. Also PC gaming seems to be getting a lot better support these days.

That being said, if there are enough exclusives for the PS4 if you want to play on release, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

pixlexic

Banned
Minesweeper
Excel
After Effects
Winamp
Solitare
Master of Magic
AOL

Should I stop there? Or is that too hardcores?

Seriously .. I have Starcraft and civilization .. But can't think of any PC exclusives beyond those that are high quality. Hell most indie games are on consoles.

Brokun

What exclusives?

Star Citizen.
Civilization V
Almost every RTS and MMO ever until the end of time

Uh... that's all I could think of without going retro. (there are a LOT of retro exclusives still worth playing)

Granted the PC these days doesn't get a lot of exclusives, but it's the best place to play any multiplatform game, especially from Valve, Bioware, Bethesda, Crytek and CD Projekt Red.

Seriously .. I have Starcraft and civilization .. But can't think of any PC exclusives beyond those that are high quality. Hell most indie games are on consoles.

Put some elbow grease into it and I'm sure you can come up with a ton more.

Hint: One of the best PC-exclusive franchises releases next week. There's a starting point.

StarCraft and Civilization are the only 2 quality PC exclusives that you are aware of? I couldn't possibly imagine why you bought that gaming PC. No wonder you said the PC was for people who just want to play COD and AC. Good grief.

ShadyJ

That's not true at all.

Every platform has it pros and cons. Please stop disguising your personal beliefs as universally valid facts. I'm a multiplatform gamer myself, I own a very decent PC and I can only shake my head at your stupid post. PC gaming is nice and everything, but many PCgaffers here just deceive themselves.

Please stop disguising your beliefs as universally validated facts.

Look at the multi plat console/pc games this generation and you will sing a different tune.

FarCry 3 was a slideshow when i played it on PS3...

There is no way any sane human could wait 2 years to get their hands on those majestic Killzone Shadowfall visuals feasts.
the game has good art and tech. Why are you trolling it? I notice you troll pretty much all Sony games every now and then. I think I have asked you this before, but did someone at Sony harm you? Why so angry?

pixlexic

Banned
StarCraft and Civilization are the only 2 quality PC exclusives that you are aware of? I couldn't possibly imagine why you bought that gaming PC.

umm there is a lot of quality games that are not exclusive to PC . And I want to play those games in their best possible form.

I am just tired of seeing some people exaggerate the PC as much as they do here.
There are pros and cons to everything.

Sentenza

I am just tired of seeing some people exaggerate the PC as much as they do here.
What are you talking about? What your astonishingly close-minded and narrow tastes in games have to do with "pros and cons", exactly?

SparkTR

I'd wait a year for the PS4 library to build up a bit and for any tech issues to be sorted out. On PC you already have a massive backlog to occupy your time with, and you can take part in the cRPG/space-sim resurgence and play tons of awesome strategy games. Plus Oculus Rift. It'll be like a breathe of fresh air if you've never been much of a PC gamer, at least it was for me.

umm there is a lot of quality games that are not exclusive to PC . And I want to play those games in their best possible form.

You bought it for console ports and then apparently ignored everything beyond that.

pixlexic

Banned
What are you talking about? What your astonishingly close-minded and narrow tastes in games have to do with "pros and cons", exactly?

Why are you downing my taste in games?

You don't have to get angry.. Just list 10 or so "great PC exclusive" we already have 3.

ill throw in chivalry even though that's more of a niche game. I like it.

You don't have to get angry.. Just list 10 or so "great PC exclusive" we already have 3.

I'm going to list 10, not because it should be necessary but because I want to see how you dismiss each of them, one by one, as not fitting your requirements:

Total War
Guild Wars 2
Dota 2
LoL
Europa Universalis
Arma
iRacing
Kerbal Space Program
Company of Heros
Crusader Kings
Mount & Blade
Dawn of War

Actually that was 12 but there are many more.

SparkTR

Some recent or upcoming ones are:

Rome II,
Europa Universalis IV,
ArmA III,
Project Eternity,
Wasteland 2,
Might & Magic X,
Age of Wonders III,
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs,
Endless Space,
Endless Legend,
Book of Unwritten Tales,
Legend of Grimrock,
Star Citizen,
X: Rebirth,
Divinity: Dragon Commander,
Divinity: Original Sin,
Natural Selection 2,
Assetto Corsa,
Tormant: Tides of Numanera,
Company of Heroes 2,
Path of Exile,
Dota 2,
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Wargame: Airland Battle.

There's a whole host of exclusives and experiences on PC that don't (or can't) exist anywhere else. That's not to say the same can't be said about consoles, but I notice that's what console focused gamers always fall back on when talking about PC gaming when it's just their half-knowledge of the platform that's at fault. As an RPG and strategy fan there's no other line-up on any platform that I'd rather take.

Arulan

Here is a quick list of a few PC exclusives since apparently they're so illusive.

- Civilization V
- Rome II: Total War
- Arma III
- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (Expansion just announced)
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Kerbal Space Program
- Legend of Grimrock (Sequel announced)
- DayZ Standalone
- Mount & Blade: Warband (Still one of the finest examples of melee and mounted combat)
- Natural Selection 2
- World of Warcraft
- Guild Wars 2
- EVE Online
- Path of Exile (Arguably one of the best ARPGs of recent times)
- Amensia: A Machine for Pigs (Don't forget Amnesia: The Dark Descent)
- Outlast
- Routine (As with the other two games above, remember what horror games were really about?)
- To the Moon
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise
- Dota 2
- League of Legends
- StarCraft II
- Star Citizen
- Wasteland 2
- Project Eternity
- Torment: Tides of Numenera
- The Witcher (The original game)
- Europa Universalis IV
- Gone Home
- Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
- Red Orchestra 2

I'm sure others could add quite a lot more to this list.

Zemm

the game has good art and tech. Why are you trolling it? I notice you troll pretty much all Sony games every now and then. I think I have asked you this before, but did someone at Sony harm you? Why so angry?

Pretty sure he's trolling the batshit mental Sony fanbase on here rather than the games.

pixlexic

Banned
Here is a quick list of a few PC exclusives since apparently they're so illusive.

- Civilization V
- Rome II: Total War
- Arma III
- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (Expansion just announced)
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Kerbal Space Program
- Legend of Grimrock (Sequel announced)
- DayZ Standalone
- Mount & Blade: Warhand (Still one of the finest examples of melee and mounted combat)
- Natural Selection 2
- World of Warcraft
- Guild Wars 2
- EVE Online
- Path of Exile (Arguably one of the best ARPGs of recent times)
- Amensia: A Machine for Pigs (Don't forget Amnesia: The Dark Descent)
- Outlast
- Routine (As with the other two games above, remember what horror games were really about?)
- To the Moon
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise
- Dota 2
- League of Legends
- StarCraft II
- Star Citizen
- Wasteland 2
- Project Eternity
- Europa Universalis IV
- Gone Home
- Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
- Red Orchestra 2

I'm sure others could add quite a lot more to this list.

thank you. Now people can actually weigh if these are the types of games they like compared to what you would get on a console.

Alot of those are not for me but I will easily Call most of them quality.

Unless you still believe that PC gaming is about graphics, and you are a rpg fan, the best two exclusives that come to mind are Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

But I would like it better if they released in as many platforms as possible (which I hold for every game ever made).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For a game that has had multiple threads evangelizing the visuals and a follow up to a game whose art I rather enjoyed, I find it shockingly ugly on an artistic level.
Fair enough. I thought it was a lovely looking game myself and the game itself looks to be pretty solid and different from the previous titles.

FACE

Banned
Unless you still believe that PC gaming is about graphics, and you are a rpg fan, the best two exclusives that come to mind are Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

But I would like it better if they released in as many platforms as possible (which I hold for every game ever made).

I don't think those games would work well on controllers.

Top Bottom