• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between building a new gaming PC or a PS4.

Zimbardo

PS4 now. Save up for a PC afterwards as prices for cards that give a sizeable increase of power over the PS4 will be coming down next year.

Right now isn't the best time, price wise, to build a PC. There's a very powerful generation of tech that's just coming out that will be much more affordable in 8 months or so.

unhuh ...and in 8 months time there'll be another sizable upgrade just around the corner ...might as well wait for that.

if you keep that mindset, you'll be waiting forever.

I'd say a PS4 now and a PC 1 or 2 years down the line.. By then we will have games really pushing the limits of the PS4 and having subpar frame rates and such.. PCs of today may not be able to run those games at 1080p with 60FPS with all the bells and whistles but a PC with a couple of AMD's 10000 series or whatever they have at that time should be fine for anything from the next gen.
unhuh ...and in 8 months time there'll be another sizable upgrade just around the corner ...might as well wait for that.

Nvidia and AMD's graphics card lines have been stagnating for the past couple years. Nvidia's 700 series is not that big of a leap from the 600s, and AMD's 9000 series may be a bit better, but IIRC they're going for a die shrink for the series after that and so is Nvidia which should bring huge gains on both sides. This is what famousmortimer is referring to.

Lingitiz

Buy an 800 dollar PC and a PS4. Upgrade the GPU later.

I would go with this. Toss a GTX 760 in there and you'll be good to go for a while. You'll save a decent amount on games, and if you wait on the PS4 you can probably avoid any possible first run hardware issues and buy some exclusives at cheap prices.

Well the Oculus Rift is the future of gaming. And if you want to play games using the OR you are going to need a gaming PC. You wouldn't want to regret going PS4 over a PC 2 years from now would you?

Omega

Banned
I have all the parts for a new PC lined up, which would cost me around $1200. On the other hand, PS4 is a much cheaper alternative and has console exclusives that really interest me, plus all the PC games I would end up getting ayway. I will end up getting PS4 at some point - the only thing that made me seriously consider PC is the impending death of my current laptop. I've never been a big PC gamer, but maybe now is the time to switch?

So, GAF, can you sell me on one or the other?

Also, nobody say XBO - I don't plan to get one anytime soon.

So, this thread has no point.

The exclusive games interest you, and the PC games you want are also on it.

Right... but the stuff that is out now but really expensive is a huge step up from what's inside a PS4. The generation after that will be as well... but at some point you need to jump. Do you jump now and end up either paying a shitload of money or getting something cheaper that is comparable to a ps4....? Or do you wait a year and buy something cheaper that is much more powerful than a PS4.

To me the answer is easy.

Oppo

PS4 now.

PC in a year or two.

Games will not be getting any more advanced than what the PS4/Xbone generation can achieve. So no point buying hardware 10x as powerful for 10x the cost.

Wait a year or two where you can buy a PC with 10x the power for only 2x the cost. Or a PC with 100x the power for 10x the cost.

The dawn of a new console generation is the worst time to buy a PC.

This is the calculation made, FWIW, OP.

Next year will be ideal. Plus this when the Rift will a tally be ready.

I bought consoles for last gen before I bought a new PC.

Due to the way that PC parts get better as time goes on the more cost effective approach would be to buy the PS4 first since you won't have to worry about upgrading till the next generation.

Enjoy playing exclusives or whatever it is you want then some point down the line get a new PC once there are actual games you want to play on it + better parts now being available.

jacobs34

I'm a little cash poor right now, so my gameplan is to buy a PS4 and a game or two at launch, use gamefly to play other titles, and save 20-50 dollars a month to build a good PC rig. When I have around $1K saved up I'll see what the best bang for my buck is. Perhaps this would be a good route for you to go as well.

Omega

Banned
PS4 now.

PC in a year or two.

Games will not be getting any more advanced than what the PS4/Xbone generation can achieve. So no point buying hardware 10x as powerful for 10x the cost.

Wait a year or two where you can buy a PC with 10x the power for only 2x the cost. Or a PC with 100x the power for 10x the cost.

The dawn of a new console generation is the worst time to buy a PC.

this is such a load of shit it's ridiculous.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I just had this exact dilemma, and I chose to build a PC.

I concluded that 90% of the games I'm likely to play will be available for every platform. The deciding factor for me was seeing how huge the gap was between third party games on PC & console, the excellent modding communities, and the insane deals during the Steam summer sale. I picked up over 15 games for the same price as a new $60 game. It's madness.

I just got done modding GTAIV and with an ENB & HD textures and it looks more next gen than anything I've seen on the new consoles. In 20 minutes I was able to mod Oblivion to eliminate level scaling and add unique landscapes all over Cyrodiil. It feels like magic. I wish I had gotten into PC gaming earlier.

I am still interested in a PS4, but won't consider buying one until there are enough exclusives to make it tempting.

I have all the parts for a new PC lined up, which would cost me around $1200. On the other hand, PS4 is a much cheaper alternative and has console exclusives that really interest me, plus all the PC games I would end up getting ayway. I will end up getting PS4 at some point - the only thing that made me seriously consider PC is the impending death of my current laptop. I've never been a big PC gamer, but maybe now is the time to switch?

So, GAF, can you sell me on one or the other?

Also, nobody say XBO - I don't plan to get one anytime soon.

You must also include the cost of games and Playstation Plus when you are getting a PS4.

PC is always a good choice, and consoles are never anything to get excited about until two years into their life, so PC sounds pretty dandy.

Plus if you've never really been into the PC as a gaming platform, that means there will be plenty of stuff that you haven't played yet.

kharma45

Nvidia and AMD's graphics card lines have been stagnating for the past couple years. Nvidia's 700 series is not that big of a leap from the 600s, and AMD's 9000 series may be a bit better, but IIRC they're going for a die shrink for the series after that and so is Nvidia which should bring huge gains on both sides. This is what famousmortimer is referring to.

AMD and Nvidia will still both be at 28nm with their next set of releases.

Oppo

this is such a load of shit it's ridiculous.

It's not a total load of shit. Yes PC will always have the upper hand but the way devs will target the average (highest population) level of power, it makes sense. PCs don't all magically upgrade at the same time even when the ceiling goes up.

TouchMyBox said:
PC is always a good choice, and consoles are never anything to get excited about until two years into their life, so PC sounds pretty dandy.
I can't miss Infamous: SS in the spring. I can't.

Kacho

A nice PC is hard to beat. I'd pick a PC over a console any day.

That said, it sounds like the PS4 will be the better option for you. Maybe just go with that.

btrboyev

Don't buy a PC now. Just don't do it.

A $1200 PC you build now may be somewhat more powerful than a PS4, but a PC you build next year or the year after will be monstrously more powerful.

Think of it this way: The PS3 has a GeForce 7800GT as its GPU. Try running multiplatform games on a 7800GT and see how they run, even on minimum settings, compared to the PS3.

I hate to call just you out here, but a high end PC is considerably more powerful than a PS4 already.

Do you want to pay more for your games, pay to play online, not be able to play at 60 fps or 1080p in many games, not be able to turn off bloom, chromatic abberation and blur , not be able to fix the fov , be forced to use a controller?
If you said yes to all of these, then you should definitely buy a ps4

I hate to call just you out here, but a high end PC is considerably more powerful than a PS4 already.

Yeah, the more accurate comparison would be to try and run current games on an 8800GT.

Which, as it turns out is absolutely fine if your point of comparison is the PS3.

Also, the 7800 was a relic when it launched and didn't have unified shaders.

I can't miss Infamous: SS in the spring. I can't.

It's possible I will become weak to Second Son. I loved infamous and sly so much but infamous ran like hot garbage on the PS3 and can really stand to benefit from new hardware.

Oppo

Do you want to pay more for your games, pay to play online, not be able to play at 60 fps or 1080p in many games, not be able to turn off bloom, chromatic abberation and blur , not be able to fix the fov , be forced to use a controller?
If you said yes to all of these, then you should definitely buy a ps4

I love that you guys exist — you do all the legwork for me when I'm trying to figure out which particular jigsaw puzzle or set of hoops I need to jump through just to get Tomb Raider to not constantly crash.

Two edges to that sword, is all I'm getting at. Easy for experts to forget that fact.

Yeah, I would get the PS4 first.

Then save up and buy the PC later.

Give ya more time tyo wait for the right hardware. I was actually going to buy a new PC too, but Im getting the PS4 first.

Drizzt519

Banned
I dont see how anyone could regret going with a nice PC. Do you all realize that you can do way, WAY, more than just game on a PC right? Everything that is hype for consoles now is standard (and works extremely well) on PC. Streaming, watching tv, whatever...

I would say get a PC and wait a couple years till PS4 works out the kinks and gets some super dope exclusives.

Sentenza

Let me premise that even as someone who thinks about the PC as his primary gaming device, I have doubts myself that this could not be a good moment to buy a new PC (which is annoying to me, because that's exactly what I'm tempted to do, as my system is closing his sixth year in few months and I'm craving to update it).

That said, I don't get why a lot of people in this thread, including many "PC supporters", keep putting this choice in terms of "If you want every game go PS4, if you can give up on PS4 exclusives try PC" as if going for a PC there weren't a fair amount of very appealing exclusives as well.

To me it's not even about which system is more powerful, frankly. I want a new PC exactly because there are a lot of very interesting things coming *for* PC.
A PC is what I'm going to need to play a new Torment, Project Eternity, Star Citizen, Oculus Rift stuff, Warhammer Total War and a lot more.
A PC is the only one where I can play shooters (and more) with M&KB.
Mods and custom settings will be a prerogative of PC gaming even going into the next get.
Plus, of course, that overwhelming majority of multiplatform titles that every platform is going to get anyway.

It's not like I haven't considered buying a PS4 as well, by the way. But so far I'm having a very hard time justifying that kind of purchase to myself, especially because it would be far too expensive as primary gaming device.
Sure, the hardware is cheaper upfront, but at the rate I usually "consume" new games I'm a little concerned about how much more I would end spending in one year or two in software.

Taurus

Probably wanna go with the PS4. It's a supercharged PC.
Didn't know supercharged PC has to tweak down BF4 to get it running properly. If there are problems already, what about in 2-3 years? *shivers*

PC all the way, son. Also, Oculus fucking Rift.

with the money for one new game you can get like 10 for PC.

Or a year of PS+ meaning dozens of free full games.

PS4 now, and PC in a year or two. The PC hardware prices will all decrease anyway the longer you wait. And as more powerful components are released, you'll have the option of building a beefier machine if you so choose, while the PS4 keeps you busy.

If there are problems already, what about in 2-3 years? *shivers*

PC all the way, son.

The games will run remarkably better? Devs will have gotten used to the hardware on top of proper optimization. When have console visuals ever gone backwards from launch?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Get a PC

You can get a PS4 later when A) It might be cheaper or on sale B) it has a larger library of games to enjoy

In the mean time there's no shortage of games to play on PC

PC first, ps4 later. When the ps4 hits, the early models could very well suck ie overheating, hardware issues. I never get the first batch of electronics, even when new gpus and cpus roll out I will wait a few months before biting. I don't mind being a beta tester for games but beta testing for hardware is a no no because a patch can't fixed a bricked electronic. Build the PC, use it as a PC is intended then get the ps4, win win.

Gaogaogao

if you dont already have a good pc, get a ps4, then wait for new video cards.

I dont think ps4 will price drop for a long time, considering they are already beating xbox by $100

if youre scared about your laptop then fuck it just go all in on pc gaming.

Rengoku

PS4 is the cheaper option. Especially if you plan on buying games on day 1. Embrace the used game market!
Otherwise PC, if you don't mind waiting for games to drop in price a couple months down the line.

Persona86

Banned

There's a good reason to wait this time = Oculus Rift.

By the time the retail version comes out, the upgrade will be a bigger boost for the money spent, therefore making the most out of Oculus Rift.

So like I said before, buy PS4 now, wait until Oculus Rift for a upgrade, well that's what I'm doing anyway.

The games will run remarkably better? Devs will have gotten used to the hardware on top of proper optimization. When have console visuals ever gone backwards from launch?

Did you like... live in a cave during the current gen?
Framerates went down, screentearing increased, draw distances went down, pop up increased.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Wait for price cut and revision, don't pay extra money to be beta tester. They're are not even many exclusive at launch, meanwhile there are enough dirt cheap pc games to keep you company until Ps4 has more exclusives.

Sentenza

PS4 is the cheaper option. Especially if you plan on buying games on day 1. Embrace the used game market!
Otherwise PC, if you don't mind waiting for games to drop in price a couple months down the line.
We are entering Bizarro World now.

Haunted

consoles are a curated experience. you pay a modest price, get your modest hardware and get a guided tour of the lot. they are great entry level or supplementary devices, but offer the user no agency beyond what the manufacturer has planned for them.

there is a lot of fervour right now as some of those who are deeply connected to their hobby are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that their preferred console model is one which doesn't necessarily reward a large degree of investment. they offer a prescribed package tailored to the mass market.

if you are someone who wants to invest in this hobby beyond treating it as a distraction, you must have a PC. it's not even a question. in both next gen console's entire lifetimes, they won't build anything close to library of defining titles already available to the PC today. though i'm not sure how much of that you can already explore on your laptop.

there are big things coming to the PC market. DD has given way to an entire frontier of maverick game design, price and distribution which the consoles are scrambling to emulate, multiplatform support will be of unprecedented quality, the oculus rift is on the cusp of starting a revolution, esports is firmly rooted on the platform and 20nm GPU tech should see a performance leap like we haven't seen in years.

so i guess it all comes down to how active you want to be in your hobby. do you want to kick back at the end of the day and enjoy titles for what they are, enjoying tightly honed AAA blockbusters and signed-off indie titles without too much scrutiny or agency beyond playing the game itself? or do you want to actively invest in crafting the best experience you can for yourself, personalised for your idiosyncrasies?

all this is before getting into a power debate, the results of which are already firmly established. i will say that come october, the radeon 9000 series is dropping and the 20nm fabricated nvidia maxwell is pencilled in for q1. should you choose to go with PC, if you can wait until then, do.
Nobody can tell you what you should do. There's a long line of pros/cons for each, and we don't all weigh things the same way.

I was in the same boat. I ultimately decided that PC now, PS4/XboxOne later was going to be my best option. My reasoning:

- I had the money to put upfront for a decent PC. Ultimately spent a little more than £800 for an upper mid range rig. I'm fairly confident I'll be good going into next-gen, power-wise.

- I needed a new PC anyways.

- I got immediate access to a large amount of games I hadn't been able to play on the consoles. It was kind of like being a very late adopter for a console, but that console will also play next-gen games in all their glory when they come out!

- Console launch lineups are quite good, but I've always felt that waiting was the best way to jump into a generation, being able to better choose which one suits you best and having a larger library of games(including cheaper, used games) available.

- Free online gaming.

- Cheap games from Steam/GoG.

- Mods and general customization.

- Oculus motherfuckin Rift(when it comes out).

I have absolutely zero regrets and am really having a great time right now. I'm quite floored by how amazing everything looks, even slightly older games. I don't ever see myself being a PC snob, but I think the hype surrounding modern PC gaming has generally been warranted. I've played PC games before, but never really had a gaming machine. This is like a whole new world for me.

BUT, that's just me. You may not be so happy about the initial cost or may not care about online gaming or whatever. I don't know.
3T0G3Iy.gif

I feel I don't have a lot to add after reading these two posts.

klee123

My experience so far would be.

Since it's is nearly the start of a new gen.

I'd get a PS4 first since the multiplat differences between the PC and PS4 versions shouldn't be too major.

A few years down the line when games get more demanding in specs, I'd get a PC then.

Sentenza

I actually gave far more advice than the nine words you chose to quote...
You claimed quite explicitly that if you are not a graphic whore there's no reason to not choose a console.
Which is bullshit, regardless of what you added later trying to make this senseless premise sound reasonable.

Nakazato

Thanks gaf you helped me make my choice.

PS4 this year
PC late 2014- early 2015. Just hope I can make a good one with 700 budget.

en0s

Neo Member
PS4 now, PC later.
PC now, PS4 later.

you can't go wrong either way.

it will go down to the genres you want to play.

Killzone/Infamous vs Total War/X:Rebirth... etc. etc.

Top Bottom