• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between building a new gaming PC or a PS4.

Make your choice based on any existing and upcoming games you are interested in for either platform.

If bent on playing first party Sony exclusives, get a PS4. Otherwise, I'd get a gaming PC since most upcoming games will be playable on there.

You claimed quite explicitly that if you are not a graphic whore there's no reason to not choose a console.
Which is bullshit, regardless of what you added later trying to make this senseless premise sound reasonable.

Most PC gamers I know and read about online chose PC over console because of the graphical and performance gains.

Just because you personally chose to play on PC to play a bunch of exclusive indie games most people have never even heard of doesn't make my advice any less valid.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Does the PS4 have oculus rift?

The choice seems pretty clear to me.

Something without a release date and with very little and mostly niche support is enough to offset an entire console's generation of games?

Rift will be awesome, I have no doubt about that, but cost, date and support are all huge question marks. And regardless, even if that WAS the case, if most PC games and most console ports did support it, you'd want a much more powerful machine to do so.

Anyway, PS4 for now, PC down the line if you feel like you're missing something. Hardware will be cheaper, the new low bar for PC will be well established.

Adry9

If you really want the console exclusives and you are going to get both buy the PS4 now. Otherwise just get a PC, I got a 1000€ one a couple of months ago and I'm never going back to console gaming.

PS4 now.

PC in a year or two.

Games will not be getting any more advanced than what the PS4/Xbone generation can achieve. So no point buying hardware 10x as powerful for 10x the cost.

Wait a year or two where you can buy a PC with 10x the power for only 2x the cost. Or a PC with 100x the power for 10x the cost.

The dawn of a new console generation is the worst time to buy a PC.

Have you seen BF3 running on a console? Also, next-gen games are already struggling to achieve 1080p/60fps on consoles.

velociraptor

Do what I'm doing and get both.

PC for any games that are exclusive on the PC or not on the PS4 (e.g. Titanfall).

PS4 for Sony first party goodness.

Multiplatform depending on how good the console port is (and multiplayer emphasis).

Also, Dark Souls II is coming out and the PC version will be the defacto version.

PS4 is obviously a lot cheaper than building a PC from scratch though.

The smartest way to go about that is to build your PC now, and wait until later when the Ps4 is less expansive and has more games.

A gaming PC right now has a lot more games than a Ps4 will at launch.

Sentenza

Most PC gamers I know and read about online chose PC over console because of the graphical and performance gains.
Let me just guess that they probably didn't and you simply like to ignore every other reason they may have to feel more validated about your choice.

Just because you personally chose to play on PC
What I chose is completely irrelevant.

Let me just guess that they probably don't and you simply like to ignore every other reason they may have to feel more validated about your choice.

So I'm lying lol ?...

I have my gaming PC to play multi platform games at 1080p / 60fps and to play PC exclusives. The guy asked for advice and I gave him mine, if you don't like it... tough.

Jack_AG

Banned
If you know you will have both at some point its really up to you. If you need a PC to function (don't we all?) - build it first then get a PS4. If you don't produce anything with the PC - get a PS4 as you sound like you like where its headed.

Sentenza

So I'm lying lol ?...

I have my gaming PC to play multi platform games at 1080p / 60fps and to play PC exclusives. The guy asked for advice and I gave him mine, if you don't like it... tough.
Aren't you missing the point by a couple of miles?
I don't care about what's your advice and I didn't ask you about your gaming habits, I'm arguing about your ridiculous premise.

PC now, PS4 later, unless there are several titles you know you definitely want on PS4.

For those of you saying wait for upgrades, I personally wouldn't recommend that. Newer parts just came out in May/June. Plenty of part sales happened this past summer, and are happening right now because of back 2 school and labor day.

In addition, there is a rumor going around that Broadwell is being delayed to 2015, and another saying that maxwell v1/ GTX 800 might actually be 28mn, instead of 20nm.

Buy haswell and kepler now, sell the kepler when maxwell gets here. CPU won't be that big of a deal, many people are still rocking i7 920s from 2009.

3T0G3Iy.gif

I feel I don't have a lot to add after reading these two posts.

Yeah, these are some good posts.

I'm in the same boat, however I'm going with PS4 simply because I need to build from scratch.

PS4 + 1 DS4 + KZ4 + Watch Dogs + Charge Dock + Stand = AU$900

PC....$2700 for what I actually want to build.

Omega

Banned
It's not a total load of shit. Yes PC will always have the upper hand but the way devs will target the average (highest population) level of power, it makes sense. PCs don't all magically upgrade at the same time even when the ceiling goes up.

I can't miss Infamous: SS in the spring. I can't.

Yeah, the EAs/Activisions/Ubishits will develop for the lowest common denominator but they're not the only people that make games.

There will be people that aspire for more and don't settle for mediocrity.

Now is a fine time to build a PC. You'll get an unmatched library of games at criminally cheap prices, no charge for online gaming, and the best versions of upcoming multiplatform games.

If anything it's objectively the worst time to buy a PS4.

velociraptor

I'm in the same boat, however I'm going with PS4 simply because I need to build from scratch.

PS4 + 1 DS4 + KZ4 + Watch Dogs + Charge Dock + Stand = AU$900

PC....$2700 for what I actually want to build.
That's a pretty expensive PC. You only need to spend $1k for a decent rig.

I recently asked myself the same question. Although I haven't cancelled my PS4 preorder yet, I decided to build a kick ass PC and wait until there are more games I want to play to jump to next gen consoles. I have a nice backlog of games to play at higher resolution and better frame rate than next gen to keep me busy.

Brokun

consoles are a curated experience. you pay a modest price, get your modest hardware and get a guided tour of the lot. they are great entry level or supplementary devices, but offer the user no agency beyond what the manufacturer has planned for them.

there is a lot of fervour right now as some of those who are deeply connected to their hobby are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that their preferred console model is one which doesn't necessarily reward a large degree of investment. they offer a prescribed package tailored to the mass market.

if you are someone who wants to invest in this hobby beyond treating it as a distraction, you must have a PC. it's not even a question. in both next gen console's entire lifetimes, they won't build anything close to library of defining titles already available to the PC today. though i'm not sure how much of that you can already explore on your laptop.

there are big things coming to the PC market. DD has given way to an entire frontier of maverick game design, price and distribution which the consoles are scrambling to emulate, multiplatform support will be of unprecedented quality, the oculus rift is on the cusp of starting a revolution, esports is firmly rooted on the platform and 20nm GPU tech should see a performance leap like we haven't seen in years.

so i guess it all comes down to how active you want to be in your hobby. do you want to kick back at the end of the day and enjoy titles for what they are, enjoying tightly honed AAA blockbusters and signed-off indie titles without too much scrutiny or agency beyond playing the game itself? or do you want to actively invest in crafting the best experience you can for yourself, personalised for your idiosyncrasies?

all this is before getting into a power debate, the results of which are already firmly established. i will say that come october, the radeon 9000 series is dropping and the 20nm fabricated nvidia maxwell is pencilled in for q1. should you choose to go with PC, if you can wait until then, do.

Excellent response.

Zemm

consoles are a curated experience. you pay a modest price, get your modest hardware and get a guided tour of the lot. they are great entry level or supplementary devices, but offer the user no agency beyond what the manufacturer has planned for them.

there is a lot of fervour right now as some of those who are deeply connected to their hobby are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that their preferred console model is one which doesn't necessarily reward a large degree of investment. they offer a prescribed package tailored to the mass market.

if you are someone who wants to invest in this hobby beyond treating it as a distraction, you must have a PC. it's not even a question. in both next gen console's entire lifetimes, they won't build anything close to library of defining titles already available to the PC today. though i'm not sure how much of that you can already explore on your laptop.

there are big things coming to the PC market. DD has given way to an entire frontier of maverick game design, price and distribution which the consoles are scrambling to emulate, multiplatform support will be of unprecedented quality, the oculus rift is on the cusp of starting a revolution, esports is firmly rooted on the platform and 20nm GPU tech should see a performance leap like we haven't seen in years.

so i guess it all comes down to how active you want to be in your hobby. do you want to kick back at the end of the day and enjoy titles for what they are, enjoying tightly honed AAA blockbusters and signed-off indie titles without too much scrutiny or agency beyond playing the game itself? or do you want to actively invest in crafting the best experience you can for yourself, personalised for your idiosyncrasies?

all this is before getting into a power debate, the results of which are already firmly established. i will say that come october, the radeon 9000 series is dropping and the 20nm fabricated nvidia maxwell is pencilled in for q1. should you choose to go with PC, if you can wait until then, do.

crying-man.gif

If I had to choose between the two then I'd get the PC, especially because of the current situation with your laptop. You need to PC, you don't need a PS4.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I built a PC at the beginning of the year mostly for Photoshop. I am now debating holding off on the PS4 I preordered. Games already look great on my PC and there's so much on Steam for dirt cheap. I am thinking it might make sense to hold off until the PS4 has a bigger library. I was never much of a PC gamer until I built this computer this year. Since the OPs laptop is about to die it might make more sense to go PC now and get a PS4 later.

ufo8mycat

Both if you can :D

I will be also buying a XBONE as well just to ensure I don't miss out on any games.

I use my PC for PC exclusives and Indie games, while I will be using the PS4 for mulitplats/indies/exclusives and XBONE for exclusives/possibly multiplats (depends on controller)

I don't like missing out on any games.

If you only can choose one though, I would honestly go with PS4.

Reasons? Well All the multiplats that are on PC, can already be played on PS4 PLUS Sonys exclusives and we will also see Indie games (thought not all will come from PC), so you really aren't missing out on that much really thats on PC, since its already on PS4.

Please note though I am not someone who is sensitive to graphics/FPS/resolution. I feel that graphics have reached that 'point' where anything better does not improve enjoyment (at least this is how I feel when I play) hence why I play my mulitplats on consoles.

So really it boils down to if graphics/fps still impact your enjoyment

If No -> PS4 - Have access to all the multiplats games plus more

If Yes -> Go with PC - The fact that you are going to spend $2700 makes me believe it does for you.

You know you can always pickup a PS4 later down the line for the exclusives if needed.

BlueCrest

I'm going PC, then PS4 route, considering how the majority of titles are going to be multiplatform, and most of them are going to be FPS the PC is clearly the better choice now. Later, when the PS4 starts garnering exclusives i'll buy one but for now it's PC for me.

PS4 first, PC later.

PS4 is going to stay the same.

PC will always get more powerful every year.

I was originally going to say, "If you're willing to spend the money, (3x as much) you might as well get a PC." But come to think, the "wait on a PC is probably the best option. Hardware is going to change in a year or so with whatever becomes defacto after the consoles, so waiting for that would be wise. Question though, will a PC really replace a laptop for you? It certainly wouldn't for what I use my laptop for.

puebla

no brainer, build your pc, play games the way they were meant to be played. also free online and you will build an incredible backlog of games.

Mr. X

Laptop is nearing death? Get the PC.

PC market moves quick though so what you want now could be pretty cheap in 6 months to a year.

Literally cancelling my ps4 preorder because of ghst's post.

fucking lol

Let me put it this way, if you have the amount of money to build the PC that would render his post in anyway relevant, you would have enough money to buy both. Don't let these PC guys (who in the past month has gone off the fucking deep end and I'm sure are dredging through another dimension) fool you with the cost will even out with cheap games bullshit becasue that's bullshit. They are calculating that over the course of an entire generation and not a single year and it only works if you only ever buy games new on consoles.

OP, I could have written your post word-for-word. However, I'm getting a PS4 on day one. I am a life long console gamer since the mid 80s and I've never had the day one console experience. So I'm in on Nov. 15.

I have decided to go PS4 + PC overall in the coming years, though. I last played PC games around the time Space Quest 4 was released about, oh, 22 years ago. And I love smaller indie games these days. I need a PC to play them all. But PS4's indie love has me won over enough for now. A $400 investment now will go a loooooong way over the years. In about 18 months I'll build a PC and get more power for the same money. I have a totally shit, old mail order HP so I'm gonna have to build a full rig. Gonna be much more expensive than $400. I agree that the start of a console cycle is the worst time to build a new PC.

Have you seen BF3 running on a console? Also, next-gen games are already struggling to achieve 1080p/60fps on consoles.

Yes, I think most people have seen bf3 run on 7 year old consoles. Literally every next gen launch game is 1080p and fps is a design choice.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well PC has a ton of exclusives you're not going to get on the consoles, and the best versions of any multiplatform games, so assuming money isn't an issue I'd say go for PC.

pixlexic

Banned
Well PC has a ton of exclusives you're not going to get on the consoles, and the best versions of any multiplatform games, so assuming money isn't an issue I'd say go for PC.

same could be said of the ps4 to pc. and IMO the consoles exclusive are usually a lot better.

So it all depends on what you like. If you only buy the ACs and CODs I would say a pc is no brainer.

but if you like the uncharteds, gran tourismos, infamous, dragons dogmas, final fantasies, and killzones and don't mind slight downgrade ports of most of the games pc has. then Id say go with ps4.

Top Bottom