• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between building a new gaming PC or a PS4.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would buy a PC first. All multiplatform titles will be looking best on PC (fullHD, Max Details, no compromises like on PS4/One) - Dont forget the possibilites of modding and the great sales on a pc (Humble Bundle!). And you can play MMOs and RTS games
We don't know what kind of requirements new gen games will carry. Wouldn't it be better to wait for the next round of PC hardware that can absolutely crush console ports rather than building now and potentially failing to achieve perfect performance?

I have all the parts for a new PC lined up, which would cost me around $1200. On the other hand, PS4 is a much cheaper alternative and has console exclusives that really interest me, plus all the PC games I would end up getting ayway. I will end up getting PS4 at some point - the only thing that made me seriously consider PC is the impending death of my current laptop. I've never been a big PC gamer, but maybe now is the time to switch?

So, GAF, can you sell me on one or the other?

Also, nobody say XBO - I don't plan to get one anytime soon.

Get a PS4, You can build a PC anytime after that + Nvidia's upcoming GPUs will make a significant jump spec wise.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
good list, but I think that CPU is overkill, with next gen consoles having such weak CPUs . AMD FX-8320 costs $145 and is 8 core running 3.5 Ghz. that brings it down to a $700 PC, although yes without a windows license.
3.5 LAME Ghz (AMD cycles do much less work per cycle than Intel), but yes more than enough one would hope to compete with 1.8Ghz mobile cores the XBO and PS4 will have.

I don't agree since the large disparity in IPC with AMD vs Intel can be very noticeable in some games and help smooth out your outlying frame latencies. It's a slow burn for AMD to get people on board using 8 cores.

Someone needs to do testing to see what % of people can see or care though.

I'd go for the gaming PC. I have one already and that's why I'm more interesting in the media hub aspects of the Xbox One. Both machines will play great games, but I want a media hub and game player. Just think the Xbox One will be better at it. Maybe I'm wrong. However, without a doubt a good gaming PC is better for pure gaming than either of these consoles. Hell neither console will launch as the most powerful gaming platform which is nuts for a gaming console. Can you imagine in two years how far ahead PC gaming will be?

Atruvius

Buy a PC and you'll go cheaper. PC games go on sale more frequently and are cheaper than console games. While PS4 gamers are buying game for 70€ you're buying them for 20-40€. You got Steam cards + other stuff you can sell on Steam to get some gaming money.

And I wouldn't buy a first gen model a gaming console, they seem to be prone to breaking like YLOD and RROD show.

Considering a high end GPU like the Titan costs $1000, $300 can even be considered low range.

By the same logic a 2000 dollar gpu makes the Titan low end. The arrival of 1000 buck gpus didn't move every other category to a lower tier. $3-400 is pretty much high end level, anything above is enthusiast.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
speaking of upgrading pc I have an i5 2400 and nvidia 560 ti for my next upgrade should I buy new CPU and and GPU or just buy a new GPU and overclock my CPU?

Visceir

I'd get a ps4. It's something new, something exciting. New system, new OS, new features + sony exclusives.

Could always just sell it off later if for some reason you should end up not liking it.

Buying a PS3 at launch + 7 years of PS+ at $50 a year = $750

That's PC money at that point right there. Try using that as your point of comparison.

That said, what a lot of people said is true, the time to upgrade your PC is not just when the new consoles are coming out, but after, when it is more clear what hardware will run the ports better. So go ahead and get a PS4 now, just don't be fooled about the true cost of it.

ShadyJ

That's kind of silly.

Spend money on games to offset all the money you spent on your PC? Hopefully that game you've been eying goes on sale soon, otherwise, here's a bunch of other cheap titles that you may or may not care about/ever play, but boy oh boy, will you ever have eventually saved big bucks.

What I meant was the price of games on a PC is cheaper than console, so the money you spent building will eventually come back to you in savings.

GMG was selling Arkham Asylum GOTY, Arkham City GOTY and Arkham Origins for 65 dollars plus there is 20% off coupon to use towards it.

More than enough to argue for a PC in my opinion.

Pay less for games on a PC upon release usually and have a superior experience?

There are strong arguments for a PC and a Console.

Tenck

Not sure why people would recommend PS4 over PC. Even now OP can build a great PC and not have to deal with the new GPUs coming, and he'd be fine.

What he gets with a PC right now trumps what he'll get from a PS4. Just wait it out and wait till the software library on the PS4 has gotten better then dive right in.

And this is coming from someone who's getting a PS4 and has a gaming PC.

Spend money on games to offset all the money you spent on your PC? Hopefully that game you've been eying goes on sale soon, otherwise, here's a bunch of other cheap titles that you may or may not care about/ever play, but boy oh boy, will you ever have eventually saved big bucks.

Oh look, here's me waiting for a deal to come alo.......oh wait.
MaYf65l.png

Too bad there wont be another one like this till Steam Winter sale....oh wait.

Zemm

The misinformation and some outright lies coming from the console side of things in this thread is insane.

News Bot

Banned
PC

PS4 won't have many excellent exclusives for a while and there is no multiplatform game that will outperform the PC version.

solarus

This is tearing me apart too. The jap support, exclusives and price make me leant to ps4. However the occulus rift alone means I must have a PC at some point, I dont see how consoles could handle something like the rift with their horsepower without additional processing power through some sort of hardware. So many amazing games this gen found only on consoles, also where the fuck is the promised revengeance pc port that was coming "soon". There is no guarantee that a lot of games will come to pc like mgsv etc and I really want to play final fantasy xv and kh3. I might just bite the bullet and go pc and pray that squeenix and others bring all their games to pc, the rift is caling me...
EDIT: note i have a pc already that lasted me this gen as well as all 3 consoles, but for next gen i am torn. I would have to build a completely new pc. I also want it to be mini itx, current build will be around £700-750

Paracelsus

Wait to see if the gaming offer for all consoles improves from the average mediocrity of this gen. If it does, go PS4, otherwise stick with PC and at least play that mediocrity at Ultra settings.

Rooster

I have a gaming PC. I'm getting a PS4 for exclusives, convenience and tradable games.

The convenience is the biggest factor for me personally. I've been gaming on PC for 15 years and while some things have improved they are still nowhere near the level of convenience offered by consoles and I simply can't be arsed dealing with it anymore.

Cheap games are no longer a draw for me either. Five cheap games bought on impulse from a Steam sale that I don't play (paradox of choice messing with my head) offer less value than a full priced console game that I will play.

pixlexic

Banned
$800~ PC and PS4. This is what I chucked together yesterday for someone in the PC thread. If you can get OS for cheap or free from work/college then great, if not then slightly over budget!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($111.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.24 @ Amazon)
Total: $768.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-28 04:09 EDT-0400)

And still no windows os. Why do all PC list never include the cost of windows, m/k , or controller?

Honey Bunny

I've just taken the plunge on a gaming pc. I'll pick up the PS4 in about a year's time when it's built up more of a library; in the meantime I'll enjoy a plenty powerful pc and whichever games I've missed out on, as well as my PS3 backlog.

Sentenza

And still no windows os. Why do all PC list never include the cost of windows
Because it's irrelevant.
You can use any old version you already had, you can buy an imported serial key for 20-30 bucks and quite frankly, as much as it can outrage some people here who like to pretend these things don't happen, you can even pirate it with no effort if the moral implications don't concern you.
That's why a lot of people never list the OS as a relevant part of the necessary budget to build a PC.

Oh, and a lot of hardware stores tend to throw in cheap M&K as a "gift" or for risible sums like 5-8 dollars when you purchase a system. They are a relevant additional cost only if you want to buy quality ones (which by the way you should, at some point if you want improve your experience).

tim.mbp

Well if you are looking for a new laptop and have $1200 to spend, you could take a look at Lenovo's Y410 for around $800 and use the rest for a PS4.

Sentenza

Well if you are looking for a new laptop and have $1200 to spend, you could take a look at Lenovo's Y410 for around $800 and use the rest for a PS4.
On a side note I would strongly discourage to go for a laptop for gaming unless you really *need* that mobility.

And still no windows os. Why do all PC list never include the cost of windows, m/k , or controller?

If it really, really bothers you that a random mouse and keyboard aren't added to the list of components, just add $20 to the price.

Keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ELVLKU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EOWBHC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SUILFO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B4BBFK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EJH6RW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZIN9DU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CPGHAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L62T7W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Windows is usually about $90 if you cannot find a real discount through work or school, if you do not already own a license.

FACE

Banned
consoles are a curated experience. you pay a modest price, get your modest hardware and get a guided tour of the lot. they are great entry level or supplementary devices, but offer the user no agency beyond what the manufacturer has planned for them.

there is a lot of fervour right now as some of those who are deeply connected to their hobby are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that their preferred console model is one which doesn't necessarily reward a large degree of investment. they offer a prescribed package tailored to the mass market.

if you are someone who wants to invest in this hobby beyond treating it as a distraction, you must have a PC. it's not even a question. in both next gen console's entire lifetimes, they won't build anything close to library of defining titles already available to the PC today. though i'm not sure how much of that you can already explore on your laptop.

there are big things coming to the PC market. DD has given way to an entire frontier of maverick game design, price and distribution which the consoles are scrambling to emulate, multiplatform support will be of unprecedented quality, the oculus rift is on the cusp of starting a revolution, esports is firmly rooted on the platform and 20nm GPU tech should see a performance leap like we haven't seen in years.

so i guess it all comes down to how active you want to be in your hobby. do you want to kick back at the end of the day and enjoy titles for what they are, enjoying tightly honed AAA blockbusters and signed-off indie titles without too much scrutiny or agency beyond playing the game itself? or do you want to actively invest in crafting the best experience you can for yourself, personalised for your idiosyncrasies?

all this is before getting into a power debate, the results of which are already firmly established. i will say that come october, the radeon 9000 series is dropping and the 20nm fabricated nvidia maxwell is pencilled in for q1. should you choose to go with PC, if you can wait until then, do.

do people ever stop to think about how horribly sycophantic they come across? i keep seeing the same few titles trotted out by console gamers and i'm not sure if it's a victory of marketing or a failure of the human condition.

you'll occasionally see a PC person mention some big PC titles in rebuttal, but rarely do you see whole threads where every third post is name dropping dota, total war, arma or any other myriad titles which are limited to PC only. given the complete eclectic depth of the PC library, it seems trivial ram a single title down someone's throat; PC caters for every taste and it's more important to open up a person to its possibilities than impose your own idea of the platform on then.

it'd like going to a film festival with a loud haler and screaming "oh yeah, but have you got olympus has fallen!?".

I like you :)

pixlexic

Banned
Because it's irrelevant.
You can use any old version you already had, you can buy an imported serial key for 20-30 bucks and quite frankly, as much as it can outrage some people here who like to pretend these things don't happen, you can even pirate it with no effort if the moral implications don't concern you.
That's why a lot of people never list the OS as a relevant part of the necessary budget to build a PC.

Oh, and a lot of hardware stores tend to throw in cheap M&K as a "gift" or for risible sums like 5-8 dollars when you purchase a system. They are a relevant additional cost only if you want to buy quality ones (which by the way you should, at some point if you want improve your experience).

It does bother me. not everyone has a copy of windows laying around with an unused licenses and good m/k can easily cost $200+ .

The you guys say " you only need a super cheap m/k". But when the gaming mouse and gaming keyboard threads pop up you guys throw out some very expensive recommendations.

I have gtx770 and ivy bridge i7 3770 along with a nice case , nice m/k , 2 hhd, 8 gigs of ram. And it wasn't cheap. And there are still games I can not play on full settings just because they are not really optimized that well.

It does bother me. not everyone has a copy of windows laying around with an unused licenses and good m/k can easily cost $200+ .

The you guys say " you only need a super cheap m/k". But when the gaming mouse and gaming keyboard threads pop up you guys through out some very expensive recommendations.

I have gtx770 and ivy bridge i7 3770 along with a nice case , nice m/k , 2 hhd, 8 gigs of ram. And it wasn't cheap. And there are still games I can not play on full settings just because they are not really optimized that well.

Those that are spending $200 for their mouse and keyboard are similar to those buying Titans or multiple cards. Does it bother you that they aren't specing the most expensive CPU or GPU as well? If you aren't buying a mechanical keyboard there is no reason to spend more than $10-15 on a keyboard. There are plenty of people on this board that game everyday on PC playing with $10 mice and doing just fine.

shuri

Banned
PC gaming is all about extreme experience and unique titles. For me, its all or nothing.

I bought a new rig back in april, i3770, sli 670; and now since the latest 12vs12 patch of Mech Warrior Online, I start getting drops at 30-50 fps during intense fightfights. It has been a major complain from players since the 12vs12 mode has been implemented. I run at 1080p with everything on Ultra. I feel I have wasted my money. Thanks god the games are cheaper.

The devs are going to test DX11 mode soon that is going to improve performances, but what the shit.. It's a bit title, how come its not using modern tech? such a letdown..

The game isnt all that optimized for sli but still, this is a MAJOR performance letdown considering I bought a gaming pc to play this game and DayZ. DayZ is a pretty shittily built mod based on an already pretty shitty engine, and even there, performances arent all that great; I can cut it some slack, but it's kinda hard to accept stil.

It's kind of the problem with pc gaming.. Performances may and will greatly vary; and quality assurance is TERRIBLE.

I was looking for a racing game to play on pc with my G27 rig that I build for GT3 on the ps3, and I ran into that new Nascar 2013 title for the computer. The graphics looks great, but it seems that the AI is completely broken? They are going to patch it "eventually". I dont think that kind of shit would fly on consoles.

My twin sli setup cost me 700$ (at the time of purchase) in videocards, and Now, I feel I already have to start making compromises. I can't really accept the fact that i'm probably going to downgrade the graphics to "High" or even "Normal" in MWO. It looks terrible.

Of course I get insane framerates in other titles (I think i get like 140 fps at payday2), but most of those titles are console ports..

pixlexic

Banned
Those that are spending $200 for their mouse and keyboard are similar to those buying Titans or multiple cards. Does it bother you that they aren't specing the most expensive CPU or GPU as well? If you aren't buying a mechanical keyboard there is no reason to spend more than $10-15 on a keyboard. There are plenty of people on this board that game everyday on PC playing with $10 mice and doing just fine.

It does a little because if you not playing games at full settings in 1080p at least then why not just get a console for a lot less of price is the issue?
And also why shit on console players at that piont as well?

Sentenza

It does bother me. not everyone has a copy of windows laying around with an unused licenses
I already stated what I think about this point, I don't see the utility of continuing a back and forth about it.
The OS cost is a trivial issue to resolve. If you actually don't have one from a previous PC and you care that much about solving the issue legally, just go to a chinese keystore and buy a new one for pennies.

The you guys say " you only need a super cheap m/k". But when the gaming mouse and gaming keyboard threads pop up you guys through out some very expensive recommendations.
Because what's necessary to function and what's recommended to excel are not the same things?
I can do pretty much everything I do now with a 10$ combo of a cheap mouse and a cheap keyboard, but I'm going to invest in a good mouse and a good keyboard if I can, precisely because I can.
I have plenty of friends that keep using cheap alternatives and they are perfectly fine with them.

If you can't ply games at max settings with that rig, you need to uninstall some crap from your system or you need to make peace with reality and just tune down a bit whatever absurd settings you are using.
Hell, I have a GTX460 and a CPU so old it's not even funny anymore, and I still can play a lot of games at 60fps these days.
You are definitely doing something wrong.

He's not perma, is he? We need him for GTAV's launch.
Hell, I hope he's not. Not sure about it, I have no idea what he was banned for in the first place. It's not like this forum makes easy to follow these things.

It does a little because if you not playing games at full settings in 1080p at least then why not just get a console for a lot less of price is the issue?

Are you saying that with the cards specced out on this page, you can't game at 1080p? I saw a GTX 760, HD7950 and HD7970 mentioned in this thread. You are gaming at 1080p at the very least on all those cards, easily.

pixlexic

Banned
Are you saying that with the cards specced out on this page, you can't game at 1080p? I saw a GTX 760, HD7950 and HD7970 mentioned in this thread. You are gaming at 1080p at the very least on all those cards, easily.

Not every game at 60fps with full settings on.

Some games are just poorly optimized.

I just want to break this myth of everything will be great with a mid range rig. you are going to have to lower settings for. A lot of newer games with a mid range rig.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I just want to break this myth of everything wi be great with a mid range rig. you are going to have to lower settings for. A lot of newer games with a mid range rig.

I guess next gen isn't optimized either then :(

Sentenza

I just want to break this myth of everything wi be great with a mid range rig. you are going to have to lower settings for. A lot of newer games with a mid range rig.
Do you realize that when "max settings" means things like AA16x, AO pumped to eleven, PhysX turned to the max and so on, you have a lot of room to juggle with options before giving up to native resolution and 60 fps?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

stop being a crazy person

also, you are taking every opportunity to over-inflate the price of the PC by any means necessary, but not taking into account added costs for consoles.

If you're going to do this kind of nonsense, you also have to factor in costs like the Playstation Eye and move controllers and PS+ for five years.

But somehow those never enter into the conversation.

I find myself in the same situation and decided to go PS4 at launch.

However if there are shortages, and if I could get $1,000 for my PS4, I plan to sell it and use the money made to build a PC. Don't judge me.

I say PC now and then get a PS4 once the exclusive titles start rolling out. The launch lineup for the PS4 is not looking great on the exclusive front, and with a $1200 rig the multiplatform games will look a lot better than the PS4 version. And plus, you'll be able to get the PC versions of said games for much less than what the PS4 version would cost. New PC games regularly go on sale right after they launch.

Unless you're posting this from your Mac you already have Windows, a mouse, and a keyboard. And if you have at least one console chances are you have a gamepad too.

Top Bottom