• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Sethos

Banned
The water makes me wet

untitled-1ptyhh.gif

epmode

Will the developers charge extra for blood this time around? I couldn't believe that they did it for Shogun 2 and I don't think I've seen confirmation one way or the other for Rome 2.

Pinktaco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tToPo66BX8

This has to be a joke? That is the dumbest AI i've seen since Empire, an entire army chases down 1 unit of camel archers? Really? Hype deflating :(

Obviously an anomaly otherwise we would've seen it before, even in controlled environment. I honestly cannot be bothered by this because I very much doubt this will be the case with more than a few units that'll more than likely be patched out.

Giran

Will the developers charge extra for blood this time around? I couldn't believe that they did it for Shogun 2 and I don't think I've seen confirmation one way or the other for Rome 2.

It's either that or no blood at all as far as I know. It's to keep the T rating.

epmode

It's either that or no blood at all as far as I know. It's to keep the T rating.

Right, but they don't have to charge for it. Release the game blood-free for the T rating (and to make it easier to release in territories which don't allow blood) and give away the DLC for free in countries where it's allowed.

The water makes me wet

untitled-1ptyhh.gif

motherofgod.gif
I don't know why but I always try to shy away from the waters in pretty much every strategy game for as long as I can. The increase in multitasking probably frightens me :D

And I hope the blood dlc comes quickly this time around, really added a lot to the physicality of battles in Shogun II. I want to crucify barbicans damn it!
Well, not that extreme but some nice stains and decapitation animations are nice

Giran

Right, but they don't have to charge for it. Release the game blood-free for the T rating (and to make it easier to release in territories which don't allow blood) and give away the DLC for free in countries where it's allowed.

At least it added a bunch of animations, too. The real shameless stuff was the saints and heroes DLC.

DTKT

That troop panel is just so big. I don't understand why they were so set on such an obnoxious design.

The-Bean

Looks amazing. I'm just hoping it doesn't have the same problem Shogun 2 has: when selecting a lot of units at once my framerate plummets. I don't have to be close to them, but when I select all my units (has to be a lot, not just two or three) my FPS can go from like 100+ to <30. Did anybody else have that?

Obviously an anomaly otherwise we would've seen it before, even in controlled environment. I honestly cannot be bothered by this because I very much doubt this will be the case with more than a few units that'll more than likely be patched out.

It's a historical battle which implies there's a level of scripting in it.

DTKT

I guess I'm skipping this one. The lack of decent AI which leads to very repetitive battles is a really big turn off. It doesn't help that it doesn't seem to run very well on very good hardware. I was really looking forward to more army customization but that seems to be rather simplistic. Naval battles are still as boring as ever.

What a shame, I was really looking forward to it.

Lingitiz

Sounds like the AI is pretty poor, which I expected anyways. Hopefully patches can alleviate it a bit, but it will probably be up to modders.

Another complaint seems to be the complexity in comparison to Shogun 2, which was a simpler Total War game in comparison to Empire.

Otherwise, I'm liking what I'm reading.

It irks me sometimes about how inconsistent reviews are on when they take off points and when they don't but oh well. I think I just get mad about the reviews because I don't want them to scare away other people from one of my favorite series. That said, I am super excited to start playing and unite the world under my banner...or under the boots of my armies.

I've yet to see something in the 'good, not great' reviews that seems like an actual departure from what CA usually offers up in its TW games. Which makes me wonder if the previous 2 installments (Shogun 2 and Napoleon) might have been getting the benefit of the doubt, whereas Rome 2 is not.

edit: Thinking specifically here of the AI complaints. Napoleon's AI was remarkably easy to goad into making suicidal attacks.

Martian

I wonder if this could come to PS4 now that we have plenty of RAM...

If you are serious: there is about 0,1% chance. TW games are meant to be played with keyboard and mouse.
The only RTS (So I hear) that works even remotely proper on consoles is Battle For Middle Earth 2

IvorB

If you are serious: there is about 0,1% chance. TW games are meant to be played with keyboard and mouse.
The only RTS (So I hear) that works even remotely proper on consoles is Battle For Middle Earth 2

I can't imagine it'd be fun playing TW with a controller.

PS4 has a track pad remember? Surely there is a way...

I'm converting my Mac for this so I'm not that bothered but it's a ball ache. Would be great to just play it on PS4.

FACE

Banned
PS4 has a track pad remember? Surely there is a way...

I'm converting my Mac for this so I'm not that bothered but it's a ball ache. Would be great to just play it on PS4.

I can't imagine what sort of compromises would have to be made for this to work with a controller, even if it has a trackpad. Besides, their audience is on PC and that's what they should prioritize.

Atilac

I too have a 955 but I remain optimistic.. I hope my 7870 picks up his slack! Maybe I will need to give my 955 some OC juice to make things better tho
Phenom II x4 955 BE? That's what I have, and an AMD 7870. I can run shogun 2 fall of the samurai at a pretty good fps at max settings (sans AA). Any word on how well Rome 2 will run?

valouris

Phenom II x4 955 BE? That's what I have, and an AMD 7870. I can run shogun 2 fall of the samurai at a pretty good fps at max settings (sans AA). Any word on how well Rome 2 will run?

Exactly the same, but my 955 is untouched so far.

No word, but I am expecting to be underwhelmed at first, and satisfied with a patch at some time in the future. I am willing to compromise some unit detail and shadow quality for smooth gameplay and smooth image quality and some nice effects.

In my favor is the fact that I game on a 1680x1050 , monitor. Overall I have my fingers crossed, we'll know soon enough!

Kinyou

What are the chances on getting a demo post launch? Give how there usually is a demo for total war games I was kind of expecting one for Rome 2

valouris

What are the chances on getting a demo post launch? Give how there usually is a demo for total war games I was kind of expecting one for Rome 2

Pretty slim I'd say.. with a game with so much hype, I guess they wouldn't want the urge to play to be quenched by a demo, and they would be looking for that impulse buy, imo. A demo would probably hurt their sales at this point.

valouris

Dude on twitch could play at 30fps on ultra with a gtx670 and I7 while streaming. 40-60fps while not streaming.

I'm sure it will get better over time, but still that is not too bad. Apparently there is a setting above ultra, "extreme" though. I guess the extra sauce above Shogun 2 is mostly there.

Pinktaco

There is. He had a few options on extreme and others completely off I believe. So yeah one will probably have to tweak the options a bit, but I don't think it's as bad as some feared

Kinyou

Pretty slim I'd say.. with a game with so much hype, I guess they wouldn't want the urge to play to be quenched by a demo, and they would be looking for that impulse buy, imo. A demo would probably hurt their sales at this point.
Hm, maybe there'll be one in a few months but around that time I'll probably buy the game anyway.

Twinduct

Hm, maybe there'll be one in a few months but around that time I'll probably buy the game anyway.

Well most of the major bugs should be fixed by then.

Edit: Been watching volound's playthrough of Shogun 2 all day ... Like no joke, it's been like close to atleast 9 hours :S

I think I might actually enjoy watching someone play rather than actually playing

Martian

CA has stated that they won't bring out any Demo's, which kind of sucks. They are always a great way of checking if your pc can handle it

Top Bottom