• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

FACE

Banned
This leaves me a little concerned. The AA is just shown as "on", rather than the 2/4/8x options from Shogun 2. Does the game just use 2x MSAA or FXAA only?

Usually AA "on" means some sort of shitty PPAA, ugh. I expected better from CA.

Image fix.

total_war_rome_2_gpu_vwsyb.png

Wow....

If the top of the line card isn't reaching 60 FPS at 1080...I have concerns now. Still have my dual 6950s that should get near 30, but then again I have a 1440 monitor...cry:( Maybe an optimization patch is on the way.

Anyone concerned that a lot of the easily recognizable review sites are giving this game between a 7 and an 8? Seems like there is a lot of "good but nothing new, could be a lot better."

Anyone concerned that a lot of the easily recognizable review sites are giving this game between a 7 and an 8? Seems like there is a lot of "good but nothing new, could be a lot better."

Not really, all of them still said it was worth playing but open to improvement and patches could add features and fix problems that are evident. The writer of the PCGamesN review who gave it a 7 even said he was going right back to the game later that day to continue his campaigns. 7 and 8s really aren't bad scores, not that it matters anyway.

Sure, but I've come to realize I don't care much about reviews for Total War games. Good or bad. I've enjoyed everything CA has done since the original Rome so maybe I'm just easy to please. Even if Rome II is buggy as long as its not game breaking, crash to desktop sort of bugs, I'll be content.

I enjoyed the hell out of Empire at launch and only later realized that apparently a lot of people hated it. Oh well. I'm easy to please with Total War games I guess.

Not really, all of them still said it was worth playing but open to improvement and patches could add features and fix problems that are evident. The writer of the PCGamesN review who gave it a 7 even said he was going right back to the game later that day to continue his campaigns. 7 and 8s really aren't bad scores, not that it matters anyway.

Didn't say it was a bad score, just lower then many would expect.

Also, after watching those DiplexHatred videos, why they look good, have some hang ups. Which wouldn't bug me if he didn't say he recorded them on a ~6,000 dollar computer (mind you in Sweden so inflated but still...).

On top of the battle AI concerns, I'm now concerned performance will be very shoddy if you aren't on a brand new system.

Surfheart

So I just got a code from greenman gaming, but Steam says it's invalid. Is that because the game is not available yet?

Edit: Nevermind I'm stupid.

Lingitiz

There's been like two 7/10 scores so far, so no I'm not that concerned. The RPS write up basically told me what I needed.

The Joystiq review was kinda odd to me though. Similar to their EU4 review, they cited the difficult learning curve as the main negative.

Gaz_RB

Yeah I feel like inaccessibility has been listed as a negative. A few seemed want it more simple and streamlined, and docked points because of it.

I don't, so that's fine with me.

There's been like two 7/10 scores so far, so no I'm not that concerned. The RPS write up basically told me what I needed.

The Joystiq review was kinda odd to me though. Similar to their EU4 review, they cited the difficult learning curve as the main negative.
Complaining about complexity in a grand strategy game sure is ridiculous.

Yeah I feel like inaccessibility has been listed as a negative. A few seemed want it more simple and streamlined, and docked points because of it.

I don't, so that's fine with me.

Who did that other than joystiq? Far more reviews have actually complained about the streamlining done to the game and how the strategic elements and world map should be more complex than they are.

No, because I think the TW games do vary from 7-9, depending on a lot of factors, and that 'but nothing new, could be a lot better' applies to pretty much every TW game after the original Rome.

Going to bed guys; enjoy the first rush. I'll boot this baby first thing as I open my eyes still half in bed

Carthage will burn. After some sleep

Gaz_RB

Who did that other than joystiq? Far more reviews have actually complained about the streamlining done to the game and how the strategic elements and world map should be more complex than they are.

Yeah I should have just said joystiq+ comments I've been reading.

Hope it's not too streamlined.

cripterion

I took these from one of DiplexHeatedHD videos; his advice is not to turn "unlimited memory" on because it will hurt performance.

His specs put my concerns to rest; his game looks and runs fine! Even though my VC is a GTX650 but my rig is fine.

I hope it helps someone else out there to have an idea of what to expect.

LINK to Video:
http://youtu.be/nIXMeVKKybc

Hmmm these are his specs from his Youtube user info...

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 3930k Extreme

Motherboard: Asus Extreme IV

GPU: 2x GTX 680 Phantoms 4GB

RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator GT

HDD: 1TB WD VelociRaptor 1k

PSU: AX1200i Digital ATX

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011

Case: NZXT Switch 810

Screen: 2x Benq XL2410T

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Mouse: Razer Mamba

EAJAPAN

"So Spaniard, we shall go to Rome together and have bloody adventures. And the great whore will suckle us until we are fat and happy and can suckle no more. And then, when enough men have died, perhaps you will have your freedom."

My body is ready!!!!!!

vazel

Banned
I can't wait for this game to unlock, so I can play it for two hours, and then go back to playing World of Tanks.

Sibylus

Banned
If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and are already preloadead!

Gaz_RB

If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and are already preloadead!

That's hilarious, as I'm watching Gladiator right now waiting for my preload to unlock

So reviewers were playing(and taking screens) with shitty machines? If you're going to review the biggest PC exclusive of the year then you should at least have the decency to do so in a beastly rig.

I don't feel this way at all. mid range computers reflect the vast majority, and inherently one of the cornerstones about pc gaming is that everyones rigs are different. I don't think a review is only useful if it reflects titan performance.

But this in itself has it's limits as total war games often are unoptimized as crap at launch. we need some patches and some Nvidia drivers to see how this pans out.

F!ReW!Re

You bastards better put up some impressions / shots soon, I'm stuck at work until 17:00 this afternoon (It's 8:52 now :( )

demolitio

Triarii!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to get all hyped up on Steam and send stupid messages to each other, add "demolitio2". Just kidding, but seriously, if anyone ever wants to play online for even do a campaign, add me since I don't have many friends interested in TW since they're simple-minded fools.

And to think I was considering finishing my paper early.

If anyone wants to add me on Steam go for it, but keep in mind I plan on playing solo for a good while first to get reacquainted with systems.

cripterion

Running the benchmark now, graphics are glitchy as hell somehow and 36 fps average on i5 3570k and gtx670 sli. The graphics defaulted to extreme at 1080p.

and fucking hell will have to download some more as it defaulted to French language!

Top Bottom