• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Sibylus

Banned
I can't tell if you guys are being serious but I think it's absolutely great how into the lore you are! I'm getting my first gaming PC in 9 years soon and this is the first game I'm going to play. I was SERIOUSLY addicted to the first Medieval game & I can only imagine how much the Total War games have improved since then.

I have one question. With the original Medieval I preferred to play just using the world map & simulating the battles, probably because my PC let me down during the 3D battle mode. Can you still play the later Total War games this way?
The partisan hackery is all in good fun, but the lore is more factual than not, because lore is serious business (as it should be).

Speaking of, this was an excellent read (and very much topical):

9781400067022The%20Ghosts%20of%20Cannae%20by%20Robert%20Oconnell.jpg

The partisan hackery is all in good fun, but the lore is more factual than not, because lore is serious business (as it should be).

Speaking of, this was an excellent read (and very much topical):

9781400067022The%20Ghosts%20of%20Cannae%20by%20Robert%20Oconnell.jpg

I love all things ancient Roman so I want to read this. Where can I get it though?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Considering it's releasing at retail here in Australia tomorrow, Sega ought to have the game unlock at midnight AEST (i.e. just over an hour from now), but alas everybody who has purchased or will purchase a physical copy tomorrow morning is going to find that they can't play for several more hours.

Edit: Which brings to mind a point -- if developers/publishers are going to release a retail Steamworks game, then having it unlock at midnight on the day of release in the region is the most logical approach. I think Tomb Raider was the most recent game to do this.

Herne

I've read most of the recent books on Carthage and the Punic Wars (Adrian Goldsworthy, Richard Miles etc.) so to get into the mood for the game I had a look around to see if anything new had been released and I hit the jackpot - for some reason this book had been released in 2010 but I'd never caught it's release.

41xGVRoiT1L._SS500_.jpg

It's a pretty comprehensive look at Carthage, the city, the people, the culture and so on. I haven't gotten to the conflicts with Rome yet, having just gotten up to where he talks about the ascent of the Magonids, but it's a good read and I'm really enjoying it.

Speaking of Richard Miles, a great documentary which he hosts is Carthage - Roman Holocaust. Only just found this recently also, and it's good stuff.

valouris

Wow, these scores are pretty unexpected. Going for the clicks maybe? Main concern seems to be bugs and the "not all that new" argument. I am ok with the latter, the former will be fixed eventually.

Sethos

Banned
Wow, these scores are pretty unexpected. Going for the clicks maybe? Main concern seems to be bugs and the "not all that new" argument. I am ok with the latter, the former will be fixed eventually.

Seems normal for PC RTS games these days, for some reason.

Syf

Banned
Surprisingly low scores so far, and I usually agree with Eurogamer. Hm.. please don't disappoint me. :(

Still hyped!

The PCGamesN review is quite detailed in terms of the complaints listed against the game and the writer who I know is not one to do anything for clicks. Haven't read the other reviews yet but one shouldn't just call click bait.

And he talks about the diplomacy being comparatively simple and unfulfilling compared to the actual war elements. It's not a matter of "pew pew pew" He's a big fan of Paradox and their titles and he mentioned to me that Rome II just feels a bit boring in comparison in terms of the options and depth presented outside of battle. Which is to be expected to some degree but there should be more advancement at some point. Still a quite positive review in general.

valouris

The PCGamesN review is quite detailed in terms of the complaints listed against the game and the writer who I know is not one to do anything for clicks. Haven't read the other reviews yet but one shouldn't just call click bait.

Ye you're right, it was too hasty, especially since I haven't played the game myself.

How well do you know the guy? Is he a big TW fan, or just a strategy player, or what?

He and a few other moderators/writers from Dtoid created a website awesomeoutof10 about a year and a bit ago of which I've been a member since its creation. All of the people there have formed a pretty closeknit community(it has envolve chat) over the years which started on Dtoid's envolve chat system and some of us have met up at various events, chat on a daily basis and the like. He covers all of the Paradox titles for Dtoid so you've likely read some of his work at some point.

Edit:
Why are eurogamer putting up screenshots that appear to be on low settings? The textures look dreadful and worse than what I've seen elsewhere.

taoofjord

Seems like this is similar to recent Total War games in that it'll come into its own after it receives a few substantial patches.

That said, I'm disappointed in the simplified campaign map. Hopefully a future expansion fills that out.

Sethos

Banned
He and a few other moderators/writers from Dtoid created a website awesomeoutof10 about a year and a bit ago of which I've been a member since its creation. All of the people there have formed a pretty closeknit community(it has envolve chat) over the years which started on Dtoid's envolve chat system and some of us have met up at various events, chat on a daily basis and the like. He covers all of the Paradox titles for Dtoid so you've likely read some of his work at some point.

Still seems like a daft complaint considering Total War games have a massive focus on 3D combat, can't expect some elaborate and extremely deep campaign. Especially can't be compared to games that are nothing but a campaign map - Of course it's easier to focus on all the little campaign details when you have to do 1/8th of the work.

Total War is not the game you buy to get your Europa Universalis hard-on rubbed, common knowledge - Will never happen.

Martian

The music from the launch trailer sounds like ithas been heavily influenced by Inception's OST(the track Dream in particular)

Still seems like a daft complaint considering Total War games have a massive focus on 3D combat, can't expect some elaborate and extremely deep campaign. Especially can't be compared to games that are nothing but a campaign map - Of course it's easier to focus on all the little campaign details when you have to do 1/8th of the work.

Total War is not the game you buy to get your Europa Universalis hard-on rubbed, common knowledge - Will never happen.

Of course but the review doesn't really suggest it should either, the anecdote about him being a Paradox connoisseur was more to combat your pew pew pew comment :p The eurogamer review also mentions the diplomatic elements being a bit simple and some general simplifications across the board without anything to really make up for it so it's hardly a lone complaint.

And it seems to be a bit silly to belittle Paradox's work, one imagines that given the degree of complexity present in EU/Crusader Kings/etc just as much work goes into their games even if into different things. Not to mention their teams are comparatively tiny.

Twinduct

Seems it's mostly bugs that's been complained about (and smaller design decisions).
Assume most of this will be patched or fixed as time goes on.

Bugs also don't sound ground breaking, which is a good thing considering CA's histroy :p

Edit: Launch trailer is awesome!

diamount

Banned
Ahh, my copy didn't come today. Was hoping I'd be playing at 7-8am gmt. Oh well, it was only £25 and release date delivery was free so not complain.

FACE

Banned
Please don't put scores in spoiler tags, it's annoying.

Yet 2 points less than they gave Empire (lol) and Shogun 2.

Different reviewers.

Edit: I wonder if the Eurogamer reviewer was having performance issues and had to lower the settings or if he was just playing on a crappy PC.

Sethos

Banned
Anyone played Shogun 2 co-op campaign extensively? Really want to do a long ass co-op session with a friend but we have bad memories from Empire's retrofitted campaign that crashed all the time and Napoleon's wasn't too stable either.

Twinduct

Please don't put scores in spoiler tags, it's annoying.

Different reviewers.

I
completely
agree

Edit: I wonder if the Eurogamer reviewer was having performance issues and had to lower the settings or if he was just playing on a crappy PC.

Might be! I remeber not being able to get a solid 24 fps on ultra with Shogun 2 on launch. After the second DLC pack (when I came back) I'm running it at ultra with what I assume is a sleek 60 with almost the same hardware (More Ram and slightly OC's chip)

FACE

Banned
I
completely
agree

Might be! I remeber not being able to get a solid 24 fps on ultra with Shogun 2 on launch. After the second DLC pack (when I came back) I'm running it at ultra with what I assume is a sleek 60 with almost the same hardware (More Ram and slightly OC's chip)

I bought Shogun 2 when the DX11 patch came out and it nearly murdered my PC, lol.

I gotta say that a Total War game with the depth of a Paradox Grand Strategy game would be fucking brilliant.

Martian

People: please dont let opinions make you enjoy the game less.
Its personal, heck I enjoyed the hell out of AC1 and that was considered mediocre at best.

Sure its nice when a game gets a large support by reviewers, but it shouldnt make the game any less fun.

Enosh

hmm seems like the reviews mostly mention problems that are in the series since basically day 1 (bugs, some stupid AI shit and long ai turns latter on)

it's valid complaints and problems that should be fixed, but r2 is the only one in the series that had points docket for it (and from videos empire seemed to have much much worse ai behavior), guess reviewers finally became fed up with all of it?

Top Bottom