• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Pinktaco

Hole fu**... Just played a quick costume battle to test out some things. Picked a random army vs random army and mindlessly charged my units towards the normal AI. I flat out slaughtered them. They didn't counter-charge before it was too late.

I don't know if costume battles are broken or if this is normal gameplay, but that was ridiculouse.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Love how the AI even bothers to attack when it has like 20 units, 1000 of my army against 20 :lol

Hole fu**... Just played a quick costume battle to test out some things. Picked a random army vs random army and mindlessly charged my units towards the normal AI. I flat out slaughtered them. They didn't counter-charge before it was too late.

I don't know if costume battles are broken or if this is normal gameplay, but that was ridiculouse.
Pretty much like this.

I meant like steam workshop with the mods and all. I just dont want another Shogun 2 fiasco where it takes way too long to implement mods
I see, I doubt CA would release the mod tools before they done selling their DLCs.

Edit: Or adding major mod support like the workshop.

Martian

I see, I doubt CA would release the mod tools before they done selling their DLCs.

Edit: Or adding major mod support like the workshop.

They did with Shogun 2, and that seemed to work well. And besides, doesn't CA/Steam control what kind of mods hit the workshop? I don't think the Workshop has the Segikahara campaign for S2

Random question but what do people think of the siege battles in this game?

I haven't played a TW since Medieval 2, mainly because I just plain hated the siege battles. The field battles were the thing I really liked in the TW games. You get to use your archers and your cavalry and positioning is important and the terrain is different each time. By contrast sieges were a very linear repetitive attritional slog.

This was mainly a problem because of the campaign map changes that made sieges happen more often. In the first two games you had to have a field battle to defend a province, if you retreat to the castle you would lose buildings and starving defenders out only took a few turns. I suppose some people didn't like this since it meant there was rarely any incentive for the attacker to storm the castle but I thought they moved too far in the other direction in the newer games. In Rome and Medieval 2 I remember almost always opting to attack cities since conquest would take forever otherwise and beating armies in the field never seemed to accomplish that much since enemy factions seem to regenerate defenders quickly anyway.

In fact I remember on Medieval campaign where I just made armies with catapults and the best infantry I could afford and would just target weakly held provinces and storm them on the first turn, avoiding field battles altogether. It was lame as hell but kind of worked.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
That feel when your game crashes, load up the save and it takes 4 turns to do what you did in 1.

Pinktaco

Ugh.. my biggest issue with the 1 year turn isn't that your general might die sooner than expected, no it's that he almost always dies way before your agents. WTF? Why would generals die more to natural causes than agents? I'm on my third agent with an age of 70+ and yet my generals die left and right. I've had 2 generals die on two turns. That's just absurd.

One would think the generals would somehow living better than a simple spy, but no.

If your generals could have a better succes to be 70-year-old then it would be a none-issue most of the time since you can get generals from the age of 20 which would potentially give you 50 turns worth of killing.

For now though my generals die at the age of 40-50 while my level 9 spy lulz around in the same army giving the finger to everybody and their mother since they'll outlive both of them anyway.

Patch 1 Note
Here are the patch notes for Total War: ROME II Patch 1 (due for release on 06/09/2013):
For additional information on improving graphical performance visit this thread.

• Higher average frame rates with out-of-the-box settings (more conservative settings)
• Fix for DirectX 10.0 Lighting issue reported - environment map wasn't being created leading to black reflections.
• Fixed a sunken Samothrace temple complex world wonder on the Campaign map.
• Fixed defender being able to create encampments when involved in a combined battle.
• Added some localisation fixes to audio packs in French, Russian, Italian, German and Spanish.
• Fixed lock up in Multiplayer Campaign battles when a desynchronisation occurs. Players are now notified of the desynchronisation, and the battle ends.
• Fixed Multiplayer Campaign battle "overrun" prompt, which was not being shown to a player if they were a reinforcement and the other player was spectating.
• Fixed corrupt loading screen when changing to fullscreen / windowed mode after a battle, and then going into another battle.
• Fix for Multiplayer Campaign host being unable to move the camera in campaign, after reloading a save game on some rare occasions.
• Safe guards added to prevent a very rare crash in coastal assault battles.
• Fix for game lock up during end turn sequence / Celtic AI faction turn in single player campaign.
• Improved AI use of walls on Athens large settlement battle map.
• Improvements to Auto-resolve balancing in Single Player and Multiplayer Campaign modes.
• Aligned ship unit upkeep costs with land units - made mercenary ships more expensive and non-mercenary ships cheaper.
• Fixed slow turning rates for transport ships.
• Improved civil war balancing in relation to campaign difficulty.
• Fixed vehicle ground pipes, to prevent Siege Towers becoming immovable when they are left empty during the Deployment Phase of a Siege Battle, then units were moved into the Siege Tower when the battle has started.
• Fixed bug when ramming sideways into moving ship, which caused the ramming ship stick to target and strafe along with it in battles.
• Reduced the chance of Naval units sometimes clipping through the ground or harbours / ports during Port Assault battles when attempting to disembark.
• Fixed issue where armies would be stuck in Muster stance and could not exit that stance in Campaign modes.
• Fixed case where spies could get stuck on top of fleets in Campaign modes.
• Fixed rare post battle lockup in Campaign modes.
• Improved unit pathfinding in Barbarian village battle maps (fixed no go zones).
• Fix for Multiplayer Campaign lock up when the player was reinforcing an AI ally who was victorious in battle, causing the player to become stuck with no victory / continue / exit battle user interface functionality.
• Fix for cultural influence bonus from the Shrine of Neptune building
• Fix for “Zone of Controls” of hidden armies being visible to both players in head to head Multiplayer Campaign mode on mouse-over.
• Assorted minor fixes to city battle maps.
• Fix for "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day" achievement failing to unlock when its requirements were met in some situations.
Edit: It was the note for the beta patch, should be the same though.
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/80662-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-Information-on-Patch-1-Beta-Testing

Herne

Mine is updating but the speed keeps dropping back to nothing. Assuming the servers are being hit rather heavily, but they should've accounted for that.

Lach

Reduced the chance of Naval units sometimes clipping through the ground or harbours / ports during Port Assault battles when attempting to disembark.

I love how they just reduced the chance, not actually fixing it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm seeing a mild but definitely present and noticeable improvement in FPS on the campaign map. Especially when processing other player turns. Previously that would typically drop to like single digits, now it's at like 15.

Will try a battle too.

Inversive

Ugh.. my biggest issue with the 1 year turn isn't that your general might die sooner than expected, no it's that he almost always dies way before your agents. WTF? Why would generals die more to natural causes than agents? I'm on my third agent with an age of 70+ and yet my generals die left and right. I've had 2 generals die on two turns. That's just absurd.

One would think the generals would somehow living better than a simple spy, but no.

If your generals could have a better succes to be 70-year-old then it would be a none-issue most of the time since you can get generals from the age of 20 which would potentially give you 50 turns worth of killing.

For now though my generals die at the age of 40-50 while my level 9 spy lulz around in the same army giving the finger to everybody and their mother since they'll outlive both of them anyway.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618096-Released-2-turns-per-year-4-turns-per-year

cripterion

After the patch, all settings set to Ultra, @1080P, x16AF, SSAO and alpha vegetation= Off, DoF = high, unlimited video memory = On
8137B90B5E43812F94BD068F7A0C38450F624FF4

And with settings set to Extreme and SSAO on

What's your video card/cpu? And I'm getting better performance but it's still kind of fucked. Re-ran the benchmark a second time with vegetation alpha on(everything else on/at max) and got better performance. Went from a 32 FPS average to a 34 FPS average, so weird.

I have a 4GB(it still only reconizes 3080MBs) GTX670 and i53570K

cripterion

What's your video card/cpu? And I'm getting better performance but it's still kind of fucked. Re-ran the benchmark a second time with vegetation alpha on(everything else on/at max) and got better performance. Went from a 32 FPS average to a 34 FPS average, so weird.

I have a 4GB(it still only reconizes 3080MBs) GTX670 and i53570K

i5 3570K too @4.2ghz, 16GB of ram and GTX670 SLI but only 2GB. Game is installed on Samsung 830 SSD.

Herne

Campaign map has improved, though there is still a noticeable stutter when I click in and out of diplomacy. Have yet to try a battle, but I imagine that smoke still causes it to slow down to the lower single digits (i5 2500, 12GB, Radeon 6870).

Ah ok, the vegetation alpha 'boost" was my fault. Didn't actually save the setting so it didn't run with it.

Still,weird that the benchmark gets such massive variations in average framerate.

Benchmark really doesn't reflect real game performance, especially big siege battles :/

You're right, it's several times worse in the real battles :/

I get around 15-20 FPS in the historical Carthage battle. It's absurd, looks like I might put the game on the backburner. Got EUIV to play, Pikmin 3 to beat, and many other games that currently work to enjoy.

i5 3570K too @4.2ghz, 16GB of ram and GTX670 SLI but only 2GB. Game is installed on Samsung 830 SSD.

Do you have your second 670 turned on?

I'm still waiting for Nvidia's drivers / SLI profile. Not happy, considering this is one of the biggest PC releases...and AMD have theirs out already.

Kainazzo

I'm still waiting for Nvidia's drivers / SLI profile. Not happy, considering this is one of the biggest PC releases...and AMD have theirs out already.

I've heard SLI ultimately lies with CA, but if AMD was able to get Xfire support, then I'm hopeful.

Good lord can I not wait to get out of Africa. SO many spear levies and slingers! Winning against 8:1 odds on hard time and time again is fun though.

cripterion

Yup, it's getting 7-9% usage sitting at 40°C. The other one is at 99% usage heating up to 72°C at times :/

valouris

I am imagining meetings full of embarrassing moments with nvidia tech gurus trying to understand why the game runs like shit and trying to improve it :p

Merino

Nope, not for me at least. Rome 2 still doesnt even start here without a no-cd crack. Empire always worked for me.
Empire never booted for ALOT of people.

Any true TW/CA fan has come to accept horrible launches and mediocre vanilla gameplay. Lets just hope mods and patches make a worthy Rome 2

valouris

Hi everyone and thanks for your attention.

We just wanted to reassure you that we do know it’s an extremely annoying and frustrating time for some of you at the moment and we are working around the clock to sort out those issues that you are having. The first patch has just gone up - it's not trouble-free we know and are fixing with a hotfix, but there will be another next week and every week after that till the problems are gone.

At the moment it may seem that the changes are slight, but they aren’t the only ones we are working on currently and bigger changes are happening now for future patches.

If you are having a problem, it is totally unacceptable and a big deal for us, please know that we are spending all our dev effort on fixing outstanding issues.

I realise in our rush to do that we haven’t updated you on the situation, so if you are interested, please read on.

Scale of launch issues
First and foremost let me say that if even one person has a problem running the game we would want to fix it, this is why we’ve set up 24 hour support and if you post in the support forums you will get an answer or discover a solution that’s already posted for your issue.

I appreciate that it doesn’t help to know this if you are somebody having an issue, but the vast majority of people are running the game without problems. At the moment we are seeing 2% of people playing reporting a technical issue. Let me be clear, that is 2% too many and we will be helping them into the game and working very hard to make sure they get the best possible experience.

To these people we are really very sorry that you are having problems, we really want to get you enjoying our game, please do take the time to post your issue in the Support Forum if there isn't a fix for you available in there already.

Technical Issues
ROME II is a big and complex game and, especially on PC, we are always conscious of the wide variety of different combinations of hardware out there and, while we do test extensively before launch, it is clear that we have failed some of you and we will look at the way in which launch games in the future. Again, I know this is scant comfort to you if you have a set-up that is not performing well, but we do intend to fix your specific problem – whoever you are and whatever it is - as soon as we can.

Many issues have been alleviated by the workarounds and system tweaks posted about in the Support Forum, please do head to this thread as your first port of call http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...support-forums, if your issue is not solved by stepping through these solutions please do post your issue in the Support Forum and one of the team will get back to you.

Gameplay Issues
If you have concerns on the actual features and mechanics, like gameplay balancing and AI behaviour, we do want to hear about them. As mentioned before launch we absolutely intend to support ROME II post-release with plenty of content, further development and comprehensive balancing through-out – and no I’m not thinking of DLC you have to pay for. We have already planned for some very interesting stuff and we wanted to do that with advice from the community.

Please do keep posting your concerns, our code team are focussing on tech issues to get people playing, but our design teams are very aware of your concerns and are already looking at ways to add further options and rebalance aspects of the game.

You will see our community team dropping into threads to ask questions, please do chat to them, but even if you don’t see a response please do know that we look at the forums every day here and do appreciate what you have to say.

Thank you for reading,

Mike Simpson

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/82496-Sorry-From-CA-Current-State-of-the-Game-and-What-Happens-Next

It's something. Especially good news about the design team.

I'm addicted to the cinematic cam.

edit: Hopefully after the technical stuff is largely addressed, they fix the game's design problems.

Kainazzo

Perhaps it's because I was keeping up with this on the official forum for over a year, but it's disheartening to see it change from positive hype to dismal negativity. No doubt the game has issues, but just knowing how much slander's being thrown towards the community reps and how they have to keep chipper regardless, and not to mention the likely upcoming all-nighters working on patches. Rough industry, though some of them have probably gotten used to it after multiple launches. Hopefully by next year it'll pull an Empire and be all fixed up. If they could fix that, then a Europa Universalis-sized Total War: WW1 might just work. Eventually.

If the expansion keeps the same engine build like Fall of the Samurai did, then it should be markedly more stable, since the fixes should just port over.

Hari Seldon

Perhaps it's because I was keeping up with this on the official forum for over a year, but it's disheartening to see it change from positive hype to dismal negativity. No doubt the game has issues, but just knowing how much slander's being thrown towards the community reps and how they have to keep chipper regardless, and not to mention the likely upcoming all-nighters working on patches. Rough industry, though some of them have probably gotten used to it after multiple launches. Hopefully by next year it'll pull an Empire and be all fixed up. If they could fix that, then a Europa Universalis-sized Total War: WW1 might just work. Eventually.

If the expansion keeps the same engine build like Fall of the Samurai did, then it should be markedly more stable, since the fixes should just port over.

Man if somehow EU and TW got combined such that the campaign map was all EU and the tactical battles could be played out TW style, that would be a dream game.

Top Bottom