• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Merino

Man if somehow EU and TW got combined such that the campaign map was all EU and the tactical battles could be played out TW style, that would be a dream game.
No thanks. I much prefer TW campaign over EU.
Hopefully Dominion of the Sword mod will eventually be released for Medieval 2. Have been anticipating that mod for years now.

valouris

Also, this was posted in the TWCenter forums, not sure if true, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

I think that letter is a good sign. Not many who only read the general discussion forum may know it, but CA already released the raw data files to us modders to help speed up the decoding process and also - and that was a really surprising move - a step by step instruction how to make minor factions playable in ROME 2!

Merino

Also, this was posted in the TWCenter forums, not sure if true, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be.
Supporting modders is really the best road CA can take.

It's strange that after the amazingly moddable Medieval 2 Kingdoms (and even straight up hiring Jack Lusted partially due to his modding efforts) they managed to fuck up the modding scene for their next 4 releases.

I really hope CA will make this game the most moddable TW ever. It only serves to better the game, series and fan base.

A.Romero

I have max armies

Ferguson reveals that beating a campaign in Rome 2 isn’t just about conquering a set number of territories. “Each faction has their own military, economic and cultural victory conditions. And there’s no set time limit on achieving victory.” Players only need to achieve one condition to win the game

http://www.pcgamesn.com/totalwar/total-war-rome-2-hands-new-endgame/page/0/1

It seems it depends on what faction you are playing as.

In my playthrough Arminium got leveled by 4 earthquakes in less than 50 turns, maybe a bug? Someone else noticed this?

It's eerie as hell.

isual

In my playthrough Arminium got leveled by 4 earthquakes in less than 50 turns, maybe a bug? Someone else noticed this?

It's eerie as hell.

Only had it twice. It's probably a random thing.

Also, one two things that were family events occurred to me, one was a daughter and her gallivanting ways (sent her to become a priestess which worked out) and the other i forgot .

Where do I check the requierement of winning for each faction ? I can't find it in game

edit : oooh it's in the new campaign screen there are tabs for each faction

DrWong

Just wanted to say it's a great OT title.

Didn't play the game yet but will start next week and what's cool is that 5 of my co-workers are also playing it. Multiplayer sessions at lunch time - and we're allowed to take our time - should be fun.

demolitio

Man, artillery is as satisfying as ever. One ballista unit is enough to really fuck up a defending army's day and explosive rounds are great considering the AI likes to group their units up in one big mess anyway.

I had a scorpion unit that I just set to attack one specific unit and completely forgot about it knowing that it was going to make that unit route eventually and sure enough, it did.

Aranath

Where do I check the requierement of winning for each faction ? I can't find it in game

edit : oooh it's in the new campaign screen there are tabs for each faction

If you want to check during a campaign, there's a button at the bottom of the screen immediately to the right of the faction button with an image of a trophy that gives you your various objectives. Click it and then there are three different tabs. The rightmost tab is for the end-game goals.

Kainazzo

A quick Google search didn't turn up anything, but are black-and-white unit portraits in the encyclopedia a known issue? Since the images appear be stored online, I'd figured they'd temporarily changed them to reduce bandwidth.

If you want to check during a campaign, there's a button at the bottom of the screen immediately to the right of the faction button with an image of a trophy that gives you your various objectives. Click it and then there are three different tabs. The rightmost tab is for the end-game goals.

so you must fill ALL requierement of ONE tab in order to win ? My god...

DrTeflon

Is there any good aa solution for this? Don't care running on medium but I just can't stand the aa that's available atm. Smaa, sweetfx, something?

Hargenx

It's sad how easy we can break the AI on this, the SHOGUN 2 has some bad flaws and now appears to be WORSE...LOL

But is still fun, I don't know why but I just love playing this shit...LOL

Pinktaco

So I just grapped Rome as the Britons. Apparently they were dealing with a heavy army of rebellions in their south so they we're completely starved of soldiers. Needless to say I could auto-resolve my way through all of Italy with little to no resistance. Kind of disapointing really since I haven't really encountered any actual treath for a long time.

For now everything appears to have slowed to a crawl city building wise since squalor and food is finally becoming a problem.

This also means that I'll have to priorizite upcoming upgrades to cities where I'll get the most out of them.

Is it likely that the end turn will be patched and won't result in me waiting forever for the enemies to play?(AI moves off but still takes too long) Has it been done in previous TW?

Dmax3901

So I don't remember Rome II downloading anything and even when I opt into the beta it doesn't download anything either and yet I can still play the game... Did it just patch without me noticing?

I swear my friend's computer is defying physics right now. I mean it's new (built over the summer), but not the absolute top of the line and he's getting frequent batches of smooth 60 FPS in with Extreme graphical settings. I have his same graphics card and similar CPU but am getting nowhere near the same performance, similarly to nearly everyone echoing their experiences with shitty performance.

currently on my 95th turn and the game constantly crashes multiple times during the turn phase... nothing seems to fix it and i can't proceed or go back... looks like the game is fucked

i tried
changing the graphic settings to low and it doesn't seem to help
restarting my computer
updating graphic drivers

Sober

I swear my friend's computer is defying physics right now. I mean it's new (built over the summer), but not the absolute top of the line and he's getting frequent batches of smooth 60 FPS in with Extreme graphical settings. I have his same graphics card and similar CPU but am getting nowhere near the same performance, similarly to nearly everyone echoing their experiences with shitty performance.

Just got my new 1440P monitor. Anyone with a 7970 around here? Solid 60 I'm hoping.
It's a bit of a lottery unfortunately. Definitely going to be waiting for more patches (weekly sounds optimistic) but I'm sorta hoping for a big UI overhaul from modders or something; the current UI is kinda a huge step back from Shogun 2.

On that end, I might just jump back into S2 instead, maybe finish my ROTS campaign or something in the meanwhile...

FGMPR

Banned
I'm playing as Rome and I have a bunch of Etruscan spies and *can't remember agent type name* causing havok on my defending armies, but no matter what I try, I can't kill them or convince them to come over to my side, even though my spy is giving me a 90% chance of doing so. I've tried about 15 times now @90% (spending thousands whilst doing so) and they are still there assassinating my generals.

This is fucking ridiculous.

edit: And I agree with the above post about the UI. It's an abomination; not just because of its determination to hide usual information behind tiny buttons and to waste loads of screen space, but also because they had it spot-on for Shogun 2. It's mind-boggling to me how that kind of regression could of possibly come about.

So i played Europa Barbarorum for years and years, its easily my most played game of all time. Rome 2 though... wow.. I went on a media blackout, and I regret that. I have no fucking clue whats happening half the time. How the hell do i manage public order? In RTW and mods each city had its own window with everything to do with that city there, ie unit production, buildings, taxation etc. I hate this faction wide taxation level crap, and i have no idea what buildings to build, or what the general public order is. Its red, but has like a green change number? Whats that?

So i played Europa Barbarorum for years and years, its easily my most played game of all time. Rome 2 though... wow.. I went on a media blackout, and I regret that. I have no fucking clue whats happening half the time. How the hell do i manage public order? In RTW and mods each city had its own window with everything to do with that city there, ie unit production, buildings, taxation etc. I hate this faction wide taxation level crap, and i have no idea what buildings to build, or what the general public order is. Its red, but has like a green change number? Whats that?
You'll have to just roll with it and learn the game, restart if you are not content with your current playthrough.

danthefan

Anyone else struggling a bit to get their economy going? I'm taking in about 2000 per turn which is enough to train maybe 3 units or build one building, which is slowing things down like mad. I've a good few trade partners too, so it's not lack of trade, my empire is just not generating enough money. Any tips?

isual

Anyone else struggling a bit to get their economy going? I'm taking in about 2000 per turn which is enough to train maybe 3 units or build one building, which is slowing things down like mad. I've a good few trade partners too, so it's not lack of trade, my empire is just not generating enough money. Any tips?

lower taxes. I've had the tax rate on the lowest since the 4th turn.

I'm 211 turns in already.

Emmm, won't that make me take in less money?
Low taxes stimulate growth. Growth increases population to produce more buildings. To get more money you could always invade and loot a city!
Personally I keep tax around the middle and keep public order down with buildings, agent actions and General bonuses.
Also the Patrician/Dignitary agent can increase tax collection in a province.

danthefan

Low taxes stimulate growth. Growth increases population to produce more buildings. To get more money you could always invade and loot a city!
Personally I keep tax around the middle and keep public order down with buildings, agent actions and General bonuses.
Also the Patrician/Dignitary agent can increase tax collection in a province.

Fair enough. I'm still relatively early in the game (34 turns) but I'm in a period of relative peace, I think I'm going to try stopping all recruitment for a few turns and invest it all in economic type buildings.

Then I might go loot a city.

I'm playing as Rome and I have a bunch of Etruscan spies and *can't remember agent type name* causing havok on my defending armies, but no matter what I try, I can't kill them or convince them to come over to my side, even though my spy is giving me a 90% chance of doing so. I've tried about 15 times now @90% (spending thousands whilst doing so) and they are still there assassinating my generals.
I tried killing an army's general with my spy for about 20 turns, with a chance of around 60%. Failed every time. In fact, none of my spies have ever killed anyone, the best they've managed is a wound, and that was only once.

isual

Fair enough. I'm still relatively early in the game (34 turns) but I'm in a period of relative peace, I think I'm going to try stopping all recruitment for a few turns and invest it all in economic type buildings.

Then I might go loot a city.

focus on one point expanding. anyways, after 60 hours and about 2/3 of the map conquered as rome. I'm done with rome. will wait for the eventual patches to get the game optimized.

in the meanwhile I'll probably do a short sparta run since that's next on my list then go back to sc2 and mh3u.

I tried killing an army's general with my spy for about 20 turns, with a chance of around 60%. Failed every time. In fact, none of my spies have ever killed anyone, the best they've managed is a wound, and that was only once.

that's...weird. I've been able to kill generals and spies (occasionally) but most of the time they get wounded. It's the spy I believe that disrupts armies, while the champion sabotages and poisons.

Also, are you guys playing on normal ?

Herne

In my current game I'm in something like 93 bc (I really have to get that mod, this game runs much too fast through time), playing as the Arverni, and despite a peaceful reign over Gallic provinces, despite not building anything that would reduce public order and not touching the taxes in any way - in fact, I've reduced them - several Gallic cities now have terrible public order.

Why, all of a sudden? I have not suffered any defeats, they have plenty of food and like I said, I avoided building anything that would reduce public order if I could help it. I really wish the game would give me more information than "your public order is low".

valouris

In my current game I'm in something like 93 bc (I really have to get that mod, this game runs much too fast through time), playing as the Arverni, and despite a peaceful reign over Gallic provinces, despite not building anything that would reduce public order and not touching the taxes in any way - in fact, I've reduced them - several Gallic cities now have terrible public order.

Why, all of a sudden? I have not suffered any defeats, they have plenty of food and like I said, I avoided building anything that would reduce public order if I could help it. I really wish the game would give me more information than "your public order is low".

There is detailed explanation of +/- public order in every province when you hit the details button, if I remember correctly it is the third button on the bottom :)

danthefan

I've found that letting a province rebel isn't actually a terrible thing. The rebel army will form on the map, you can crush it because it'll probably be full of plebs, and the region will then get a decent happiness boost because all the malcontents will be dead.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
There is detailed explanation of +/- public order in every province when you hit the details button, if I remember correctly it is the third button on the bottom :)

Easiest way is to click on any town/city in a province and then mouse over the public order rating on the bottom left of the screen.

KugelBlitz

Neo Member
Dont bother reading reviews on sites. Most of them arent worth the pageviews.

I personally thought the Guardian's review of the game was pretty accurate...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/06/total-war-rome-ii-review

Especially this;

Rome II feels like an unfinished game. It is a cruel fact that if you pick this up in a Steam sale in six months' time you'll get a much better experience, and the people who were foolish enough to put their faith and money upfront get the worst of it.

Those feels...

Top Bottom