• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Despera

Banned
I was about to buy Shogun 2 a few days ago, but decided to check out the wiki page first. I was surprised to see a new Total War was coming out so soon.

Guess this will be my first Total War game :)

I was about to buy Shogun 2 a few days ago, but decided to check out the wiki page first. I was surprised to see a new Total War was coming out so soon.

You should still get Shogun 2. It's a work of art.

Gaz_RB

I have a i7 2630qm and a gt540m. ran shogun 2 on medium with ultra units fine.

Yeah I could run Shogun 2 with an i5 2430m and a GT 555m about the same. Should be able to manage Rome decently, not really a huge graphics aficionado anyway.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Why oh why can't the creative assembly release this early for the Holiday :(, I'm so sad thinking of all the free time I have tomorrow that won't go towards Rome: total war 2. AND THEN IT'S BACK TO UNIVERSITY THE NEXT DAY!

Lach

Agreed, practically the only Carthaginian family whose exploits were such that they earned a last fuckin' name.

Pah! Hanno the Great was so Great that he didn't need a last name! And if Hannibal wouldn't have fucked things up and went trampelling all around italy carthage would still be around today!!!!

Martian

Hmm kind of worried. My key has yet to ship, and my internet can handle like 1 megabite a second. I hope I get it in time so I can play it at the release.

I just realized it unlocks at 7pm at my time, so I dont have to compromise college:)

Herne

Because the Magonids and the naval element of the First Punic War with what was then the biggest battles at sea, with an estimated 300+ ships on either side in several battles, fighting for twenty years. Hannibal and the Barcids are awesomesauce, and I will be playing as those, but at some point I'll be giving the Magonids a go, and I can understand why some would want to pick them first.

Saganator

This will be the first Total War game I don't get day one (not counting expansions). Overall I've been happy with the Total War series, but there is always so much DLC and the expansions always improve on the base game, I think I'll just wait this one out and get everything after all the bugs are worked out. Hoping the AI had more improvements.

Lach

Just one more day to wait, tomorrow will be a good day!

Damn my coworkers and their holiday! Was planning on taking tomorrow off on short-term, only to come to work today and see that most of my collegues are off on holiday, so my boss can't give me the day off!

Aw well....long nights incoming!

Sibylus

Banned
Pah! Hanno the Great was so Great that he didn't need a last name! And if Hannibal wouldn't have fucked things up and went trampelling all around italy carthage would still be around today!!!!
Ah yes, the mighty and renowned Hanno. All three of them.

Imagine all the Hannos the Great that are lost to history, who I can only presume fell to crafty desert tumbleweeds and heated political feuds with their geriatric political counterparts.

F!ReW!Re

Don't know if this was posted yet, but they released a how-to-play guide for newer (and not so new) players;

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/How_To_Play

Getting Started
Choosing Your Faction
Basic Movement Controls
Researching Technology
Advanced Movement Controls

Advancing in your Campaign
Minor and Major Building Management
Economy and Trade Basics
Political Management
Agents and Actions

Armies, Battles and Unit Abilities
Combat Controls
Unit Actions
Cavalry Actions
Naval Attacks
Fortifications
Special Abilities

Some more stuff to watch while waiting for the release tomorrow!

Lach

Imagine all the Hannos the Great that are lost to history, who I can only presume fell to crafty desert tumbleweeds and heated political feuds with their geriatric political counterparts.

Exactly! Thank you!
Hanno the Great (one of them) was the one that prevented the destruction of Carthage (or Qart-Hadasht as I like to call it) TWICE after the Father and Son Barca had fucked up!! He was the only one that recogniced that there is no way they could beat the eternal glory of rome!

He makes such a great villain!

Sibylus

Banned
Exactly! Thank you!
Hanno the Great (one of them) was the one that prevented the destruction of Carthage (or Qart-Hadasht as I like to call it) TWICE after the Father and Son Barca had fucked up!! He was the only one that recogniced that there is no way they could beat the eternal glory of rome!

He makes such a great villain!
And by prevent, you mean delay! Even the derided (at the time) Cunctator himself managed to save his city in the long run. That's the one major blemish I have to hold against Scipio, his ego wouldn't let him concede that Fabius had saved Rome long enough to pass the baton to a general who could fight Hannibal competently, and not on the Carthaginian's own terms.

Shogun got directly as my favorite game ever. The art is just incredible and the game is mighty interesting. Too bad it has a lot of bullshit (brutal realm divide, IA cheating and poping full arming out of nowhere with no time and no money and no production) and agents having crazy rolls and odds against you.

Play the game on easy or coop and you'll have a blast. Don't push the difficulty to much

Sethos

Banned
Can't wait to get stuck in. I mostly skipped Shogun 2 because I loathe the setting so I've been Total War starved for a long time. At least it'll tide me over until GTA 5.

Shady859

If you check your purchase history, you'll see:

Code:
[B]Item[/B]                                    [B]Acquisition method[/B]
Total War: Rome II Preorder             Gift/Guest Pass

There's no difference between a copy bought by yourself and a gift copy offered by someone else -- since the pre-order edition is the only edition available to buy on the store, it's the only one traders can offer.

Yes this, I have been using these resellers since discovering them earlier this year and have yet to not receive any bonus with my purchases. Most even specifically state what bonus comes with it.

However this traders ad has me wondering now although his is the only one not offering TF2 items for some reason and will provide the Greek States pack closer to launch.. His is listed as "key" FWIW and all others are gift copies.

Steam Key
*Total War: Rome II - $25
PM me if you're interested, thanks.

*Be aware, there are apparently some region restrictions with this game. See here. If you're outside of those regions, it's fine.

Spoiler
I will provide you with the Greek States Culture Pack closer to release. Also, note you will not receive the TF2 if you purchase through me.

And by prevent, you mean delay! Even the derided (at the time) Cunctator himself managed to save his city in the long run. That's the one major blemish I have to hold against Scipio, his ego wouldn't let him concede that Fabius had saved Rome long enough to pass the baton to a general who could fight Hannibal competently, and not on the Carthaginian's own terms.

I can't tell if you guys are being serious but I think it's absolutely great how into the lore you are! I'm getting my first gaming PC in 9 years soon and this is the first game I'm going to play. I was SERIOUSLY addicted to the first Medieval game & I can only imagine how much the Total War games have improved since then.

I have one question. With the original Medieval I preferred to play just using the world map & simulating the battles, probably because my PC let me down during the 3D battle mode. Can you still play the later Total War games this way?

Despera

Banned
Shogun got directly as my favorite game ever. The art is just incredible and the game is mighty interesting. Too bad it has a lot of bullshit (brutal realm divide, IA cheating and poping full arming out of nowhere with no time and no money and no production) and agents having crazy rolls and odds against you.

Play the game on easy or coop and you'll have a blast. Don't push the difficulty to much
I guess I'll go with easy for my first playthrough. Will definitely feel weird since nowadays I choose hard for most games.

But considering those faults with the game you just mentioned, I think I should skip Shogun 2 and play Rome instead, since it's highly possible they fixed a lot of elements.

Martian

I can't tell if you guys are being serious but I think it's absolutely great how into the lore you are! I'm getting my first gaming PC in 9 years soon and this is the first game I'm going to play. I was SERIOUSLY addicted to the first Medieval game & I can only imagine how much the Total War games have improved since then.

I have one question. With the original Medieval I preferred to play just using the world map & simulating the battles, probably because my PC let me down during the 3D battle mode. Can you still play the later Total War games this way?

Kind of a tough question to answer. Like you, I am more of a Campaign map kind of player. The autoresolve battle has been my friend for many years. But unfortunately since Empire, CA has made some weird choices.
In Medieval 2 or Rome you could easily play the game by autoresolving. But in the later games, the game had trouble estimating how powerful an army was.
I remember a bunch of times when I autoresolved a sure thing (lots of elite warriors versus a lot weaker units) and losing. Or winning the game, but with too many losses.

That said, I have no idea how autoresolve in R2will work, but I think it will be more of the same.
The Campaign map, however, has been greatly expanded literally and content wise.
So its better in some ways, and maybe worse in autoresolving battles.

Also: to the person above me: please dont skip Shogun on those terms. The AI cheating is the same as in the older games (a 1 province faction having stacks of units) and realm divide is like the Mongols/Timurids in M2 or the civil war in Rome 1. If you enjoyed those, you will enjoy S2.
And thats coming from someone who sucks at Total War and hates getting beat

Kind of a tough question to answer. Like you, I am more of a Campaign map kind of player. The autoresolve battle has been my friend for many years. But unfortunately since Empire, CA has made some weird choices.
In Medieval 2 or Rome you could easily play the game by autoresolving. But in the later games, the game had trouble estimating how powerful an army was.
I remember a bunch of times when I autoresolved a sure thing (lots of elite warriors versus a lot weaker units) and losing. Or winning the game, but with too many losses.

That said, I have no idea how autoresolve in R2will work, but I think it will be more of the same.
The Campaign map, however, has been greatly expanded literally and content wise.

Thanks for the response :)

It's a shame to hear about the autoresolving issue. With my new PC I'll be able to play the battles out in 3D but I'm not sure if that kind of micro-management gameplay will suit me. I guess the only way I'll find out is by trying it.

IvorB

I started re-watching the Rome TV show last night to get in the mood. Love me some Roman sh*t. Can't wait to play this.

By the way, if I don't hear this or a variation on the campaign map - Kittens will die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXQid4peS0

iwiRy198TC0ZQ.PNG

You'll not have me!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
However this traders ad has me wondering now although his is the only one not offering TF2 items for some reason and will provide the Greek States pack closer to launch.. His is listed as "key" FWIW and all others are gift copies.

Yeah, since he's selling a retail key, there are no TF2 items -- they're exclusively a Steam pre-purchase offer.

HariKari

I sure hope they haven't gone overkill on avoiding autoresolve. I generally hate playing out every single battle and only do it for battles that look like they'd be a blast; sieges or multiple armies joining a fight. The campaign map is so engrossing that I actually have bought the Total War games to play that aspect way more than any 3D battle development. You can put in a good amount of turns in the time it takes to fight one battle.

I also hope the game is mod friendly. I tend to like double the turns with the difficulty cranked up.

Will we get any reviews today?

From what I've read the review embargo is supposed to end today rather than tomorrow.

Got mine in the mail today too, can't we preload it from disk?

I'm in work at the moment so can't check.

You can't. Preloading and installing games on Steam is realized with two different systems. Sadly, your physical copies can only be used to install games. You can choose to wait for the game to unlock before installing from DVD or preload right now and use your bandwidth to download data you technically already have. It's unfortunate, but that is just how Steam's preload system works.

Loomba

Gonna check now. Will come back with a status update.
edit. Seems like it works, but not from Disk. I'm doing it from Steam.

Oh, I forgot you can just input the CD key into steam and download without the disk completely, I'll do that tonight, rather have it ready for the second it releases.

Top Bottom