• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes Vs. Women Episode 2 - Damsels In Distress Part [spoiler warning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

She is having a pretty blatant double discurse (Tropes are not bad and you shouldn't feel bad... bud the next cherry picked examples and images will shock your children and will make you feel bad) that seem to want to make you to take a side and not having an actual disscusion.

Well that's the point right? Not to have a discussion with her? The point is to put all the "evidence" on the table so we can come together and discuss what makes sense, what doesn't, if it'll ever change, and how it can change for the better. Because THAT'S the point of these videos, to build discussions whether you agree or not. Think she's full of shit? Say why, articulate it, don't just say "LOL FEMINISMS DUMB! WHAT A DUMB BITCH", which is what happens when youtube comments are on.

The point is that we're talking about this stuff at all, because we normally don't. Ever.

What's insulting? I sincerely doubt she's played most of the games in this second video, meaning she probably didn't use capture equipment.

You do realize she has 7 or 8 people working with her right?

You do know how stuff like this is made, don't you? It's not just her.

Because it isn't 'her books'. It's money donated towards the analysis of a topic. If she cares about truly analyzing this topic, she would spend the money bettering her analysis, or give it back. It isn't conceptually difficult to grasp, so I have no idea why it's beyond you.

That's not how it works. I don't know why you think that's how it works, but it's not.

But feminism is not the subject of Sarkeesian's work. I must be missing something. Her feminism is informing her critique. Her point of view is informing her critique. That is the whole point of criticism (well, of many schools of critical theory anyway).

That's exactly what I said. Feminism can't be the subject of someone's work. It's merely a point of view, which a poster early objected to.

So people can't claim that feminism can be held to rigor and analysis when feminism itself is just a point of view. It will just be a trivial analysis.

Tetra is "mentally incapable" of not being a complete brat, confirmed by statistics. Give me a break.

All you've confirmed is that you're unbelievably stubborn, and simply refuse to concede a single point, even when you're blatantly wrong.

Right. Tetra didn't cease to exist. Actually Zelda did. Literally the exact opposite of what you were trying to pass off here.

1. The argument was that TWW abandoned tropes. I responded by pointing out that it didn't because in the end, Tetra becomes the exact same character Zelda always is - in fact, she's weaker as Zelda than she was in OoT. It's a step backwards.

Say these words, please, if you believe in your argument:

Tetra is just as capable as Aragorn to make these major life and personality decisions.

Further, if you are to, please explain the evidence that even remotely suggests that.

2. She lost the Zelda exterior, and was in the game for five minutes before she fell into the DiD trope so quickly and handily. Yeah, Tetra's back alright.

Platy

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a 4th video, given the order of events.

I would not be so sure xD

I know this episode has been a little bit grim, but please join me next time for the 3rd and final installment covering the Damsel in Distress where we’ll take a look at some titles that attempt to flip the script on the damsel and then we’ll go on a quest to find some examples of the elusive “dude in distress” role reversal.

Because it isn't 'her books'. It's money donated towards the analysis of a topic. If she cares about truly analyzing this topic, she would spend the money bettering her analysis, or give it back. It isn't conceptually difficult to grasp, so I have no idea why it's beyond you.

There's no mechanism within Kickstarter for capping contributions or issuing refunds.

jimi_dini

Have you ever read youtube comments? Because I have and they are full of trollish, immature, dumb comment some even are personal attack on the person, so really how can you have a debate when the people commenting aren't mature enough to do it?

Granted she could block and remove the comment but that alone is a time consuming task.

Sure, most youtube comments are bad. But not every single one of them.

Why can't she just enable comments and ignore them personally?
Would troll comments hurt her video in some way or another? I don't think so.

ASIS

Deciding to keep it is massively telling, then. Did she, at any point, ask people to stop donating? If her goal was to truly do analysis on a subject, and she felt $6000 was sufficient, she would have donated anything exceeding that. She did have eternal stretch goals, at least going to $26,000 , so she clearly wasn't opposed to using the excess money. I think that this excess money should be used on furthering the core project, providing alternative views, or being donated to charity. I believe that, as a subject, introspective analysis like this isn't constructive.
Fine, then criticize her because her work doesn't reflect the $26000, but that's it. I agree that more money could help fund the project, but that's her call, not ours. What she wants to do with the rest is up to her entirely. It doesn't make her selfish, doesn't make her less capable, doesn't tell anything other than the fact that she took money she didn't ask for, but people gave it to her anyway.
The hardest truth of all.

Games are not art, get over it.
Yes it is, and you won't be able to refute it.

two can play this game

Great Video. I thought she should have started here rather than way back in the first video, as more recent games are more relevant to the topic IMO. But feels like she's hitting a stride now, can't wait for the next one

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
That's exactly what I said. Feminism can't be the subject of someone's work. It's merely a point of view, which a poster early objected to.

So people can't claim that feminism can be held to rigor and analysis when feminism itself is just a point of view. It will just be a trivial analysis.

I asked you before, and you didn't reply.

You're not an academic, are you? Your misunderstanding of how analytical frames operate is telling.

What? You can't be more wrong.

I'm glad we have these threads to let us know who the crazy misogynists are.

Seven or eight? I take back the disclaimer of my previous post, Extra Credits' output makes an absolute mockery out of FremFreq's quantity of videos released.

MormaPope

Banned
The arguments over the money she got and how she uses it are irrelevant in every way. Argue her assertions, not how she got the money to make those assertions.

Mesoian

Seven or eight? I take back the disclaimer of my previous post, Extra Credits' output makes an absolute mockery out of FremFreq's quantity of videos released.

Now THAT i'll agree with. Scheduling wise, even with just two videos out, this project is a travesty. Why this is being done linerally and not in blocks makes no sense to me, it means that there can be no defined release dates. If she had a publisher, she probably would have been cited or sued by now.

Link is weaker too. He's a scared kid who has to sneak around for the first time ever in the series.

Tetra is stronger than Zelda in OoT because she's a pirate. She went from being more capable than OoT Zelda, to being less so.

Link went from being weaker than OoT Link, to the same strength. One took a step backwards, one took a step forward.

Optimus Lime

I was an academic. Graduated from a four year university in 2007.

No, no. You misunderstand. I didn't ask you if you were a student.

I asked you if you were an academic. You don't really need me to explain the difference between those two things, do you?

oneils

Fair enough. Too many discussions going on at once for me.

It is a point of view, but you seem to dismiss it very easily. Politics is politics. But I don't think feminism or feminist theory is something that can be so easily dismissed. Unless, that is, you don't actually agree with its stated goals/outcomes/whatever.

Link is weaker too. He's a scared kid who has to sneak around for the first time ever in the series.

Right.

So your opinion is that Tetra is not defined by her personality, but her appearance.

Of course your stance is that women are better seen and not heard.

By the way, I'm confused why you seem so intent to not utter the words that would confirm your stance to be that Tetra is capable of making the decisions to change her personality as much as Aragorn.

MormaPope

Banned

So did this team play a bunch of games and go through a writing process and how to present stuff? Do they use capture equipment and record moments in games that get their assertion across?

I have no clue how she produces this series, a smaller scope would definitely help contextually and debate wise.

PK Gaming

Tetra is stronger than Zelda in OoT because she's a pirate. She went from being more capable than OoT Zelda, to being less so.

Link went from being weaker than OoT Link, to the same strength. One took a step backwards, one took a step forward.

I actually think WW Link is much stronger than OoT Link.

OoT Link is just a mindless drone, WW Link is a kid with feelings. It takes real strength of character / courage to do what he does.

Shinta

Banned

How is she weaker? She was never strong enough to go head to head with Ganon by herself. That's why she was hiding her identity.

We're so deep into small details that you'd need a microscope to find the sexism in this game.

Oh - I in no way endorse the way she was treated at the hands of 4chan, or Reddit. That was horrible, despicable, and she didn't do anything to deserve a single second of it. It was, however, her greatest contribution to academic critique - her actual content may be nonsense, but she created a living, reactive illustration of the torrent of misogyny that runs beneath the surface of the gaming community. Which wasn't her mission, but which was a fascinating and depressing display nonetheless.
I wasn't accusing you of that, I was attempting to explain why many people don't call her out on the stuff you pointed out. They want to distance themselves from the people who spammed 'edgy' bullshit so they don't criticize her at all, when her videos are full of flawed points.

LiK

Was gonna watch this but too many games in the list I planned on playing so I'll probably watch it after I played them.

Well that's the point right? Not to have a discussion with her? The point is to put all the "evidence" on the table so we can come together and discuss what makes sense, what doesn't, if it'll ever change, and how it can change for the better.

And she is not doing a great doing presenting the evidence or her point. Is like a lawyer being snarky and condescending with the jury

Because THAT'S the point of these videos, to build discussions whether you agree or not. Think she's full of shit? Say why, articulate it, don't just say "LOL FEMINISMS DUMB! WHAT A DUMB BITCH", which is what happens when youtube comments are on.

Eh... I didn't say that... like at all.

The point is that we're talking about this stuff at all, because we normally don't. Ever.

And is not doing a great job keeping it alive if the reaction abbove is some sort of sign. (no offense)

She is doing such a bad job at these videos I wonder if she is purposefully playing the part of the feminist trope.

How meta.

I really do think she goes on too much about the 'definitions' of things, we get it we understand what the tropes are we don't need 20 examples of it.

Cat Party

Didn't find this episode as good as the first one. A lot of the examples were shitty games with obvious reliance on the trope. And I thought the example of Borderlands 2 made no sense given you can be a female character in that game.

Still, this is good stuff. Makes me uncomfortable, which is good.

JordanN

Banned
Man, that video was boring. It had that "once you've seen one tropes vs women video, you've seen them all". Nothing really insightful.

How is she weaker? She was never strong enough to go head to head with Ganon by herself. That's why she was hiding her identity.

We're so deep into small details that you'd need a microscope to find the sexism in this game.

Ganondorf did not have the Triforce in TWW.

FACT: TWW Zelda goes against OoT Ganondorf. TWW Zelda instantly captured.

OoT Zelda goes against TWW Ganondorf. Not instantly captured. OoT Ganondorf uses magic to capture her, while TWW Zelda is captured w/ brute force.

I asked you if you were an academic. You don't really need me to explain the difference between those two things, do you?

I would like to hear your definition of an academic. Since students are generally included in the noun.

Gold_Loot

ICO-

"An easy way for writers to trigger an emotional reaction in male players" *shuts the video off right here* Way to miss the whole point of that game.

I think I had about enough of this- this-... person

Get off your high horse. You're not some female holier than thou white knight for women.

redcrayon

I'm sorry, I am trying to find where exactly you specifically mentioned this new allowance for certain types of violence but not over the top violence in the specific post of yours that I quoted and responded to.

Oh wait, that was your original post, as can be seen by my direct quote of it HERE. This following quote is the same post with your new additions.

So now you respond as if my response to your post ignored the "ever-more-extreme " aspect to violence, instead of just "violence" itself, as your unedited post specifically listed. Way to move the goalposts. This convenient editing of yours and the complete lack of effort on your part to acknowledge it or leave it alone and suffer some slings and arrows of outrageous, but well-deserved, fortune until you can rectify it in a following post SEEMS just a tad bit disingenuous on your part.

My issue was clearly your APPARENT position against violence in its entirety that I took from your own original comments. Now you want a more subtle and refined position that allows for violence, but not extreme over the top violence. I would not have objected to your comment or responded to it had it actually been this new position originally.

I went back and edited for clarity rather than because of you, but sure, I should have said so, apologies. (The usual forum I use has a 'last edited' time stamp at the bottom of a post).

My original post was never against violence in its entirity, even the bit you quoted makes that clear, (note that I said 'lots of' and not 'all games') so I'm not sure where you get that from, or why you thought it was 'APPARENT'. Thats why I responded to you- you seemed to take 'all games' from somewhere and spin it to a bizarre conclusion when I clearly said 'lots of AAA games', which clearly isn't 'all games of all types'. That was the reason for my response, it was a qualifier you missed and went off on a tangent based on what you thought I'd said, and why I thought you got the wrong end of the stick, although the edit you point out in your post is indeed clearly another slightly different qualifier.

Anyway, Apologies again for poor ettiquette towards you, but there will be hundreds of posts in the next few hours and I wanted to make sure I didn't end up having to make the same response over and over again.

Originally Posted by redcrayon:
I also think it would have been worth exploring the point that perhaps it's not really about treatment of women at all, but that lots of AAA games use violence as their primary problem-solving mechanic full stop. It gives an easy win/loss scenario, health allows for degrees of loss, and conflict breeds drama. It's just a shame we aren't really moved past the kill-or-be-killed stage of conflict resolution that appeals to teenagers.

Here you are for clarity. As you said, here is my pre-edit post that you quoted. The first sentence never says 'all games'. The second sentence gives the reason I understand for its use and the last sentence adds a condition for my argument (that I thought also wasn't that clear), and I just thought you seemed to offer a knee-jerk response to the first sentence in isolation, assuming i wanted to ban all violence in all fps games, without even reading the last bit anyway. Anyway, we seem to broadly agree, so apologies again, I'll make sure I'm happy with my argument before posting in a fast-moving thread next time.

Mesoian

So did this team play a bunch of games and go through a writing process and how to present stuff? Do they use capture equipment and record moments in games that get their assertion across?

I have no clue how she produces this series, a smaller scope would definitely help contextually and debate wise.

Yes. Remember that image of her sitting on the giant block of video games she bought and people rolled their eyes and scoffed and said, "No way she's going to play all of those". They were partially right. Those games were collected to form a media pool. If you're making a movie for money, you can't just go on youtube and download shit. You need your own resources to get the moments that prove your points. It takes a shit load of time, especially if you don't know everything that's going to happen, have to make notes, then go back and capture that scene again. It's one of the reasons why people hate doing video reviews on review sites; you have to parse scenes you want to show, and it's time consuming.

She didn't play all those games, she probably knew of key points she wanted to talk about, and had certain people on her pay roll play through them, then capture those points, and keep an eye out for more moments that bolster the points she's making. A lot of those clips in this video were from endings. That means someone working for her played through those games fully, if she didn't do it herself (I bet she played some of them).

Eh... I didn't say that... like at all.

Royale We. Didn't mean you were personally doing that, sorry.

Pau

Is this GAF's official "white knight" thread?
You have to be a white knight in order to be interested in a feminist analysis of something?

I mean, ignoring that there would be women interested (and participating) in such a thread. Because that's impossible.

ICO-

"An easy way for writers to trigger an emotional reaction in male players" *shuts the video off right here* Way to miss the whole point of that game.

Get off your high horse. You're not some female holier than thou white knight for women.
Ah, I see.

ICO-

Ico by itself is not sexist. The fact that every game he's made has a lot of the same elements is.

Optimus Lime

I would like to hear your definition of an academic. Since students are generally included in the noun.

No, they aren't. They're students. And, you're being completely and utterly disingenuous. You know as well as I do that you have never been a professional academic involved in postgraduate research.

What you are, however, is a person who is attempting to portray himself as an expert on things he doesn't understand. Your non-understanding of how feminist theory is applied as an analytical instrument demonstrates staggering levels of ignorance and hubris.

cicero

Whatever point you were trying to make is being somewhat lost with your apparent efforts to give him the high hat.

ASIS

There is no need for the condescending tone. you've pushed him enough for one thread. Either you explain to him or don't reply. Focusing on him rather than what he's saying is immature.

Now THAT i'll agree with. Scheduling wise, even with just two videos out, this project is a travesty.

And Extra Credits has half of the work force, two of the people on the 4 person team focus on the art, and they all have full time jobs!

As I said before, I really don't see where the time was spent, especially considering the first episode something along the lines of eight months to get released after funding. I mean, we are about four weeks away from the first anniversary of the end of the Kickstarter, and she's only finished two thirds of what she has to say about the first topic of 12. I would genuinely be concerned about the money running out, if she's going to take this long to get through this topic.

KTallguy

Banned
I actually think WW Link is much stronger than OoT Link.

OoT Link is just a mindless drone, WW Link is a kid with feelings. It takes real strength of character / courage to do what he does.

I think that as game tech advanced, the ability to express emotion in game characters got better, making us feel that the characters are more emotional, alive, etc.

You can see in OoT that Link gets scared when the door closes behind him, looking around anxiously. Perhaps the creators always imagined Link in this way, although there's no way to prove this. Imagine LttP with a Link that can show emotion on his face... would he look scared when he's picking up his Uncle's sword?

The better way to look at the game narrative is to see what events transpire. A girl struggling when she is kidnapped versus looking helpless, sure it shows a different, perhaps stronger personality, but the point is that the girl is getting kidnapped, and this event is the catalyst for the player's quest.

It's an interesting discussion to be sure... and I think more and more modern games are starting to think differently. The sexualized character in Bayonetta is still a strong character and (end game spoiler)
she kind of gets kidnapped anyway, right?
Still, she kicks ass throughout 90% of the game. It's interesting to see the different shifts and trends in the industry.

There's a couple games in there that I might want to play at some point in the future :(

namely Dishonored and Pandora's Tower...

Guess I won't get to see this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom