• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump AZ rally: dishonest media, gov't shutdown if no wall, hints at Arpaio pardon

Pilgrimzero

I really hope the Dems use all of this to get real positive changes made once they are back in power.

Then again never underestimate the Dems to not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

guys please, fake news.

You see that big screen thing in the first picture? That's the press stand. It's where the second picture was taken.

The hall was half empty. It's a big hall, and there were still far more people there than Donald Trump deserves, but it definitely wasn't a packed house.

You see that big screen thing in the first picture? That's the press stand. It's where the second picture was taken.

The hall was half empty. It's a big hall, and there were still far more people there than Donald Trump deserves, but it definitely wasn't a packed house.

xS1iEGe.png

when you get that good myspace angle you exploit it.

BUT to be fair he said 15K in phoenix. not exactly inside the center. it could include the people outside protesting.

Joe T.

Don Lemon is killing it.

I'm going to run with the assumption that journalistic standards have fallen off a cliff in the US, same with the integrity of the presidency, because that's the only way I can rationalize posts that are heaping praise on Don Lemon's account of last night's rally. "I'm just going to speak from the heart here: what we witnessed was a total eclipse of the facts." Really? I'm going to be shaking my head all day long after that ridiculous line. Sensationalistic "news" network pandering to its viewers after airing a campaign rally held by an attention-craving president. The two couldn't be better suited for one another. It would be nice if people stopped feeding into it, but sign of the times and all that.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm going to run with the assumption that journalistic standards have fallen off a cliff in the US, same with the integrity of the presidency, because that's the only way I can rationalize posts that are heaping praise on Don Lemon's account of last night's rally. "I'm just going to speak from the heart here: what we witnessed was a total eclipse of the facts." Really? I'm going to be shaking my head all day long after that ridiculous line. Sensationalistic "news" network pandering to its viewers after airing a campaign rally held by an attention-craving president. The two couldn't be better suited for one another. It would be nice if people stopped feeding into it, but sign of the times and all that.
It's cable TV news. Every network here is like that. Hello to the past 15 years.

HotHamBoy

I dont understand how so many people could rally behind someone with such a huge victim complex. Completely unattractive to just whine & bitch all the time about how wronged you are.

"The President Lied About Everything He said At His Rally" isn't as poetic, I guess.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I dont understand how so many people could rally behind someone with such a huge victim complex. Completely unattractive to just whine & bitch all the time about how wronged you are.

Trump validates their own victimhood, whinging and blame-shifting mentality. These people have been drunk their entire lives on blaming everyone else in order to live in a fantasy world of guns, religion, and cartoonish patriotism.

So they blame black people, brown people, foreign people, uppity women who don't know their place, and "snobbish" elites who are unamerican because they have a college education and live in coastal cities. Trump's incessant whining and choice of words is exactly the way that his supporters sit around bitching about the world every day.

No one is without bias. No one is without opinion. No one is purely objective. News organizations shouldn't act like you can be. What do you want, someone going up and attempting to present a "neutral" argument about what happened on that stage? Because there fucking isn't one.

gcubed

FAKE.

NEWS.

There were people that were so pure of blood they were see through. Are you racist to clear skinned people?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I hope you're being sarcastic. Look where the Media platform is in both those shots.

ah. my bad. perspective messed with me, my bad. guess I should've seen both sides.

Apdiddy

Do you really think being under oath would mean anything to Trump?

True, he lied in the past under oath anyway. Just something to get him to be shown avoiding the question; I wish reporters would get snippy with him and say to him "just answer the fucking question, a simple 'yes' or 'no' would suffice." If they get kicked out of press conferences, oh well. They should take after the example of Jorge Ramos from Univision and not back down.

Yeah, Trump claims it's the media stirring up hate in America, not neo nazis, then Don Lemon speaks frankly on his show (he's not some local-TV anchor, btw, it's normal) and you're trying to make this about "journalistic integrity"?

It wasn't "sensationalistic" and he sure as fuck wasn't saying it to pander to anyone.

You're clueless and completely off base.

BasicMath

I really hope the Dems use all of this to get real positive changes made once they are back in power.

Then again never underestimate the Dems to not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
They'll be fine as long as they actually change for the people and they don't put up trash again for the general.

If they don't and instead make this all about the other side and how they're entitled to votes, they're going to get demolished yet again.

Joe T.

It's cable TV news. Every network here is like that. Hello to the past 15 years.

Yes, and after 15 years (closer to double that) people are still treating it as if it's something novel. We're 7 months into Trump's presidency and yet every rally he holds is covered as if it's some unprecedented event, not just by cable TV, but by the general public. Take a look at how many posts are in this thread. If you told me this was a Republican forum and there were a couple thousand posts in response to last night's rally I would probably think "I guess that makes sense." But in a forum that's probably as critical of him (and the mainstream media) as any other? Why, after acknowledging that cable TV is driven by ratings rather than actual journalistic integrity, do we then feed into the problem?

Trump's going to be Trump. We all know what that means at this point. So, what is it about his rallies that's not only attracting his supporters, but also his most ardent critics? I'm not talking about protesters either, I mean those watching on TV or the web. Guessing the fact that it's a live event that allows you to experience what is essentially a train wreck with like-minded forum members has to be a primary draw, but even train wrecks are dull after you've seen them a few dozen times (excluding loss of life, of course, because I'm not a heartless monster... yet).

No one is without bias. No one is without opinion. No one is purely objective. News organizations shouldn't act like you can be. What do you want, someone going up and attempting to present a "neutral" argument about what happened on that stage? Because there fucking isn't one.

I'll take Wolf Blitzer over Don Lemon any day of the week because at least with him I know he isn't going to be launching into some silly diatribe as it relates to the news he's covering. If I tune into a news network like CNN I expect the facts, both national and international. If I want to watch a few talking heads discuss the news I'll tune into The Talk or whatever talk show is popular these days. Why would you want to merge the two?

Spend a day watching CNN, then let me know what you think of their news coverage. I probably get more daily national/international news in an hour of KTLA than I do with CNN all damned day and that's a sad state of affairs.

They're going to fuck up and make their 2018 slogan something like, "two ubers in every garage and an app in every pot."

Yes, and after 15 years (closer to double that) people are still treating it as if it's something novel. We're 7 months into Trump's presidency and yet every rally he holds is covered as if it's some unprecedented event, not just by cable TV, but by the general public. Take a look at how many posts are in this thread. If you told me this was a Republican forum and there were a couple thousand posts in response to last night's rally I would probably think "I guess that makes sense." But in a forum that's probably as critical of him (and the mainstream media) as any other? Why, after acknowledging that cable TV is driven by ratings rather than actual journalistic integrity, do we then feed into the problem?

Trump's going to be Trump. We all know what that means at this point. So, what is it about his rallies that's not only attracting his supporters, but also his most ardent critics? I'm not talking about protesters either, I mean those watching on TV or the web. Guessing the fact that it's a live event that allows you to experience what is essentially a train wreck with like-minded forum members has to be a primary draw, but even train wrecks are dull after you've seen them a few dozen times (excluding loss of life, of course, because I'm not a heartless monster... yet).

I'll take Wolf Blitzer over Don Lemon any day of the week because at least with him I know he isn't going to be launching into some silly diatribe as it relates to the news he's covering. If I tune into a news network like CNN I expect the facts, both national and international. If I want to watch a few talking heads discuss the news I'll tune into The Talk or whatever talk show is popular these days. Why would you want to merge the two?

Spend a day watching CNN, then let me know what you think of their news coverage. I probably get more daily national/international news in an hour of KTLA than I do with CNN all damned day and that's a sad state of affairs.
I'll sum this up quickly for you. Most everyone on here wants Trump impeached, jailed or gone. As you said media and the public are aware of Trump's behavior for the past 2 years. However, it doesn't get better. In fact he's been on an unhinged downward spiral since he fired Comey.

Everyone is used to Trumps shit by now and we've gotten tired of it and want him gone. At first some people found it amusing as he was trolling the Republican party during the primaries. Now it's just insane and he every time he speaks people are out on the street protesting him.

Also you talk about just ignoring him and say you could confuse this with a Republican forum. He is the POTUS. This isn't a partisan issue nor is this just some annoying, vapid celebrity we can ignore and hope they go away. This man is talking about getting rid of NAFTA which would destroy our entire economy. Every single American should be up in arms and concerned that he still is saying he wants to get rid of NAFTA. People are angry and scared for when terrorist attacks, extreme weather, economic decisions, and Foreign policy decisions are made.

Joe T.

You're clueless and completely off base.

You're defending Don "nice rack" Lemon. Don "need more proof" Lemon. Don "blacks shouldn't wear baggy pants, use N-word or litter" Lemon. Don "You know, there are ways not to perform oral sex if you didn't want to do it ... meaning the using of the teeth, right?" Lemon. Don "it works on my dog so why not your kid?" Lemon. Don "black hole" Lemon.

But whatevs, Lemon was savage AF, fam, so all's right in the world. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also you talk about just ignoring him and say you could confuse this with a Republican forum. He is the POTUS. This isn't a partisan issue nor is this just some annoying, vapid celebrity we can ignore and hope they go away. This man is talking about getting rid of NAFTA which would destroy our entire economy. Every single American should be up in arms and concerned that he still is saying he wants to get rid of NAFTA. People are angry and scared for when terrorist attacks, extreme weather, economic decisions, and Foreign policy decisions are made.

I guess I need to clarify my prior statement because I don't want anyone ignoring him. I want people ignoring the sensationalized media, the ones often passing themselves off as news, as much as possible. If you can't be bothered to watch the rally and form an opinion for yourself then get a summary of it from a trusted source, preferably one that doesn't feel the need to sway your opinion one way or the other. CNN is in it for the ratings, I don't think anyone here would argue that, and an overwhelming majority of their coverage is comprised of talking heads pitted against one another, too often winding up in shouting matches. You have to take a step back and ask yourself, "Is he/she genuine when conveying this opinion to us?" Those remarks are often prepared and calibrated to get a response from us, whether it be to get cheers or jeers, because that's how they get their viewers coming back, by eliciting a response. Emotions are a powerful tool and the media is squeezing it for all it's worth.

As a resident of phoenix and protester downtown, I had (hoped for) more faith in the phoenix PD prior to the protest

But it ended up being a typical response. Water bottle thrown at 100 officers armed with guns and body armor? Nuke the people.

They respond the same way in other situations, shoot first. Every other day there is an officer involved shooting here in phoenix, it is a plague.

EDIT: It also happened to go down as the alt-right were leaving the convention center. There were plenty of alt-right outside as it is, loaded with AK's, M16's, and AR15's. The attitude and atmosphere across the street wanted blood, while the peaceful protest was going. The people protesting were prosecuted, the people yelling out racial slurs and threatening violence were protected by the police.

I expect a harsh response by Mayor Stanton, he won't stand for this shit in his city.

Mahonay

Banned

That's pretty fucking easy to say when Justin Trudeau is your leader and not Cheeto Head.

I personally haven't had cable TV for a while as most of it is trash. I also don't watch his speeches as I get too insensed listening to his horrible bullshit. I wait and just read what he said later.

I can't ignore him because he is ruining my country, whether or not you feel we were fucked before this. This man doesn't represent a large portion of this country, and we are angry. Get used to the long threads here. It's not going to stop. Feel free to not read these threads if you think we're all just getting played and should just accept what's happening.

Every news network, not just CNN, played right into Trump's tiny hands with 24/7 coverage and is partly why he was elected. But, he's the president now, that spotlight is instead now being used to highlight his weekly blunders, which I am all for. This is the absolute wrong time for news networks to stop their coverage of him, sensational or not.

Pesmerga00

"Fake News" is the most frustrating thing to deal with lately. It's pulled straight from the conspiracy theorist playbook. Anything they don't already agree with is planted by "Them".

shiba5

Yes, let's talk about FAKE NEWS. Trump said 15,000 people were at his rally last night. The fire marshall said the venue only holds 5,000 - and it wasn't full.

Socreges

Banned
You're defending Don "nice rack" Lemon. Don "need more proof" Lemon. Don "blacks shouldn't wear baggy pants, use N-word or litter" Lemon. Don "You know, there are ways not to perform oral sex if you didn't want to do it ... meaning the using of the teeth, right?" Lemon. Don "it works on my dog so why not your kid?" Lemon. Don "black hole" Lemon.

But whatevs, Lemon was savage AF, fam, so all's right in the world. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I need to clarify my prior statement because I don't want anyone ignoring him. I want people ignoring the sensationalized media, the ones often passing themselves off as news, as much as possible. If you can't be bothered to watch the rally and form an opinion for yourself then get a summary of it from a trusted source, preferably one that doesn't feel the need to sway your opinion one way or the other. CNN is in it for the ratings, I don't think anyone here would argue that, and an overwhelming majority of their coverage is comprised of talking heads pitted against one another, too often winding up in shouting matches. You have to take a step back and ask yourself, "Is he/she genuine when conveying this opinion to us?" Those remarks are often prepared and calibrated to get a response from us, whether it be to get cheers or jeers, because that's how they get their viewers coming back, by eliciting a response. Emotions are a powerful tool and the media is squeezing it for all it's worth.
I was excited to watch Don Lemon's rant last night based on what people were saying here. I was hoping for catharsis, but it was too silly and hyperbolic. You can definitely be dramatic and intense and harsh and vicious when attacking Trump. But you have to be reasonable and credible, too.

And I'm not at all familiar with Lemon, so I'm surprised to hear about his history.

Krakatoa

Yes, let's talk about FAKE NEWS. Trump said 15,000 people were at his rally last night. The fire marshall said the venue only holds 5,000 - and it wasn't full.

Lol, is this confirmed true? If so why are people now calling out this bullshit? News outlets etc.

Damaniel

Banned
Lol, is this confirmed true? If so why are people now calling out this bullshit? News outlets etc.

Conservative media will parrot Trump's number and his base (who only watch REAL NEWS) will accept it as fact. Debunking doesn't work with those people - they're too far gone.

Conservative media will parrot Trump's number and his base (who only watch REAL NEWS) will accept it as fact. Debunking doesn't work with those people - they're too far gone.

This is the unfortunate truth, Trump will just state that fake news is making something up per usual and his delusional fans don't have the capacity to think critically for themselves.

ChryZ

Yeah, no. I'm not from the US, around the election I was so sick of all the bullshit. This drama is compensation for getting on my nerves. Might as well grab some popcorn and enjoy the shitshow. It's like one big social experiment gone wrong. Can't wait for the grand finale.

It's probable they used the number of ticket requests for the crowd size. Many anti-Trump people obtained tickets in an effort to crowd out supporters so the number is likely inflated.

Con_Smith

Banned
I know, but the media won't report on it. They should.

Rachel Maddow actually did an expose before and after the election on that guy and his cult. honestly she doesn't get enough credit (especially after the taxes stunt) for being on top of a lot of the bullshit when everyone else was too busy bot sidesing, giving the benefit of the doubt, or downplaying the fuckery.

Top Bottom