• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on Putin's alleged killing of journalists: "At least he's a leader!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/trump-praises-putin-216929#ixzz3ujT8YzjK
Donald Trump hesitated on Friday to criticize Russian President Vladimir Putin for allegations the Kremlin has killed high-profile journalists critical of the leader, saying "our country does plenty of killing also."

During an interview with MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Trump expanded upon his welcoming of praise from Putin, remarking that “when people call you brilliant, it’s always good, especially when the person heads up Russia.”

Co-host Joe Scarborough then asked Trump what he thought about the number of high-profile murders of journalists who have been critical of Putin. “He’s running his country, and at least he’s a leader, you know unlike what we have in this country,” Trump responded.

Scarborough pressed Trump again on the issue.

“Well I think our country does plenty of killing also, Joe,” Trump said. “So, you know. There’s a lot of stupidity going on in the world right now, Joe. A lot of killing going on, a lot of stupidity.”

Asked then, whether he would condemn Putin's hostility toward journalists, Trump said, “Oh sure, absolutely.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/gop-trump-putin-216949

Trump's warm embrace of the Russian president has shocked and alarmed the Republican establishment. There's no secret about why Trump has psychologically tethered himself to Putin, whose bombast rivals that of the U.S. billionaire businessman and whose own strongman reputation reinforces Trump's. But as the United States and its allies try to beat back Russia's intrusions into Ukraine and Syria, Trump has ruffled countless feathers by cozying up to the Russian leader.

Romney's former aides embody the GOP backlash, and on Friday morning, as Trump offered his latest flattery for Putin, they seethed.

“Donald Trump is like that stray dog anybody can pet and it will follow you home,” former top Romney adviser Stuart Stevens told POLITICO. “Putin praises him so he loves Putin. It's embarrassing and sad. He's a seriously damaged individual who is deeply insecure and needs attention and praise and the source doesn't matter.”
Trump has repeatedly fawned over Putin, especially after the two appeared in separate interviews on “60 Minutes” in September, when Putin was in Russia. “I got to know him very well because we were both on 60 Minutes, we were stablemates,” he said during a November GOP debate, appearing to create the image of a joint interview. “We did well that night.”

The lovefest escalated this week when Putin, talking just after his end-of-year press conference, called Trump “a very bright and talented man,” as well as an “absolute leader” in the race for the presidency. Trump, appearing on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on Friday, returned the warm embrace, saying it’s nice “when people call you brilliant, it’s always good, especially when the person heads up Russia.”
One foreign policy adviser to a rival GOP campaign, however, pointed out that a contingent of Republican Putin-admirers do exist.

“There is a circle within the Republican Party—people like Pat Buchanan and others—who think that Putin is the best thing since sliced bread,” said an advisor to one of the Republican candidates who is also a Russia scholar. “And I don’t know if Trump would want to be associated with Buchanan or not, but his comments put him in that category.”

Anion

I wonder what he is trying sometimes, if he was a plant. If he was, which is probably not true, it would seem all he is trying to do is change up the republican party ideas.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
“Well I think our country does plenty of killing also, Joe,” Trump said.

Like this is another one of those times Trump is technically right and there's a good point to be made, but everything else is just soooo wrong.

Ill-Never-Heil-Again_small.gif~c200

Booshka

Best Presidential Candidate of All-Time, Best Businessman of All-Time, Most Prolific Cable News Watcher of All-Time. The preeminent voice for racist idiots across this Great Country we call the USA, Donald "Jay?" Trump.

bionic77

Best Presidential Candidate of All-Time, Best Businessman of All-Time, Most Prolific Cable News Watcher of All-Time. The preeminent voice for racist idiots across this Great Country we call the USA, Donald "Jay?" Trump.
He is just using racism and the fact that we have millions of dumb pussies in this country as his platform to get elected. That happens all the time in the US and is not really anything new, though Trump is certainly the most blatant one in my lifetime.

What scares me is that he might be a straight up fascist. Just like his good pal and hero Putin.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
He is just using racism and the fact that we have millions of dumb pussies in this country as his platform to get elected. That happens all the time in the US and is not really anything new, though Trump is certainly the most blatant one in my lifetime.

What scares me is that he might be a straight up fascist. Just like his good pal and hero Putin.

Not quite: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/10/9886152/donald-trump-fascism

But the closest the US has seen.

bionic77

I don't agree with the part that says he doesn't want to get rid of the constitution.

To accomplish what he wants to do would require us to white out several large sections of the constitution.

Also I don't think the first step is ever Nazi Germany. I think it is a bunch of fascist baby steps along the way. Using fear and the excuse of security and prosperity to slowly dissolve our freedoms.

I hope I am being an alarmist and this is all just a bad few months for our country by the way.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't agree with the part that says he doesn't want to get rid of the constitution.

To accomplish what he wants to do would require us to white out several large sections of the constitution.

Also I don't think the first step is ever Nazi Germany. I think it is a bunch of fascist baby steps along the way. Using fear and the excuse of security and prosperity to slowly dissolve our freedoms.

I hope I am being an alarmist and this is all just a bad few months for our country by the way.

While your point is fair, he is not advocating such changes yet.
When/if he gets the nomination, and we get up to September and he is polling competitive, then be worried. I still don't see a path to get him to competitive.

The thing to remember with Germany is there were many factors; foremost of which is a total currency collapse.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Like this is another one of those times Trump is technically right and there's a good point to be made, but everything else is just soooo wrong.

This. Did people forget the US air strike on a Doctors Without Borders facility like 2 months ago?

People have goldfish memories.

bionic77

While your point is fair, he is not advocating such changes yet.
When/if he gets the nomination, and we get up to September and he is polling competitive, then be worried. I still don't see a path to get him to competitive.

The thing to remember with Germany is there were many factors; foremost of which is a total currency collapse.
It is hard for me to imagine him getting the nomination or winning the presidency too.

But it scares me how accepting millions of people in this country are to his dangerous ideas. I really hope that he loses and the Republican party reforms itself. It would be nice to actually have an option when it comes to election time.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
But did he also kill the journalist's families?

bionic77

Donald Trump: I wish I could murder reporters.
Trump would get the Mexicans to murder the reporters while on break from building the wall before deporting themselves back to whatever country they came from.

And he would get their government to pay for the funeral expenses while he was at it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
doctors, children, patients, and journalists are all civilians.
While I don't think what happened was good, I think it's important to draw a distinction between an unintentional casualty of war in a war torn country, and intentionally targeting and murdering journalists. That might just be me though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
While I don't think what happened was good, I think it's important to draw a distinction between an unintentional casualty of war in a war torn country, and intentionally targeting and murdering journalists. That might just be me though.

reports after the fact make it sound like they knew what the facility was and that there would be collateral damage and loss of civilian life, went through with it anyway. might just be me but it doesn't make it any less foul if those civilians were unfortunate enough to be living in a war torn country.

Ri'Orius

reports after the fact make it sound like they knew what the facility was and that there would be collateral damage and loss of civilian life, went through with it anyway. might just be me but it doesn't make it any less foul if those civilians were unfortunate enough to be living in a war torn country.

It was a mistake. And even if it were considered acceptable collateral damage, that's still way better than "this journalist said something I disagree with so I had him shot in an alley."

Collateral damage is an unfortunate inevitability in war. Assassinating critics isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom