• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on Putin's alleged killing of journalists: "At least he's a leader!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
reports after the fact make it sound like they knew what the facility was and that there would be collateral damage and loss of civilian life, went through with it anyway. might just be me but it doesn't make it any less foul if those civilians were unfortunate enough to be living in a war torn country.

Conflating the two situations is grossly dishonest. Intention and context makes all the difference.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It was a mistake. And even if it were considered acceptable collateral damage, that's still way better than "this journalist said something I disagree with so I had him shot in an alley."

Collateral damage is an unfortunate inevitability in war. Assassinating critics isn't.

Conflating the two situations is grossly dishonest. Intention and context makes all the difference.

I am not endorsing murdering your critics, putin runs his country like a mobster. Just used that to illustrate that the US is doing shady shit all the time too.

https://theintercept.com/drone-papers/

Maybe the awful drone strikes would've been a better illustration of recent american assassination clusterfucks.

pirata

LITERALLY FASCISM

LITERALLY

AMERICANS WANT FASCISM in their country

No, old racist people in the countryside want fascism. Most people who aren't old and stupid and live in the middle of nowhere watching Fox News all the time do not. Unfortunately, our political and social systems are so fucking broken at this point that the opinion of those nut-cases matter a lot more than that of anyone else.

riotous

Banned
LITERALLY FASCISM

LITERALLY

Maybe 12-15% of Americans are like this.

Note to the world: only 25% of Americans identify as Republican... so when you see stuff like "30% of Republicans believe Obama is made of french toast and nazis" a least do the Math before you sterotype. Same with polls showing support for Trump.

Is it still gross? Yes... but it's still a small loud minority.

Like this is another one of those times Trump is technically right and there's a good point to be made, but everything else is just soooo wrong.

What point is there to make in this context? The question is about domestic authoritarianism, not foreign policy if that's what you're trying to get at. If we consider death just an entire broad topic to be lumped together then sure.

bionic77

Note to the world: only 25% of Americans identify as Republican... so when you see stuff like "30% of Republicans believe Obama is made of french toast and nazis" a least do the Math before you sterotype. Same with polls showing support for Trump.

This is the exact argument people use against Muslims.

Looks like you can get 15% of anyone to agree with something idiotic.

Scary times. I really hope Republicans wake up and change course soon.

Kevin

LITERALLY FASCISM

LITERALLY

Yes they really do. Most Americans seem completely fine with losing freedoms at a rapid pace. No one seems to care, for example, that they lost most of their privacy in just a few short years. It's scary for the rest of us who still have a functioning brain.

Dragon

Banned
I am not endorsing murdering your critics, putin runs his country like a mobster. Just used that to illustrate that the US is doing shady shit all the time too.

Maybe the awful drone strikes would've been a better illustration of recent american assassination clusterfucks.

No you are making false equivalence after false equivalence. Does the American government kill journalists? No? Great, then the situations aren't the same.

If you want to talk about the shady shit with drones and other military fubars be my guest. I don't think this is the thread though.

Trump caves like a cheap tent when his mancrush compliments him.

And he's supposed to be the only one who can be "tough" in negotiations. Fuck outta here. Putin's playing him like a fiddle and he's not even fucking president.

woen

He's pushing a far-right agenda so it's nothing surprising that he supports what is close to a far-right country today. Look also at what Victor Orban actually does in his country. The support for Putin on the themes of authority(tarism?), (democrator?)leadership, reducing immigration and attacking muslims is strong in the european political parties that are surprisingly only at the far-right of the spectrum and are financed and/or strongly supported by Putin and his friends (see Marine Le Pen in France).

and when you look at how these polls are made...well it doesn't mean anything. Those are polls and questions for clickbait websites and sharing on social media, not polls to better understand what think citizens and voters. (but why would you understand and analysis, I better retweet that funny buzzfeed article about how republicans are dumb lol)

Trump will get an even bigger share on RT after this.

And the naive fools watching RT will lap it up like little kittens.

take a look at the growth of fascist/racist voters in Europe and you might change your mind

Kurtofan

This. Did people forget the US air strike on a Doctors Without Borders facility like 2 months ago?

People have goldfish memories.

That was an accident, we're talking killing journalists to silence them. Nobody killed US journalist because they reported on the bombings.

Anti-war protesters have been assassinated in Russia, can you say the same of the US?

Johndoey

Banned

This is a lazy argument the two situations are clearly not directly comparable, you went for some lame "take that" and failed miserably.

Calvero

Banned
This doesn't even make any sense. Putin has people killed and he says he's running his country and is a leader "unlike what we have in ours." Then he says we do plenty of killing too as a criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom