• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TUNIC |OT| Fox News

Bridges

Thank you !

I still haven't found this page but this is key knowledge to have.
The tough part is that even when you find the page

It doesn't tell you what most of them do, just what they're called and it gives you a vague description of a few of them, you have to infer what most of them do. The page posted here is much more detailed than the one in the game

I haven't got the patience for it. Even with failsafe mode for health and stamina, I am just going round in circles trying to find somewhere new to go. I don't understand why there are trillions of tuning forks everywhere.
Totally fair, I've spent hours in the game lost, just retracing my steps to see if there is something I missed. It's not gonna be for everyone because of how little they point you in the right direction. It is very fulfilling when you realize what to do though. My advice would be to constantly read through your manual as it does give hints as to what you should be doing, and if you don't think so, then you're probably missing a few pages that would help. If you're really just looking for an answer:
Sounds like you still haven't visited the Frog's Domain, it's hidden away in the Ruined Atoll. When you complete that dungeon you'll get the tool that utilizes the tuning forks

Personally, I think my favorite thing so far is how the game gives you abilities. Of course there are several items that work like Zelda that you earn in dungeons and whatnot, but there are several key abilities that you technically can do the whole game but you never knew or had no reason to try. It makes me hope there's a new game + mode where you can start with the filled out instruction manual, the game would have totally different progression this way.

T-Cake

Sounds like you still haven't visited the Frog's Domain

Thanks. No, I haven't. There seem to be a lot of things that I can't do yet - platforms that are inaccessible, mostly. I'm curious now so I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I played it for about ten minutes before my 9 year old took over for a new season of Fortnite, and I liked what I played. Seems like a cute little character.

Last edited:
Played for an hour or so l last night and really enjoyed what is the game is about. A little exploration, some light pickups and a cool ass game manual map for when you need a little direction. The art and music blend for a really welcoming and engrossing Zelda-esque game. It feels like a nice modernisation of the old 2D Zelda games and giving a bit more to your enemies and moves. Reading there is a difficulty spike coming is fine, I'm not after easy AF games and hopefully it's not a showstopper for me. Looking forward to playing more.

The game is made by 1 guy 1 let that sink in it blows most AAA game with muti million budget away
it my Indie GOTY so far getting Hades vibes it that good.

Reading it was made by one person and I'm left in awe. Amazing. A real showcase of what one passionate person can do these days with some dedication and a vision of what they want to achieve.

This map is awesome 💖😻💖

Love the old school feeling of the map, exploring and feeling like you're making notes in game while flipping those pages over.

oldergamer

This game is great for an indie title. I love the fact you have to figure things out. I honestly cant believe some of the complaints about the game. You just need to look for obvious places where things are hidden. Like there is always something hidden behind every waterfall

I would love to see this type of game with some Hollow knight or Have a nice death visuals! I like my games dark and gloomy like Hollow knight , the music goes through my soul!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Really fun so far but I really don’t get the Zelda comparisons. If anything this feels like a prettier version of minecraft dungeons in a non level based segmented world. And that is ok with me.

Last edited:

Bridges

Just finished it*

What an incredible experience. I feel like there isn't much I can say that wouldn't give some of the fun away, but the game is very clever. Can't believe this was a one man team, mad props for that. Gonna go back in try to collect the secrets I missed

Really fun so far but I really don’t get the Zelda comparisons. If anything this feels like a prettier version of minecraft dungeons in a non level based segmented world. And that is ok with me.

The game is like Dark Souls + Fez with a Zelda paint, does not have much in common with Zelda past the surface level for sure.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished it*

What an incredible experience. I feel like there isn't much I can say that wouldn't give some of the fun away, but the game is very clever. Can't believe this was a one man team, mad props for that. Gonna go back in try to collect the secrets I missed

The game is like Dark Souls + Fez with a Zelda paint, does not have much in common with Zelda past the surface level for sure.

Does this let you free roam after 'beating the story ?'

Eevee86

So basically you are punishing yourself ? I don't get it ! How can someone play a game countless hours and hate it ?
Just stubborn I guess. If it was a longer game I would have dropped it awhile ago. Didn't bother playing today, but I'll see it to the end. Finished the cathedral so all I need to do is gather up some stuff and finish the last boss. I was already kind of meh on it, then it pulled one of the worst things a game can do by resetting your upgrades for artificial difficulty. Really tired of not being able to read most of the things the game says as well.

Bridges

Does this let you free roam after 'beating the story ?'
Yes but
There are two ways to beat the game. The first ending let's you reload your save or start New Game +, the true ending forces you into New Game + unless you turn off the game after the credits (which I did so I could finish finding the late game secrets without having to work my way back there)

adamsapple

Yes but
There are two ways to beat the game. The first ending let's you reload your save or start New Game +, the true ending forces you into New Game + unless you turn off the game after the credits (which I did so I could finish finding the late game secrets without having to work my way back there)

Thanks !

Didn't open the spoiler tag, I hope you understand :D but If there's caveats to it I'll see when the ending comes. Thanks again !

Bridges

Thanks !

Didn't open the spoiler tag, I hope you understand :D but If there's caveats to it I'll see when the ending comes. Thanks again !
Totally get it. For a game like this it's really hard to determine what is and isn't really a "spoiler" because so much of the experience is figuring stuff out.

I don't think I would've finished this game without god mode. It can be time consuming as it is checking every corner for secrets and whatnot, but with enemies being as deadly as they are, it would've taken me so much longer to beat the game. That said, I feel it's a truly special game, but I'm not sure how much a non-Zelda fan would appreciate what it brings to the table.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Uh... yeah, tried the game yesterday and while I like how it looks, I ended up realizing I wasn't having too much fun, specially with that awful combat.

Might give it another chance down the line.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Another two hours spent this morning and not really got anywhere. Can't see how to get to the western bell nor the frog domain. I ended up in a quarry which is another dead end at the moment.

Another two hours spent this morning and not really got anywhere. Can't see how to get to the western bell nor the frog domain. I ended up in a quarry which is another dead end at the moment.

Western Bell should be your first priority, can get there by

Going through the Old House until you get to the Well, clear that then you get the lantern, use the lantern in the Dark Chamber (entrance next to the Well) and it'll take you to the Western Garden where the bell is

T-Cake

Western Bell should be your first priority, can get there by

Going through the Old House until you get to the Well, clear that then you get the lantern, use the lantern in the Dark Chamber (entrance next to the Well) and it'll take you to the Western Garden where the bell is

I'm grateful for your help - I can see the bell - it's on a rock higher up above me but couldn't find a way to get to it, thinking I needed to fiddle with the tuning forks. Hence I gave up and found a path to the Quarry.

I'm grateful for your help - I can see the bell - it's on a rock higher up above me but couldn't find a way to get to it, thinking I needed to fiddle with the tuning forks. Hence I gave up and found a path to the Quarry.

Yeah you can see it from the central area but can only access it through the Western Garden.

As for the Quarry, I think it's optional and you can kinda do that at any time? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

T-Cake

Yeah you can see it from the central area but can only access it through the Western Garden.

As for the Quarry, I think it's optional and you can kinda do that at any time? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm in an old cottage/house thing right now with a purple light path but it's blocked by a rock. I imagine this leads to the bell? I'll try and find this garden thing. Now, I'm following an unlit purple path and have come out in a pink room with an obelisk in it but that's a dead end.

Sorry, I'll go and try and seek out a guide instead of pestering you. I am need of a total hand holding here.

EDIT: So it turns out I missed a passageway -
when I struck the two skulls in the tomb to move the chest forward, I didn't see it had uncovered a ladder down into a new passage which comes out underneath the black obelisk above. Now I'm on my way to the West Garden.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Holy shit the difficulty spike is fucking REAL lol.

Just finished The Quarry boss and got the blue stone.

Fuck that area is difficult.

I'm fairly far along, but a lot of the enemies have patterns. Once you've figured that out, it's really not bad. A little later, there is an area that does have some cheap ass enemies. Thankfully, it's only a few of them.

Best advice for combat I'd say is to always have stamina to bring your shield up and always be circle strafing the enemies trying to never let them flank you if there are several of them. After blocking, drop the shield to bring the stamina up quickly and then bring it up again. This applies for almost all of the enemies and even bosses

Bridges

So without spoiling much, I will say the Quarry is definitely part of the critical path and is not optional. However, you can technically tackle the first several areas in any order... The Quarry is hard as hell though, you will probably want to refrain from messing around in there until you've at least found the other two keys or trying to sequence break.

Edit:
Lots of people seem to be having trouble with the combat. The game is tough but very fair, I feel, and the more upgrades items you get the easier things become. Here are some tips to help get through things with only mild spoilers:

-You can parry by double clicking the shield button. Timing is finicky but it's very useful against projectiles

-There is a "Perfume" ability that increases your stamina regen (looks like a picture of a plant), makes fights way easier

-The quarry has a powerful optional weapon. Be sure to look for it before making your way into the Ziggurat, or else you will not be able to use it on the boss

-Use the special combat moves often, especially against shield guys. If you don't know how to do this, check your manual, it's shown on a very early page.

-Never stop using your bombs. They are your friend. Do not try to save them unless you know you're about to fight a boss

-Get as many coins as you can and use them often. If you do not know what coins do, then you're overthinking it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Can someone please help me solve this puzzle, image under tags.

I'm trying all the hint patterns from the manual but they don't seem to work.

mKpL1IR.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

People told me this would be like a traditional Zelda game but I am not seeing it at all. Maybe later in the game??

No this is a lot more like Fez than anything else.

I saw that, when he reaches that part he just glosses over "and just do the thing in the manual"

that's what I'm having difficulty doing lol.

thanks though !

I saw that, when he reaches that part he just glosses over "and just do the thing in the manual"

thanks though !
Oh, I thought he had the directions on screen. I only had it on in the background because I'm not at that stage yet

thanks though !
So when looking at the pattern on the wall, I did it from the left side of the chest (I don't know if it matters, but the dash going through thru the vertical line means that you repeat that step. So this is what worked for me standing to the left of the chest R U L U R U L U U R D L D R D L D R

adamsapple

So when looking at the pattern on the wall, I did it from the left side of the chest (I don't know if it matters, but the dash going through thru the vertical line means that you repeat that step. So this is what worked for me standing to the left of the chest R U L U R U L U U R D L D R D L D R

Fuck ! THANKS !

I didn't catch the vertical line bit.

adamsapple

3-21-2022_3-10-33_pm-9vka8.png

Finished the game. Now time to mop up the missing collectibles.

Amazing game, extra so when you realize only 1 person made this.

I think this is a lot more of a spiritual sequel to Fez than it is a Zelda-like or Souls-like. The puzzles and the entire manual concept is amazing.

So I went into this with a mindset that I would refuse to use a guide. The game is cool in that I find myself breaking out the pad and pen fairly often writing down where I see things so I can go back later. I have almost all the instruction manual pages and started putting together the golden path on page 49. So far while some are a bit hidden I've found all but the golden path on page 9.

EDIT: After three hours of wasting my time on this I caved and looked it up. Apparently this required fucking around with the save files and is bugged on Gamepass on PC. There is supposed to be a new save file that appears and the solution is apparently in that save file. What a terrible idea this shit was, I hate when games mess with save files.

Here's where I'm at. I'm only missing 9 and 55. I actually have page 9, but for the life of me I can't figure out where the golden path on page 9 is hidden and it's driving me bananas. I can trace out the d-pad presses with what's shown but without figuring out page 9 even if I get page 55 and find the path I'm fucked without page 9.

6EcuU8f.jpg

There are a couple dots in some of the paths that might be breaks or might not, I'll try as if they aren't first and go from there.
KVZIYNi.jpg

Any ideas? I assume it starts at the bottom and heads up to 55 based on the puzzle I've put together so far, but there could be any number of inputs in that square. The yellow boxes in the screenshots don't seem right and the gold question block is literally my brain right now. I must be way overthinking this. I assume you have to folloe the image. Load game, in save data select your file, then cancel out and something happens. But nothing happens. I don't like messing around with my save files for a puzzle.
Ev5YKRA.jpg

Nlh83DA.jpg

Well that was a mixed experience. Still annoyed I wasted so much time on the mountain door puzzle only to have part of the solution not work. I wish I'd peeked at the hidden achievements before I played too, there's one for getting the shotgun before the sword. I'll have to restart a new game to mop that one up and I still need a coin for the 15 wish achievement but I'm pretty sure I know where it is.

The music was alright though I often felt it didn't fit the game's setting in some areas. The game looks fine though I found the art kind of went all over the place with some things perfectly squared off but then other things with fairly complex geometry. It actually reminded me a lot of Art of Rally. Honestly the gameplay was fine though I found the bosses were a little more spongey than I prefer. Even with every attack upgrade and stat buff card I could run the bosses were more an exercise in keeping myself focused than anything. The button press puzzles were often bordering on stupid. The mountain door was like 100 button presses.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I need some help again, please.

So I've got the three coloured keys and put them in the big hall with a hole in. I got teleported to a new arena with a boss called "The Heretic" or something. But I seemed to die after one hit and got sent to the hall again but with a ghostly blue aura. Problem is that I can't work out where to go to get back to the boss fight. There are a load of blue ghost foxes dotted about but the area seems very restricted so there must be a path through somewhere.

There's a single teleporter pad which sends you to a purple chasm with another booklet page but that's it.

EDIT: Wait - I have found a new area called "The Old Burial Ground" so I will explore here now.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I need some help again, please.

So I've got the three coloured keys and put them in the big hall with a hole in. I got teleported to a new arena with a boss called "The Heretic" or something. But I seemed to die after one hit and got sent to the hall again but with a ghostly blue aura. Problem is that I can't work out where to go to get back to the boss fight. There are a load of blue ghost foxes dotted about but the area seems very restricted so there must be a path through somewhere.

There's a single teleporter pad which sends you to a purple chasm with another booklet page but that's it.

EDIT: Wait - I have found a new area called "The Old Burial Ground" so I will explore here now.

RE spoiler tag

You're not supposed to be able to beat that boss the first time you see it no matter what, so don't worry about it. You've got plenty to do before you get back to it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch along with the Tunic Developers as they react to this World Record Speedrun.

As of the time of this recording, speedrunner Twikax has logged the world record time for speedrunning Tunic. Thanks to Tunic's Lead developer Andrew Shouldice and Audio Director Kevin Regamey for sitting down for this speedrun! Tunic has been out for only a short time, but speedrunners are already finding faster and faster times.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK completed, missing two achievements that would require new game plus or a fresh save. What an incredible game. Probably the second best game of the year for me. Can't believe its literally like 5 people that made this game. One dude for most of it.

Genius stuff!

Bridges

Interesting conversation here between TUNIC's creator and one of the guys behind FEZ:

After seeing the Fez similarities in my playthrough it was really cool to hear that it actually was an inspiration for the creator. They spoil some stuff for both games but if you've already seen them through to the end I highly recommend taking a listen.

Started playing this week. Didn't particularly like it to begin with (the stick combat is a horrible introduction to the game), but I'm absolutely loving the shit out of it now, about 5 hrs in. I haven't gotten lost once, all the info you need is given to you in those beautiful manual pages, even if you haven't bothered translating it (I don't feel like I will...). The only time I've had to look something up is to see what the cards you can equip do. Beautiful visuals, gorgeous OST.

Exentryk

I've finished the game and below are my thoughts:

Pros:
  • The instructional manual
  • Lovely art-style & graphics
  • Chill ambient music
  • Puzzles and Secrets
  • UI and UX
  • Accessibility options
  • Good shortcuts/checkpoints

Cons:
  • Combat:
    • It could have used more fun and overpowered weapons/items/cards. Like imagine using a "weapon" that activated some flying fairy robots that assisted you and killed enemies. Or a card that automatically recovered your MP in time. Or a magic shield which protected you from one hit every time you cast it. I mean, the combat could have been made a lot more fun, but it's very basic.
  • Controls:
    • Only three weapon/item slots, one of which is taken by your sword. This is not enough. Should consider a shortcut button like say L2+ X, Y, B for three additional slots.
    • Having to hold A to run. Should have a menu option to make running default if player wants.
    • Can only run after a dodge roll. This should not be necessary. Just allow running by default and it solves the issue. Also, running into an obstacle cancels your run, so you have to roll again to start running. And rolling consumes your stamina, so if there is lots of debris around, it can be really annoying (especially in a boss fight).
    • Having to hold L2 to lock on. Again, make it a toggle so you don't have to hold the button.
    • Parry is so slow to activate that it's not very fun and practical to use.
  • Excess:
    • What I mean here is that some puzzles/secrets like the holy cross are repeated excessively. The fun in puzzles if figuring out the trick, but once you know, the rest just becomes a chore. I'd rather have preferred some more unique puzzles than just repeating the same logic in different ways.
  • Gauntlet/Arena:
    • I felt that this was needless difficulty increase, and it could have just been left as some optional thing for players that wanted it rather than having it as the critical path. The game does have accessibility options to get around this, but from a design point of view, it should have been left as optional.

Overall, this was such an amazing game. The more I played, the more I fell in love with it. Going in blind is the best way to enjoy this. The instructional manual has to be one of the best in-game mechanics in gaming. This game deserves GOTY just for that. The pros more than makes up for some of the cons here, and I highly recommend people try this game. It's available on Gamepass, and it'll soon be coming to PlayStation. People that haven't played it are in for a treat.

Just remember, go in blind as much as possible.

TLDR: My GOTY so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom