• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden | OT | North American Witcher

thatJohann

I'm enjoying the game but I find the level up mechanics very confusing, like the skill points and things like that, so I'm kinda just clicking things randomly and activating circles, whatever that is. Not sure why that part is not clicking for me.

Last edited:
Not my screenshot, but had to share it here nonetheless.

GH1W-wFWkAM6381

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I think I’m approaching the end, but not really. This game is pretty fucking big.

Just reached the snowy area. Any game that does that snow build up on the clothes your character has on automatically scores huge points with me.

o9Lg6wG.jpg
dCnXcSe.jpg
JEIaZeP.jpg
szo3TKs.jpg

GymWolf

I kinda wanna try it but abysmal enemy quality and middling combat are 2 big negatives for what it look like a decently long and big game.

Story and atmosphere can only get me that far if i'm gonna get bored of fighting the same enemies over and over.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I kinda wanna try it but abysmal enemy quality and middling combat are 2 big negatives for what it look like a decently long and big game.

Story and atmosphere can only get me that far if i'm gonna get bored of fighting the same enemies over and over.

The enemy variety is definitely weak, however the combat is anything but middling especially after you get your rifle and more of Antea's powers. Switching off between her and Red on the fly during encounters is usually really satisfying once everything clicks, especially with that gun. The haptics for it only add more to the goodness of making those one hit killshots.

Flabagast

I think the game is way too long , I loved what I played until the fourth main area but I just have fatigue right now, and I switched to Rebirth so wont be going back on this one before long.

I still rest on a positive impression mind you, but this could have been much tighter imho

GymWolf

The enemy variety is definitely weak, however the combat is anything but middling especially after you get your rifle and more of Antea's powers. Switching off between her and Red on the fly during encounters is usually really satisfying once everything clicks, especially with that gun. The haptics for it only add more to the goodness of making those one hit killshots.
No offense but we probably have different taste when it comes to third person combat, remember our callisto debacle, i watched enough footage of the game and it really looks middling for the most part, people in here comparing this thing with gow must really have a diet based on cheese and phil's nuts :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also i'm reading that the game has a lot of backtracking and it lose steam when you reach half game and the gameplay formula gets pretty stale, and the other half is just slogging throught, but this could be very personal, i take these impressions like a grain of salt.

Maybe when i find it for very cheap, i can't say that i ever fully enjoyed a dontnod game, their best was vampyr and i thought it was barely a 6\10, the first episode of life of strange downright gave me pubic lices :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
No offense but we probably have different taste when it comes to third person combat, remember our callisto debacle, i watched enough footage of the game and it really looks middling for the most part, people in here comparing this thing with gow must really have a diet based on cheese and phil's nuts :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also i'm reading that the game has a lot of backtracking and it lose steam when you reach half game and the gameplay formula gets pretty stale, and the other half is just slogging throught, but this could be very personal, i take these impressions like a grain of salt.

Maybe when i find it for very cheap, i can't say that i ever fully enjoyed a dontnod game, their best was vampyr and i thought it was barely a 6\10, the first episode of life of strange downright gave me pubic lices :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Haha suit yourself. Its why I dont watch other people play stuff. However they play 99% of the time isnt the way I play and therefore a poor representation of the experience to me.

It definitely isnt GOW combat thats for sure lol

CosmicComet

The more I see of the game the less interested I get.

It being in colonial north america instead of a fictional setting was strike one.

And then the apparent enemy variety being low.

And then Antea's fisticuffs ghost combat looks so lame and off putting that I can't get over it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
68 hours in and I still have awhile to go. Im not going for 100% (and it requires at least two playthroughs anyway) but even still going for mostly everything in terms of side quests and collectishits Im going to easily put 100 hours into this.

It's a big fucking game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Alright should wrap this up today and can finally move on to Rebirth or whatever else.

87 hours total and this includes NOT collecting all collectibles or completing 100% overall. All of that time is due to sidequests and backtracking and getting around the god awful map/ navigational system.

While a pretty awesome experience overall and will most definitely be on my GOTY list this is just another example of a game that was way too big for its own good (Vampyr had an even shittier map and it took me half the time if we’re talkin DontNod titles).

I still totally recommend it for action adventure peeps (but lemme just wipe this final boss first. Never know what kinda bullshit will pop off) just be ready for a lengthy time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My gamefly rental is on the way, couldn't find much online but based on the few videos, looks like the Xbox version has less performance stops, so getting that one.

Looking forward to it.

adamsapple

Got my copy, played an hour or two so far. Seems like the production values are pretty good for an AA game. Also, you rarely see games with a couple together from the start. The story also seems pretty decent so far, setting up the mystery of an entire town's haunting. Good voice acting also goes a long way to set the tone.

Also, this game seems to be the first one I've seen where the Photo mode changes the game to Quality mode automatically, so you don't have to change it in the options first. The one-on-one conversation scenes also do that (along with the 'proper' cut-scenes). I'm surprised more games haven't done this.

The performance mode is no slouch, the game seems to run pretty damn smooth (Series X w/ VRR here).

Some pictures from the first hour of the game:

q0dJKUo.jpeg

8mFLj8I.jpeg

eY5G4BY.jpeg

g6de7AV.jpeg

qf7jThX.jpeg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Got my copy, played an hour or two so far. Seems like the production values are pretty good for an AA game. Also, you rarely see games with a couple together from the start. The story also seems pretty decent so far, setting up the mystery of an entire town's haunting. Good voice acting also goes a long way to set the tone.

Also, this game seems to be the first one I've seen where the Photo mode changes the game to Quality mode automatically, so you don't have to change it in the options first. The one-on-one conversation scenes also do that (along with the 'proper' cut-scenes). I'm surprised more games haven't done this.

The performance mode is no slouch, the game seems to run pretty damn smooth (Series X w/ VRR here).

Some pictures from the first hour of the game:

q0dJKUo.jpeg

8mFLj8I.jpeg

eY5G4BY.jpeg

g6de7AV.jpeg

qf7jThX.jpeg

Youve got a hell of a journey ahead of you. Enjoy.

Best in game couple ever. A perfect example of diversity done right. It just is what it is. No forcefulness.

adamsapple

Damn, this game is tight. Also should get the award for the best compass ever, it leads you exactly to anywhere you want to go lol.

Story:

Just 'spared' Kate, since it was a fucked up situation and the settlement will probably not survive without the Thickskin siblings.

Also. the older Thickskin sister is straight up the "You know nothing, Jon Snow" lady.

8PYU73h.jpeg

XVOhNdT.jpeg

NAL4glK.jpeg

pVaG4q1.jpeg

j13qT8M.jpeg

9mRdDNK.jpeg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's like a cross between Hellblade and Ghost of Tsushima.

It's a whole mix of a bunch of stuff done pretty right. Lotta Tomb Raider reboot exploration satisfaction.

You can make some pretty sweet builds eventually. I focused entirely on the rifle and had a blast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

The Doctor side quest is a real 'makes you think' quest.

The doctor poisoned a man who was already dying from syphlis, but was about to marry her sister and could have very well infected her with it as well. Who do you blame in this case.

I ended up absolving the ghost, since I think I'm gonna stick to the option that are positive in 'sending' the Antea.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The Doctor side quest is a real 'makes you think' quest.

The doctor poisoned a man who was already dying from syphlis, but was about to marry her sister and could have very well infected her with it as well. Who do you blame in this case.

I ended up absolving the ghost, since I think I'm gonna stick to the option that are positive in 'sending' the Antea.

That was the first of many doozy haunting side quests I had to deal with.

I did the same as you.

adamsapple

Couple of more pictures, enjoying my time with the game. Currently in the part of the story where I'm doing some quests at a Fort. If I play this again, I'll take the southern route and see what quests happen there (unless it's a case where the game will make you go both routes anyway).

ndzNhJC.jpeg

kIKVpIP.jpeg

tMRBZvK.jpeg

IvlwnmY.jpeg

DaOU8QP.jpeg

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

This is a definite AA game - a bit janky, but doing unorthodox things and probably costing less than 30-40mln€. Great experience, as most Focus Interactive games.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Couple of more pictures, enjoying my time with the game. Currently in the part of the story where I'm doing some quests at a Fort. If I play this again, I'll take the southern route and see what quests happen there (unless it's a case where the game will make you go both routes anyway).

ndzNhJC.jpeg

kIKVpIP.jpeg

tMRBZvK.jpeg

IvlwnmY.jpeg

DaOU8QP.jpeg

You will need to take both routes

adamsapple

God dayum, the end of the Hamlet questline is excellent. The plot and writing for this one specific Witch questline is giving me a lot of "Bloody Barren" shades from Witcher 3.

What a fucking shame this game has come and gone without making any splash. It deserves more.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Killed the first Spectre, that was one lame bossfight. Game is solid but repetitive. Guess it cant be a DontNod game without some gay romance.

adamsapple

Killed the first Spectre, that was one lame bossfight. Game is solid but repetitive. Guess it cant be a DontNod game without some gay romance.

Combat was the weakest part but I really enjoyed the world, the central narrative and how even the side quests you do factor into the main narrative.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I started playing again now that I have some time, and boy am I liking this game.
Very interesting setting, good narrative and VO, quality side quests, great graphics.
This is a AA bordering AAA. These are the efforts I would like to see succeed as a single player gamer.

Oh and no (very little?) Woke BS.

Hats off don't nod.

I was gonna buy this now that it's on sale on ps5 spring sale until I learned that it performs a little worse on ps5 than SX up to 10 frames lower when drops happen in performance mode AND the devs have not put out a single patch for the game (on either platform) since launch!

I find that to be totally unacceptable for a game that has performance issues and game breaking bugs (which I learned of via reddit).

What is it with 2024 and bad performance? DD2, Rise of the Ronin, Suicide Squad, Banishers all have major performance issues. At least those other games have been patched though. No word from devs either as to when to expect an update ...

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I was gonna buy this now that it's on sale on ps5 spring sale until I learned that it performs a little worse on ps5 than SX up to 10 frames lower when drops happen in performance mode AND the devs have not put out a single patch for the game (on either platform) since launch!

I find that to be totally unacceptable for a game that has performance issues and game breaking bugs (which I learned of via reddit).

What is it with 2024 and bad performance? DD2, Rise of the Ronin, Suicide Squad, Banishers all have major performance issues. At least those other games have been patched though. No word from devs either as to when to expect an update ...

I just read this and couple of people mentioned that it did have a patch? I myself am playing on PC so cant really vouch but these guys also say it runs pretty well on PS5 (apart from taking some time to load the map apparently).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I started playing again now that I have some time, and boy am I liking this game.
Very interesting setting, good narrative and VO, quality side quests, great graphics.
This is a AA bordering AAA. These are the efforts I would like to see succeed as a single player gamer.

Oh and no (very little?) Woke BS.

Hats off don't nod.

It’s the most AAA AA game I’ve ever played easily

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

This game doesn’t have MAJOR performance issues. At all.

What is it with 2024 and retarded hyperbole

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Holy hell this game is gargantuan and I am loving every bit of it.
The map just keeps opening and opening and the skills tree keeps expanding. At the same time the whole map is intricately created, with some dark souls type loops which had me amazed. You can walk the whole map or fast travel through fires you light (very dark soulsy).
All the while the graphics, art style, VO, cut-scenes, animations are absolutely top-notch.
This is Sony AAA level effort. A lot of love and resources went into this game. I wonder what was the budget.
I know the developers have said that the publisher is happy with the sales. I hope so cause looking at the anemic number of players playing it, I feel disheartened. This is a must play single player game.

Last edited:
This game doesn’t have MAJOR performance issues. At all.

What is it with 2024 and retarded hyperbole

Apparently on PS5 it does as stated in my original post. If you think otherwise feel free to explain why I'm wrong no need to resort to name calling. I even stated I learned this after scouring Reddit so I wasn't even speaking as if I was factually correct. Please add to the discussion that was the whole point of my post since there's hardly any good info on this game.

intbal

Apparently on PS5 it does as stated in my original post. If you think otherwise feel free to explain why I'm wrong no need to resort to name calling. I even stated I learned this after scouring Reddit so I wasn't even speaking as if I was factually correct. Please add to the discussion that was the whole point of my post since there's hardly any good info on this game.
The performance problems on PS5 are limited to the beginning of the game, according to this video.
Although he says there are still some minor drops after that.
However, that was two months ago. Perhaps the game has been patched since then.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am still taking my sweet time through this amazing game but just wanted to come in and write about the side-quests. Man the side-quests in this game are something else. No other game, barring maybe witcher 3, has come close to the complexity, length and originality of side-quests as in this game.
I think I am going to complete every single one, and not because of the rewards I get but because they are so good!
I love this game.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I am still taking my sweet time through this amazing game but just wanted to come in and write about the side-quests. Man the side-quests in this game are something else. No other game, barring maybe witcher 3, has come close to the complexity, length and originality of side-quests as in this game.
I think I am going to complete every single one, and not because of the rewards I get but because they are so good!
I love this game.
I don’t agree, sure they are well written but they are always the same: someone has done wrong / been done wrong to/by a dead friend or family member, you must find what and then choose to spare/kill.

And all 20+ quests follow the exact same pattern without variation, with at maximum 3 persons involved. I got pretty tired of it by the end, and I liked the game at the beginning.

At best they are as good as Witcher 3 beast contracts, but far far away from its meatier side quests

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I don’t agree, sure they are well written but they are always the same: someone has done wrong / been done wrong to/by a dead friend or family member, you must find what and then choose to spare/kill.

And all 20+ quests follow the exact same pattern without variation, with at maximum 3 persons involved. I got pretty tired of it by the end, and I liked the game at the beginning.

At best they are as good as Witcher 3 beast contracts, but far far away from its meatier side quests

I mean I do get where you are coming from, dont get me wrong, but I also find thats a bit reductive. At the end of the day all stories would come down to someone doing something wrong etc. if stripped enough.
What I feel makes these side-quests interesting are the how random and lively the characters feel, interesting twists in the stories, good voice acting and interesting places to visit.
But now that you've mentioned it, I do agree with 'mostly 3 people being involved' thing. Didnt notice it before.
Who knows maybe I will get tired once I've done like 15 of these quests. But for now I am loving these.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
A new patch dropped a couple of days ago, for people who were wondering about that.

I personally wasn't facing any issues on PC but good to know that they haven't abandoned the game.

Top Bottom