• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden | OT | North American Witcher

PanzerCute

I’m tempted to look into it but Dontnod is a red flag. I need to know what you people consider great before I buy. What’s your high bar?
No woke BS in this. Dontnod has multiple teams and this one does not care about that nonsense.

If you enjoy well written RPGs and wants some fresh and uncommon stuff, this will be right up your alley. As it is a AA game, just dont expect the technical quality and polish of a blockbuster obviously.

I have been a fan of RPG for 30+ years and games like this are my absolute jam: great writing, unconventional setting, tough moral dilemmas, great replayability and fascinating worlds.

Last edited:
No woke BS in this. Dontnod has multiple teams and this one does not care about that nonsense.

If you enjoy well written RPGs and wants some fresh and uncommon stuff, this will be right up your alley. As it is a AA game, just dont expect the technical quality and polish of a blockbuster obviously.

I have been a fan of RPG for 30+ years and games like this are my absolute jam: great writing, unconventional setting, tough moral dilemmas, great replayability and fascinating worlds.

yes. This is not the Tell Me Why (which I still enjoyed) devs which were very in your face with the inclusion stuff. This is more Vampyr and Remember Me. And since Im not getting a witcher game this year, this is as close as it gets to playing a game full of witcher contacts.

I am absolutely loving this game on PC so far, about 12 hours in. It is very much inspired by God of War, only with ghosts, in my opinion from the way the semi-open world is designed, including gaps to squeeze through, cliffs with yellow markings to climb and hidden paths to secrets to find, to the always-interesting banter between the two leads, Red and Antea, and similar combat. The visuals are also excellent as is music, the dialogue and voice performances. The menus are also pretty slick and stylish. It's a very polished game. I would say the combat is perhaps the game's weakness element, not because it is bad, but because the enemy variety is limited to basically possessed wolves, humans and ghosts/spectres. I have only encountered boss fight so far (The Beast) but that was really well-done with the creature design being a real highlight.

What elevates this game beyond just being a clone, albeit one that is very good, are the hauntings and the way you can decide the outcomes of these. It makes it very intriguing for me. Do you ascend the ghost (peacefully), banish it (to oblivion) or do you blame the person who is being haunted (where they will die)? This choice can help Antea, Red's dead ghost wife, either ascend herself or be resurrected. It really is an interesting concept that gives the game more depth than I expected and makes me carefully analyse the evidence before making my decision for each haunting. The hauntings themselves are not that difficult to solve but they are fun so far.

It's a great game and deserves to do well but I fear it will be overlooked by many.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Played on PS4 Pro, had no issues. For games like these I am really tempted to buy a Steam Deck just so I can actually get through them 15 minutes per day (father with kids).

It got a 60fps patch on the PS5 as well. When i originally played through it on the Pro I didnt have issues either. Fired it up a year or so ago for a few hours and was totally fine. The 60fps is sweet bonus.

Flabagast

Nice to see the game picking up some steam.

The gameplay opens up nicely once you get the rifle, and you can also go pretty in depth in how you set up your build with really powerful combinations (even if with eight gear pieces which each have their own modifiers it can become difficult to keep track of what does what)

However I am afraid that the game could become quite long in the tooth after a while, it’s quite big (50 hours I reckon if you do almost everything) and I am not sure there is enough variety here to sustain such a long run time.

Atmosphere and stories are really interesting though, so it’s not boring for now (I am past the 20 hours mark, deep into the mines)

Luipadre

This game going into backlog for sure. I was playing yakuza 8, but helldivers came out and im playing that one since release, also FF7 rebirth soon, i cant... so many games

PanzerCute

I was off today and played seven more hours straight.

The gameplay gets way better once you unlock some skills and the rifle: there is not much ennemy variety but its still really fun to play.

It is also really cool to go back in previous zones and open more paths with new skills, and damn the atmosphere and storytelling is top notch.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I was off today and played seven more hours straight.

The gameplay gets way better once you unlock some skills and the rifle: there is not much ennemy variety but its still really fun to play.

It is also really cool to go back in previous zones and open more paths with new skills, and damn the atmosphere and storytelling is top notch.

Are the Metroid-like elements of backtracking more similar to something like the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy?

Even the rocky mineral materials you can collect look like the ones from TR. Not a complaint just an observation.

OHlwxey.jpg

Last edited:

Dazraell

I've read so many positive impressions that I'm gonna jump in and play this for sure. Not right now as I'm busy with catching back on my backlog (and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is around the corner), but will definitely buy it later this year

PanzerCute

Are the Metroid-like elements of backtracking more similar to something like the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy?

Even the rocky mineral materials you can collect look like the ones from TR. Not a complaint just an observation.

OHlwxey.jpg
I only played the first TR reboot and it was on PS3 so I dont remember sorry :p

What I can tell you is that I found a few walls or blocked path in the first big area that I could not break and shortly after the first big boss I unlocked an ability to break them. I went back and found a few extra mini areas with some stuff to collect or do (dont want to spoil it to you)

Looking at the map, I think we will have to backtrack at some point, as some areas seem to be opened later in the game that way.

All in all, this is classic but solid level design imo.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I only played the first TR reboot and it was on PS3 so I dont remember sorry :p

What I can tell you is that I found a few walls or blocked path in the first big area that I could not break and shortly after the first big boss I unlocked an ability to break them. I went back and found a few extra mini areas with some stuff to collect or do (dont want to spoil it to you)

Looking at the map, I think we will have to backtrack at some point, as some areas seem to be opened later in the game that way.

All in all, this is classic but solid level design imo.

Are the newly breakable walls marked on the map or do you need to actually remember where they were?

Flabagast

As a matter of fact I'd advice against going too far of the quests path to explore the regions, as as you progress the game will unlock new side quests in previously visited aeras that will make you go to unvisited places, and so you'll have to backtrack a lot if you explore everything as soon as it is available

kingsamj

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. I love having to make an "oath" at the beginning of the game, and how you feel yourself making biased decisions in the haunting cases as you try to justify choices that keep your oath.

Also, I think the cutscenes in this game look great. They might not be technical masterpieces (some depth-of-field artifacts and facial animations that don't look great) but the overall cinematography and editing is outstanding. It's stylish but doesn't call tons of attention to itself. In particular I really loved early-game cutscenes in the meetinghouse.

Flabagast

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. I love having to make an "oath" at the beginning of the game, and how you feel yourself making biased decisions in the haunting cases as you try to justify choices that keep your oath.

Also, I think the cutscenes in this game look great. They might not be technical masterpieces (some depth-of-field artifacts and facial animations that don't look great) but the overall cinematography and editing is outstanding. It's stylish but doesn't call tons of attention to itself. In particular I really loved early-game cutscenes in the meetinghouse.
Yeah I don't know really why but cutscenes look really great indeed even if characters models are not of the highest quality. I think this might have to do with the heavy post processing applied (bokeh & film grain notably) as well as expert framing. If case you had'nt noticed they drop to 30fps even in performance mode, there must be intensive rendering happening there.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I’m tempted to look into it but Dontnod is a red flag. I need to know what you people consider great before I buy. What’s your high bar?
I despise woke nonsense and was a bit apprehensive before buying this when I saw the developer, but 4 hours in there is nothing that bothered me at all. Great game up until now.

I like The Witcher series, The Last of Us, Souls series, A Plague Tale and for example the lesser known RPG Greedfall.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sidenote observation: This game is getting the jump on (and doing a hell of a job) with interracial couples in an action game with heavy drama and great writing, much like what I’m guessing we all hope GTA6 to be.

Just remember Banishers was there first.

What was the last game that was action oriented and narrative driven that involved a male/female couple?

Humdinger

I wasn't aware of this game at all. This thread is the first I've heard of it. Sounds great.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Sidenote observation: This game is getting the jump on (and doing a hell of a job) with interracial couples in an action game with heavy drama and great writing, much like what I’m guessing we all hope GTA6 to be.

Just remember Banishers was there first.

What was the last game that was action oriented and narrative driven that involved a male/female couple?
PoP 2008?

I cant get over how good some of these cutscene convos are. The first real meet with Thickskin was fantastic. Both her and Red sizing each other up with Anthea providing discreet insight. Great script.
And the hammer and tongs haunting,
they actually give the choice to Blame the victim of abuse. Sorry Nellie I just got to see it play out.

The cons: Enemy variety is baaaaad and some side activities are already getting repetitive ( you know the one, and yet Its almost mandatory for the +1 attribute power up)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Definitely going to be one of THE games this year people missed out on. It’s the most AAA AA game I’ve ever played at this point. It’s a slow burn with the story and the drip feed of additional combat gameplay, but man. So far bravo to DontNod. Already know it’ll be in my top 5 for 2024.

fEkjeYF.jpg
glBaayF.jpg
ee38RHk.jpg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I cant get over how good some of these cutscene convos are. The first real meet with Thickskin was fantastic. Both her and Red sizing each other up with Anthea providing discreet insight. Great script.
And the hammer and tongs haunting,
they actually give the choice to Blame the victim of abuse. Sorry Nellie I just got to see it play out.

The cons: Enemy variety is baaaaad and some side activities are already getting repetitive ( you know the one, and yet Its almost mandatory for the +1 attribute power up)

I haven’t even gotten to a haunting side quest yet but people are saying they’re akin to LA Noire cases? 😮😮😮

Flabagast

I haven’t even gotten to a haunting side quest yet but people are saying they’re akin to LA Noire cases? 😮😮😮
No they are definitely not lmao let's not get ahead of ourselves, they are more akin to The Witcher contracts : the story can be interesting but you are only following a dotted marker on the map until resolution, with zero deductive work required from the player.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
No they are definitely not lmao let's not get ahead of ourselves, they are more akin to The Witcher contracts : the story can be interesting but you are only following a dotted marker on the map until resolution, with zero deductive work required from the player.

Either or works for me. I’m taking so much time exploring everywhere. It’s fucking fantastic.

I keep hearing the game is too easy even on hard mode. Also, guess9ng this game runs poorly on console? There's no info available on resolution and framerate numbers anywhere on the internet and that usually means the devs are keeping quiet on purpose.

PanzerCute

I keep hearing the game is too easy even on hard mode. Also, guess9ng this game runs poorly on console? There's no info available on resolution and framerate numbers anywhere on the internet and that usually means the devs are keeping quiet on purpose.
I play in the hardest difficulty setting and yes, its not very hard, but I take my time so I have great stuff and a good level.

Performance wise, there are a few drops in FR but they last like 2sec and are not bothering me. There was one zone tho where the framerate was bad, but weirdly enough when I came back it was fluid.

No deal breaker for both of these cons imo.

Flabagast

On PS5 what’s weird is that the more the game runs, the worse the performance gets. I hadn’t close the game since the beginning and when I arrived in the snow area frame rate was kinda low and there were several freezes.

I then closed and restarted the game and it was smooth again, including the menus that can have a lag to them, so I’d advise to close the game when you turn the console off.

GymWolf

Is combat as bad and clunky as it looks in any video i saw of this game?

Also heard that enemy variety is also pretty bad.

El Muerto

This game looks great but is it better than Vampyr? That was probably the worst and cringiest game i played, felt like a game on ps2 that was based on a movie. Never liked any of the Dont Nod games except for Remember Me.

Flabagast

Is combat as bad and clunky as it looks in any video i saw of this game?

Also heard that enemy variety is also pretty bad.
No actually the combat can be quite fun, if a little shallow maybe. Once you have the rifle you have nice opportunities for combo and synergies.

However enemy variety is definitely very low yes, one of the strongest minus of the game

Finished the Beast questline and the game teased theres more to that story down the line. Awesome cast of characters so far I really like the trapper sisters.
Combat starting to grow on me now with the Rifle and abilities you can combo in and out with Anthea. Parrying still sucks though. Only Fromsoft can make parrying feel worthwhile.

Top Bottom