• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden | OT | North American Witcher

Flabagast

Release date: February 13th, 2024
Platforms: PC, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5
Developer: Don't Nod
Publisher: Focus Entertainment
Pricing: $59.99 USD in NTSC territories

1.jpg

Last edited:

Flabagast

Played 5 hours for now and it's all good.

Combat is currently lacking a bit of impact but the care about narration and characters all make up for it. Really nice interaction between both main characters notably.

The game is clearly under the radar of a lot of people and will most likely bomb. Still I hope that's won't be the case

Last edited:

Flabagast

I love the main male MC in this. VO, personnality and dialogue are perfect, really a compelling lead.

The gameplay opens up quite greatly after 5 hours, and the narrative quests are quite good and surprising, this is a good impression of Sony big hitters imho. Such a shame game is not more talked about.

PanzerCute

Such a shame game is not more talked about.
Focus should have pushed it back to April/May, there are just way too many great RPGs releasing in Q1, albeit mainly japanese.

But I guess they needed it to be released at this time for financial reason.

I am personally gonna get the game tomorrow, but I have to finish Persona 3 before starting it.

Flabagast

Focus should have pushed it back to April/May, there are just way too many great RPGs releasing in Q1, albeit mainly japanese.

But I guess they needed it to be released at this time for financial reason.

I am personally gonna get the game tomorrow, but I have to finish Persona 3 before starting it.
Let's hope there is a nice word of mouth and that the game sales pick up over time.

Cutscenes in this are also quite good imho, some scenes are really tense

Embearded

Bought Vampyr but i couldn't get over the first hour of the game mainly because of the controls, they felt weird.
Is this better in that regard

PanzerCute

Let's hope there is a nice word of mouth and that the game sales pick up over time.

Cutscenes in this are also quite good imho, some scenes are really tense
I think the game will sell over time, these kinds of AA RPG are not that frequent. Vampyr did really well in the long run, so hopefully it will be the same for Banishers.

PanzerCute

Bought Vampyr but i couldn't get over the first hour of the game mainly because of the controls, they felt weird.
Is this better in that regard
The first hour of Vampyr was terrible tbh, once you get to the hospital the game really starts to shine imo.
And I loved the combat in that game: it was a bit clunky at launch but they patched it soon after. Some bosses were really nice too.

Embearded

The first hour of Vampyr was terrible tbh, once you get to the hospital the game really starts to shine imo.
And I loved the combat in that game: it was a bit clunky at launch but they patched it soon after. Some bosses were really nice too.
Thanks, i'll give it a second chance then!

I was actually surprised how much of it I saw and liked with a review yesterday. I have so much in my backlog to play and way less time than ever, but I'll pick this up on a sale in the future and hopefully get to it.

Comparisons to Witcher really have me interested. I hope y'all are enjoying it that picked it up and look forward to more impressions.

PanzerCute

Thanks, i'll give it a second chance then!
Its basically a poor man's Bloodborne but you can unlock some very nice moves and the gameplay will get richer during all game. Really enjoyed it, especially if you decide to not kill anyone: the challenge will be there!
I am almost at the store to buy Banishers. I really look forward to playing it (when I finish Persona 3)

Roberts

Can't really comment on the game much - I had a 30 minute break from work so I loaded it up and checked the beginning. After playing pretty much nothing but Immortals of Aveum for the last 5 days or so, I was pleasantly reminded how smooth a solid 60fps feels. Gameplay so far seems similar to Vampyr (Souls-like combat in more traditional narrative based action RPG wrapper) so nothing groundbreaking, but I was really impressed by the whole presentation. It looks good, basically AA game that isn't far off from AAA, the writing seems to be fine and written by adults, HDR elevates the visuals. Looks promising.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Game is fucking awesome so far. Great writing. Great acting. Solid atmosphere. Late 1690s Northeast North America is super solid. Combat seems more snappier than Vampyr but definitely a growth from that and Remember Me. Soulsy Light indeed.

Also

Miu1lsY.jpg

Awesome character. Strong black female done right. No sass. Nothing obvious. She just is.

rz2nl4V.jpg
TP9zTVr.jpg
vuxLftV.jpg

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I played the first 4 hours and this is really, really good.

The atmosphere is mesmerizing from the get go, the writing is top notch, voice acting is excellent, characters are great, visually this is really classy for a AA game and I also really enjoy the combat (I play on the hardest difficulty setting). Like Vampyr, the moral choices are really tough to do, and I can already feel that the game will be an emotional rollercoaster at times.

My only (very minor) grip is the sound design which is a step down from Vampyr: the music doesnt loop sometimes and just stops, the sound effects are not punchy enough and the OST is good but could have been more engaging.

The beginning is quite linear but I stopped at what seems to be a more open zone with different paths and side quests to do.

I cant wait to go back.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I went into this thinking this was just gonna be some ghostbuster duo in the colonial times.

It’s really more like complicated exorcism. With weapons.

Pretty fucking cool.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Game is fucking awesome so far. Great writing. Great acting. Solid atmosphere. Late 1690s Northeast North America is super solid. Combat seems more snappier than Vampyr but definitely a growth from that and Remember Me. Soulsy Light indeed.

Also

Miu1lsY.jpg

Awesome character. Strong black female done right. No sass. Nothing obvious. She just is.

rz2nl4V.jpg
TP9zTVr.jpg
vuxLftV.jpg
WTH with the IQ of those screens???

FSR2 striking again?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Also

Miu1lsY.jpg

rz2nl4V.jpg
TP9zTVr.jpg
vuxLftV.jpg
Yeah, it was on my radar for quite a bit, tons of ads on X and some on YouTube, glad to see people are liking it (great story and characters done right sounds really good). Supporting the game and dev.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

It’s good. Cool setting, interesting story, good vo/acting. Combat is a bit bare bones but I’m still really early. Don’t Nod continues to improve, I was pleasantly surprised by Vampyr and this appears to be a further refinement of their design.
Vampyr was an excellent game, atmosphere was dripping.

EDMIX

Played the first hour. Love the moment to moment dialogue and the atmosphere is dripping. I can see how the environments gonna get samey the further into the game but if the story holds up I wont care.
Yeah this game is soo good. The writing is far better than I thought. More of a classical feel that I wish modern gow adopted.
Love the first haunting case after the intro.

Damn you really selling me on this game lol

This wasn't really on my radar, but....shiiiiittttt it is now.

I might pick it up later this year.

If you really like it, I'll give it a shot as well.

I bought Vampyr day 1 and absolutely *loved* it, fact is this is releasing at the worst possible time, I'm super busy with Yakuza 8, Tekken 8, Helldivers 2 and Tomb Raider 1-3, FF VII Rebirth in 2 weeks, wish some of these devs would time their releases better, will definitely pick it up later this year though.

Top Bottom