• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turtle Rock Studios adds Denuvo DRM to PC release of Back 4 Blood a week before launch

elliot5

Both are, unless you're a dev.

"- Capcom DRM is responsible for the performance issues. Denuvo Anti-Tamper , while present, is not the cause of the slowdown issues.
- EMPRESS' crack forces the DRM to accept a fake license. Denuvo Anti-Tamper is still present and running in the cracked version of RE Village and has not been removed."

doesn't take being an active dev to not spread bullshit

Last edited:

Fake

"- Capcom DRM is responsible for the performance issues. Denuvo Anti-Tamper , while present, is not the cause of the slowdown issues.
- EMPRESS' crack forces the DRM to accept a fake license. Denuvo Anti-Tamper is still present and running in the cracked version of RE Village and has not been removed."

DF said is both Denuvo and Capcom own piracy program in conjunction. So, who to believe may I wonder.

And you said was a poor coding.

elliot5

DF said is both Denuvo and Capcom own piracy program in conjunction. So, who to believe may I wonder.

And you said was a poor coding.
because Denuvo's implementation comes down to how it is integrated within the game's code. For example, RIME had poor performance with Denuvo bc they were making excessive calls overloading the CPU. Not because Denuvo is bad.

Fake

because Denuvo's implementation comes down to how it is integrated within the game's code. For example, RIME had poor performance with Denuvo bc they were making excessive calls overloading the CPU. Not because Denuvo is bad.

Are you saying that may vary between games? Because helps a lot.

Was already proved that Denuvo push CPU. Poor coding or not just make things worst. Its up to you believe or not.

ShadowLag

L1YIIAg.png

K8LkeIl.png

Kinda fucked really

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

jurassic park water GIF

elliot5

Are you saying that may vary between games? Because helps a lot.

Was already proved that Denuvo push CPU. Poor coding or not just make things worst. Its up to you believe or not.

What do you mean already proved? If that were the case then every game with denuvo before and after would see performance gains. That wasn't the case with DOOM, Devil May Cry 5...

If there's bad code implementation of Denuvo then there may be perf impacts. That's the case for any tool/script/algorithm.

elliot5

Are you kidding right? Go check videos and google dude.
Denuvo Performance Cost & FPS Loss Tested - Conclusion | TechPowerUp
"In all GPU-limited scenarios we tested, the impact of Denuvo is completely negligible with well below 1% and indistinguishable from "Denuvo off" for a human that's playing the game. Only when the game is CPU limited did we start seeing performance losses pop up, which are in the range of 3-4% and, surprisingly, fairly constant across all scenarios we tested.

We checked for this behavior not only with the high-end GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, but also with the mainstream Radeon RX 580, which is the current 1080p champion at around the $200-mark, and observed no surprises. Even bona-fide high-end AMD solutions such as the Radeon VII don't behave differently.

In yet another round of tests, we looked at Denuvo's performance impact with different CPU configurations and found no big losses there either—the performance hit stays constant at 3-4%. It's also worth mentioning that nearly every gamer PC will be running in a GPU-limited situation, or you'd have wasted money on a graphics card that's too fast for the given CPU. Considering that graphics card performance "costs more" than CPU performance, this is an unlikely scenario."

"As you can see, there is no performance drop while DAC is running." and FWIW id themselves aid any perf issues with Doom Eternal were not due to denuvo but some other issue introduced

I could go on. People scapegoat denuvo. But I'm done as this will just go in circles.

Unless B4B comes out and there are tests before and after that show any sort of significant difference, I'm not gonna be butthurt at Turtle Rock over nothing

Last edited:

hlm666

Out off the loop what does this mean
It's drm that encrypts/decrypts the program during runtime so hackers/crackers can't disassemble the program easily. So your pc ends up wasting cpu cycles constantly doing this denuvo work, which can end up causing stutters.

Yeh I was going to play it on game pass or buy it if it wasn’t on it, but after playing the beta I won’t. It’s just left 4 dead but 10+ years later with next to no changes.

Another example of why demos no longer exist.
i found the beta ok
It was just a small chunk of the main game but the blocks were there and we got alot more out of it than your usual quick and nasty demo/beta

Kenpachii

That link has denuvo specifically saying it does nothing of the sort. It doesn’t make sense that it would either.

Is this on PC Game Pass as well as console? If so I might download it and give it a go just to see if it has any issues.

Obviously it has a performance impact.

Rime is a good example, these guys are full of shit.

Speaking to Kotaku, a Denuvo spokesperson flatly denied that the DRM was having a negative impact on the game's performance. "Prior to release, we performed benchmark testing on the protected vs. unprotected versions of Rime. There was no performance impact on the version that is protected with Denuvo anti-tamper vs. the unprotected version."

The Rime developers at Grey Box gave some more qualified pushback against the performance impact accusations in a lengthy blog post. "The only thing that Denuvo is currently doing for us is checking to make certain that Steam’s (or Origin's) DRM is still attached to the game," the team writes. "There is a small performance hit associated with this, but at this time we do not believe it is causing the problems that are currently being reported. We might be wrong. We’re monitoring the situation."

That's just your conclusion.

Here's what the scene states about denuvo ( impress the source )

All in-game stutters like the one from when you kill a zombie are fixed because CApcom DRM's enty points ar epatched out so most of their function are never executed anymore.

This result in much smoother game experience. THIS IS PURE CANCER AND ANYONE WHO ACEPTS THIS IS NOTHING BUT A PATHETIC GARBAGE HUMAN SLAVE!.

So if you read this, yea its capcom drm that creates this problem.

However he says more and doesn't stop there.

And the worst is that their DRM was fully abfuscated in Denuvo's VM making it run even slower. I URGE THAT NO ONE ACCEPTS THIS, THE "CONSUMER" SHOULD BE TREATED BETTER THAN THIS!

He straight up says it does effect performance. And he even goes so far to not support this garbage ever.

Also here u got the rime crack scene:

“But the game will be much better without that huge abomination called Denuvo. In Rime that ugly creature went out of control – how do you like three fucking hundreds of THOUSANDS calls to “triggers” during initial game launch and savegame loading? Did you wonder why game loading times are so long – here is the answer.

In previous games like Sgw3, Nier, Prey there were only about 1000 “triggers” called, so we have x300 here. Next – 300,000 called “triggers” were just warmup for Denuvo, after 30 minutes of gameplay it became 2 f’ing MILLIONS of called “triggers”. Protection now calls about 10-30 triggers every second during actual gameplay, slowing game down. In previous games like Sgw3, Nier, Prey there were only about 1-2 “triggers” called every several minutes during gameplay, so do the math.”

Denuvo constantly pops up when performance issue's arrise drastically, same with village and with other games also. Some games maybe have good workarounds or implemented it well or simple just reserve permanent resources they never give free. The reality however is denuvo does nothing but be a negative force for gamers and people avoid it like the plague as result.

I had interest in the game if it was good, i liked the beta. buddy also wanted to play it. Both of us won't be buying it. And its fucking dumb to have this shit in this game anyway as they could have easily created online checks to online servers or even make online servers to start with, so its unplayable offline.

Last edited:

martino

i don't like drm but this.
the game is not even released how can we be sure denuvo is badly implemented (again) ?
People have proof ?
showme-show.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wait isn't it on GamePass even on PC? Why would anyone pay the full price for it? It's always online, so you don't own it anyway, buy when it's cheap and de-denuvoed.

Don't support this garbage practices.

Shubh_C63

Genuinely asking, Can we really fault a developer (not just this particular case) to not protect their interest.
yes denuvo impacts performance, so does every blade of grass in the game too.

I hate it, but I get it. I do follow piracy scene a bit and Denuvo has made a difference.

night13x

I was still thinking about getting this game (debating bc the beta did not do too much for me). After reading they slipped in drm at the last second....well that pretty much tells me how they are going to treat their game and community for the lifecycle of this game. I'll pass now. Once they remove the drm and the game is significantly cheaper I might bite. The biggest thing with me is that there is no campaign vs mode that I so adore from L4D series.

Needlecrash

Beta was so bad that I won’t even dl for free on gamepass
I really had high hopes for this. After playing get lackluster beta? Naw I'm good. Everything just felt off. Enemies are bullet sponges, you get a shit ton of ammo, enemies don't feel threatening, environments seem bland and you gotta buy weapons too. Not to mention the network connection being janky. Now, you want to add Denuvo? YALL MUHFUCKAS DON'T LEARN DO YOU?

Back to Left 4 Dead it is.

Last edited:

peronmls

Denuvo doesn't stay around forever as it's not really meant to. It's to prevent access to pirated copies during the launch period of a digital product. The game couldn't be that demanding anyway to run with it.

Trimesh

Banned
That link has denuvo specifically saying it does nothing of the sort. It doesn’t make sense that it would either.

Is this on PC Game Pass as well as console? If so I might download it and give it a go just to see if it has any issues.

It's happened so many times with so many different titles that it's practically a meme at this point. Clearly the vendor would want to downplay it, since the idea that the pirates are actually playing a better version of the game than the people that paid for it is not a great look for them.

Fbh

Seems like overkill for a multiplayer focused game.

It doesn't even support split screen or Lan parties. Who is going to pirate this? The 4 people that want to play alone withe AI?

Shame for those wanting to purchase on PC. Tbh though, this game isn’t very good at all. Denuvo is the least of the games problems.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why do developers (or maybe rather publishers, as I assume they're the ones who want DRM) do this knowing exactly the backlash they will get for it? It's the same story every single time, and it's just strange to me.

My interest in this game was already at zero though, so this just puts it in the negative.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

*she

*she

Sorry guilty ai can u ever forgive me

Why do developers (or maybe rather publishers, as I assume they're the ones who want DRM) do this knowing exactly the backlash they will get for it? It's the same story every single time, and it's just strange to me.

My interest in this game was already at zero though, so this just puts it in the negative.

Idiots. Valheim was pirated day one on the web, sold 7 mlllion copy's in 2 months or something made all 4 developers mighty rich over night.

Piracy hasn't been a problem for sales since forever on PC. the problem is bad games or to much money asking for a game which kills any hype for a game. Then when people do buy your product and it runs like absolute dog shit like re village did, u can bet they won't be returning.

Which funny enough results in more shit like denuvo in games by the same developers / publishers because they think its even more piracy that does it!!!!

They never learn.

Last edited:
Regardless of performance impact, I think it's reasonable to expect these types of decisions to be made prior to the availability of pre-orders, to let consumers make as informed a decision as possible. Adding notice of Denuvo implementation a mere week before launch reflects poorly on the developer and publisher both.

Chalk this up as yet another reason not to pre-order software.

Wildebeest

There isn't anyway of implementing DRM that makes software work better, it can only make it worse and more defective. That said it isn't clear how much this particular DRM can be blamed for the faults of developers who just don't debug their PC builds as much as they should. Since this is a multiplayer game, I suspect they put it in to slow down aim bot developers and other cheats, rather than copy protection.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Bummer. However, I'm playing on GP PC so that means I'll probably have it installed a week at most to play co-op with my sons then on to the next thing. I didn't play the beta, so I'm going in blind. We really enjoy co-op zombie shooters like L4D, WWZ, COD Zombies, SoD2, etc.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's happened so many times with so many different titles that it's practically a meme at this point. Clearly the vendor would want to downplay it, since the idea that the pirates are actually playing a better version of the game than the people that paid for it is not a great look for them.
Got any links where denuvo is definitively proven to cause performance issues?

read some of the links in posts above that show it’s just shoddy developer integration.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

This doesn't make sense since it's a multiplayer game. So they're adding another layer on top of it? I'm confuzzled.

Trimesh

Banned
Got any links where denuvo is definitively proven to cause performance issues?

read some of the links in posts above that show it’s just shoddy developer integration.

Yeah, its called personal experience. There are lots of games I've personally owned that came with Denuvo crap on them that were subsequently released without it - and they always worked better afterwards.

And as for "vendor of shitware product X claims it's actually good" - what the fuck do you expect them to say?

Fuz

Banned
Heaven forbid developers don't want people stealing their games for free. Greedy developers!
You know what affects games too? Piracy.
Yep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom