• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was looking as the X90h as the #3 model in the list. Dunno, might be worth just waiting or seeing a CX in store.

Have both 8-bit and 10-bit content, and have like a 4K@60fps and 4K@30fps games in a flash memory and test the tv's on the spot.

reinking

Gold Member
I think I am waiting until next models. By then 2.1 should be standard and open up more choices for console gaming. What might be better is if Sony offers 1440p @ 120 native on monitors.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think I am waiting until next models. By then 2.1 should be standard and open up more choices for console gaming. What might be better is if Sony offers 1440p @ 120 native on monitors.

If you already have a decent 4K HDR tv, no need to rush. And it won't hurt to wait like for few months and see what the new models will offer.

bargeparty

I can get what you're saying, I think I heard of something similar before, but was more like some type of burn-in that make like vertical stripes, or maybe it was just this one you're describing. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

It's not burn in. There's an avsforum thread dedicated to OLED screen uniformity: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ol...and-vignetting.2896737/page-487#post-60099290

Example: Hopefully this link goes right to the image

Another example:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

This only proves that there is no perfect tv, you need to pick your poison.:messenger_ok:

Last edited:

bargeparty

This only proves that there is no perfect tv, you need to pick your poison.:messenger_ok:

Eh. I think it's more about the manufacturing process, since some people have posted images of pretty clean panels.

Just means that LG has cornered the market and doesn't really care to fix the issues.

You can argue there is no perfect tv, but at $2000 and up we shouldn't be settling for this kind of QC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Eh. I think it's more about the manufacturing process, since some people have posted images of pretty clean panels.

Just means that LG has cornered the market and doesn't really care to fix the issues.

You can argue there is no perfect tv, but at $2000 and up we shouldn't be settling for this kind of QC.

Indeed, panel lottery can be tolerated for budget tv's, but when passing beyond $2000 quality control should be in check. I personally trust Sony in that regard, doesn't mean they don't have issues but been happy with their products.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So far really enjoying the LG 27GN950.

Super clean image with this IPS panel just not great contrast.

Kind of cool has an RGB light on the back that can be set to any color for ambient lighting or change colors and move in different patterns.

Can set it to react to sounds display on screen which is kind of cool in games especially World of Tanks firing the tank looks like a mini explosion behind the screen and in Rocket League when you score it does a little celebration of lights depending what color team you are on.

Can also set it to match the colors on screen just to add a little immersion which is the one I mainly use but only about 50% brightness.

Have it running on the pc 4k 144hz and it works perfectly with the Xbox current 1440p 120hz update.

Here is the lighting and it does have a fan but its very quiet.

zmFsI9w.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Kind of cool has an RGB light on the back that can be set to any color for ambient lighting or change colors and move in different patterns.

Can set it to react to sounds display on screen which is kind of cool in games especially World of Tanks firing the tank looks like a mini explosion behind the screen and in Rocket League when you score it does a little celebration of lights depending what color team you are on.

Can also set it to match the colors on screen just to add a little immersion which is the one I mainly use but only about 50% brightness.

Have it running on the pc 4k 144hz and it works perfectly with the Xbox current 1440p 120hz update.

zmFsI9w.jpg

That explosion part sounds crazy! I love those kinda gimmicks!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's actually sounds like fun! It could be synced with the PC RGB's, right?

Havent tried syncing it to my PC since its more hidden.

I also have the Logitech 560 speakers on another PC going to hook them up as well and see if I can get it all synced for shits and giggles.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Havent tried syncing it to my PC since its more hidden.

I also have the Logitech 560 speakers on another PC going to hook them up as well and see if I can get it all synced for shits and giggles.

Man PC gaming is full of RGB's. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Now at least you know what I use my gaming PC for, to crush 4K footage up to 500-600fps with ease, with much more room to go further.:messenger_winking_tongue:

Soodanim

Gold Member

zmFsI9w.jpg
An actual use for RGB lighting, that's nice.

I've always been interested in the idea of responsive lighting, and I looked into Philips' tech but it's so limited in terms of their PC-only boxes. The TVs with Ambilight built in are from what I understand better than external boxes that need to try and read whatever content is flying through them, but I don't know what the sets themselves are like.

Consumer

My current TV is a 1080p 32" Dynex I got gifted many years ago. It sucks ass, and I'm not just saying that because people make fun of it -- the colors are actually fucked up (washed out) and small text is difficult to read. Even my ancient VGA monitor looks miles better. No amount of Settings tuning has helped...

Anyway, I've decided to upgrade for the Ps5, but I'm on a student budget (~$800 CAD) so surely I'll have to make some sacrifices. I don't know much beyond the HDMI 2.1 buzzwords, so I'll need some guidance...

What features should I NOT miss out on? 120Hz? 4k + quality HDR? VRR? ALLM?

I game at a desk, on a chair. Wouldn't a monitor be cheaper & more practical? Or am I likely to be underwhelmed by its pseudo-HDR?

Am I better off just waiting and enduring a shitty Ps5 experience on my Dynex in the interem? If so, for how long?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My current TV is a 1080p 32" Dynex I got gifted many years ago. It sucks ass, and I'm not just saying that because people make fun of it -- the colors are actually fucked up (washed out) and small text is difficult to read. Even my ancient VGA monitor looks miles better. No amount of Settings tuning has helped...

Anyway, I've decided to upgrade for the Ps5, but I'm on a student budget (~$800 CAD) so surely I'll have to make some sacrifices. I don't know much beyond the HDMI 2.1 buzzwords, so I'll need some guidance...

What features should I NOT miss out on? 120Hz? 4k + quality HDR? VRR? ALLM?

I game at a desk, on a chair. Wouldn't a monitor be cheaper & more practical? Or am I likely to be underwhelmed by its pseudo-HDR?

Am I better off just waiting and enduring a shitty Ps5 experience on my Dynex in the interem? If so, for how long?

For that money, wait for black friday as Sony XH90 55" should drop to that range, I think. 4K@120Hz is not about only 120fps, but fast input lag. You should get all of them at a budget tv price with Sony XH90 (X900H).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is this the same?

They seem to call it X9000 in Australia but maybe I'm looking at the wrong model

Yup, here they call it the same, X9000H

The TV is 100% I'm just floating the idea of trading it to buy an x900h or next year's model which has hdmi 2.1. That's all really.

Same here!

Don't know why people recommend the Sony. Low dimming zone count and low hdr peak brightness. I guess the price point is the main key factor here.

Price, being LCD, accurate color and image, and highly praised by reviewers.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is it a common thing for TVs to be traded in or look for an upgrade with the retailer? My set is in pristine condition and 12 months old.

I usually repurpose then or give them to a family/frieds or charity. I think you can sell it on Amazon/eBay?

RasAlGhoul

Is this true? Other people with this TV said it stutters anyway due to fast refresh. Even the Rtings.com review ranks it quite low for stutter.

I can only speak for my eyes. And I would get headaches playing 30fps games on my OLED after some time. I need to test out a couple more specific problem games. But so far so good. I’ll report back once I get some TLOU2 and Destiny 2 time.

cormack12

Gold Member
So, what's the deal with looking for a TV now? The main in my living room is currently a 55 inch LG (https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/4bde875)

I've upgraded the smaller TV's upstairs to more modern displays with HDR10/4k, they are 37 and 42 inches. I can't decide which TV to stick downstairs. I'm not looking for top end. Current model doesn't have HDR. I odn't care about keeping 3D. The same size is fine (55 inch). I've so far looked at the CX but the nightmare stories about panel uniformity make me pause. I've seen the Sammy Q80T but it's LED which I have now. I'd rather avoid LCD.

What are my options here? I'd like to keep it round £1200

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So, what's the deal with looking for a TV now? The main in my living room is currently a 55 inch LG (https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/4bde875)

I've upgraded the smaller TV's upstairs to more modern displays with HDR10/4k, they are 37 and 42 inches. I can't decide which TV to stick downstairs. I'm not looking for top end. Current model doesn't have HDR. I odn't care about keeping 3D. The same size is fine (55 inch). I've so far looked at the CX but the nightmare stories about panel uniformity make me pause. I've seen the Sammy Q80T but it's LED which I have now. I'd rather avoid LCD.

What are my options here? I'd like to keep it round £1200

My recommendations consist of LG CX/C9 and Sony XH90. Good new for you, XH90 is mid-tier budget LCD tv loaded with all needed features for next gen gaming (HDMI 2.1 firmware update to be released around PS5/XSX release date, I think, to activate all the feature set). It's exactly at your price range, and could get cheaper if you wait a but longer as well:

Codes of the variants so you don't get confused:

XH9005 / XH9096 / XH9296

I'm getting one, personally.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can further confirm I don’t have the stutter issues I dealt with in TLOU2 and Destiny 2 on the OLED with the Sony 900H. Very happy with my purchase 1 day in.

Next up Mario 3D All Stars.

Many TV experts have been praising its motion handling. Overall, Sony is the best in terms of color accuracy, upscaling, motion handling and overall picture accuracy and processing. The rest are great as well but it's a bit ahead.

cormack12

Gold Member
My recommendations consist of LG CX/C9 and Sony XH90. Good new for you, XH90 is mid-tier budget LCD tv loaded with all needed features for next gen gaming (HDMI 2.1 firmware update to be released around PS5/XSX release date, I think, to activate all the feature set). It's exactly at your price range, and could get cheaper if you wait a but longer as well:

Codes of the variants so you don't get confused:

XH9005 / XH9096 / XH9296

I'm getting one, personally.

Is that standard LED? OR OLED?

cormack12

Gold Member
Full Array LED. (y) No burn in concerns or stutter issues. Go to youtube and check the reviews of Sony X900H (XH90), or check the ones we've already posted pages behind.

Tempted to hit 'purchase' now haha. After securing PS5 preorder. Expensive week......might try hold off until next month. Ill go and read about the latency and input lag in the meantime.

But it would be cool to enjoy my playstation on my brand new.....playstation tv

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Tempted to hit 'purchase' now haha. After securing PS5 preorder. Expensive week......might try hold off until next month. Ill go and read about the latency and input lag in the meantime.

Its really a great TV and has become my daily driver so to speak over my 77" C9 just because I tend to leave my TV on a lot and now I dont have to worry about burn in

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Here:

Firmware update will unlock 4K@120Hz, VRR, ALLM, eARC. Input lag so far is as low as 7.2ms in 1080p@120Hz without even HDMI 2.1, so expect around 7-5ms for 4K@120Hz mode, HDR with VRR. It's 15.1ms for 4K@60fps mode now until it gets the update for higher refresh rate/input lag.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I can further confirm I don’t have the stutter issues I dealt with in TLOU2 and Destiny 2 on the OLED with the Sony 900H. Very happy with my purchase 1 day in.

Next up Mario 3D All Stars.
That’s good to hear.

XH90 is currently discounted in Italy, goes for €999 for the 55” model. I’m gonna wait til Black Friday before I decide if it’s worth it to get one and see the differences with the C9 in person at last.

ok fellas help me decide my path, i sold my 65: bravia to my brother for 300 dollars

i have perfect excuse to get new tv now

lg cx oled 12ms

sony x900 7ms

lg nano

im thinking sony!!! but shit that cx looking good and is OLED

Bo_Hazem

Banned
ok fellas help me decide my path, i sold my 65: bravia to my brother for 300 dollars

i have perfect excuse to get new tv now

lg cx oled 12ms

sony x900 7ms

lg nano

im thinking sony!!! but shit that cx looking good and is OLED

LG CX = Perfect blacks and clean image / burn in, stutter, more expensive.
Sony X900H = Durable and cheaper and great motion clarity / grayish blacks in comparison.

LG CX does around 5.9ms for 1080p with VRR, 6.9ms 1080p@120Hz, but 11.1ms at 4K@120Hz (not available yet on X900H, update needed to activate HDMI 2.1 features).

X900H is 7.2ms at 1080p@120Hz, honestly, it doesn't matter we should just care about 4K. So don't get confused about input lag and check rtings.com for better comparison.

LG nano? Don't touch it.

Barneyco

LG CX = Perfect blacks and clean image / burn in, stutter, more expensive.
Sony X900H = Durable and cheaper and great motion clarity / grayish blacks in comparison.

LG CX does around 5.9ms for 1080p with VRR, 6.9ms 1080p@120Hz, but 11.1ms at 4K@120Hz (not available yet on X900H, update needed to activate HDMI 2.1 features).

X900H is 7.2ms at 1080p@120Hz, honestly, it doesn't matter we should just care about 4K. So don't get confused about input lag and check rtings.com for better comparison.

LG nano? Don't touch it.
There's the price difference also depending on the size you're getting. I would get OLED but I use my TV as a computer screen also. I'm not gonna take a chance with the burn in.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There's the price difference also depending on the size you're getting. I would get OLED but I use my TV as a computer screen also. I'm not gonna take a chance with the burn in.

Me too, and if I would get an OLED, I would rather go for Sony OLED for color/picture accuracy for productivity proposes on PC.

I will pick up the Asus HDMI 2.1 43 Inch monitor or the Samsung Q90T.

My question If you watch 4K movies.
Some TV's support HDR, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision.

What does monitors support and will there be problems watching 4k uhds??

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I will pick up the Asus HDMI 2.1 43 Inch monitor or the Samsung Q90T.

My question If you watch 4K movies.
Some TV's support HDR, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision.

What does monitors support and will there be problems watching 4k uhds??

Give us the exact model (monitor), as many 4K panels are actually 8-but panels. I would go for Q90T personally, bet let's read more about that monitor. Games will most likely continue with HDR10, which is supported everywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom