• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do not buy an OLED for 30fps content. That’s my recommendation as a B6 owner for a few years. I thought I was going crazy, but it was the OLED stutter.

C9 is rated at 5/10 and CX at 4.8/10 for stutter according to rtings. XH90 (X900H) is at 7/10. Not sure about the other tv's, but those are within my recommended TV's for next gen.

RasAlGhoul

C9 is rated at 5/10 and CX at 4.8/10 for stutter according to rtings. XH90 (X900H) is at 7/10. Not sure about the other tv's, but those are within my recommended TV's for next gen.

Im very close to ordering a 65” 900H for the PS5 and selling the B6.

Last edited:

RasAlGhoul

I'm aiming for that one, same size! Many positive reports and it's probably the best value for the money with 7.2ms input lag and all the features.

The only thing holding me back is that the HDMI 2.1 firmware update isn’t a reality yet. And I don’t want to buy a new receiver so I’ll need ARC working correctly.

I’ll prob buy soon anyway though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The only thing holding me back is that the HDMI 2.1 firmware update isn’t a reality yet. And I don’t want to buy a new receiver so I’ll need ARC working correctly.

I’ll prob buy soon anyway though.

I can assure you that Sony won't afford a major law suit to lie about it. Check some reviews and the 3+4 HDMI slots are shinier and chrome-like compared to 1+2, so there where the HDMI 2.1 will go (3+4). My Sony XD70 had no HDR first, then got the firmware update and been happily enjoying it since late 2016.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've been looking at either getting a 40-45" TV for next gen or a better monitor.

My setup is at a desk and I game on a 27" 1080p monitor. I sit about 2.5' away and this setup is basically perfect. A TV could be placed further back on my desk and get the same equivalent distance (4-4.5') and that's why I have those specific sizes in mind. I guess I could technically go larger, but then I'd be pretty far away from the desk.

Basically HDMI 2.1 and 120hz isn't a necessity, but definitely would want 4k and true HDR. I mostly game on console, but do occasionally play on my PC as well. At this point I'm thinking of just waiting for more PS5 info, but would like some others input and/or suggestions.

Also: I don't have a large budget, so anything under $1000 would be best.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've been looking at either getting a 40-45" TV for next gen or a better monitor.

My setup is at a desk and I game on a 27" 1080p monitor. I sit about 2.5' away and this setup is basically perfect. A TV could be placed further back on my desk and get the same equivalent distance (4-4.5') and that's why I have those specific sizes in mind. I guess I could technically go larger, but then I'd be pretty far away from the desk.

Basically I'm not really interesting in HDMI 2.1, but definitely would want 4k and true HDR. I most game on console, but do occasionally play on my PC as well. At this point I'm thinking of just waiting for more PS5 info, but would like some others input and/or suggestions.

The 55" Sony X900H will be the perfect TV for you.

Basically HDMI 2.1 and 120hz isn't a necessity, but definitely would want 4k and true HDR. I mostly game on console, but do occasionally play on my PC as well. At this point I'm thinking of just waiting for more PS5 info, but would like some others input and/or suggestions.

I know a guy who says he is quite happy with this display but I have never seen it personally

Barneyco

Has anyone gotten the samsung "65 q70. They have them at Best Buy for $1200 this weekend. It has hdmi 2.1 for next gen but I don't know if I'm missing something or if there's a better tv for bout the same price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Has anyone gotten the samsung "65 q70. They have them at Best Buy for $1200 this weekend. It has hdmi 2.1 for next gen but I don't know if I'm missing something or if there's a better tv for bout the same price.

The HDR and Game mode picture quality is awful, avoid it. Even the higher model Q80. I think Q90 is only good from Samsung, and probably Q900, but didn't see reviews of it in game mode.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Why buy this tv for 30fps I mean seriously. This reminds me of people buying HD tvs and still watching SD content expecting better than what you will get. High performance tv needs high performance into it. Kind of defeats the point I think.
30fps content exists and it's not rare at all in the gaming world, never will be. Movies are 24fps and motion interpolation is far from perfect. People everywhere say OLED is the best for gaming and most of current console gaming is 30fps, 1080p or less. So let's make up our minds - either OLED is the best shit ever for TLOU2, Horizon and such, or it isn't.

"Why buy this for 30fps" when 30fps content is basically the standard for most people who game on TVs only makes me wonder what kind of stuff some people use their TV for :pie_thinking:
I don't get what the big idea is here. Is one supposed to get a separate TV if they have a Switch or are still playing on a non-pro console?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
30fps content exists and it's not rare at all in the gaming world, never will be. Movies are 24fps and motion interpolation is far from perfect. People everywhere say OLED is the best for gaming and most of current console gaming is 30fps, 1080p or less. So let's make up our minds - either OLED is the best shit ever for TLOU2, Horizon and such, or it isn't.

"Why buy this for 30fps" when 30fps content is basically the standard for most people who game on TVs only makes me wonder what kind of stuff some people use their TV for :pie_thinking:
I don't get what the big idea is here. Is one supposed to get a separate TV if they have a Switch or are still playing on a non-pro console?

It's actually visible even through youtube videos, the stutter, but I barely find people talk about it. You're probably one of the very few people vocal about it. I was gonna buy a 65" C9 but decided to wait and read and see more reviews, which was better. Your posts are much more better than whatever reviews I've seen, honestly, because many seem to overlook this problem although rtings gives 4.8/10 for stutter for CX then goes ahead and gives it 9.1/10 for video games. So WTF is happening? Stutter makes 24-30fps unbearable, and you'll find them the most vocal ones fighting for 60fps mode and against 30fps.

Barneyco

The HDR and Game mode picture quality is awful, avoid it. Even the higher model Q80. I think Q90 is only good from Samsung, and probably Q900, but didn't see reviews of it in game mode.
Thank You for the heads up. I'm gonna have to keep saving for the q90. Thanks again for the help. I would get an OLED but I hook my computer up to the tv and burn-in scares the hell out of me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thank You for the heads up. I'm gonna have to keep saving for the q90. Thanks again for the help. I would get an OLED but I hook my computer up to the tv and burn-in scares the hell out of me.

I've never seen how Q90T is with game mode so you need to look for the reviews and if you find a good one post it here ;) , but you can consider LG CX/C9, Sony X900H (XH90/X90H/X9000H) as well.

Jigga117

I don’t play any of them games so not relevant to me and if I played Horizon today I will be at 4k/60 on PC. So as far as I am concerned with my experience it is the best for ME. Couldnt care less what’s best for your personal purchase or anyone else’s.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don’t play any of them games so not relevant to me and if I played Horizon today I will be at 4k/60 on PC. So as far as I am concerned with my experience it is the best for ME. Couldnt care less what’s best for your personal purchase or anyone else’s.

That's the point, I'm happy that it fits your preference 100%. As you see, the thread is mainly focused on next gen consoles, which will have 30fps games among them. Enjoy your gaming and TV!:messenger_clapping:

Jigga117

That's the point, I'm happy that it fits your preference 100%. As you see, the thread is mainly focused on next gen consoles, which will have 30fps games among them. Enjoy your gaming and TV!:messenger_clapping:
I plan on getting both next gen consoles. Preferably Xbox Series X because I think we will have more 60fps+ on X than PS5. Either way we will see

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I just recently purchased the Asus VG27AQ for the pc and it’s a fantastic monitor at a great price.

Well reviewed too.

This seems to be an upgraded version of my asus 27" pg279q. Is the hdr content actually good though? I know a lot of monitors have hdr but don't quite hit the brightness point to be accurate.

DeaDPo0L84

Quick question, if I purchased the Sony X900H is it capable of working with my rtx 3080 and playing @ 1440[/120hz with g-sync? I have never hooked my PC up to a tv so I am kinda new to this.

Barneyco

Quick question, if I purchased the Sony X900H is it capable of working with my rtx 3080 and playing @ 1440[/120hz with g-sync? I have never hooked my PC up to a tv so I am kinda new to this.
I've been looking also and I'm not sure if you need hdmi 2.1 for that. Sony is going to patch it in later but as of today it's not 2.1. You might not need 2.1 for 1440p/120hz but from my understanding you do. I saw a youtube video saying to wait til 2021 but thats hard to do.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I've been looking also and I'm not sure if you need hdmi 2.1 for that. Sony is going to patch it in later but as of today it's not 2.1. You might not need 2.1 for 1440p/120hz but from my understanding you do. I saw a youtube video saying to wait til 2021 but thats hard to do.
My TCL 55R635 can accept and display a 1440p-120Hz signal and it has only HDMI 2.0b.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I doubt that, it's only CX and C9 for Freesync and G-Sync. But they use what seems like a neutral VRR. How that works on PC I don't know, I might give it a try if I buy it. I always use TV's for my PC, but not gaming although it's theoretically a high end gaming PC before the nvidia reveal (Radeon VII). :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

DeaDPo0L84

I doubt that, it's only CX and C9 for Freesync and G-Sync. But they use what seems like a neutral VRR. How that works on PC I don't know, I might give it a try if I buy it. I always use TV's for my PC, but not gaming although it's theoretically a high end gaming PC before the nvidia reveal (Radeon VII). :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Me and my wife have a 55" in the living room, the room itself is pretty big so a 55" looks a tad small against the large wall. I figured if I buy a new one I would get a 75 or 85". I'd only do so if I can confirm it will work with g-sync and at least 1440p/60 or 4k/120. I know the OLED you mentioned would possibly work for my needs but I am too nervous about burn in, it would drive me absolutely nuts to have artifacts permanently in the screen.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Me and my wife have a 55" in the living room, the room itself is pretty big so a 55" looks a tad small against the large wall. I figured if I buy a new one I would get a 75 or 85". I'd only do so if I can confirm it will work with g-sync and at least 1440p/60 or 4k/120.

I would suggest you to wait for a while until they get the HDMI 2.1 firmware update, then you may check the reviews as there will be someone out there testing it with his new Amperes.

DeaDPo0L84

I would suggest you to wait for a while until they get the HDMI 2.1 firmware update, then you may check the reviews as there will be someone out there testing it with his new Amperes.

I am watching the rtings review of the CX, it seems it has hdmi 2.1 and works with current version of g-sync, hmmm...

Ulysses 31

Ugh, I have watched so many CX reviews as well as user reviews and damn, I am really close to dropping $2,300 in anticipation of the rtx 3080 launching soon.
Make sure your room is on the dark side, otherwise the strengths of OLED are diminished. Also be ready to put up with some aggressive auto brightness limiting.

drotahorror

I'm in a tiny minority who would love a 1080p, HDR10 ( I think?, not familiar with HDR types), 120-144hz, 27-32" monitor. My eyesight isn't great at distance, and only decent at very close.

I don't know why monitor makers don't give a shit a bout HDR.

Ulysses 31

Gaming Discussion
I'm in a tiny minority who would love a 1080p, HDR10 ( I think?, not familiar with HDR types), 120-144hz, 27-32" monitor. My eyesight isn't great at distance, and only decent at very close.

I don't know why monitor makers don't give a shit a bout HDR.
Never heard of Asus before? They have all kinds of gaming monitors with and without HDR.

They have HDMI 2.1 monitors coming too.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Gaming Discussion

Never heard of Asus before? They have all kinds of gaming monitors with and without HDR.

They have HDMI 2.1 monitors coming too.

Of course I've heard of Asus. You ever heard of reading the first sentence of my post?

The first monitor is a 4K monitor ( I said 1080p), and it's fuckin over $2000.

The second one is an ultra-wide monitor.

The specs I mentioned don't exist in any monitor created today. I think there's only 3 monitors with HDR10 and they're all around $2000, those 2 Asus ones and an Acer one.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Make sure your room is on the dark side, otherwise the strengths of OLED are diminished. Also be ready to put up with some aggressive auto brightness limiting.

Hmmm reading up on the brightness limiting and it gave me pause. It would be very annoying to visibly see the picture change due to an internal TV feature. Looks like on the previous model you could disable it,maybe I'll wait to see if they add that feature in the CX.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've decided to save a bit of money and go with a TCL 6 Series 55" unless something else crops up in the meantime. Now to wait to find a good deal, but these just released I believe.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've decided to save a bit of money and go with a TCL 6 Series 55" unless something else crops up in the meantime. Now to wait to find a good deal, but these just released I believe.

It's a very good tv, but it's HDMI 2.0 if you do care about 4K@120Hz, VRR, ALLM. I think it has eARC though if you have like high quality sound bar/system.

00_Zer0

I was unaware of this problem until I saw a few articles regarding LG Oled TV's and VRR functionality. It looks like 2019-2020 LG Oled models that support HDMI 2.1 and VRR has issues when VRR is enabled, which causes dark scenes to look like a washed out gray, and even flickering in dark areas of the screen. Here's some excerpts from the article:

The problem is that when using current forms of VRR (available on Xbox One X and PCs) with LG's 2019 and 2020 OLED TVs, people have noticed that the dark areas of the screen (which OLED TVs are famed for showcasing well) sometimes look washed out and more grey with VRR turned on.

Other people sometimes spotted flickering in dark areas of the screen with VRR turned on.

Can the problem be fixed? That's an open question – as it stands, LG is looking into the problem, and promises to report back when there's something useful to say.

Source Link

I am looking at getting a 55 inch CX model. I will mainly be using the TV for PC gaming and utilising the g-sync feature with the upcoming RTX 3080 that I plan on purchasing. I wonder if the flickering and gray discoloration issues happen with g-sync as well or will this strictly be a PS5 and XSX issue?
I understand that g-sync is a propiatary version of VRR used by Nvidia, but the article doesn't make it clear if this happens while using g-sync on the television or not.

If so that would be disappointing because LG is the only company that I'm aware of that is offering g-sync compatibility with their TV's. I don't believe a tv with HDMI 2.1 VRR functionality would be enough on its own to be considered g-sync compatible since it's a propiatary solution. We definitely need more solutions on the television front that offer g-sync compatibility so consumers have more of a choice.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's actually visible even through youtube videos, the stutter, but I barely find people talk about it. You're probably one of the very few people vocal about it. I was gonna buy a 65" C9 but decided to wait and read and see more reviews, which was better. Your posts are much more better than whatever reviews I've seen, honestly, because many seem to overlook this problem although rtings gives 4.8/10 for stutter for CX then goes ahead and gives it 9.1/10 for video games. So WTF is happening? Stutter makes 24-30fps unbearable, and you'll find them the most vocal ones fighting for 60fps mode and against 30fps.
I’m vocal about it mainly because I noticed this as soon as I booted up a game on the C9, and it feels so weird that so many people just seem not to notice or sincerely say that it’s not worse than on some LEDs out there, lol.
Judging from reviews of recent gaming-oriented TVs like the X900H it seems that even the newer LEDs are going towards faster response times and thus, worse stutter.

I don’t think YT videos are a good source about this matter. You’re seeing the recording of a screen through another screen that has its own displaying issues. You really have to see the things I’m describing to understand. TV retailers know this and manufacturers too, that’s why all high-end TVs have an attract mode reel going on in stores with highly curated, high-res, 60fps images. Panasonic OLEDs (not available in the US as far as I know) show some movie scenes too, but lo and behold, they clearly have some heavy motion interpolation going on, maybe because they know people would see stutter otherwise...

Of course I’m not arguing that Sony/Samsung LEDs are better than LG’s C series, because I’ve never used one of the models suggested in this thread. The C9 is fine, and if you only play high framerate games and/or don’t notice the stutter, then it may very well be your endgame TV. I just suggest to try before you buy, if possible.

See? You’re proving my point. It was very easy to assume you’re a 60+fps PC gamer only. Of course you’re not even gonna see the issue here. This doesn’t mean there’s plenty of people playing games with lesser performance though, and many of those are perfectly fine with OLED, so maybe writing “why buy this for 30fps” was a bit unwarranted, don’t you think?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I’m vocal about it mainly because I noticed this as soon as I booted up a game on the C9, and it feels so weird that so many people just seem not to notice or sincerely say that it’s not worse than on some LEDs out there, lol.
Judging from reviews of recent gaming-oriented TVs like the X900H it seems that even the newer LEDs are going towards faster response times and thus, worse stutter.

I don’t think YT videos are a good source about this matter. You’re seeing the recording of a screen through another screen that has its own displaying issues. You really have to see the things I’m describing to understand. TV retailers know this and manufacturers too, that’s why all high-end TVs have an attract mode reel going on in stores with highly curated, high-res, 60fps images. Panasonic OLEDs (not available in the US as far as I know) show some movie scenes too, but lo and behold, they clearly have some heavy motion interpolation going on, maybe because they know people would see stutter otherwise...

Of course I’m not arguing that Sony/Samsung LEDs are better than LG’s C series, because I’ve never used one of the models suggested in this thread. The C9 is fine, and if you only play high framerate games and/or don’t notice the stutter, then it may very well be your endgame TV. I just suggest to try before you buy, if possible.

I've seen reviews praising the motion in X900H, and according to rtings they gave it 7/10 compared to 5/10 C9 and 4.8/10 CX. It's good to have like raw gameplay or movie in 24-30fps on a flash and test it in the shop. But I'm not buying OLED's for burn-in and I torture my tv's in general for endless hours with plenty of static stuff on screen.

Jigga117

See? You’re proving my point. It was very easy to assume you’re a 60+fps PC gamer only. Of course you’re not even gonna see the issue here. This doesn’t mean there’s plenty of people playing games with lesser performance though, and many of those are perfectly fine with OLED, so maybe writing “why buy this for 30fps” was a bit unwarranted, don’t you think?
You missed my point. If I played those games now that Horizon is on PC, I have the capability to play at 4k@60+. Yes IMO I find it makes sense to have a tv that performs best when you provide it the best. Which is why I pointed out SD vs 4k. You want to play at 30 have at it but stop trying to make it sound as if anyone who actually has the means to play to the strengths of the display is some sort niche or minor group. It is why we bought PS4 Pro and XBX with the mid gen refresh and why we build PCs because we want better performance.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You missed my point. If I played those games now that Horizon is on PC, I have the capability to play at 4k@60+. Yes IMO I find it makes sense to have a tv that performs best when you provide it the best. Which is why I pointed out SD vs 4k. You want to play at 30 have at it but stop trying to make it sound as if anyone who actually has the means to play to the strengths of the display is some sort niche or minor group. It is why we bought PS4 Pro and XBX with the mid gen refresh and why we build PCs because we want better performance.

30fps games are a reality to next gen consoles, and lots are fine with it. Also this thread is about consoles so such feedback is critical for console gamers. If you're aiming for high end PC gaming that's another story but doesn't mean those problems aren't critical, just like detail crushing in some LCD's or forced brightness nerfing in OLED's. All TV's have flaws, and everyone is free to pick the tv that he can deal with the deficiencies that it has.

DeaDPo0L84

Been reading up on the new Vizio OLED that just launched, no reviews yet so not much info. I'm not 100% set on an OLEDZ,but it's the newest technology so it's kinda exciting.

If I end up finding a led 65" that supports him 2.1 and g sync then I might just go that way.

K1ngP3n

Neo Member
I actually had the money to get the higher end Vizio P series or their OLED but decided on the TCL R635. I didn't get the OLED because it would be used primarily for gaming and not by only me (9 year old nephew) and burn in scares me to death. Overall I'm loving the TCL even if it's not completely future proof i don't see many next gen games running at 4k/120 so I think i won't miss out on much. Picture quality wise there's no way you'll get a better TV for the price.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Best Buy has the Samsung q60 65” on sale for $800 for anyone looking for a budget gaming tv

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I actually had the money to get the higher end Vizio P series or their OLED but decided on the TCL R635. I didn't get the OLED because it would be used primarily for gaming and not by only me (9 year old nephew) and burn in scares me to death. Overall I'm loving the TCL even if it's not completely future proof i don't see many next gen games running at 4k/120 so I think i won't miss out on much. Picture quality wise there's no way you'll get a better TV for the price.
Good to hear, the newest model may not have HDMI 2.1, but it does come with some of the features which is nice.

Not sure if I'll pick one up before or after getting a PS5.

Top Bottom