• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

protonion

So I am looking to buy this X900H/ XH90 or whatever.

But apparently where I live we have special brains and need to solve a puzzle to find the model.

I filter year 2020 and size 55. I get:

Sony KD-55XH9096 (1157 EUR)
Sony KD-55A8 I guess not
Sony KD-55XH9505 (1388 EUR)
Sony KD-55XH9077 (1159 EUR)

Which is the one that will get 2.1 support?

Why this stupid naming??

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So I am looking to buy this X900H/ XH90 or whatever.

But apparently where I live we have special brains and need to solve a puzzle to find the model.

I filter year 2020 and size 55. I get:

Sony KD-55A8 I guess not
Sony KD-55XH9505 (1388 EUR)

Which is the one that will get 2.1 support?

Why this stupid naming??

Easy, just go to the official website of your country, it'll be labeled under XH90.

Both are XH90, and will have HDMI 2.1 update. But you have variants like black or metallic frames in Europe.

dDoc

Yeah why are TVs listed as different models in different regions? I am sure there is a valid reason. I am almost certain that reason is complete BS.

Anyone know why this is?

bargeparty

My LG CX is set for delivery this Friday. I had tried a C8 a couple years ago and didn't really like it. Except for the contrast it didn't really compare to my Panny Plasma in terms of motion. Coupled with the shitty near black vertical banding and panel uniformity problems it was pretty disappointing so I returned it. I've also been waiting to see if Sony would release something to compete with the LG's but so far nothing. I don't really want to hold off on Cyberpunk and a few other games this holiday so here we are.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah why are TVs listed as different models in different regions? I am sure there is a valid reason. I am almost certain that reason is complete BS.

Anyone know why this is?

To identify where is your tv coming from, what market. Mine is from the Russian market, got it for a discount compared to the native model. Overall, they are all the same but in Europe you got more variants if you want a black/metallic frame and some cosmetics or features, I think.

My LG CX is set for delivery this Friday. I had tried a C8 a couple years ago and didn't really like it. Except for the contrast it didn't really compare to my Panny Plasma in terms of motion. Coupled with the shitty near black vertical banding and panel uniformity problems it was pretty disappointing so I returned it. I've also been waiting to see if Sony would release something to compete with the LG's but so far nothing. I don't really want to hold off on Cyberpunk and a few other games this holiday so here we are.

If you weren't happy with the motion, you need to be sure that you can return the CX if you feel the same as rtings gave it 4.8/10 for stutter.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thank you!

The price is falling fast. It started at 1450 just a few weeks ago. If it goes sub 1000 before PS5 that would be great.
It will be a shock going from 32 inches to 55. I hope I will adjust.

I went from 37 to 55 in 2015, you only need like one month and you'll be fine. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: After that you'll aim for 65"+ like me. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Rikkori

Example #732896 of why Sony is still the PQ king & Samsung should be avoided like the crap that it is. Maybe next year Sony will get a clue and add VRR to the 8K TVs too though.

zbcAA3r.jpg
HCA47fJ.png
8TWua4X.png

PRkj3bx.png
yKp6JSV.png
478MzWt.png

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Example #732896 of why Sony is still the PQ king & Samsung should be avoided like the crap that it is. Maybe next year Sony will get a clue and add VRR to the 8K TVs too though.

zbcAA3r.jpg
HCA47fJ.png
8TWua4X.png

PRkj3bx.png
yKp6JSV.png
478MzWt.png

That's crazy! I really have no reason to recommend Samsung to anyone. I really hope Sony will support their top TV's by next year with full HDMI 2.1 features! Thanks a lot for the great details. What TV do you have?

they've already announced 120 fps 4k for multiple games. gears 5/halo infinite/cod black ops/dirt 5. funny enough i don't think they announced that for tetris lolol

It's not about 120fps alone, 120Hz refresh is great to kill latency even for 60-30fps games, assuming they'll support that.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Have started testing this monitor.

While its not HDMI 2.1 for next gen I don't see many games running 4k 144hz as this monitor will do 1440p 144hz.

Plus have the TVs to handle HDMI 2.1 if I really need it.

Early impressions its a super clean picture but it has the downfalls of an IPS panel in not great contrast, not deep rich blacks and ips glow.

wrqvoLU.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Have started testing this monitor.

While its not HDMI 2.1 for next gen I don't see many games running 4k 144hz as this monitor will do 1440p 144hz.

Plus have the TVs to handle HDMI 2.1 if I really need it.

Early impressions its a super clean picture but it has the downfalls of an IPS panel in not great contrast, not deep rich blacks and ips glow.

wrqvoLU.jpg

Congrats mate!

bargeparty

Little update on my LG CX. In terms of the motion handling it's probably fine, I could most likely just get used to it. The dark scene and near black handling has been a disappointment again, at least so far. I checked the near black uniformity and while it's not the worst, it's far from the best I've seen posted around. I'm going to give that a little time since I've heard some other people saying it improved over time.

What I don't think will improve is just dark scene handling which I believe is more tied to bitrate. Since the majority of my movie and tv watching will come from streaming it's fairly appalling to see just how shitty 2Mbps looks. I upgraded my Netflix to UHD and tested one particular scene in Mindhunter and while it was improved since the bitrate was about 11Mbps, it still looked shitty.

If anyone is curious the build date is Aug 2020.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Little update on my LG CX. In terms of the motion handling it's probably fine, I could most likely just get used to it. The dark scene and near black handling has been a disappointment again, at least so far. I checked the near black uniformity and while it's not the worst, it's far from the best I've seen posted around. I'm going to give that a little time since I've heard some other people saying it improved over time.

What I don't think will improve is just dark scene handling which I believe is more tied to bitrate. Since the majority of my movie and tv watching will come from streaming it's fairly appalling to see just how shitty 2Mbps looks. I upgraded my Netflix to UHD and tested one particular scene in Mindhunter and while it was improved since the bitrate was about 11Mbps, it still looked shitty.

If anyone is curious the build date is Aug 2020.

Interesting, you mean like banding or details being crushed (which I don't think it's an OLED thing but more likely FALD)? Some tv's artificially add gradience for smoother image.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Hey breh, how do you calibrate your TV for your work, do you use some cailbration sensor? Because I feel like TVs does not have to bow to some AdobeRGB standard or something like that, so it has to be bitch to tune it properly. Especially from DSLR when ou are importing shit from RAW and that sort of thing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Hey breh, how do you calibrate your TV for your work, do you use some cailbration sensor? Because I feel like TVs does not have to bow to some AdobeRGB standard or something like that, so it has to be bitch to tune it properly. Especially from DSLR when ou are importing shit from RAW and that sort of thing.

I go back and forth for like 2-3 weeks, not professionally calibrating. Had lots of issues with previews LG's in terms of color accuracy. Surprisingly though, I didn't touch the settings when I plugged my PC to this current Sony XD70 since 2016. The new XH90 should be one of the most accurate TV's in the market, especially if you use the "Graphics" mode that's meant for us.

x900h-graphics-mode.jpg

Most reviewers say that you don't even need to calibrate it if you watch the videos posted here. Rtings gave it around 8.7 before calibration and 9.1 after, so it's only a minor margin. It's always better to calibrate it, might try that and learn from youtube how to do it when I get the X900H.

bargeparty

Interesting, you mean like banding or details being crushed (which I don't think it's an OLED thing but more likely FALD)? Some tv's artificially add gradience for smoother image.

I believe with a proper calibration the CX handles shadow detail just fine without crushing blacks, but that's not what I'm focused on. Mostly people talk about near black uniformity which is the dark vertical banding (streaks) or even "blobs" that appear in near black content, something like 5% gray test slides show it well.

The much bigger issue in my eyes (which I don't recall seeing on the C8 I tried a couple years ago), is a sort of posterization (may not have the term correct), in the dark scenes, but I only looked at this one scene in Mindhunter, which is a sort of stress test imo. I watched Valerian and an episode of The Boys and didn't notice anything egregious.

Trying to describe it, a sort of outline to the people and objects in the scene.

I tried to take a video but I still need to review it before posting.

If anyone wants to compare (or possibly never unsee) it's Mindhunter Season 1, Ep. 8, at about 47:10 Holden goes into a dark room.

Update: I started googling and I've found other people talking about this, some even saying it was not a problem on the C9.

I may just give up on this shit. Can't get Panny in the states and Sony is lagging behind on HDMI 2.1, it's a fucking circus.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I believe with a proper calibration the CX handles shadow detail just fine without crushing blacks, but that's not what I'm focused on. Mostly people talk about near black uniformity which is the dark vertical banding (streaks) or even "blobs" that appear in near black content, something like 5% gray test slides show it well.

The much bigger issue in my eyes (which I don't recall seeing on the C8 I tried a couple years ago), is a sort of posterization (may not have the term correct), in the dark scenes, but I only looked at this one scene in Mindhunter, which is a sort of stress test imo. I watched Valerian and an episode of The Boys and didn't notice anything egregious.

Trying to describe it, a sort of outline to the people and objects in the scene.

I tried to take a video but I still need to review it before posting.

If anyone wants to compare (or possibly never unsee) it's Mindhunter Season 1, Ep. 8, at about 47:10 Holden goes into a dark room.

Update: I started googling and I've found other people talking about this, some even saying it was not a problem on the C9.

I may just give up on this shit. Can't get Panny in the states and Sony is lagging behind on HDMI 2.1, it's a fucking circus.

If you're an OLED guy, you can wait for Sony to support HDMI 2.1. At least they avoid having it half-baked like Samsung. Many others seem to be struggling with HDMI 2.1, probably most processors need to be overhauled or redesigned. Your feedback is precious, thank you for sharing, and we'll always be happy to learn more.

Jaybe

In the next 6 months to a year are we expecting more TVs to release with HDMI 2.1 and G-Sync support? Any ones announced to look out for? LG OLED Seems top tier but I wouldn’t mind seeing some other dollar friendlier options. Not sure if the X900H firmware upgrade I’ll enable gsync as well. I’m doubtful though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In the next 6 months to a year are we expecting more TVs to release with HDMI 2.1 and G-Sync support? Any ones announced to look out for? LG OLED Seems top tier but I wouldn’t mind seeing some other dollar friendlier options. Not sure if the X900H firmware upgrade I’ll enable gsync as well. I’m doubtful though.

I doubt X900H will support anything further than what PS5/XSX needs (basic VRR). Freesync? Probably, because it's free/open-source. Sony isn't in the monitor business, so I can't see them supporting the expensive G-Sync.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Does anyone have any idea if the PS5 is going to support 1440p/120hz native? I very recently purchased a Dell 32" 1440p/165hz monitor for gaming and thinking I might return it if the console will not support it. I am sure the Series X will since the One X supports 1440p.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Guys so in conclusion, what are the top 3 TV choices for PS5 4K gaming

Sony X900H, LG C9, LG CX.

Does anyone have any idea if the PS5 is going to support 1440p/120hz native? I very recently purchased a Dell 32" 1440p/165hz monitor for gaming and thinking I might return it if the console will not support it. I am sure the Series X will since the One X supports 1440p.

Nothing yet, we don't know.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks bro, I’ll get a Sony 900 tomorrow then

Just put in mind the Samsungs don't support Dolby Vision, so for XSX/XSS at least it might not be the optimal TV. Also it has bad image quality even and the highest end models when put on game mode. X900H seems like the best bang for the buck, but don't get the X900G by mistake.

Ulysses 31

Just check the reviews, and check if PS5 will support HDR10+ or just Dolby Vision and HDR10. I personally don't recommend any Samsung.

Along with bad picture quality in game mode.

Having both Q950TS and LG CX I don't think the Q950TS is far behind the CX in game mode.

I also have issues with the video implying that only DV HDR is good enough for next gen consoles. Standard HDR10 can be good too.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Having both Q950TS and LG CX I don't think the Q950TS is far behind the CX.

I also have issues with the video implying that only DV HDR is good enough for next gen consoles. Standard HDR10 can be good too.

I would suggest waiting for more details for anyone shooting for Samsung, I think both should support HDR10+ because it's also open-source/free? Hope this should help, just note that in some parts it's high ISO effect showing exaggerated blooming.

Ulysses 31

I would suggest waiting for more details for anyone shooting for Samsung, I think both should support HDR10+ because it's also open-source/free? Hope this should help, just note that in some parts it's high ISO effect showing exaggerated blooming.

Samsung high end 2020 models are overpriced for the most part compared to the competition but I don't regret buying the Q950TS. :lollipop_winking:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not true The Q90T is better than last years Q90R especially in game mode.
omhvvcmm.png
vrc5jwpo.png

Thank you, mate, this should help people around here. Can't wait to hear more from your feedback when you get it! But if you're not in a hurry, probably better wait and see if PS5 will support HDR10+.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Samsung 2020 models are overpriced for the most part compared to the competition but I don't regret buying the Q950TS. :lollipop_winking:

I have no problem with their prices if they deliver! Glad you're enjoying that 8K beauty! I'll get mine with probably PS5 Pro. If I was getting a7R instead of a7S I would've went 8K for better viewing accuracy, but Sony of course because I don't know any tv calibrates around me.

Tonidayo

Just put in mind the Samsungs don't support Dolby Vision, so for XSX/XSS at least it might not be the optimal TV. Also it has bad image quality even and the highest end models when put on game mode. X900H seems like the best bang for the buck, but don't get the X900G by mistake.

wait there are different X900 versions too ??

Bo_Hazem

Banned
ok thanks will do. Any recommendations on whether 65’, 75’ or 85’ is the better choice ?

Depends on your budget and how far you sit back. Hope this will help you out choose the one that suits you.

I want 85" but I might not even get one as a7S III announcement has crippled my budget, but might get it for free through a contract with a football club ;). I sit around 1.8m away, and using 55" currently and planning for 75-85" if I manage the price, or settle for 65".

But 65" and higher you get the acoustic sounds system that feels like the screen is emitting sound directly. Didn't experience that but some say it's cool, I use headsets anyway.

DeaDPo0L84

I have been looking at ultrawide monitors, most of the images from games make it seem really awesome but I am also hearing from a friend who has one some of the downsides as well like it's not 100% supported.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I went to a bestbuy and they had lots of displays to look at, including the popular models like CX, X900H, X950H, A9G, etc...
I didn't remember liking OLED before but it looked great... comparing the Sony X900H and Sony OLED side by side, the OLED seemed to have better colors and the LED seemed to have color banding (like as colors transition between different shades of light and dark).
They must have been showing 60 fps content on the OLED because I didn't noticed any stutter. I guess no display is perfect, but I guess I'd lean more towards the oled now based on what I saw today...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ugh. I noticed the vertical banding in end credits of a movie.

How do people tolerate this, honestly?

That's strange? Thought as an organic pixel emitter shouldn't have such a thing. Could you photograph that?

I have been looking at ultrawide monitors, most of the images from games make it seem really awesome but I am also hearing from a friend who has one some of the downsides as well like it's not 100% supported.

For PC gaming it should be good, but for console I doubt you'll be satisfied with the constant black spaces on the sides.

Today I went to a bestbuy and they had lots of displays to look at, including the popular models like CX, X900H, X950H, A9G, etc...
I didn't remember liking OLED before but it looked great... comparing the Sony X900H and Sony OLED side by side, the OLED seemed to have better colors and the LED seemed to have color banding (like as colors transition between different shades of light and dark).
They must have been showing 60 fps content on the OLED because I didn't noticed any stutter. I guess no display is perfect, but I guess I'd lean more towards the oled now based on what I saw today...

It's a processing thing. The X1 processor on X900H doesn't artificially add gradience to low quality 8-bit content, and the OLED model is a premium model with a better processor that adds it artificially. You know, 8-bit has only 16 million colors vs 1,060 million colors in 10-bit.

Last edited:

bargeparty

That's strange? Thought as an organic pixel emitter shouldn't have such a thing. Could you photograph that?

I'll try again tonight. I have to find my actual camera since the cell phone can't capture it.

I checked 5% gray slide last night and it seems like it might have improved a little (probably around 40 hrs on the tv at the time). What I see on the credits scenes are the same pattern just more visible for some reason, if that makes any sense. (vertical bands and really there's more of a "smear" along the left side)

cormack12

Gold Member
I'll try again tonight. I have to find my actual camera since the cell phone can't capture it.

I checked 5% gray slide last night and it seems like it might have improved a little (probably around 40 hrs on the tv at the time). What I see on the credits scenes are the same pattern just more visible for some reason, if that makes any sense. (vertical bands and really there's more of a "smear" along the left side)

I'm really sensitive to all this (bitrate, banding) and your updates make me sad. I was maybe looking at the CX but now feeling the Sammy QL80T might be better. Can't do anything about bitrate other than improve the source, but even the UHD bitrate is miles away from an actual UHD blu ray.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I can get what you're saying, I think I heard of something similar before, but was more like some type of burn-in that make like vertical stripes, or maybe it was just this one you're describing. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I'm really sensitive to all this (bitrate, banding) and your updates make me sad. I was maybe looking at the CX but now feeling the Sammy QL80T might be better. Can't do anything about bitrate other than improve the source, but even the UHD bitrate is miles away from an actual UHD blu ray.

Sony XH95 and other with X1 Ultimate processor do add gradation to the lower bitrate source to solve it, but XH90 (X900H) has X1 standard that doesn't have that feature.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I can get what you're saying, I think I heard of something similar before, but was more like some type of burn-in that make like vertical stripes, or maybe it was just this one you're describing. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Sony XH95 and other with X1 Ultimate processor do add gradation to the lower bitrate source to solve it, but XH90 (X900H) has X1 standard that doesn't have that feature.

I was looking as the X90h as the #3 model in the list. Dunno, might be worth just waiting or seeing a CX in store.

Top Bottom