• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAÏSanÏa

But what passes for 'legit' COVID misinformation NOW? Those old ivermectin theories? Saying "wuhan flu"? If you are not educated on covid by now, is twitter really the problem? I feel like enough time has passed for any actual covid misinformation damage to be long gone, now folks can debate masks, hand washing, social distancing, and vaccines in rather extreme terms and it doesn't matter. No one screamed "MISINFORMATION AND IT WILL KIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL" when Jenny MacCarthy was anti-vax a few years back. Or when some hippy-dippy chick promoted crystals for healing instead of chemotherapy. Some of that shit is just gonna happen and covid has moved to the "who give a fuck?" category because it is SO EASY to research it yourself if you care at all.
That's a lot of vulnerable people still. And the antivaxxer propaganda isn't for discussion. It's at best idealistic to think these people are in any way genuine. They're trying to take advantage of a public health emergency to fraud people.

If antivaxxers appear from the American left tent they get ostracized for it. There's no political selectivity on the antivaxx matter.

Those others only involve targeted groups and did raise some alarm. Covid was a public health emergency which affected all citizens making it a more pressing and wider ranging concern to more people. More people make louder alarm, more attention, more response. Easy to follow.
Contrarian politicization made it an even bigger opportunity to grift wondertonic taking advantage of confusion and entrenchment to put normally rational moderate people at risk attracting more attention. It's less of a risk now that much of the hysteria around vaccines has been negated, the crazies outed for what they are, classified by risk, which in some cases were armed dangerous zealots. That's also what concerns many with twitter allowing these back on.

DeaDPo0L84

The thing that really cracks me up are claims that allowing bigots and conspiracy theorists to speak on the internet represents some sort of existential threat to our civilization.

As if this sort of stuff was clamped down upon from day#1 on the Internet!

We've already seen the result of years of (mostly) absolute free-speech on the internet, and the world didn't end! And yet now, we're supposed to be terrified of cranks and their opinions!
I'm 38 soon to be 39. I've been around long enough to see the wildest of things be thrown around and like you said somehow we've managed to survive until present day. We had agency to think for ourselves but people have slowly allowed themselves to slip into supporting an authoritarian "lite" approach under the guise of caring about the populace at large.

But the things people pretend to be concerned about reaching the masses pale by comparison to the lies people in power push to replace truths, that's the real danger.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Agree on whiskey being great?
Hey You Movie GIF by Bad Boys For Life

No wonder the EU is in its deepest crisis since its inception.

We Europeans absolutely hate the EU meddling with our speech rights and this is coming from somebody who deeply appreciates European cooperation. This will only deepen the political divide also here in Europe and empower anti-EU forces across the board. Also speech rights still fall under national autonomy, so this will do jack-shit for countries like Greece, Italy, Czech Rep, Hungary, Poland and most other EU-sceptic or conservative led member states.

Elon has mentioned that Twitter will abide by each country's/region laws. He reiterated that recently when people from Brazil were asking him to stop censorship that's apparently allowed there by law. Nothing that Twitter can do. I believe the same would happen in the EU.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The FBI literally called the laptop "misinformation" not too long prior to all of the Tech companies cracking down at the exact same time. It's all about the messaging.

And whelp, that was a lie.
Curious do you have a link to what the FBI said about the laptop around election time?

I can't exactly trust shit you say.

(and I'm curious in general.. Hunter Biden is currently about to get proper fucked by the feds so we'll know a lot more soon)

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
First, the original lies can still have an affect on the credulous who haven't been exposed to them yet - and preventing such people from being exposed to the harmful lies was the point of the moderation against them in the first place.

One new example is that the vaccines cause degenerative heart failure and/or some vague brain disease. The movement has also predictably begun to crossover with Q-Anon, so the old hits are now returning with a more delusional, and often threatening spin.
What original lies? That masking has a positive effect limiting spread? That masks WEREN'T necessary? That the vaccine is safe and stops the spread? That the vaccine isn't 100% safe and DOESN'T stop the spread?

It's all over the place with covid and that's just from the CDC. Is it really necessary for TWITTER of all places to be the "truth police"? Shouldn't a reader do any due diligence in vetting the source? If someone posted that everyone should jump off a building but the pure of heart will float to the ground, is that a bannable statement. Is it a question of reach or popularity?

Again, if you have access to Twitter NOW, then I'd say the past 2+ years of covid has taught you all you will ever know. Ain't no 50 year old coming out from under a rock since Feb 2020 and JUST NOW reading up on this virus thing.

Let folks say what they want. Use what they say to decide if you should listen to them in the future.

TTOOLL

Elon has mentioned that Twitter will abide by each country's/region laws. He reiterated that recently when people from Brazil were asking him to stop censorship that's apparently allowed there by law. Nothing that Twitter can do. I believe the same would happen in the EU.
Censorship is not allowed here in Brazil. We just have a couple of/some justices who decided to act like supreme overlords. It's explicit against the law to censor people here but they are using that "threat to our democracy" thing to shut up right wing people. It's worse than in the US now.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What original lies? That masking has a positive effect limiting spread? That masks WEREN'T necessary? That the vaccine is safe and stops the spread? That the vaccine isn't 100% safe and DOESN'T stop the spread?

It's all over the place with covid and that's just from the CDC. Is it really necessary for TWITTER of all places to be the "truth police"? Shouldn't a reader do any due diligence in vetting the source? If someone posted that everyone should jump off a building but the pure of heart will float to the ground, is that a bannable statement. Is it a question of reach or popularity?

Again, if you have access to Twitter NOW, then I'd say the past 2+ years of covid has taught you all you will ever know. Ain't no 50 year old coming out from under a rock since Feb 2020 and JUST NOW reading up on this virus thing.

Let folks say what they want. Use what they say to decide if you should listen to them in the future.

*sigh*

Censorship is not allowed here in Brazil. We just have a couple of/some justices who decided to act like supreme overlords. It's explicit against the law to censor people here but they are using that "threat to our democracy" thing to shut up right wing people. It's worse than in the US now.

What does that mean though? It's not allowed in the Brazilian constitution but judges in the Supreme Court ruled that it is allowed? If it's similar to the US the SC is the law of the land and it would not be allowed until a reverse in the ruling. And twitter - and other companies - would have to abide by it until then.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nerd internet vs normie internet, two very different experiences.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I mean its not like one day the internet was all freaks and geeks and the next day it was polite society; its been a steady evolution over the past 20 odd years.

Facebook was established back in 2004 for example, with it peaking around 2012-ish? and the content filtration really kicking in around 2015.

As I asserted in a previous post, where's the evidence to show that any of these attempts at weeding out "fake news" are actually having any real positive effect on public discourse?

Truthfully, I just don't see it. And I think its critically important that the benefits of any strategy be interrogated so that the situation isn't inadvertently worsened.

Personally I don't think the internet can be "tamed" without the sort of draconian oversight employed by the CCP. And that's a price I don't think we should be willing to pay.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Curious do you have a link to what the FBI said about the laptop around election time?

I can't exactly trust shit you say.

(and I'm curious in general.. Hunter Biden is currently about to get proper fucked by the feds so we'll know a lot more soon)
My apologies, they were "former officials..."

The stories like this drop, FBI then approaches Facebook and the like saying there may be "heavy Russian disinfo for the elections..." then they draw their "own correlations" where every major social media acted at the unironically exact same time.

Then "whistleblowers" if they're to be believed.

As for him getting "fucked by the feds," I personally won't hold my breath, unless there are plans to take down the "big guy" as well. Otherwise, it's symbolic.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

My apologies, they were "former officials..."

OK so not the FBI lol

So now we've established:

- FBI hadn't said shit about the Hunter Biden laptop publicly about it being mis-information
- FBI didn't say anything about the laptop to Facebook (and likely not Twitter either, I can't imagine they prepare special messaging for different social media companies, if it's to be presumed they contacted Twitter)

Former officials can be wrong.. they could be currupt, who knows? But the FBI didn't tell anyone to suppress the Hunter Biden laptop story, that we know of.. at this point.

Zuckerberg specifically said that at least.

The FBI having a "dis-information" office tasked with contacting social media companies? That's a real thing.. the idea they are pro-Biden or something is just conspiracy theory though. I'll be happy to see all of this investigated though.. including the Biden / Hunter stuff in general.. and it looks like it will.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OK so not the FBI lol

So now we've established:

- FBI hadn't said shit about the Hunter Biden laptop publicly about it being mis-information
- FBI didn't say anything about the laptop to Facebook (and likely not Twitter either, I can't imagine they prepare special messaging for different social media companies, if it's to be presumed they contacted Twitter)

Former officials can be wrong.. they could be currupt, who knows? But the FBI didn't tell anyone to suppress the Hunter Biden laptop story, that we know of.. at this point.

Zuckerberg specifically said that at least.

The FBI having a "dis-information" office tasked with contacting social media companies? That's a real thing.. the idea they are pro-Biden or something is just conspiracy theory though. I'll be happy to see all of this investigated though.. including the Biden / Hunter stuff in general.. and it looks like it will.
I don't think there is a pro (insert person's name), I think there is a pro established status quo to whoever is along for that ride. Politics is also a dirty business, and much like the mob, players get "clipped."

IntentionalPun

I don't think there is a pro (insert person's name), I think there is a pro established status quo to whoever is along for that ride. Politics is also a dirty business, and much like the mob, players get "clipped."
Either way I'm not real happy with the idea of the FBI involving themselves in social media "dis-information".

So we can agree on that.

TTOOLL

What does that mean though? It's not allowed in the Brazilian constitution but judges in the Supreme Court ruled that it is allowed? If it's similar to the US the SC is the law of the land and it would not be allowed until a reverse in the ruling. And twitter - and other companies - would have to abide by it until then.

That’s exactly as crazy as it sounds. Checks and balances are not working anymore, it’s pretty complex to explain but in summary the senate and the house do not act because they are afraid they will get shafted too.

gothmog

Gold Member
[/URL]

There, now can the free speech fearmongers finally stop with their ridiculous concern trolling?
Probably not but more because Musk is doing it backwards. His company should have lead with a blog post like this in order to guide a more positive discussion and make people at ease with the transition. Instead he scared pretty much everyone that was paying the bills for no reason.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Doubtful.

He fired/attempted to fire some of twitter employees in europe in a manner that violates employment laws.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Hunter Biden stuff you guys are talking about above was a laugh. I saw some of the leaked pics where he was banging hookers and the guy all coked up. Luckily all that stuff was posted on websites where the owner of the site didnt give a shit.

It doesn't even have to be Hunter Biden's son. It could be an athlete or celeb with some sketchy shit on video. Normally every site would be gabbing about it. They might not post the videos (or if they did they'd blur it out) for sake of not being R rated content. But at least they rag on him making his dad Joe look like an idiot father to boot. Yet no doubt a lot of news sites ignored it like it didn't even happen. And when Joe got questioned about it, the guy played dumb as if it never happened either. What an asshole.

It’s all agenda driven media.
This is the problem when it becomes so polarized and politicized. If I read a negative piece of news about Twitter or Elon it is a safer bet to assume it is what that person wants to believe is real, created entirely out of semi-plausible sounding scenarios they dreamt up and know would never be challenged because they meet the audiences expectations and desires 100%, not what is actually happening.

Until they show me a server room literally on fucking fire and Elon trying to put it out with a can of Diet Coke the media can fuck the hell off.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Excellent journalism by insiders yet again

Edit: actually now that I think about it, wasn't it Elon himself that said they were removing it? Every article has quotes from "experts" coming up with lots of rationale why it will happen, but I think Elon first said something. Wonder where he heard from.

He never considered doing so? Then what was this all about?

Did Musk really go on a day long tantrum attacking Apple over a misunderstanding or something? Or did Musk make it up to drum up support? 🤣

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Edit: actually now that I think about it, wasn't it Elon himself that said they(Apple) were removing it? Every article has quotes from "experts" coming up with lots of rationale why it will happen, but I think Elon first said something. Wonder where he heard from.

Musk created an imagined crisis to solve?
The thought had occurred.

I'm curious where he got this from too and about the mind virus to cause the suicide of civilization.

IntentionalPun

Musk just being outright wrong (or lying) about Apple threatening them...but publicly accusing them and calling their CEO out on Twitter across multiple tweets..

Just good lord dude.. lol

The whole erratic memeing CEO routine has got to come to an end soon for Musk.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Musk just being outright wrong (or lying) about Apple threatening them...but publicly accusing them and calling their CEO out on Twitter across multiple tweets..

Or one of the rainbow haired App Store moderators threatened it without Cook knowing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Hunter Biden stuff you guys are talking about above was a laugh. I saw some of the leaked pics where he was banging hookers and the guy all coked up. Luckily all that stuff was posted on websites where the owner of the site didnt give a shit.

It doesn't even have to be Hunter Biden's son. It could be an athlete or celeb with some sketchy shit on video. Normally every site would be gabbing about it. They might not post the videos (or if they did they'd blur it out) for sake of not being R rated content. But at least they rag on him making his dad Joe look like an idiot father to boot. Yet no doubt a lot of news sites ignored it like it didn't even happen. And when Joe got questioned about it, the guy played dumb as if it never happened either. What an asshole.
I think the bigger deal were the pics supposedly showing him with his brothers underage daughter, as well as all the documents about Ukrainian deals and whatnot. Those hooker pics were just the salacious fluff to distract.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Last edited:

I'll be honest this whole thing kind of makes no sense, but I don't think Tim Cook invites Elon on campus for a personal chat simply in response Elon totally making something up. I don't know what that implies though, could be a few possible things, but only they really know.

Yes. No one reported it until Musk claimed that Apple had threatened them "for no reason". I'd be shocked if it wasn't posted in this very thread.
Yea I realized that. That said, it quickly became the narrative with insiders chiming in very quickly.

IntentionalPun

I'll be honest this whole thing kind of makes no sense, but I don't think Tim Cook invites Elon on campus for a personal chat simply in response Elon totally making something up. I don't know what that implies though, could be a few possible things, but only they really know.

I dunno, your "there must be something more" logic doesn't work for me. The situation easily could have warranted a face to face considering the enormity of what is at stake with the GOP chiming in about anti-trust over Musk's comments no matter what actually transpired.

I dunno, your "there must be something more" logic doesn't work for me. The situation easily could have warranted a face to face considering the enormity of what is at stake with the GOP chiming in about anti-trust over Musk's comments no matter what actually transpired.
Yeah, one of the possible implications is that Elon struck a nerve with his ranting and Tim needs to smooth things over with him. Despite what Elon said about app stores, it's in his best interest for Twitter to be on it and it's in Tim's best interest to not have Elon using his microphone to rile up politicians.

Wild times we live in guys and gals. Tim Cook backed down against Twitter because he wants free speech supporters to keep buying iPhones. EU saying it’s gonna ban Twitter is just a warning shot or “bait” to get a read on the room from a government position . I have no doubt the US government will come in and declare changes are coming to social media . But twitter was just dandy beforehand, 😂 when it was controlled by one political party….. Use discernment. My advice? Put your politics down and remember we all deserve to be heard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom