• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft E3 Lineup - Rayman to be Wii launch title, first pic

I come home from a long day and I get this golden thread, I love you guys. It was the Gozer and Edward Scissorhands ones that put me over the edge, I am in tears.

Not just in tears from laughing so hard, but at what a joke the Wii is becoming. I really hope the Wii turns out great, but this is not a good start.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SixStringPsycho said:
MY GOD!!!!

WTF is the matter with you Nintendo!!!! If game on Wii wont look as good as Red Steel, then fuck those games!!!
?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Some funny Photoshops in here, but I still think the funniest one of all is the original pic. It just so... :lol

Thrawn

Rayman.jpg

Zuh?

What's wrong with that pic?

Not every GameCube game looks like Resident Evil 4, not every XBox 360 game looks like PGR3, etc. etc. etc.

That's about what I'd expect an average Wii title to look like ... the higher end projects will look better, but I mean you're not going to get a light year jump from XBox 1 titles from every game.

Hell, many current XBox 360 games don't even give you that.

You guys know the specs more or less of the Revolution (ugh I hate saying Wii) ... why would you expect a night and day difference?

AniHawk

soundwave05 said:
Zuh?

What's wrong with that pic?

Not every GameCube game looks like Resident Evil 4, not every XBox 360 game looks like PGR3, etc. etc. etc.

That's about what I'd expect an average Wii title to look like ... the higher end projects will look better, but I mean you're not going to get a light year jump from XBox 1 titles.

Hell, many XBox 360 games don't even give you that.
:lol

effzee said:
who is chris remo?
I'm a journalist.

And for the record, I didn't confirm that it's a PS2 screenshot, I just relayed that Ubisoft claimed the screenshot that was released was a mistake. I'm currently trying to find out what exactly the shot is. Obviously it's way past business hours now but I may have a response tomorrow.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If the shot is a PS2 shot that makes it even funnier to read the posts that defend the graphics as a Wii game. :)

Why?

Some Wii games will probably indeed look like PS2 games ... others will look much, much better.

But clearly, Nintendo went with a chipset that fits their specific needs and it's more than enough horsepower for the audience they're hoping to garner. When you're talking about many non-gamers, you're talking about people who haven't probably touched a game since the original Super Mario Bros. or Space Invaders or Pac-Man.

Even Dreamcast-level graphics would be more than suitable for what Nintendo is trying to do.

As long as the system is cheap, the better chance Nintendo has.

AniHawk said:
...Nnnnno?

Why?

Nintendo's already said a hundred times they're out of the traditional console arms race.

You just need decent 3D capability to make the types of games Nintendo is going to be banking on to get the non-gamers ... hell the DS has an adequete enough chipset for that.

Even for most of the Nintendo's franchises ... really wtf do you need shaders for in a Kirby, Pokemon, Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc. type world? :lol

Coen

Threads like these make me hope E3 floor impressions will unanimously praise the Wii version for its fun way to play, just to see you graphicwhores eat crow.

It's a new game by Michel Ancel and he's trying to optimize it for Wiii controls. The mere thought excites me. I don't care if it looks like Bubsy 3D, this will rock.

AniHawk

soundwave05 said:
Why?

Nintendo's already said a hundred times they're out of the traditional console arms race.

You just need decent 3D capability to make the types of games Nintendo is going to be banking.

Even for most of the Nintendo's franchises ... really wtf do you need shaders for in a Kirby, Pokemon, Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc. type world? :lol

So if a developer goes off the deep end and thinks just for a second that a First-person shooter or some sort of mature-rated/themed game might be somehow enjoyable on the system, with something that requires more of a graphical edge-

Bah. You know where I'm going with this.

AniHawk said:
So if a developer goes off the deep end and thinks just for a second that a First-person shooter or some sort of mature-rated/themed game might be somehow enjoyable on the system, with something that requires more of a graphical edge-

Bah. You know where I'm going with this.

You can still make those games.

Revolution still has enough horsepower to run a good Half-Life 2 level engine, and that's a pretty sweet engine and I'm sure clever developers will be able to make games that look a good deal better than even that.

If you need more than that ... well, you're out of luck, but how is this news to you?

Didn't you see you see the specs on IGN? Didn't you hear Iwata downplay graphics about 1 billion times the past year?

How much more obvious can Nintendo make it that they're not trying to make a conventional game machine?

The thing is named Wii for crying out loud.

Coen said:
Threads like these make me hope E3 floor impressions will unanimously praise the Wii version for its fun way to play, just to see you graphicwhores eat crow.

It's a new game by Michel Ancel and he's trying to optimize it for Wiii controls. The mere thought excites me. I don't care if it looks like Bubsy 3D, this will rock.
Personally, I'll take ANYTHING from Ancel, I don't even care what the system is. Still, it's cool that he gets to at least make one version on Wii since he seemed to be excited for the controller, and since he stated GameCube was his favorite version of Beyond Good & Evil (and hey, the dev environments are almost the same!).

After this, though, I really want to see him either continue Beyond Good & Evil (in general I'm not a big sequel fan but he specifically had other games planned in the series) or do something totally new. Hopefully after he knew he wasn't doing more BG&E, it was his decision to go back to Rayman rather than being pressured into it.

soundwave05 said:
You can still make those games.

Revolution still has enough horsepower to run a good Half-Life 2 level engine, and that's a pretty sweet engine and I'm sure clever developers will be able to make games that look a good deal better than even that.

If you need more than that ... well, you're out of luck, but how is this news to you?
I don't see AniHawk scoffing at the Wii we know, but the DC-Wii you theorized.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i've really got to wonder what's going on at Ubisoft after seeing scans of Red Steel, which I thought looked sufficiently good enough, to now seeing this Rayman screen. The difference in quality is way off.

in any case, great thread so far :lol

Scrow said:
i've really got to wonder what's going on at Ubisoft after seeing scans of Red Steel, which I thought looked sufficiently good enough, to now seeing this Rayman screen. The difference in quality is way off.

in any case, great thread so far :lol
The difference is: multiplatform.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/5/3-17
A few weeks ago, Ubisoft confirmed the development of a new Rayman title, which was announced to be headed to unspecified platforms. Well, the game now has an official title, platforms and a release date. The fourth Rayman game is now officially titled Rayman Raving Rabbids, it is confirmed as coming to current-gen consoles as well as the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. The Wii version in particular has been announced as a launch title, which obviously places the Wii launch squarely within "Holiday 2006" as well.
oh... so it's essentially a current gen game. well okay, the graphic's quality make a little more sense now.

poppin fresh said:
:lol WTF!

I can't believe I waited so long to click on this. Holy shit. It just got funnier and funnier. I actually didn't laugh out loud until the really ridiculous photoshops popped up. Good shit.

Chrono

Banned
soundwave05 said:

This is how I'd like a next-gen mario to look graphics wise...

Edit:

LegendofJoe said:
Well then you're fuckin nuts, it takes several months to render something like that

It's what I like to see, not expect.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Chrono lost it

c'mon dude that's just impossible even with PS3-like specs.

Top Bottom