• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 159 |OT| The Great White Hopeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ibJRO8NXn24bn.gif

UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen
Date: Saturday April 27th, 2013
City: Newark, New Jersey
Venue: Prudential Center

MAIN CARD
Starts at 10:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM PT on Pay-Per-View

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones (C) (-800) vs. Chael Sonnen (+760)
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping (-165) vs. Alan Belcher (+153)
Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson (-226) vs. Cheick Kongo (+206)
Light Heavyweight bout: Phil Davis (-310) vs. Vinny Magalhaes (+290)
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller (-295) vs. Pat Healy (+274)

PRELIMINARY CARD
Starts at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT on FX

Lightweight bout: Rustam Khabilov (-285) vs. Yancy Medeiros (+257)
Light Heavyweight bout: Gian Villante (+170) vs. Ovince St. Preux (-176)
Women's Bantamweight bout: Sara McMann (-630) vs. Sheila Gaff (+559)
Bantamweight bout: Bryan Caraway (+138) vs. Johnny Bedford (-135)

PRELIMINARY CARD
Starts at 6:35 PM ET / 3:35 PM PT, free on Facebook.com

Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia (-170) vs. Cody McKenzie (+158)
Welterweight bout: Nick Catone (+140) vs. James Head (-147)
Featherweight bout: Steven SIler (-122) vs. Kurt Holobaugh (+111)

Official Site
UFC 159 Preview
Countdown to UFC 159 - Jones vs. Sonnen
Countdown to UFC 159 - Bisping vs. Belcher

iDgdTJSFhZHUo.JPG

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
For those not keeping track, Sonnen's last light heavyweight fight was in 2005 against Renato Sobral.

And he lost.

But them wolf tickets won't sell themselves, brah.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
All things considered it's a pretty decent card outside of the main event.

I'm looking forward to Roy Nelson KO'ing Kongo for one.

MjFrancis

Am I the only one thinking Vinny is going to win against Davis? I'm surprised about those odds.
Phil Davis is going to bore Vinny to death before he can win.

Seriously, a squash match headlining with a 0.01% chance of an upset and Phil Davis is on the main card. The stars are aligned against this one.

Alchemy

Nelson v Kongo should be fight of the night. The only question is how many times Kongo will knee Roy in the balls.

Platy

As a brazilian MMA fan, this last figtht can't possibly suck.

Whatever wins will be a party !

It is always fun to see Sonnen gets beaten and if a miracle happens and Jones loose than the world will say that Silva > Jones

I think I might be the only one that wants Sonnen to win. I dont mind Jones I guess I just like to see upsets sometimes. And I liked Sonnen on TUF.

iddqd

Great thread, weird event.
This will be one of those that no one can remember.
Pat Healy looks like a good bet if someone has free money running around.

Heel

I'm thinking Jon should make this one look competitive to lure Serpentine Silver out of the high grass.

MjFrancis

Cheick Kongo has no chin left and we know what Roy Nelson can do with that.

Rustam Khabilov will suplex. And he will win.

I just hope McMann v. Gaff doesn't go to a decision. I think it will be funny if the women's 135 maintains a better finish percentage than the men's 135.

Leonard Garcia will scrap and win a decision he probably should have lost.

A Sonnen win would be amusing. In the long run it might be better for everyone - champions in the UFC these days tend to become less entertaining when they are preserving a legacy rather than fighting to finish.

muddream

Banned
As a brazilian MMA fan, this last figtht can't possibly suck.

Whatever wins will be a party !

It is always fun to see Sonnen gets beaten and if a miracle happens and Jones loose than the world will say that Silva > Jones

The Shale work a hahd, so hahd, dis a week, to make sure other peoples knows the Jones is a mush better than Anderson Silva, he no goin stop on Satchurday, other world will know the Jones > Anderson.

aJwf8fk.jpg

Sonnen gonna win. then they can have Sonnen vs Bones II at Starrcade '14.

also, Gaff is the female Frank Trigg:

sheila350.jpg

The Shale work a hahd, so hahd, dis a week, to make sure other peoples knows the Jones is a mush better than Anderson Silva, he no goin stop on Satchurday, other world will know the Jones > Anderson.

aJwf8fk.jpg

can't wait for Arona to return. 30-27s for everyone.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I could easily see Jones sleepwalk through this and just take the decision. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think it;s embarrassing for UFC that Sonnen has this title shot. I hope he gets decimated.

If Jones would have just taken the Sonnen fight and easily destroyed him last year, then this wouldn't have happened, the Vitor undeserved shot wouldn't have happened, and we also likely wouldn't have Machida getting an undeserved match winning a snoozer over Hendo.

All this because the fucker listened to Greg Jackson and bought into bullshit that the Light Heavyweight champion in peak fight condition couldn't beat a middleweight can at 50% who wasn't even training.

That move basically fucked up the LHW division for a year plus.

Sonnen is too small and won't have a chance with Bones reach, he also doesn't hit nearly hard enough to justify a punchers chance. Terrible boxing overall. His ground and pound is just there, as it doesn't end fights. His submission defense is well known, and his offense is non existent. The first fight with Silva was a perfect storm for him, down to Silva being injured. The 2nd fight on the other hand, Silva showed composure on the ground and then started stuffing his td attempts. Got stopped in the 2nd round.

Since Bones is so big, and strong, and skilled I can't imagine a scenario where Sonnen can even rely on LNP.

Chael will probably retire after this fight, he will have nowhere to go.

Dysun

Embrassing line up of main events between this and Cain/Bigfoot 2. There's also some bantamweight headliner in between. Anderson vs Weidman pls hurry up

TheNatural

My Member!
Who else could have possibly taken it? Machida is probably the only one and he turned it down. Maybe Gus but he's probably next anyway.

If Jones destroyed Chael last year, chances are no Hendo-Machida snoozer matchup is made and it would have been Jones vs. Hendo like originally planned.

Who else could have possibly taken it?
I honestly don't know. I feels so WWE it's stupid. All Sonnen has ever done is run his mouth and fail a drug test. He didn't deserve his rematch but People just want to see this idiot so he gets it. Then after losing twice (and not well the 2nd time) he gets this fight just because Dana wants to see him talk shit for 4 months and promote the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom