• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200 Tate vs Nunes |OT| The Fall of Jonesius

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilbog21

Banned
Word was that the UFC paid Lesnar more than anyone else in their history for a single fight. At the time it probably looked as if they were reinforcing an already great card but with this development I think UFC probably expected Jones to fall off and needed a huge fight that could slip into the main event.

I agree, it's such a stacked card that even losing the main event there are still loads of great fights with known names that make is an easy sell.

However, as you say, if anyone else falls out then suddenly the prestige of the card could fade very quickly.

you always have to expect that.. injuries in training before a fight is very common

JimiNutz

Banned
I've arranged a big BBQ and UFC themed party on Sat to watch UFC 200 with friends.
Many of those friends are casual fans and with the exception of one, none of them are hardcore MMA fans at all.

This shit is embarrassing...

Busty

Banned
you always have to expect that.. injuries in training before a fight is very common

True. But the pressure to make the event 'pop' like no other must have been huge. And if the UFC brass didn't have as much confidence in Jones behind the scenes it makes sense to make such a blockbuster deal for Lesnar to fight.

I've arranged a big BBQ and UFC themed party on Sat to watch UFC 200 with friends.
Many of those friends are casual fans and with the exception of one, none of them are hardcore MMA fans at all.

This shit is embarrassing...

Will any of them really care that Jones isn't fighting though? I think there's going to be more than enough quality on the card as it is to entertain the casual fan.

ldcommando

Banned
Today we have:

Jones is scheduled to speak to the media Thursday at 11:30 a.m. ET.
UFC 202 press conference with McGregor, Diaz at 2:30 p.m. ET
TUF 23 Finale weigh-ins live at 4 p.m. ET
UFC fight night 90 - 6:30 p.m. ET for the preliminary card and 10 p.m. ET for the main card.

JimiNutz

Banned
Will any of them really care that Jones isn't fighting though? I think there's going to be more than enough quality on the card as it is to entertain the casual fan.

No, they definitely care.
Whatever way you spin it, the card has just lost its main event. It doesn't matter whether you are a casual fan or not, losing the main event 3 days before is always gonna bum you out.

Its all over the media too and its just a highly embarrassing situation.

If anything casual fans care even more than the hardcore because the hardcore still recognise the depth of the card and are looking forward to the other fights.

Casual fans, like my girlfriend, simply want to watch, and I quote 'two giant black men trying to kill each other'.

Edit: I did point out to her that Cormier isn't actually very tall.

ldcommando

Banned
No, they definitely care.
Whatever way you spin it, the card has just lost its main event. It doesn't matter whether you are a casual fan or not, losing the main event 3 days before is always gonna bum you out.

Its all over the media too and its just a highly embarrassing situation.

If anything casual fans care even more than the hardcore because the hardcore still recognise the depth of the card and are looking forward to the other fights.

Casual fans, like my girlfriend, simply want to watch, and I quote 'two giant black men trying to kill each other'.

Edit: I did point out to her that Cormier isn't actually very tall.

Assuming your friends know brock lesnar, forward them this video to hype the new main event:

Mark Hunt: The King Of The Walk Away K.O - UFC200 Promo

If Hunt pulls one of those on a big guy like lesnar, it is going to be a scene, man.

ron_bato

Doesn't he have the right to appeal, he'll still be back methinks. If it's coke I honestly don't give a fuck.

It's not coke, recreational drugs are not part of out of competition testing.

This is going to be about as predictable as it's going to be, his manager already used the 'tainted supplement' defense with one of his clients, it's going to be the same tomorrow.

Fitts

I didn't want to jinx it last night, but now that it's official...

Mark Hunt -- the guy the UFC didn't want -- is now headlining their biggest card ever. What a time to be alive.

Let's go, Hunto!

And for real, thank you Brock for taking the fight.

RobertM

Jon Jones just cant get his shit together. One of the best fighters that just gets dragged out by reality and preventing him from being the greatest fighter all around.

Chesskid1

Banned
most MMA athletes become quiet as hell when PED allegations hit.. if they counter it it's usually in a statement weeks later

jones (if he is there) or his management must have something to say

hype

ldcommando

Banned
most MMA athletes become quiet as hell when PED allegations hit.. if they counter it it's usually in a statement weeks later

jones (if he is there) or his management must have something to say

hype

6k people watching a stream to hear a guy excuses

edit: starting now

JJ you're supposed to apologize after the fight for not finishing, not before the fight for not even starting. So much to learn. GSP can't return fast enough.

Which do you guys think made him run away faster, almost killing a pregnant lady or getting caught for PEDs right before the biggest event of his career?

Dana hyping UFC 200 for so long and he gets owned with his main event twice. Karma is a bitch Dana.

He was real dumb for not just keeping McGregor happy. Could've still been a great card.

edit: and also this is why other sports aren't as lenient on people who fuck up. In another sport, Jon Jones would have only had one opportunity to embarrass the sport.

nilbog21

Banned
I just don't understand why he would do PEDs with how stringent they have been with drug testing. At this point this dude has obsession with self sabotage and is legit mentally ill

ldcommando

Banned
Now to wait for the 202 presser

I´m curious to see if Conor is going to stick the knife even deeper in the ufc´s back by talking shit about jones and 200.

Fox318

I´m curious to see if Conor is going to stick the knife even deeper on the ufc´s back by talking shit about jones and 200.

both sides fucked up.

Conor should have just flown in for the commercial and Dana should have just let them have 1 mega press conference in NYC.

ron_bato

I´m curious to see if Conor is going to stick the knife even deeper on the ufc´s back by talking shit about jones and 200.

He probably will. Jones openly took shots at conor went he lost to nate and when dc-jones was named the main event.

Conor doesn't forget deez tings. He loves his numbers and he'll definitely lord over the ufc the fact that he wouldn't have put the promotion in jeopardy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom