• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK 2023: PS5 is almost outselling NSW and X|S combined

sendit

They need to keep it that way, and not piss of their fans.
It's already bad that games take 3-5 years to make these days. Adding too much live service means certain games will take longer time to make.
You're exactly right. Sony has had a shitty release schedule of single player games since the PS5 was released.

- Ghost of Tsushima (2020)
- The Last of Us 2 (2020)
- Demon's Soul (2020)
- SM:Miles Morales (2020)
- Ratchet and Clan (2021)
- Gran Tourismo 7 (2021)
- Returnal (2021)
- Last of Us Remake (2021)
- Horizon Forbidden West (2022)
- God of War Ragnarok (2022)
- HFW: Burning shoes (2023)
- Spiderman 2 (2023)

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Hmmm... I don't remember that game.
fire GIF by Shadowhunters

It looked very good.

Eotheod

Wonder how Microsoft will react if their total global sales by the "end" of this generation are 40-50m. Obviously people are delusional in thinking they will up and quite the games industry, too much free money. Plus the obvious nature of having a Trojan horse advertising machine for your big multinational company, it would be business suicide to kill off the Xbox franchise.

I hope always for more completion, because the more there is the better everyone performs.

feynoob

Banned
Wonder how Microsoft will react if their total global sales by the "end" of this generation are 40-50m. Obviously people are delusional in thinking they will up and quite the games industry, too much free money. Plus the obvious nature of having a Trojan horse advertising machine for your big multinational company, it would be business suicide to kill off the Xbox franchise.

I hope always for more completion, because the more there is the better everyone performs.
Won't happen as they already did 20m+ in at this stage.
The only way for that to happen if some series mistake happens.

Pelta88

Starfield is the big test, IMHO. If that doesn't shift Xbox consoles, nothing will.

There is an insane amount of unwarranted pressure on this ip. It has to be XBOX's TLOU moment. Anything less will be considered a failure... Which is unfair. A good game should be allowed to be just that, a good game. But poor mismanagement has led to this single ip being placed in that awkward position of saviour of the platform.

Visual fidelity, Gameplay, Frames, Narrative, Controls, and Story all need to be flawless. Again, it's an unjust situation for the IP but a catalogue of other failures have led to it being placed in that space.

Lupin25

There is an insane amount of unwarranted pressure on this ip. It has to be XBOX's TLOU moment. Anything less will be considered a failure... Which is unfair. A good game should be allowed to be just that, a good game. But poor mismanagement has led to this single ip being placed in that awkward position of saviour of the platform.

Visual fidelity, Gameplay, Frames, Narrative, Controls, and Story all need to be flawless. Again, it's an unjust situation for the IP but a catalogue of other failures have led to it being placed in that space.

It is.

It might not have to justify it with a next-gen price tag because of gamepass, but this really has to be the system-selling moment MS needs. For a lot of people, that one game could be their entry into the Xbox ecosystem.

It’s also a big year for sequel IP/mascots.
- Zelda for Nintendo
- Spider-Man for PlayStation/Sony
Even 3rd party:
- Street Fighter/Resident Evil for Capcom
- Diablo for Blizzard
- Assassin’s Creed for Ubisoft
- Star Wars/FC ‘24 for EA
- Tekken for Bandai Namco
- Final Fantasy for Square-Enix
- Silent Hill for Konami
- Mortal Kombat/Harry Potter for Warner Bros.

XGS can’t afford to be left out of that discussion again this year. And they could potentially steal lots of eyes with Starfield being a new IP. Forza as an IP, can’t be that game this year.

Last edited:
A lot of people will buy Xbox if they show different games other than gears Forza and halo. Late Xbox one had that image.

They started this gen with those games. Flight sim is a niche and a PC game, so it won't attract people.

Games like fable, starfield, avowed and to extent hell blade 2 will make people change how they view Xbox.

After that, MS will have to try and attract fighting and japanese games to their system. They have killer instinct in their vault, which for some reason aren't using it. They have couple of Japanese games, which needs a remake for their console.

There is too much potential, but unfulfilled due to the current management.

It will also remain unfulfilled as long as MS push Day 1 on PC for all of their games.

A lot of Xbox's whales have moved over to PC/Steam. Most of the remaining are on services like Game Pass, so they aren't really buying the games anymore, though they may still be buying 3P games not in the service. Casuals and mainstream probably aren't subbing to Game Pass in large numbers and aren't buying a lot of games (they usually don't). They're also being siphoned away by PlayStation, Nintendo and mobile platforms.

They can do everything you're suggesting but as long as Day 1 for all games on PC remains an initiative, they can never fully carve out a unique identity for Xbox that is going to pull whales back to the Xbox primarily. And hardware sales don't mean much if you aren't bringing in a lot of software and IAP revenue, subscription revenue etc.

feynoob

Banned
It will also remain unfulfilled as long as MS push Day 1 on PC for all of their games.

A lot of Xbox's whales have moved over to PC/Steam. Most of the remaining are on services like Game Pass, so they aren't really buying the games anymore, though they may still be buying 3P games not in the service. Casuals and mainstream probably aren't subbing to Game Pass in large numbers and aren't buying a lot of games (they usually don't). They're also being siphoned away by PlayStation, Nintendo and mobile platforms.

They can do everything you're suggesting but as long as Day 1 for all games on PC remains an initiative, they can never fully carve out a unique identity for Xbox that is going to pull whales back to the Xbox primarily. And hardware sales don't mean much if you aren't bringing in a lot of software and IAP revenue, subscription revenue etc.
That PC day1 is going to have an impact on them.
I am not going to buy Xbox this gen. Maybe xss for my little brother when it's cheap.

With EA supporting steam, I no longer need consoles for fifa.

PS5 will sell 130 millions lifetimes

IMO that is going to depend on a few things, namely:

-Does Sony go full rtard on live-service/GaaS at the expense of traditional AAA and AA 1P games?​
-Does Sony shorten the gap between 1P traditional AAA games launching on PS5 and then going to PC (or even try Day and Date)?​
-Does Sony do more aggressive 3P AAA exclusivity deals with publishers besides Square-Enix?​
-Does Sony fail to either make a couple big 3P acquisitions or even buy lots of stocks & put investments into many key 3P publishers?​

If the answers go 'No' to the first two and 'Yes' to the last two, then yeah they will easily come around 130 million. If the answer to either of the first two is 'Yes' and either of the last two is 'No', then I think they may struggle to hit it.

If the answer to either of the first two is 'Yes' and the answer to both of the last two is 'No' then they will probably be lucky to get 100 - 110 million. If the answer to the first two is 'Yes' and the last two 'No', then I can't see them even reaching 100 million. Maybe something between 90 - 100 million in that case.

At this point if XSX|S sells 1 million over lat gen then they have a reason to be happy, because anything is better than the XB1 gen.

True. Right now they are tracking at OG Xbox levels so they will be lucky to hit 6.5 million sold-through for the entire year, at current rate. Depending on how the Showcase goes and Starfield hits, though, plus any notable console exclusive 3P games or Game Pass gets, they can start reversing that and maybe at least start tracking at XBO numbers again (which on average did 8-9 million a year).

They probably can't start tracking at 360 levels (10 million a year average until Kinect released, where it skyrocketed from there) unless they can both close the ABK deal and actually have content from it to push into their service. At this rate though that deal is turning into a dead end and they'll probably pull out sometime in July (either them or ABK).

It is.

It might not have to justify it with a next-gen price tag because of gamepass, but this really has to be the system-selling moment MS needs. For a lot of people, that one game could be their entry into the Xbox ecosystem.

It’s also a big year for sequel IP/mascots.
- Zelda for Nintendo
- Spider-Man for PlayStation/Sony
Even 3rd party:
- Street Fighter/Resident Evil for Capcom
- Diablo for Blizzard
- Assassin’s Creed for Ubisoft
- Star Wars/FC ‘24 for EA
- Tekken for Bandai Namco
- Final Fantasy for Square-Enix
- Silent Hill for Konami
- Mortal Kombat/Harry Potter for Warner Bros.

XGS can’t afford to be left out of that discussion again this year. And they could potentially steal lots of eyes with Starfield being a new IP. Forza as an IP, can’t be that game this year.

Yeah, at this point Starfield has a lot on its back, but I don't think it's got the chops to be Bethesda's next Skyrim. Skyrim hit at a time where there was a lot less competition in terms of open-world games, let alone open-world RPGs, or open-world games with RPG mechanics. So many games, from Witcher 3 to GTA5 to HFW to BOTW to GOWR to Elden Ring etc., have raised the bar in various areas.

I just don't see how Bethesda outdoes them in one fell swoop via Starfield, it's simply not possible. But if they can make it a really fun and intricate game, and do their best, then it will at least be the biggest release for Microsoft & Xbox since Halo 3. I think if it measures up well, it can do Halo 3 numbers or slightly above it, so anywhere between 14.5 - 15 million or so. That's across Xbox & PC, though, and I think PC will have at least 60% of all sales in any case, likely more.

What Starfield can do for the Xbox console, though, is always going to be slightly muted because of Game Pass and PC Day 1 availability, which will dull overall game sales and Xbox hardware sales respectively.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Considering Xbox is just about ready to start releasing games, this comment seems premature.
Xbox is about to release their Phase 1 games in Phase 2.

I wish them the best of luck, but you cannot discount the fact that Sony released 10+ fantastic games since launch, and are now gearing up for ~10+ more fantastic games to release in Phase 2.

That PC day1 is going to have an impact on them.
I am not going to buy Xbox this gen. Maybe xss for my little brother when it's cheap.

With EA supporting steam, I no longer need consoles for fifa.

And with that in mind, hopefully Sony re-evaluate some of their own PC plans. There are more games than ever, and hardcore/core gamers tend to play a lot of games. So their current 2-year stagger plan could be the new Day 1 considering there are so many big & small games coming out these days, getting ongoing support, that can just pad the time for a player to be entertained while they wait for a PC port of a 1P AAA traditional game from Sony.

Yet all the while as that happens, they could lose a good amount of ARPU if those same people decide to go to PC. I don't think the GaaS/live-service MP games being Day 1 necessarily hurt them though, since they're built around monetization. That goes for both Sony and Microsoft. Those games still need to stand out though in a market getting crowded with GaaS titles.

Brucey

Yes, ever since the day 1 PC releases commenced, there's three tiers of Xbox, at rising price points to entry.

Series S at $200-$250, Series X at $500, and PC at $500+

If you want the best visuals why wouldn't you play them via gamepass on PC? The Xbox console itself is not needed in future "generations", Xbox brand will continue on.

Brucey

True. Right now they are tracking at OG Xbox levels so they will be lucky to hit 6.5 million sold-through for the entire year, at current rate. Depending on how the Showcase goes and Starfield hits, though, plus any notable console exclusive 3P games or Game Pass gets, they can start reversing that and maybe at least start tracking at XBO numbers again (which on average did 8-9 million a year).

They probably can't start tracking at 360 levels (10 million a year average until Kinect released, where it skyrocketed from there) unless they can both close the ABK deal and actually have content from it to push into their service. At this rate though that deal is turning into a dead end and they'll probably pull out sometime in July (either them or ABK).
At 6.5 million per year how long will Microsoft continue to support it? About 2.5 years in, another 3.5 years for them to evaluate their hardware console business?

Lupin25

IMO that is going to depend on a few things, namely:

-Does Sony go full rtard on live-service/GaaS at the expense of traditional AAA and AA 1P games?​
-Does Sony shorten the gap between 1P traditional AAA games launching on PS5 and then going to PC (or even try Day and Date)?​
-Does Sony do more aggressive 3P AAA exclusivity deals with publishers besides Square-Enix?​
-Does Sony fail to either make a couple big 3P acquisitions or even buy lots of stocks & put investments into many key 3P publishers?​

If the answers go 'No' to the first two and 'Yes' to the last two, then yeah they will easily come around 130 million. If the answer to either of the first two is 'Yes' and either of the last two is 'No', then I think they may struggle to hit it.

If the answer to either of the first two is 'Yes' and the answer to both of the last two is 'No' then they will probably be lucky to get 100 - 110 million. If the answer to the first two is 'Yes' and the last two 'No', then I can't see them even reaching 100 million. Maybe something between 90 - 100 million in that case.

Yeah, at this point Starfield has a lot on its back, but I don't think it's got the chops to be Bethesda's next Skyrim. Skyrim hit at a time where there was a lot less competition in terms of open-world games, let alone open-world RPGs, or open-world games with RPG mechanics. So many games, from Witcher 3 to GTA5 to HFW to BOTW to GOWR to Elden Ring etc., have raised the bar in various areas.

I just don't see how Bethesda outdoes them in one fell swoop via Starfield, it's simply not possible. But if they can make it a really fun and intricate game, and do their best, then it will at least be the biggest release for Microsoft & Xbox since Halo 3. I think if it measures up well, it can do Halo 3 numbers or slightly above it, so anywhere between 14.5 - 15 million or so. That's across Xbox & PC, though, and I think PC will have at least 60% of all sales in any case, likely more.

What Starfield can do for the Xbox console, though, is always going to be slightly muted because of Game Pass and PC Day 1 availability, which will dull overall game sales and Xbox hardware sales respectively.

Another Fallout 76 kind of release would be dismal for Bethesda.

It doesn’t have to it innovate the open-world genre in the same respect as TOTK or Elden Ring have over the last two years.

But as a next-gen game releasing in 2023 with multiple delays, it definitely needs to be unique in its own regard. People need more of a reason to move on from XBO / PS4 / NSW and there won’t be much of a reason to until later this year.

FritzJ92

I think it’s fair to say, maybe Microsoft is/has given up on actually selling a high amount of consoles. Their continued push on PC will mean that they could never physically sell as much as PlayStation or Switch.

noise36

So it should, its the default gaming console at this point , CMA ABK decision only cemented their position as market leader for this generation. The CMA wants people buying a proprietary box at RRP and games at RPP and the market via the sales figures agrees, UK has rejected cheaper gaming with more ubiquitous access.

MS could never achieve the Playstation level mindshare and sales, even if they had the same quality of games, due to GP and PC day one release, weakens their console brand even if its great for consumers.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
Why do we care how well any of the consoles are selling? Its not line we see any of that money.

Top Bottom