• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: "Last of Us Part 2 sales in the UK are more than double what Part 1 managed"

ProtoByte

Can we have two thoughts at the same time?

1. Needlessly woke shit is bad. REE types policing consumption and language are bad.

2. The Last of Us Part II features a trans character (#TeamLev) who just wants to feel human. This isn't woke - a person trying to figure out how and where to be authentic is a universal experience. Ellie isn't a woke character either - she's just gay, who cares.

TLOU2 isn't woke at all - it's human.

P.S. Abby is a gorgeous beefcake fight me.
I can mostly agree that Ellie isn't woke. Lev's inclusion and plot line - which Abby's POV is just secondhand lens into - is 99% wokery.

The stereotypical traditionalist cult that isn't even fully traditional, the low rent YA tier writing, the massive distraction it creates when the main throughline of the story (ie Ellie vs. Abby) gets severely underdeveloped. It's just wedged into the plot for no real reason. They dress it up as a retread of the journey Joel had with Ellie as a way to humanize Abby but there's 2 objective problems:

1. Abby and Lev know each other for less than 3 full days through the main stretch of the game where Joel and Ellie spent a year on screen together.

2. "My cult family doesn't accept that I'm a real boy!" is much less pertinent and has way lower stakes than "I am the potential cure to the world".

Last edited:

Calverz

Good thing too.

You identify as an Xbox.

Not that it's not ok, it's 2024 after all.

Yeah don't know what a third party dev has to do with this

Season 5 Summer GIF by grown-ish

Any other Avengers missing?

ByWatterson

Do enlighten my ignorant self.

The central thematic tension is that one life ought to be as important as all lives. To a parent, a lover, a brother, one life is worth the whole world. That's why Joel works as a character - because we all understand that deep down.

So Lev's life to Abby is just as important as Ellie's life to Joel.

The Last of Us is extraordinary because it takes a tropey end of the world scenario and shrinks it to a scale - the small, familial scale - that actually matters.

Last edited:

Aenima

1. Needlessly woke shit is bad. REE types policing consumption and language are bad.

2. The Last of Us Part II features a trans character (#TeamLev) who just wants to feel human. This isn't woke - a person trying to figure out how and where to be authentic is a universal experience. Ellie isn't a woke character either - she's just gay, who cares.

Lev wanting to become a men or better be treated like a men was more due to her place in her tribe, where women is meant to become baby factories, and men the hunters, and Lev wanted to be a hunter so she shaved her head (thing that identify men in her tribe). So it was not really a trans by sexuality but more a gender swap by crossdressing in order to chase her dreams. Jeanne d'Ark did the same to become a fighter for her country and among the multiple titles she has, trans in not one of them.

ByWatterson

Lev wanting to become a men or better be treated like a men was more due to her place in her tribe, where women is meant to become baby factories, and men the hunters, and Lev wanted to be a hunter so she shaved her head (thing that identify men in her tribe). So it was not really a trans by sexuality but more a gender swap by crossdressing in order to chase her dreams. Jeanne d'Ark did the same to become a fighter for her country and among the multiple titles she has, trans in not one of them.

Totally agree, always took it that way.

Lev is ostensibly trans, but mostly just didn't want to be what the tribe said a woman was.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Surprisingly sane takes here, wow. And the sales tail will only grow afrer S2 HBO promo start. Look like Sony's media strategy is working quite well for them.

I've bought my upgrade few days ago and cannot wait to re-traumatize myself.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

The Last of Us fans deserve their victory lap. They definitely get a lot of shit. Honestly, I don't know if anyone actually predicted this wouldn't sell though. Almost anything Sony 1st party sells crazy numbers these days.

We definitely saw people on here saying they're sick of the re-releases, so this is the nail in that coffin. Probably getting more things like this since it's so insanely profitable.
I’ve no idea why people are so mad about this release in the first place. If you played it originally and still have the disc or bought it digitally, you get some nice updates for $10. If you never played it, you can now play a better version. If you’re not interested, walk away. Don’t buy it! Who cares?!

I fail to see what the issue is. Gamers are funny people. I guess, really, people are funny people. Such is the way.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
da0aead6cf71178ffc25be317c16809edeae07b9.gif
Played the last of us 2 on a ps4 slim in 2020, ND seems to clearly know how to be dramatic and they like building around characters (Ellie, Tommy, Abby etc.) Enemies make you feel very anxious in a good way where I couldn't put down the controller.

Easily a top 10 game all time.

ProtoByte

But, women Scars are on the front lines of combat in TLOU2. Like, all the time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I wish we could bro. I agree with your two points, but the majority won't allow reasonable people like yourself to exist. We are the minority. :(

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I wish we could bro. I agree with your two points, but the majority won't allow reasonable people like yourself to exist. We are the minority. :(
Going by the sales, user scores and the % of game completion people like us is the overwhelming majority. It's the internet minority who is very vocal about basically non-issues.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’ve no idea why people are so mad about this release in the first place. If you played it originally and still have the disc or bought it digitally, you get some nice updates for $10. If you never played it, you can now play a better version. If you’re not interested, walk away. Don’t buy it! Who cares?!

I fail to see what the issue is. Gamers are funny people. I guess, really, people are funny people. Such is the way.
Yeah, I don't know. I said a while ago I think the DLC is worth the $10.

Boss Mog

But GAF told me no one wanted this game...that it was woke and that it was useless because PS4 version already had a 60fps mode?

20M copies sold around the time Season 2 debuts?

That tweet doesn't give any info on what they call "sales" so maybe wait til somebody defines that before acting cute. Do they count $10 upgrades as "sales"? Even w/o counting upgrades, the physical version is significantly cheaper than part 1 and it's already being discounted heavily in stores and online where I live.

I mean if you think about it, the game is about 2 women fighting each other for a man.
Isn't that like... the opposite of woke? lol

Stooky

I can mostly agree that Ellie isn't woke. Lev's inclusion and plot line - which Abby's POV is just secondhand lens into - is 99% wokery.

The stereotypical traditionalist cult that isn't even fully traditional, the low rent YA tier writing, the massive distraction it creates when the main throughline of the story (ie Ellie vs. Abby) gets severely underdeveloped. It's just wedged into the plot for no real reason. They dress it up as a retread of the journey Joel had with Ellie as a way to humanize Abby but there's 2 objective problems:

1. Abby and Lev know each other for less than 3 full days through the main stretch of the game where Joel and Ellie spent a year on screen together.

2. "My cult family doesn't accept that I'm a real boy!" is much less pertinent and has way lower stakes than "I am the potential cure to the world".
somebody woke up triggerd this morning . you forgot the part when lev saved abby’s life. pretty big plot point.

Last edited:
That tweet doesn't give any info on what they call "sales" so maybe wait til somebody defines that before acting cute. Do they count $10 upgrades as "sales"? Even w/o counting upgrades, the physical version is significantly cheaper than part 1 and it's already being discounted heavily in stores and online where I live.

These are physical sales. There is no 10 dollar upgrade for physical.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Going by the sales, user scores and the % of game completion people like us is the overwhelming majority. It's the internet minority who is very vocal about basically non-issues.

VERY great point! Thanks for that reminder. The internet is a wild place, but most of the time it's just full of the vocal minority (that "FEELS" like the majority at times).

Aenima

But, women Scars are on the front lines of combat in TLOU2. Like, all the time.
They are, and Lev sister had no problems becoming a hunter. But in Lev tribe ppl are assigned roles. And Lev role was to be a baby factory to the leader of the tribe or someone else, dont remember well. Thats the reason she shaved her head, to look like a men and become a hunter like her sister. She explain that in the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean it came in 3rd place after EAFC24 which was released in September.
How much that game is down from launch and is still at #2 tells you more about what sort of numbers to expect for TLOU2R launch
We already know the original Remaster was selling more then the Remake, this isn't a very high bar to jump.

Raonak

Banned
I feel like most people who liked TLOU beyond just surface level really liked TLOU2.

It's an extremely ambitious sequel, which both stayed true to the themes of the first game, but also told a completely different story rather than retreading the magic of the first.

The game is more of an emotional rollercoaster than the first, and that's I think why it'll keep resonating with people.

Plus it helps that the gameplay is amazzzzing.

Top Bottom