• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: "Last of Us Part 2 sales in the UK are more than double what Part 1 managed"

I mean it came in 3rd place after EAFC24 which was released in September.
How much that game is down from launch and is still at #2 tells you more about what sort of numbers to expect for TLOU2R launch
We already know the original Remaster was selling more then the Remake, this isn't a very high bar to jump.
Well this doesn't count any upgraded copies which would be substantial

ProtoByte

somebody woke up triggerd this morning . you forgot the part when lev saved abby’s life. pretty big plot point.
I'm not in the least bit triggered.
Abby's life was saved by Lev because they wrote it that way.

They are, and Lev sister had no problems becoming a hunter. But in Lev tribe ppl are assigned roles. And Lev role was to be a baby factory to the leader of the tribe or someone else, dont remember well. Thats the reason she shaved her head, to look like a men and become a hunter like her sister. She explain that in the game.
I remembered that, but I was wondering if you did. You said:

"where women is meant to become baby factories"

So, now that we've established that it's not strictly a gender issue with this cult (that somehow thinks that arranged child marriage for girls is appropriate and has women on the front line at the same time) but shitty luck for Lev/Lilly, where does the trans angle come in other than for it to be there? Their story and everything, but it's obviously not going to resonate with a large contigent of players. Beyond that, it is, imo, poorly written.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I mean it came in 3rd place after EAFC24 which was released in September.
How much that game is down from launch and is still at #2 tells you more about what sort of numbers to expect for TLOU2R launch
We already know the original Remaster was selling more then the Remake, this isn't a very high bar to jump.

It's probably going to sell 50-60k in the first week in the UK with digital. That alone is good for a re-release title that has a $10 upgrade path. Selling 1-2 million copies before season 2 would be impressive.

So, now that we've established that it's not strictly a gender issue with this cult (that somehow thinks that arranged child marriage for girls is appropriate and has women on the front line at the same time) but shitty luck for Lev/Lilly, where does the trans angle come in other than for it to be there? Their story and everything, but it's obviously not going to resonate with a large contigent of players. Beyond that, it is, imo, poorly written.

Lol you're more obsessed with the trans identity than the game is

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Lol you're more obsessed with the trans identity than the game is
I'm not even offended by it. I just think Abby's half of the story is poorly written. If they instead had Lilly's arc be an edgy YA version of post apocalyptic Mulan instead of the trans thing, it would still be poorly written. But we're discussing wokery, and I'm not going to pretend the wokery isn't there.

I'm not even offended by it. I just think Abby's half of the story is poorly written. If they instead had Lilly's arc be an edgy YA version of post apocalyptic Mulan instead of the trans thing, it would still be poorly written. But we're discussing wokery, and I'm not going to pretend the wokery isn't there.

It basically is a mulan story. Again, you're more focused on the trans issue than the game itself.

Toons

The trans angle comes in that he identifies as a man. Thats literally it.

Its not that complicated. You dont have to agree with that if you do want to but in the context of the game... thats the story.

Many trans identifying indivuals have a variety of reasons for doing so, often influenced by their upbringing.

Last edited:

Toons

That's kinda the thing tho, is that "wokery" to you isnt wokes to someone else. And something that isnt woke to you is to someone else. Theres no actual meaning, its an ideological term used for ideological reasons, based entirely on one's own personal preference. Its arbitrary.

For you its the trans identity stuff. For someone else even Mulan itself would be woke. For another its because ellie is gay. This is the problem, is that the term is a meaningless buzzword used as a stand in for "I have ideological grievances with this media".

But that in and of itself doesn't address the games quality on its own. Clearly, many feel the games quality to be up to par either in spite of, or because of these more socially charged elements. Either way, the years long campaign against the game, it's devs, its fans; and its maker have proven fruitless perhaps more so than any other instance.

Last edited:
UK has some serious steroid problems so no surprise part 2 is doing well over there.
They’re also renowned for their appreciation of beautiful women.

season 5 episode 10 GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well this doesn't count any upgraded copies which would be substantial
I was gonna ask if Sony ever released numbers for Upgrades
I mean it's a profit margin so where does that get lumped into.
It can't be just disregard.
It's probably going to sell 50-60k in the first week in the UK with digital. That alone is good for a re-release title that has a $10 upgrade path. Selling 1-2 million copies before season 2 would be impressive.
Seems reasonable

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
#56 on Amazon UK Best Sellers

Tekken 8 is doing good though @#4
Might take the top spot next week💪

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Barry Ugh GIF by HBO

You really can't argue with stupid idiots.

Almost the same as the previous version that was running for FREE just FINE if you had a PS4 game from 4 years ago... but nope.... we gotta spend more money on nothing so we can show Sony we are fucking idiot goats that will buy garbage no effort upgrade.

I swear Sony is giving them its shoe and these people are just holding the shoe with both hands and licking it

Shakka43

But GAF told me no one wanted this game...that it was woke and that it was useless because PS4 version already had a 60fps mode?
It is woke, and it is useless to a bunch of people who don't own VRR TVs. The game is basically the same at 1440p.

It is still a great game with the best TPS gameplay out there so I'm happy it's still finding new audience.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its a really good game IMO

The graphics, story, presentation. All of it is top notch and this was all done on last gen hardware too which is even more impressive.
And even after 4 years, I don't think any game has been able to surpass TLOU in terms of animation, despite having the power of current-gen hardware.

That speaks volume on the quality of TLOU 2.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
And even after 4 years, I don't think any game has been able to surpass TLOU in terms of animation, despite having the power of current-gen hardware.

That speaks volume on the quality of TLOU 2.

There is a Starfield joke here somewhere.

Animation is more about want-to and artistic talent than it is horse power.

bender

What time is it?
lol, really, no.

I agree, artistic talent and efforts are #1, but better CPU and GPUs do help. You can compute more and more easily, and your rendering can have finer details.

Sure it helps. I'm still drunk off of Ghost Trick which was a DS game and puts most of the industry to shame in terms of animation quality.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Part 1 is the third version of LOU1. LOU1 gamers burned out already. Pretty sure LOU1 Remaster sold a ton too.

Sony releases so many version of their games, the next similar comparison would be LOU3 Remaster (the second version of LOU3) vs. Part 2 v2 (the third version of LOU2).

VulcanRaven

Barry Ugh GIF by HBO

Almost the same as the previous version that was running for FREE just FINE if you had a PS4 game from 4 years ago... but nope.... we gotta spend more money on nothing so we can show Sony we are fucking idiot goats that will buy garbage no effort upgrade.

I swear Sony is giving them its shoe and these people are just holding the shoe with both hands and licking it
I'm pretty sure most buyers are new that don't know or care about the upgrade option.

Embearded

Barry Ugh GIF by HBO

I could argue with that point but i agree with your first statement, so i won't.

From installbase:

German charts by Gfk Entertainment:
Week 03 2024
Physical retail sales only.

PlayStation 5
01 The Last of Us Part II Remastered
02 Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
03 Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Xbox Series
01 Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Nintendo Switch
01 Super Mario Bros. Wonder
04 Another Code: Recollection
06 Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

PlayStation 4
01 GTA V
02 Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Xbox One
01 GTA V

PC
01 Farming Simulator 22

Mr Moose

Part 1 is the third version of LOU1. LOU1 gamers burned out already. Pretty sure LOU1 Remaster sold a ton too.

Sony releases so many version of their games, the next similar comparison would be LOU3 Remaster (the second version of LOU3) vs. Part 2 v2 (the third version of LOU2).
Coming for Bethesdas crown.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Barry Ugh GIF by HBO

Its $10 and includes a fucking beautiful 4K upgrade, it looks WAY better than the PS4 because of that alone.

It has new content, deleted content, dev commentary, a brand new mode, and an entire making of Documentry coming in a week from now.. Stop acting like its the end of the world.

I guarantee you've never once said anything about the 30+ RE4 remasters and re-releases that are all literally full price released multiple times a generation. lol

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Barry Ugh GIF by HBO

We ain't "gotta" do a damn thing my man. If you don't want it.....don't buy it. And there ain't no "we" unless you want to ante up and help pay for whatever I play.

Last edited:

Elios83

Given that most people realistically just paid for the 10$ digital upgrade this is even more impressive.
Unfortunately some people can't deal with the success of this IP and ND for some reason:messenger_grinning_sweat:"pie_tears_joy:

First it says right there on that topic that TLOU2 sold 10M copies...which means it's outdated as hell. That was the data from early 2022. From those Insomniac leaks from early 2023 TLOU2 was at above 12.5M. It's been almost another year since then. The game is probably approaching 15M or more.

There's also the fact you're comparing a game like TLOU that was released on PS3, PS4 (that didn't have BC, so you HAD to buy a new full copy of the game to play it again on new hardware. Lots of double dippers did it), then it had a remake released in 2022 for PS5 AND PC. And still, launch aligned and with a single sku, TLOU2 is still treading above the first game that wasn't anywhere close to 15M after 3 and half years in stores. It had also been heavily discounted countless times. TLOU2 as we speak is at 40 bucks on the PS store.

Top Bottom