• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts | PS5 #1 Hardware, 65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC (Digital+Physical)

Umbasaborne

Banned
I dont get why they dont just cancel all future xbox ports! Better yet, microsoft should go bankrupt and anyone who is found with an xbox should be sent to prison!

/s, but seriously, when there are less xbox’s in homes than playstations the sales split is unsurprising. I dont think the reason, as many of you really want to think it is, is that xbox gamers dont buy games.

Three

No the poster was mentioning 50 million sales or something...which is no where near what the uk number is.
Only because the poster before that poster mentioned 50 million people who couldn't play it. So he said you think none of those 50 million have upgraded?
50% of series s users are new to ecosystems and it's 60% of sales.Series x/s sales are around 21 million so at best only 10 million have upgraded.
This math ain't mathing. At best it can be 14.7M.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Only because the poster before that poster mentioned 50 million people who couldn't play it. So he said you think none of those 50 million have upgraded?

This math ain't mathing. At best it can be 14.7M.

Yeah, ok but I had noticed they had made some weird comment to me about why hasn't everyone bought a series S or something weird...very odd comments.

Do we know the split for PS4 / PS5 on that 65 percent number?

Three

but seriously, when there are less xbox’s in homes than playstations the sales split is unsurprising. I dont think the reason, as many of you really want to think it is, is that xbox gamers dont buy games.
The console sales split in the UK is 60/40. Resident evil 4 sales would be a 76/24 split. For whatever reason xbox users were less interested in buying the game but this may be due to the absence of an xbox one version.

That's a good point, might be worth asking Chris if he knows.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yeah, ok but I had noticed they had made some weird comment to me about why hasn't everyone bought a series S or something weird...very odd comments.

Wouldn't be fully accurate even if we knew the split, the PS4 version has a free upgrade to PS5. I've bought PS4 versions before because they were cheaper.

reksveks

From the physical results for Re4 remake in the first week so

73% of Resident Evil 4's boxed sales were on PS5, 14% on the Xbox consoles, and 13% on PS4

86:14 physical
65:20* combined also 76.5:23.5

* excluding PC here

Unfortunately we need the digital to physical splits to give us a bit more info.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Stop posting things like this or Microsoft is gonna use it against Sony and Sony can't survive without COD!!!!!!!!

Cringe Reaction GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No comment on the Xbox hardware, Game Pass is definitely conditioning people (mostly parents I’m guessing) not to buy games anymore, as Activision and MS acknowledge.
This is a good point.

I can see conversations between parents and kids that go like, "We already pay $15 p/m for your gaming. Why do you need another $70 to buy this new game now?!"

Xbox's 20% share isn't that surprising to me. We all kind of knew these numbers.

What's more revealing to me is that PC only accounted for 16% of sales. RE4 is an excellent PC port. Why is PS outselling PC by almost 4x?
This just shows how powerful Playstation is as a brand.
And this is in the UK...imagine Europe overall.

We'll probably have this data in the next few weeks.

ProtoByte

Xbox's 20% share isn't that surprising to me. We all kind of knew these numbers.

What's more revealing to me is that PC only accounted for 16% of sales. RE4 is an excellent PC port. Why is PS outselling PC by almost 4x?
PC is a significant enough market for most AAA game genres, but people vastly overestimate how much actually gets sold on there. The Steam Top Sellers list gives rankings, not numbers.

But I'm told when it comes to digital sales games are an even split between PS and Xbox.

Also do Xbox gamers think every game will come to game pass and don't buy them any more?

Lasha

From the physical results for Re4 remake in the first week so

86:14 physical
65:20* combined also 76.5:23.5

* excluding PC here

Unfortunately we need the digital to physical splits to give us a bit more info.

Thats not as egregious of a split as people are making it out to be. PS5 and Series consoles were roughly neck and neck at around 2 million in the UK. PS4 sold between 7 and 8 million units. Roughly 80% of the console market for this game was Sony platforms and 20% is series consoles. Its roughly the distribution you would expect.

quest

Not Banned from OT
But I'm told when it comes to digital sales games are an even split between PS and Xbox.

Also do Xbox gamers think every game will come to game pass and don't buy them any more?
Or xbox gamers are more sensitive to bad broken ports. The deadzone issue is something that broke the game then the patch fixes that and kills performance. Why buy a shit port its clear the xbox version is fuck it ship it broken or not.

GHG

Microsoft itself downplayed the need for consoles with Cloud gaming and stuff. Why would people now buy them.

I've noted it before but as a business they have exhibited some of the most bizarre behaviour over the last couple of years.

The combination of targeting/chasing customers who don't have money and then encouraging those already in your ecosystem to not spend money (Microsoft rewards etc) will inevitably result in the numbers that we are now seeing on a more frequent basis. It reeks of desperation but I really don't get what their long term plan is with all of this.

Even if they successfully gained market share via this methodology, how do you eventually extract money from those who don't have money (and will likely never have money because of the fact that you're giving them a cheap/free avenue to spending time playing games 24/7 for a lifetime)? How do you change your customers spending habits/mentalities when all you've ever promoted is everything around them not spending money?

Last edited:
No comment on the Xbox hardware, Game Pass is definitely conditioning people (mostly parents I’m guessing) not to buy games anymore, as Activision and MS acknowledge.

100%. And MS knows this. Which is why they are making every attempt to secure (buy) content. They are either going to succeed of it is going to bite them in the butt. RE4 Remake is a case of it biting them in the butt.

Covid and supply issues was a literal gift from the Heavens for Xbox. Sony was MEANT to bury Xbox right out of the gate.

As it were, the best thing for Microsoft occurred, and people were forced to consider the possibility of buying the rival machine just because they have no other choice. If Xbox had their games lined up to hit Sony when they were vulnerable, they could have done the impossible. 2022 Gave Xbox a chance. A relatively even playing field

Xbox couldn't hit the homerun when they needed to. And now the opportunity is gone.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've noted it before but as a business they have exhibited some of the most bizarre behaviour over the last couple of years.

The combination of targeting/chasing customers who don't have money and then encouraging those already in your ecosystem to not spend money (Microsoft rewards etc) will inevitably result in the numbers that we are now seeing on a more frequent basis. It reeks of desperation but I really don't get what their long term plan is with all of this.

Even if they successfully gained market share via this methodology, how do you eventually extract money from those who don't have money (and will likely never have money because of the fact that you're giving them a cheap/free avenue to spending time playing games 24/7 for a lifetime)? How do you change your customers spending habits/mentalities when all you've ever promoted is everything around them not spending money?
Exactly. That's why I have been critical of Microsoft's Xbox business model. It just doesn't make sense. And as numbers continue to prove, it just doesn't work either.

To add to the above, Xbox also does one more thing that doesn't make any sense to me: they pay Japanese developers to port their old games to Xbox and then put those games on Game Pass (e.g., Persona).

It may win them temporary forum/Internet points, but how that makes any financial sense is beyond me.
  • Because of low HW and SW sales, you have to pay money to developers to port their games. (instead of the other way around).
  • You then put those games on Game Pass (so no retail sales and recovery of said porting money)
  • Those are old games (e.g., Persona) that fans have already bought and played on other platforms. So it's not like PS people (who have already played Persona years ago and have those games in their PS library) would leave PS and subscribe to Game Pass to play ... Persona.
There is no financial recovery in this model, and for the love of God, I cannot understand the rationale.

/rant.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Series X is being sold at a discount on Amazon UK. Guess that means no shortages.
Really? Can you share a link/screenshot please?

Because "Series X shortage" has been a huge talking point on the Internet in the last couple of months ever since PS started becoming easily available.

Luigi Mario

Another disastrous month for Xbox Series consoles in their second-strongest market. They shouldn't get outsold by the Switch, which is in its 7th year, so regularly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom